Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young averages 10 assists and his offensive talent would keep defenses honest. When you look at how much better the Spurs got with Jones inserted in the lineup, imagine that X10 with someone like Young.

The opt out is the only thing I’d be concerned about. Otherwise if you can make that deal you do in a minute. Who would the Spurs get that’s better? A 3-5 year project PG with no guarantee of a payoff?

Feels like a good fit to me. Wemby and Devin would benefit immensely. Then the Spurs just focus on 3 and D guys and the rebuild is complete.
    Spurs traded DJ with two years left when they felt they couldn’t extend him. Will they really go all in on a two year rental of Trae?

A figure that was bandied about for a SuperMax for Wemby was $60M, starting. Can you really pay both of them, and put an 8 deep championship team on the floor? If Tre Jones was a vast improvement, do you really need 10x that? Wouldn’t 3-4x that do well enough?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beck: "One exec said Atlanta discussed a potential Young trade with San Antonio before last week's deadline."

Bored by the NBA Trade Deadline? Let Speculation Season Begin. - The Ringer
    In the back of my mind, I couldn't help imagining (hoping?) that L'Equipe ITV was all CIA Pop trying to smoke screen the out of everyone

If that's true, old man still has it tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would also expect the Hawks to try and include Devin in the deal, at least this deadline to put some pressure on the spurs... They're not in a hurry, ATL is not ringing this year and offers will still be on the table for Trae this summer... They know spurs wouldn't certainly give up on Vassel, hard balling SA to milk them as much as you can is fair enough. If not for Devin they may grab another couple more picks out of it... "We really want Vassel! No? OK, add another two FRPs then."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would also expect the Hawks to try and include Devin in the deal, at least this deadline to put some pressure on the spurs... They're not in a hurry, ATL is not ringing this year and offers will still be on the table for Trae this summer... Hard balling the spurs to milk them as much as you can is fair enough, if not for Devin they may grab another couple more picks out of it... "We really want Vassel! No? OK, add another two FRPs then."
    The assumption baked into most of the pro Young faction is that the Spurs are burning to add Trae Young. Not sure that’s true. We’ll have to see. I will say that if it doesn’t happen during the draft or free agent period this summer, it likely won’t happen at all. Two years isn’t a very long window to begin with. Anything less will likely be a deal killer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs traded DJ with two years left when they felt they couldn’t extend him. Will they really go all in on a two year rental of Trae?

A figure that was bandied about for a SuperMax for Wemby was $60M, starting. Can you really pay both of them, and put an 8 deep championship team on the floor? If Tre Jones was a vast improvement, do you really need 10x that? Wouldn’t 3-4x that do well enough?
    If the Spurs cant afford to pay a second star then Wemby should bolt ASAP.

Of course they'll pay for a second star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs cant afford to pay a second star then Wemby should bolt ASAP.

Of course they'll pay for a second star.
    Not every star is on a SuperMax. It does make a difference, like an MLE contract that you either can or cannot sign a rotation player to.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not every star is on a SuperMax. It does make a difference, like an MLE contract that you either can or cannot sign a rotation player to.
    Four quarters don't equal a dollar in the NBA. You would rather have one Trea Young for 49M than Dev/Keldon and Zollins for 64M

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Four quarters don't equal a dollar in the NBA. You would rather have one Trea Young for 49M than Dev/Keldon and Zollins for 64M
    The problem is, that’s what he makes NOW, not what he will make after his inevitable opt out. I don’t think twin $60M/yr contracts will work for a small market team.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    get trae, a solid 3&D and this team is making the play-in next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will never accept a player (with this price tag) who plays no defense at all. He would be great offensively with Wemby, but Trae Young will never be over himself. Eight pages ... Jesus!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will never accept a player who plays no defense at all. He would be great offensively with Wemby, but Trae Young will never be over himself. Eight pages ... Jesus!
    There’s also what PATFO calls keeping your powder dry. Not sure exactly what they mean, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t involve emptying the pick vault for a two year rental.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    spurs are too classy to try to lure pascal away from the pacers... but trae / siakam / wemby would be awesome.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s also what PATFO calls keeping your powder dry. Not sure exactly what they mean, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t involve emptying the pick vault for a two year rental.
    I think they've got their eye on bigger fish and it may be the following summer. I mean the package we're throwing around for Trae isn't appreciably different that what a package would look like for a Luka or Giannis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they've got their eye on bigger fish and it may be the following summer. I mean the package we're throwing around for Trae isn't appreciably different that what a package would look like for a Luka or Giannis.
    oh yeah it would

to land luka, you'd need to send not only our excess picks, but some natural picks as well. and probably vassell too

the mount rushmore of current NBA players is Jokic, Giannis, Luka, Embiid* and Luka is the youngest of that group by about 4 years

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh yeah it would

to land luka, you'd need to send not only our excess picks, but some natural picks as well. and probably vassell too

the mount rushmore of current NBA players is Jokic, Giannis, Luka, Embiid* and Luka is the youngest of that group by about 4 years
    There's only so much you can send out with the rules that govern trades. You add to that the fact that nobody is trading anyone on Mt Rushmore unless that particular player demands a trade, thereby lowering their value. What did KD bring? Two young players, filler, 4 picks that won't be nearly as high as what we're talking about, and a swap.

