Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's been pretty clear in this years playoffs that going forward, teams are going to have to have every player on the floor be able to shoot threes. Teams being able to play off of weak shooters without getting punished is a powerful advantage.
    The nuggets are struggling due to Aaron Gordons poor shooting, he is their Achilles heel as much as he is their x factor, same with Giddey.

I also think size is becoming a more important factor for every player. As the average skill level of players rises it will be more important to have no players with major weaknesses in any area and more generalists who can do everything at a good level.

This takes us to the spurs roster construction plans and the draft. Sochan is the obvious question mark, as his shooting is terrible and that form will make it almost impossible to be consistent without God himself giving him immaculate shooting touch.
    The draft is the other question, most of the great shooters in this draft are really small, example Dillingham and Sheppard. So which way should the front office go? A larger framed guard like Topic or Castle, or the more sure shooters of Dilllingham and Sheppard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's been pretty clear in this years playoffs that going forward, teams are going to have to have every player on the floor be able to shoot threes. Teams being able to play off of weak shooters without getting punished is a powerful advantage.
    The nuggets are struggling due to Aaron Gordons poor shooting, he is their Achilles heel as much as he is their x factor, same with Giddey.

I also think size is becoming a more important factor for every player. As the average skill level of players rises it will be more important to have no players with major weaknesses in any area and more generalists who can do everything at a good level.

This takes us to the spurs roster construction plans and the draft. Sochan is the obvious question mark, as his shooting is terrible and that form will make it almost impossible to be consistent without God himself giving him immaculate shooting touch.
    The draft is the other question, most of the great shooters in this draft are really small, example Dillingham and Sheppard. So which way should the front office go? A larger framed guard like Topic or Castle, or the more sure shooters of Dilllingham and Sheppard.
    I don't think that your premise here is supported by the data.

For example, the Timberwolves started (in game 2) Kyle Anderson (22.9% from 3 in the regular season, 0% in the postseason - so far) and Jayden McDaniels (33.7% from 3 in the regular season, 21.4% in the postseason - so far). Are they having terrible problems for having 2 sub-par shooters in the lineup?

The knicks are starting Hartenstein (33.2% from 3 regular season) and Josh Hart (31% from 3, regular season), although they are both shooting better than that in the postseason ... (on the other hand, Brunson is only shooting 32% from 3 in the post season). Are the Knicks being wrecked?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you need to play at least 4 shooters. I can only see 5 being beneficial if one of those shooters is your Center and you want him to go to work in the post. Having a non-shooting perimeter player will give the opponents room to double team. So in Wemby's case playing 5 shooters might be even better, but in general the offense is fine if you play 4 shooters and one non-shooter.

Thread Information