Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The read was Samanic had the tools but none of the motivation. Barlow seems to have the tools and a drive.

There so much talent in the league now that you want players who keep improving year after year.

Barlow seemed to have gotten stronger and that's a good sign.

Wesley is problematic because the needle doesn't seem to have moved in terms of gaining more skill. He obviously is quick but he's still making mistakes.
    I believe in Wesley's work ethic, and I would bet that his scoring has noticeably improved, but he hasn't had much chance to showcase it because he's trying to facilitate with no real offensive plan from the coach.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow or Bassey?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow or Bassey?
    Both

Fantasy Football Guru Guru of Nothing's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give this man a huge raise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't want to overreact to a few summer league games, but Barlow seems to have made huge strides. He was so lost during the regular season. He looks so much more comfortable and his mid range game has been revelatory. They need to get him under contract, but it's crazy how many really young dudes they have on this roster. Almost half the roster can't even drink legally.

Wemby 19
    Sidy 19
    Sochan 20
    Barlow 20
    Branham 20
    Wesley 20
    Champagnie 22
    Bassey 22
    Vassell 22
    Keldon 23

They will grow together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give this man a huge raise.
    His QO is $1,761,752. As I said in another thread, spurs may have offered him Champagnie money but he declined, which would be a smart move. Now spurs may be inspired to indeed lock him in now, rather than waiting for some other team to force them to overpay (more anyway than whatever they could agree with Barlow now). He may like the spurs but Dom can certainly get more than 3/year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow turning out to be everything we’d hope Samanic to be.

funny you would say that because I literally thought this while watching Luka play with Utah in Vegas.

Barlow definitely needs to get locked up. Hopefully we can give him a deal similar to the one Julian signed because I have a feeling this young man is only gonna get better. He has improved so much and is still very young.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His QO is $1,761,752. As I said in another thread, spurs may have offered him Champagnie money but he declined, which would be a smart move. Now spurs may be inspired to indeed lock him in now, rather than waiting for some other team to force them to overpay (more anyway than whatever they could agree with Barlow now). He may like the spurs but Dom can certainly get more than 3/year.
    I suspect teams know that spurs would match anything reasonable, which is probably contribution to him getting the offers he thinks may be out there. Obviously smart for him to look and kick the tires, but I’m betting he ends up signing the Champagne deal when it’s all said and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect teams know that spurs would match anything reasonable, which is probably contribution to him getting the offers he thinks may be out there. Obviously smart for him to look and kick the tires, but I’m betting he ends up signing the Champagne deal when it’s all said and done.
    A team making him an offer could throw the Spurs' roster into disarray if they plan to give him a 2 way until they have time to clear up some roster spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team making him an offer could throw the Spurs' roster into disarray if they plan to give him a 2 way until they have time to clear up some roster spots.
    Disarray? At worst, it forces their hand to cut Wesley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disarray? At worst, it forces their hand to cut Wesley.
    It forces their hand to cut someone they don't want to cut. There is no guarantee it's Wesley, and it would be a huge defeat for the FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as I understand it, the $1.8 Million is not a contract he can sign -- it's just the hold the QO counts as against the cap. What he has in front of him should be a two-way contract. He can choose to take that, get an offer sheet from another team, negotiate a new contract with the Spurs or find a non-NBA team to play for. As far as I know, those are his options. Given that he supposedly asked to not be drafted to be able to find a two-way contract that worked for him, I'd say Barlow is a guy who's fine betting on himself. I could see him signing a one-year camp deal and take his chances getting cut rather than taking a Hinkie special. Maybe an X-10 deal could be the solution if the Spurs tell him they are legit willing to let him make the team. Or making room for him on the roster and figuring out a long-term deal that works could be more in the Spurs' best interest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post… but I think you are confusing two different players.

Lamar Stevens is entering his 4th year in the NBA, who we just traded for. He isn’t on the Summer League team.

