Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    United States coach Jurgen Klinsmann criticized what he sees as an American custom of sports teams catering to star players, in quotes released on Wednesday.

Klinsmann, who left star midfielder Landon Donovan off the U.S. World Cup squad last month, singled out the NBA as ignoring his philosophy of favoring a player's future potential over past accomplishments.

The German native told The New York Times Magazine in December that he could not understand why the Los Angeles Lakers would give Kobe Bryant a two-year contract extension for $48.5 million, when the 35-year-old basketball icon's best days are likely behind him.

"This always happens in America," Klinsmann said in the interview, which was released on Wednesday. "Kobe Bryant, for example -- why does he get a two-year contract extension for $50 million? Because of what he is going to do in the next two years for the Lakers? Of course not. Of course not. He gets it because of what he has done before. It makes no sense. Why do you pay for what has already happened?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klinsman himself is an asshole though. Donovan definitely deserves a spot on the world cup squad, can't wait to see mutha er getting sacked after the US get disqualified in the group stage, hope for the best though.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    He dropped some truthbombs on Kirby, but beyond that, the coach of some Eurotrash third-world joke of a "sport" has nary room to be bashing our sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He dropped some truthbombs on Kirby, but beyond that, the coach of some Eurotrash third-world joke of a "sport" has nary room to be bashing our sports
    I think he's missing the business aspect of it all...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with him, tbh, but although I enjoy playing soccer, I'm not a huge fan of watching it..

I think his point only applies to the NBA and maybe the MLB, though..those sports are more entertainment-based than result-based..the names on the jerseys are more important than the results, especially in the NBA..

In the NFL, outside of maybe the QB position, big-name players get cut every year, tbh, there's no mercy..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I agree with the Kobe thing, but he is a horrible coach tbh. Leaving Landon off was a mistake

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I think he's missing the business aspect of it all...
    A soccer coach of all people shouldn't be talking about salaries anyway.... isn't Madrid paying 1.4 billion Euros for one player?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny no one even knows how they do it elsewhere because it's irrelevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jurgen, mein negger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A soccer coach of all people shouldn't be talking about salaries anyway.... isn't Madrid paying 1.4 billion Euros for one player?
    Yeah but not TOSBs like Kirby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klinsman himself is an asshole though. Donovan definitely deserves a spot on the world cup squad, can't wait to see mutha er getting sacked after the US get disqualified in the group stage, hope for the best though.
    Deserved a spot based on what?

The past?

Because he didn't deserve a spot for the 2014 WC.

You just made Jurgen's point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's right, and we as Spurs fans should know. The Spurs are the least egocentric/star-centric team in the league, and they also happen to be the best.

Banned
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    Landon did not deserve a spot.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Love or hate association football, the man is right. The NBA coddles its stars way too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jurgen going in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree with him, there is no business for loyalty contracts after what you have done...

you got paid ur max what the team can offer, u went out and earn the contract u signed for...

soccer>bball management how is done, soccer the money will always come in

ps. david villa signing to to play in my city ....lol joining MLS my ass....u know what the mancity owners are doing in my city? buying up the sports/club teams that is affiliated with the city or has the name melbourne, and consolidating it to 1 brand under melbourne city.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree with him, there is no business for loyalty contracts after what you have done...

you got paid ur max what the team can offer, u went out and earn the contract u signed for...

soccer>bball management how is done, soccer the money will always come in

ps. david villa signing to to play in my city ....lol joining MLS my ass....u know what the mancity owners are doing in my city? buying up the sports/club teams that is affiliated with the city or has the name melbourne, and consolidating it to 1 brand under melbourne city.....
    Aussies again going 0-3 in pool play with 0 goals. Entire ry full of fkn wankrs who cant kick a ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aussies again going 0-3 in pool play with 0 goals. Entire ry full of fkn wankrs who cant kick a ball
    those clowns only play first half and disappear in the 2nd half...the current crop is mainly guys from the national league, not many guys are playing outside australia....or been selected besides the veterans, even the ones that help contributed to qualifying didnt get selected....not many recognizable or household names, bunch of wankers anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those clowns only play first half and disappear in the 2nd half...the current crop is mainly guys from the national league, not many guys are playing outside australia....or been selected besides the veterans, even the ones that help contributed to qualifying didnt get selected....not many recognizable or household names, bunch of wankers anyway
    Spain
    Chile
    Holland

Aussies going 0-3 with 0 goals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landon sucks and the dude makes a point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aussies only qualified for WC because they played in Asia tbh, and even in Asia they're not the best (well behind Japan and Picklebreaths)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spain
    Chile
    Holland

Aussies going 0-3 with 0 goals
    goes to show you the citizens of the asshole of the world are good for only 1 thing. Making bad crocodile dundee movies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aussies only qualified for WC because they played in Asia tbh, and even in Asia they're not the best (well behind Japan and Picklebreaths)
    look at the asian championship, first time participation got to finals and fielded some weak ass team to lose it....

they be participating in alot of asian tournaments in the future, only to bail out in the finals....

i still remember germany wc, the leadup to it all the european base players coming back making the team, gettin all these endorsement deals...there was this clown name harry on the team who was gettin alot of PR through fashion circles b4 heading off to germany, theres a reason why he was sent of against germany cause he didnt want to take a ball to the face, instead puts out a arm....lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    look at the asian championship, first time participation got to finals and fielded some weak ass team to lose it....they be participating in alot of asian tournaments in the future, only to bail out in the finals....i still remember germany wc, the leadup to it all the european base players coming back making the team, gettin all these endorsement deals...there was this clown name harry on the team who was gettin alot of PR through fashion circles b4 heading off to germany, theres a reason why he was sent of against germany cause he didnt want to take a ball to the face, instead puts out a arm....lmao
    Harry Kewell deserves our respect , dude was fighting some serious life-threatening disease, him standing on the pitch by itself deserves to earn him respect imho. But I believe it was the 2010 SA world cup, I might be wrong though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no.

Thread Information