Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean its a pretty safe bet to say the Spurs won't get Young. That's by far the likeliest scenario here. I'm not betting against, Wemby being a great offensive player either! But if Wemby ever has as season above .40 from 3 and an assist percentage that high while limiting turnovers I'll be very surprised. I do think Wemby could have some monster offensive seasons but I do think they'll likely take a very good facilitator.
    I agree with you on the shooting; but its more that hes got so much gravity on his rolls to rim, ability to get fouled and shoot FT that even without shooting 40% from 3, he can be a total efficient monster on offense. His playmaking is damn good outside of carelessness IMO so ya as long as he can grow there and make sure to value the ball?

I do agree it will take good facilitator(s) I just think it comes less in the form of a ball dominant “PG” like Trae/Nash/Stockton types and more a multi-faceted attacking offense where lots of guys have playmaking responsibilities (like how Dev is really getting a lot more there, the Sochan experiment).

Spurs may very well target a legit point guard too, I just dont think its going to be a Trae like ball dominant one even if they possess that ability - they will have to be able to play off ball too, but will help a lot when you have times guys need to be able to go one on one and bend defenses etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae is not Stockton, not even close.
    when did i say trae was stockton?

im merely establishing that there is plenty of precedent for an on-ball point guard to not be the #1 option. DAF made it sound like its an either-or

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On ball is a pretty vague and undefined term. Trae’s career USG is 32.4. Stockton’s s 18.9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always find it interested to see Usage used as a measure in debates. What is it that folks think USG is measuring? People seem to think it is an indicator of how frequently a player touches the ball, but that isn't what USG% is measuring at all. For example, a theoretical catch and shoot player who never takes any dribbles and who's every touch is a shot, and who shots a lot, would have an extremely high USG% and a theoretical point guard to dribbles the air out of the ball and then passes to that catch-and-shoot player would have a very low USG%.

USG% is effectively measuring the % of a teams possessions that are ended by a player, either by a made shot (or FT), missed shot (or FT), or turnover. It is quite a poor measure if used to try to explain if a player touches the ball a lot (or is "ball dominant") or is a play maker who ac ulates a lot of assists, etc.

So to that point... what is to be inferred by comparing Trae Young's USG to John Stockton's? Both are certainly "ball dominant", but they are different players with different playing styles with different other "possession terminating" options available to them. It was clear John Stockton was not the #1 option for the Jazz, so naturally his USG% is going to be lower. But that doesn't really tell us anything about Stockton as a player. Young has always been expected to be the #1 option, which is directly measured by USG%, so of course his will be higher.

Fair question about whether Trae would be able to transition to being, at a minimum, Option 1a next to a 1b (compared to always being the clear #1), not to mention being Option 1b or 2. But his historical USG% doesn't really tell us anything about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meaning your own, you’re right. You wrote a dumb ing post. And not for the first time.

You claim that the reason Jokic has such fine assist numbers isn’t because he’s a great passer, it’s only because he gets his hands on the ball a lot.

You moron.

(Trae Young has a higher AST% this season than Jokic, btw.)

Would Trae Young become the shooting guard if he joined the Spurs?

Nice try at changing the subject. You moron.

The funniest thing is how you wrote that with no regard at all for the change of position. Looks like you don’t care about a change of position. You need to go back to those posts you’ve made where you’ve been so insistent that Wemby must be a center, and apologize, and tell everyone you’ve now concluded that position doesn’t matter.

So go do that now.

The argument you have presented is basically: ‘higher assist numbers don’t mean a player is a better passer, because DeJounte Murray became a shooting guard.’

You moron.

Nice try, spunky. Ya dumbass.

And even though the entire reason for the discussion is possible teammates for Wemby, you wrote another post where you didn’t mention Wemby at all.

You moron.

Jamal Murray has an AST% of 31.2.

Trae Young has an AST% of 44.4.

Which of those two is more likely to get an assist to Wemby on a typical possession?

Can you answer that? Or are you truly nothing but a dumbass?
    What a ing moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is this some given? Trae is currently by far the better of the two offensively and its not some given Wemby is that good ever. Wemby is going to be a very good player on both sides of the court, but his role with Trae would be one where he can receive lobs and other passes to put him in position to score easily. It would make zero sense to have Young defer to him.
    If Wemby doesn't become a better offensive player than Trae ing Young, then IDGAF because the Spurs aren't contending any time soon.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And OF COURSE he's not an off ball player. This is quite honestly the stupidest line of criticism I've seen. Young is one of the best offensive players in the league and by FAR the best player on his team. Why would he be expected to play off ball when he's their best on ball player? Why would they put the ball in someone elses hands when they are better by having it in his hands?
    Cause they don't want a repeat of the MIA series in 2022. That is why they brought Quinn and his motion offense and overpaid for DJ the next year. You need multiple creators to not a hit a brick wall in certain playoff matchups. More elite helio players have lead guards beside them, Kyrie is the robin to most of them. Best defenses forces him to play off ball or in the MIA case jack up contested bombs at an 18 percent clip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cause they don't want a repeat of the MIA series in 2022. That is why they brought Quinn and his motion offense and overpaid for DJ the next year. You need multiple creators to not a hit a brick wall in certain playoff matchups. More elite helio players have lead guards beside them, Kyrie is the robin to most of them. Best defenses forces him to play off ball or in the MIA case jack up contested bombs at an 18 percent clip.
    Another example is Kobe, between Shaq leaving and Gasol arriving. Clearly the best player taking all of the shots, but LA didn’t do .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More rumblings that Clippers and PG may not come to terms on an extension. George as a veteran presence who can still get done on both ends would be a dream scenario. Can make it a sign and trade. Send the clippers keldon and the bulls first if that’s what it takes