That much better bang for the buck than blowing our wad for Trae.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's only so much you can send out with the rules that govern trades. You add to that the fact that nobody is trading anyone on Mt Rushmore unless that particular player demands a trade, thereby lowering their value. What did KD bring? Two young players, filler, 4 picks that won't be nearly as high as what we're talking about, and a swap.

KD is much older than Trea and the Suns were desperate for a deal.

As its already been discussed the Hawks will only deal Young to the Spurs because we own their picks. If they don't deal him to the Spurs the Hawks picks will hover in the 8-10 range. Perfect spot for Wright to draft another Vessel, Sochan or Primmo. People are over valuing those picks badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

mikal bridges alone is worth a couple firsts rn. they got that + four firsts (the most a team can possibly trade unless they already owned excess picks) for a disgruntled 34 year old

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD is much older than Trea and the Suns were desperate for a deal.

As its already been discussed the Hawks will only deal Young to the Spurs because we own their picks. If they don't deal him to the Spurs the Hawks picks will hover in the 8-10 range. Perfect spot for Wright to draft another Vessel, Sochan or Primmo. People are over valuing those picks badly.
    KD is still better than Trae and will be for the next two years. Nobody considered Trae on KD's level when that trade went down. I also believe the opposite is true in that people are way over valuing Trae as opposed to those picks. Nobody here ever looks at what other teams are going to offer Atl for Trae and nobody is going to offer a package like what we throw around here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mikal bridges alone is worth a couple firsts rn. they got that + four firsts (the most a team can possibly trade unless they already owned excess picks) for a disgruntled 34 year old
    And by definition, Trae will be disgruntled if they trade him....and not as impactful a player as KD...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't see anyone mention it, but Young is eligible for an extension this off-season.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's zero chance Atlanta deals Trae while we have their picks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you guys think is the cut-off age if we're talking trades for legit players?
    I'd like to see a couple of actually solid veterans in the rotation next season, but I wouldn't use multiple firsts for players that aren't close to Wemby's timeline.

Trae turns 26 later this year and I'd say that an acceptable age gap.
    But for example Bridges is already in questionable age range, will turn 28 this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And by definition, Trae will be disgruntled if they trade him....and not as impactful a player as KD...
    theres no indication that he's asking out now or that he's disgruntled now. supposedly they had some exploratory talks w/ the spurs ahead of the deadline. they might decide its in the team's interest to reset, and not a trade due to young asking out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs shouldn't make a major trade for anyone under 28. Yes, under, not over. scott got me thinking about this a while back, but it's foolish to try to get Wemby a young running mate, especially one on a max contract. As exstatic has been hinting at, Young is just going to get more expensive as time goes on. The Spurs shouldn't look at trades with the idea that those players will be on the roster five years from now. They absolutely need to have a long-term view on the implications of their deals, but that's really in terms of the rookie-scale guys or long-term non-max guys like Vassell and maybe Johnson.

I think you can make the argument that the Spurs shouldn't lock themselves into Young until/unless they believe Young is going to put them over the top. Likely a Wemby/Young duo is still a major piece away from being a real contender for a few years, and that piece would be hard to get if they're trying to make a deal now.

The team should pursue a legit vet this off-season. Not a young vet, and not a cast-off. They should get a guy who can show them how to win. I've already said all this before, so I'm not going to go into much again. But ultimately, the Spurs should probably pursue a guy who's at the peak of his earning potential and be willing to pay him the money they aren't paying Wemby right now to chaperone the team for a couple of years. Then when it's time for Wemby to be the star, they have that money free and can make win-now moves, and that old guy can hang around on a cheap deal if it still makes sense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would look toward how Trae matches up against the Spurs' biggest compe ors on their timeline to see whether it's worth it to get him. Best young cores in the league:

Orlando: Suggs-Franz-Paolo-Isaac
    OKC: Cason-SGA-JDub-Chet

Can you conceivably see a Trae-Vassell-Sochan-Wemby team getting past these two teams in the playoffs on a regular basis? If the answer is yes, then you go get him. If the answer is no, then better to try and hit with one of your many lottery picks for someone who either fits better or is a better player.

Thread Information