Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't mind the whole defensive on/off thing providing nuance, but it shouldn't be a big factor in the DPOY race. So much of the +/- is affected by the quality of his backup.
    Victor would be DPOY in front of Gobert if it was only for the individual defensive level this year. I don't think it would be close.

So you have to take in account the team factor and i agree with it: but the spurs are actually a good team defensively with Victor, that's the whole point of the on/off stat.

Who give a about the standings for DPOY award ? what's the logic ? it's not MVP.

If the Spurs were a bad team even with Victor defensively, i could understand, you have to impact your team level, even for this award.

But the fact that the spurs are rather good defensively with him and with a team so bad defensively without him should help him, not the contrary. Minnesota is still a good team without Gobert.

Honnestly, i don't really care, because if the spurs give him even an average cast and victor is healthy, he should win it many many times. But it's an individual accolade, and Victor has done everything to earn it as soon as this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for 7 games in his career with 7+ blocks

Victor 7/69
    Gobert 7/752
    Stop making up fake stats, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a legit stat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this doesn't at least put him legitimately in the conversation, then the DPOY award is a joke.
    Sad news for everyone, the DPOY and all defensive awards HAVE ALWAYS been a joke

Anyone around long enough would remember that players or teams who cried enough about not winning it were always rewarded, sometimes multiple times as voters are too stupid and lazy to think for themselves.

Mutombo cried about it to the media, then wins a bunch as a result. Camby cried about it, then he won. The Pacers cried about it on Artist's behalf, spamming voters with exclusive stats not available to the public, then he won. If Pop and the Spurs had ever cried on Duncan's behalf, he absolutely would have won one.

Even the all defense teams are a joke. How many years was Kobe on it despite not deserving it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad news for everyone, the DPOY and all defensive awards HAVE ALWAYS been a joke

Anyone around long enough would remember that players or teams who cried enough about not winning it were always rewarded, sometimes multiple times as voters are too stupid and lazy to think for themselves.

Mutombo cried about it to the media, then wins a bunch as a result. Camby cried about it, then he won. The Pacers cried about it on Artist's behalf, spamming voters with exclusive stats not available to the public, then he won. If Pop and the Spurs had ever cried on Duncan's behalf, he absolutely would have won one.

Even the all defense teams are a joke. How many years was Kobe on it despite not deserving it?
    Sounds like the Spurs need to start crying about it, tbh

Hopefully we will have many years for Wemby to have a chance to win it, but it would be pretty cool (and actually historic) to win ROY and DPOY at the same time, and ROY seems to be a lock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isnt it true that the spurs pr team didnt put out a single thing promoting for wemby to receive all star votes. what makes us think theyre going to suddenly start doing so for DPOY?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a table of total blocks by rookies in NBA history. Victor is currently 6th with 245 blocks and he probably won't crack the top 5 (271) within the last 4 games. Where do you guys think he will end up with only 4 more games to play? He should end up over 250 and there's a reasonable chance he gets to 260 imho

TOT. BLK MIN BLK/36 GAMES SEASON
    Manute Bol
    397 2090 6.84 80 85-86
    David Robinson
    319 3002 3.83 82 89-90
    Shaquille O'Neal
    286 3071 3.35 81 92-93
    Mark Eaton
    275 1528 6.48 81 82-83
    Alonzo Mourning
    271 2644 3.69 78 92-93
    Victor Wembanyama
    245 2039 4.33 69 23-24
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    220 2914 2.72 82 84-85
    Bol and Eaton were freakin ridiculous shot blockers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When all those other guys were doing it, the game was still inside-out. It was a big man's game. Now it is pretty much an outside-in game. Wemby is doing it in an era of massive 3pt shooting and far less attacking of the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only inside out but more importantly without defensive 3 second violation. Not to take anything away from them.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Broussard bring it up the other day when he was explaining that Victor would probably get his DPOY vote, checked in basketball-reference, and it was legit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Broussard bring it up the other day when he was explaining that Victor would probably get his DPOY vote, checked in basketball-reference, and it was legit.
    I was just hasslin ya, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan wasnt the runner up either time
    Nope!! The worst part about it is that he never finished higher than 3rd.

I’M A DAMN SPUR!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope!! The worst part about it is that he never finished higher than 3rd.
    It was a time of great conspiracy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wembanyama is already the GOAT shot blocker. Only '86, '87 and '89 Bol has him (slightly) beat in terms of single season %, but that was in an era where the 3 was in it's infancy and the game was played in congestion. He also didn't have the same versatility (chase down, closing out to 3, etc.) and was more of a stationary rim protector.

Despite this, ranking third among qualifiers in defensive rebound % and years of data that indicate two-big lineups lag offensively in an offense first league, there's still people advocating for utilizing assets on a center when he's the undisputed best prospect at it since Duncan. You can't make this up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a time of great conspiracy.

100%!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wembanyama is already the GOAT shot blocker. Only '86, '87 and '89 Bol has him (slightly) beat in terms of single season %, but that was in an era where the 3 was in it's infancy and the game was played in congestion. He also didn't have the same versatility (chase down, closing out to 3, etc.) and was more of a stationary rim protector.

Despite this, ranking third among qualifiers in defensive rebound % and years of data that indicate two-big lineups lag offensively in an offense first league, there's still people advocating for utilizing assets on a center when he's the undisputed best prospect at it since Duncan. You can't make this up.
    Agreed!! Perfectly said!!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And now Victor has beaten Gobert alltime in games with 7+ blocks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s crazy as ; the kid is out of control!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that's just unbelievable!!

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPOY, like any other media award, is heavily influenced by narrative. The pro Wemby narrative is building.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq is really hurting Bol Bol woth his narrative, putting unnecessary expectation on a kid that needs a lot of development bc of AAU bb

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPOY, like any other media award, is heavily influenced by narrative. The pro Wemby narrative is building.
    Among NBA fans clearly, but the voters are trapped in an absurd dogma that leads to many journalists self censoring themselves bc of profesional perception.

A few like Russilo or Windhorst were ridiculed by their colleagues when they only suggested the idea of voting for Victor.

It won't happen I'm afraid, but fans will remember it the same way we remember Melo was the real ROY not Lebron

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Shaq is really hurting Bol Bol woth his narrative, putting unnecessary expectation on a kid that needs a lot of development bc of AAU bb
    Maybe he needs the pressure to improve his game instead of relying on his stature and name.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he needs the pressure to improve his game instead of relying on his stature and name.
    Sure he does, just not publicly

It too simplistic and disrespectfull to label Bol Bol as being lazy, it's going to stick with him

Thread Information