My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, this game was difficult to watch -- literally. Apparently online streaming video is a new concept in Salt Lake City and the result was a video connection that repeatedly buffered to the point of ridiculousness. I eventually had to open four instances of the stream and just hop from one to the next as they died. It was a hassle but I was able to watch about 90% of the game.

As a team, the Spurs summer league team played really well. It was easily their best game of the summer leagues. In their first game at Rocky Mountain Revue, they beat the hometown Utah Jazz 82-57. While it's true that the Jazz team wasn't too talented, the Spurs just thoroughly beat Utah down. Defensively, the Spurs were pretty darn cohesive, considering the cir stances.

-Alright, now this looks like a first round draft pick. George Hill was a totally different player in this game. Looking back at his work in the Vegas league, it's obvious he didn't have his legs at all. In Vegas, he rarely used his speed, didn't push the ball and looked embarrassingly overmatched when trying to finish at the basket. In this game, it was a totally different story. His speed in the open court was impressive. He finished in a variety of ways around the basket -- even after contact. And while he still struggled with his jumper, the shots were much closer. Defensively, he was still really aggressive and was the main reason why the Spurs defense was hard to score against. He can pressure the ball using his quickness and length, which gets the other team out of sets. He also made a couple of great rotations. For the game, Hill finished with 21 points on 6-for-14 shooting. I was really impressed by how he controlled the game on both ends of the floor and it was obvious he was the best player on the court. The aspect I like about him is that he doesn't get flustered. Even when he was 0-for-123425235 in Vegas, he kept playing defense and kept running the plays. Those are the type of players who play well under Pop. Now, he still has a lot to prove in terms of his outside shooting, ability to finish against athletic bigs and his playmaking skills ... but this was a gigantic step forward compared to what he showed in Vegas. Hopefully he can finish off summer league strong and get his confidence high going into training camp.

-Ian Mahinmi had by far his worst game in summer league. He just didn't show up. Team defense wise, I thought he was decently attentive and had a few highlight plays but he wasn't rebounding and he zoned out a few times. If I didn't know better, I'd think Mahinmi is bored of this level of compe ion. Offensively, he was pretty weak for the most part. He'd score if he got the ball in good spots but struggled mightily creating anything for himself. On a whole, this summer league experience has had a lot more negatives than positives for Mahinmi. The hope was he'd show he was one of the better young bigs in the game and would be ready to step into a substantial role on a championship caliber team. He can still get there but he hasn't shown to be anywhere near a shoo-in at this point. Luckily for Mahinmi, it'll be a whole different ballgame when he's lining up next to Tim Duncan and he's basically being ignored for 48 minutes a night.

-James Gist was decent but it was a step down from what we've seen out of him. He looks gassed, which is to be expected considering he just played his fifth game in five nights. He still had energy but not the boundless amount of energy he has shown up to date. He still had a few very nice plays and led the team in rebounding with six. Gist continues to look like a guy who has a chance to help right away as a rookie. Considering his skillset is almost exactly what the Spurs are lacking, hopefully Pop and co. give him a chance during training camp and preseason. There is absolutely no reason for him not to be on the 15 man roster.

-Malik Hairston was again a little bit better. His defense was much, much better. He made a few rotations that had the bench and coaching staff giving him a standing ovation. He still has a ways to recover from his horrid start to summer league but he's inching his way toward a training camp invite. Offensively, his jumper seems to have deserted him, yet he's a very good finisher around the basket ... at least on the summer league level. Once he jumps towards the basket, he's going to finish whether someone contests the shot or not. I'm not sure he's done enough to make the roster this year but he's at least improving on a daily basis.

-Tolliver continues to show range. Green played poorly and was ball hogging more than usual. Powell had a few promising moments but he'll probably end up in Europe for another year.

Nice job by the Spurs. A win in Utah is always a good win.

Tomorrow the Spurs play the "D-League All-Stars" in the Rocky Mountain Revue. I have no clue whether the Spurs are going to treat it as a regular summer league game or if they will simply use it as an opportunity to play the end of the bench. Find out for yourself at 5:30PM CST.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice analysis. Thanks timvp.