Erik Stevenson is a 6’4” rookie guard out of West Virginia who is on the Summer League team and trying to impress his way onto a G-League roster.
    You are correct. Thanks. Also Erik had his best game right before I wrote that then sucked bad after that. But yes, I had them confused.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as I understand it, the $1.8 Million is not a contract he can sign -- it's just the hold the QO counts as against the cap. What he has in front of him should be a two-way contract. He can choose to take that, get an offer sheet from another team, negotiate a new contract with the Spurs or find a non-NBA team to play for. As far as I know, those are his options. Given that he supposedly asked to not be drafted to be able to find a two-way contract that worked for him, I'd say Barlow is a guy who's fine betting on himself. I could see him signing a one-year camp deal and take his chances getting cut rather than taking a Hinkie special. Maybe an X-10 deal could be the solution if the Spurs tell him they are legit willing to let him make the team. Or making room for him on the roster and figuring out a long-term deal that works could be more in the Spurs' best interest.
    were gonna lose him arent we

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be shocked if the Spurs choose to take that risk with Barlow because of some cir stantial obstacle like roster spots occupied by journeymen passing through, he already showed more than a lot of first rounders (including our own) and it'd be silly lose him because of that. Just cut or move whomever is needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign Barlowwwwwwwwwwwww

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like he wants guaranteed rotation minutes and 2 years guaranteed on his contract based on a report. The broadcast mentioned he is targeting playing the backup 4 next season and the FO being skeptical of his ability to play it. Based on that it looks like someone is willing to give that to him. Best guess is his hometown NY who just traded Toppin.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guaranteeing rotation minutes it's never been our policy, for what I remember... Instead, considering age, work ethic and the fact we've been the ones who "discovered him" giving him the opportunity to be an nba player I think we could work on a 3/4 years deal guaranteed... Telling him if he doesn't pan out in 3/4 years its only up to him... Because he will have guaranteed money and potentially 3/4 years of opportunities to show what he really can do on the big stage... Potentially having his big contract at his age 25/26...that could be a win win for both...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like he wants guaranteed rotation minutes and 2 years guaranteed on his contract based on a report. The broadcast mentioned he is targeting playing the backup 4 next season and the FO being skeptical of his ability to play it. Based on that it looks like someone is willing to give that to him. Best guess is his hometown NY who just traded Toppin.
    What broadcast? Can you be more specific? Is there a link?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What broadcast? Can you be more specific? Is there a link?
    Summer League WAS game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We shouldn't overestimate Barlow's attachement to the spurs. As Chinook mentioned, he clearly believe in himslef and SA was an opportuntiy for him to showcase his skills but I've no doubt he won't hesitate to leave for a better situation, as he should for his career.

Depends on what Dom wants, tho. If it's really guaranteed playing time at PF, he's gone. Not something spurs do. He probably wants an NBA contract and spurs can guaranteed him that at term, cutting whoever it would require. IF it's also about tthe money, not sure waiting to see what the market is for Barlow is a good idea. You know there always be a team wanting to steal a spurs developement project, not to mention injuries and stuff... I don't know how spurs exactly value him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Barlow thinks playing "backup PF" would be playing next to Wembanyama, then it's not worth it to parse out the semantics. If instead he's hoping to play next to Bassey, then that's doubtful. It definitely feels like those two would be in compe ion for backup center minutes. A legit compe ion between two guys who've shown something is exactly what you'd want, and the Spurs should endeavor to have those compe ions at other positions as well. But it's complicated, because players want guaranteed roles, and very few guys on a club that was so awful last year deserve to have that right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Summer League WAS game.
    I didn't hear that, but I did hear Jefferson say during the Pistons game, something to the effect of Buford saying that they're not sold on his mid ranger yet and that in Summer League he can thrive playing the five, but beyond that he's caught between positions defensively (lack of strength for a five, questionable lateral quicks for a stretch four).

Let's just hope they don't do their usual "do right by the player" nonsense and cut him loose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody gets guaranteed playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wanting a full deal is fine - and certainly that’s what he and his agent SHOULD be asking for. But wanting guaranteed minutes seems like a surefire way to turn off the Spurs.

Thread Information