Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/05...eut/index.html
    Marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) -- Good news for aging hippies: Smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer's disease.

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.

Researchers at the Scripps Research Ins ute in California found that marijuana's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.

THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer's patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer's, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.

Those afflicted with Alzheimer's suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.

Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.

Possessing marijuana for recreational use is illegal in many parts of the world, including the United States, though some states allow possession for medical purposes.

may the force kick yo ass ObiwanGinobili's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's bad for me.

I'm allergic to THC... and yes it;s must be the THC and not the chemicals and pestiscides becasuse I have tried the organically hydroponicly grown and still got hives.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ironic......marajuana makes you forget what you just ordered in a restaurant, but helps stave off Alzeimers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    marijuana only affects short term memory while you are high.
    It is a short term side-effect - not permanent, not damaging.

of course the 'say no to drugs' commercials would tell you somethign differnet tho.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    marijuana only affects short term memory while you are high.
    It is a short term side-effect - not permanent, not damaging.

of course the 'say no to drugs' commercials would tell you somethign differnet tho.

I don't know, I smoked a lot of weed when I was in school and let me tell you, I was much smarter going into college then I was when I got out. Not very many people that can say that huh?

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Say no, unless they are sold by Roche, Merke, Procter and Gamble, McNeil, Pfizer, or Lilly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Say no, unless they are sold by Roche, Merke, Procter and Gamble, McNeil, Pfizer, or Lilly.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    more tar than a cigarette! inhaling smoke of any sort is not healthy. the benefit is in the THC itself, this does not justify sitting around smoking all day. i think smokng is the most inefficient way you could go about imbibing the stuff.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    more tar than a cigarette! inhaling smoke of any sort is not healthy. the benefit is in the THC itself, this does not justify sitting around smoking all day. i think smokng is the most inefficient way you could go about imbibing the stuff.

Marajuana does not cause cancer. That is a proven fact.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Marajuana does not cause cancer. That is a proven fact.
    it's still not great for your lungs. i just think reports like this are misleading for crusader potheads trying to justify sitting around getting high all day. cannabanoids do have great benefits, unfortunately a lot of that can be negated because of how most people take it in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    it's still not great for your lungs. i just think reports like this are misleading for crusader potheads trying to justify sitting around getting high all day. cannabanoids do have great benefits, unfortunately a lot of that can be negated because of how most people take it in.
    Casual Pot smokers really don't give a about these reports.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Casual Pot smokers really don't give a about these reports.
    true, but i don't want to hear this crap from my pothead friends. i used to be right with them on the couch, but i don't have the time for it anymore.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Damn it...they should just legalize this ....take away the revenue stream from the gang bangers and sell legally in a 7-11.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Because users would never, ever fabricate or deny/ignore scientific studies in an attempt to justify their source of recreation.

[/apathetic non-user]

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    Damn it...they should just legalize this ....take away the revenue stream from the gang bangers and sell legally in a 7-11.

They'll just move on to other revenue sources... heroin, crack, etc...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How can you be allergic to THC that rash has to something else I've never heard of that before.
    my mom gets hives from smokin pot too. so it;s not something that I've never heard of.

Thread Information