Where are those who rant about Hill is the biggest blunder our FO has ever made???

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's refreshing to read something positive out of hill's plays. go spurs!

Can't Start Threads
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah the reception was so bad i finally decided to leave the pc alone and do more fishing....from time to time i would try and sooner or later buffering buffering buffering(good thing its impossible to get under my skin) you can see with so many games played in a row, the guys are getting used to each other. one thing ive noticed about ian.....almost everytime he touches the ball next to the rim, he has this grin on his face that says(wow look how open i am, i could easily slam this and make this crowd go crazy but, if i do pop will get mad cos im not supposed to show off till the season starts) hope i right on analyzing ians smile....other then that the fishing was good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik Hairston remind me of Rodney Buford

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik Hairston remind me of Rodney Buford
    Who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go GH!!! Glad to hear he finally managed to hit some shots. How many of those points were off threes, or free throws, though?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice analysis.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw only a tiny bit of the game at the airport. I expected Hill to beat Kruger pretty badly, but did he play much against Earl Calloway? Calloway was one of the better point guards in the Orlando SL.

Not a very impressive lineup for the Ambassadors; mostly streaky part-time starters including the Toros' Josh Gross. A decent mix of players if they can all perform at the same time, but the chances of that are virtualy nil. Not having a real point guard is going to hurt them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't that Utah's first summer league game also?

Ian is scaring me.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks. i also thought gist looked gased. definitely normal though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In DX SL reports, they said that Gist has the "willingness to play overseas". Depending on what Spurs moves will be this summer, they could ask him to go overseas for some times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DX doesn't say he has the willingness to play overseas, that writer is just speculating. Gist is good enough to be on the team this season.

One DX writer had him on the opening day roster in one of their SL reviews while another in their latest is saying some overseas time could help. lol

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In DX SL reports, they said that Gist has the "willingness to play overseas". Depending on what Spurs moves will be this summer, they could ask him to go overseas for some times.
    If they send Gist overseas our front office is clueless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DX doesn't say he has the willingness to play overseas
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...ay-Seven-2966/
    Gist is a nice prospect right now, and his willingness to play overseas could allow him to become a nice asset for the Spurs down the line. There is some talk now that he may end up in training camp, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, the overseas mention is just speculation on the writers part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they send Gist overseas our front office is clueless.
    Yep. Luckily it's just the DX writer that is.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would he write that if he hadn't heard something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prior to the draft, each team is given a list of players who say they'd be willing to go overseas and play if drafted in the second round. For teams with limited roster spots, drafting one of those players makes a lot of sense. That's why some questionable talent such as Maarty Leunen and Deron Washington were taken near the end of the draft -- since they are open to signing in Europe.

Perhaps Gist was also on that list. I haven't heard that but it's entirely possible. The Spurs could have drafted him with the plan to draft and stash him. But now after probably being the team's best player in Vegas, I think the Spurs look at him in the different light. Gist at least is better than Hairston so he could get that spot in the roster. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Spurs now ask Hairston to go play in Europe and sign Gist to the actual roster.

If the Spurs have Gist go to Europe, that would be a pretty big mistake at this point. He still has a long ways to go but he has shown enough in summer league that the Spurs must give him a look in preseason. At this point I'm not convinced that Mahinmi is the better player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/rmr08_day1_gm2.pdf

boxscore finally up, they have it under the Mavs/Iran recap link, and it is not even complete

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great job timvp

I'm unable to watch games and for now I did not even have time to read all the stuff but appreciation is exploding from me towrds you man.

You was there the whole season with the spurs with your thoughts and now in the summer leauge.

When I get more time (next week) I will speed up and watch some Hills highlights.
    But reading this threads I can't wait to see the begining of a season with a "new" roster.

Still spurs are on a way wity some kind of trade or a qulity sigining IMO.

Cheers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't that Utah's first summer league game also?

Ian is scaring me.
    +1

Thread Information