tho obviously pg will likely prefer a contender whether that ultimately means accepting less to stay with LAC or joining embiid and maxey in philly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More rumblings that Clippers and PG may not come to terms on an extension. George as a veteran presence who can still get done on both ends would be a dream scenario. Can make it a sign and trade. Send the clippers keldon and the bulls first if that’s what it takes

tho obviously pg will likely prefer a contender whether that ultimately means accepting less to stay with LAC or joining embiid and maxey in philly
    If the Warriors don't even make the play-in and Curry asks out:

Curry, Vassell, PG13, Sochan, Wemby

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He’s posturing. Clippers want him to give them the Kawhi discount, and he’s gonna leverage a Sixer max offer to get the Clippers to match it. He’ll most likely stay in LA of course, but it could create a weird dynamic if he makes more that Kawhi who is the superior player.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    If the Warriors don't even make the play-in and Curry asks out:

Curry, Vassell, PG13, Sochan, Wemby
    That cheap ass front office isn't going to pay for anyone who even received a single all star vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Wemby doesn't become a better offensive player than Trae ing Young, then IDGAF because the Spurs aren't contending any time soon.
    Yeah, I don't even know what to say about Manny's post, but: Wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Updating my “most likely” prediction to:

1. Draft some kid who will ultimately end up a role player but will be a fan favorite
    2. Sign some washed former all-star like Klay
    3. Rely upon the natural growth of our team to improve to a 26 win team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Updating my “most likely” prediction to:

1. Draft some kid who will ultimately end up a role player but will be a fan favorite
    2. Sign some washed former all-star like Klay
    3. Rely upon the natural growth of our team to improve to a 26 win team

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, the Mitc extension situation is gonna be fascinating to watch. If Spurs could land Garland this summer as a result, while keeping the ATL picks that would be awesome. This is my preferred offseason scenario.

I’m not high on Trae, but in any case feels like he’ll be a Laker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, the Mitc extension situation is gonna be fascinating to watch. If Spurs could land Garland this summer as a result, while keeping the ATL picks that would be awesome. This is my preferred offseason scenario.

I’m not high on Trae, but in any case feels like he’ll be a Laker.
    Trae going to LA is a best case scenario

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realistic off-season but pretty underwhelming

Draft Zach Risacher
    trade for Garland
    Sign Gary Trent Junior and kyle Anderson

Wemby/Collins
    Sochan/Kyle
    Gary Trent/Zach Risacher/Julian
    Dev/Branham
    Garland/Tre

extra roster fillers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae going to LA is a best case scenario
    I agree. There is a fresh round of scuttlebutt of Trae to Lakers rumbling today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realistic off-season but pretty underwhelming

Draft Zach Risacher
    trade for Garland
    Sign Gary Trent Junior and kyle Anderson

Wemby/Collins
    Sochan/Kyle
    Gary Trent/Zach Risacher/Julian
    Dev/Branham
    Garland/Tre

extra roster fillers
    That would be a home run off season. I’d even be ok with a lesser placeholder like Batum at 3 until Risaxher (or Matas or Cody) matures into the starting role.

My hope is that Branham goes out in the CLE trade. Thin the herd while sending him to his home state.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a home run off season. I’d even be ok with a lesser placeholder like Batum at 3 until Risaxher (or Matas or Cody) matures into the starting role.

My hope is that Branham goes out in the CLE trade. Thin the herd while sending him to his home state.
    I think something along those lines could happen which I’d be happy with but that lineup is still probably barely fighting for the Play-in

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to get tyus jones on a cheap deal.Tho i think orlando make throw big money at him.
    We also need shooters and perhaps another big man.Alot of role players this off season can be major upgrades
    over branham and champ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to get tyus jones on a cheap deal.Tho i think orlando make throw big money at him.
    We also need shooters and perhaps another big man.Alot of role players this off season can be major upgrades
    over branham and champ.
    Agreed. With Collins' regression and Bassey inability to stay healthy, that team needs a solid, reliable big, even if they end up wit Sarr. We can always hope Zach rebounds next year (both litterally and figuratively) but the back up situation at C is really a concern and Barlow can only be a 3rd big at best.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think something along those lines could happen which I’d be happy with but that lineup is still probably barely fighting for the Play-in
    I think a Garland-Vassell-Wemby centered team would absolutely challenge for a playoff spot. Add Sochan as your defensive wing, and another vet wing with size and that team can definitely make some noise.

The key would be keeping those ATL picks while getting Garland.

Thread Information