Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Pelicans use the '24 pick (unlikely), the Lakers can also trade their '25 pick. And if the Pelicans defer (more likely), the Lakers can't "trade" their '24 pick (because they'd owe the '25 one) but they can select a player for another team and trade his draft rights after taking him. So for all practical purposes they have 3 first rounders to trade rather than 2 (picks in '24/'25, '29, '31 + swaps in '26, '28, '30).

So they could do a Reaves + DeAngelo Russell + Hood Schifino + Max Christie + 3 unprotected FRPs ('24/'25 + '29 + '31) + 3 unprotected swaps for ('26 + '28 + '30) for Trae. I think that's a compe ive offer, not sure they Hawks could get so much more from another team.
    The 31 pick doesn’t become available for trade until the new league year in July. They can’t trade it on draft night. If LA picks a player with this year’s pick, and doesn’t trade him by 30 June, there’s a 30 day window when they can’t trade his player rights. Happened to Wiggins after Cleveland drafted him, and then found out that LeBron was returning, and wanted KLove. I’m sure Atlanta will wait, and not continue to talk to other teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If NOP takes the pick this year, the 2025 pick is free to trade starting on draft day. The Stepien Rule only applies to future picks and doesn't care about picks traded in the past. During the draft (either 24 or 25), 29 and 31 are all available to trade.
    31 is not available until July, and if deferring screws over LA, then NO will defer, barring lightning striking and the Lakers winning the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 31 pick doesn’t become available for trade until the new league year in July. They can’t trade it on draft night. If LA picks a player with this year’s pick, and doesn’t trade him by 30 June, there’s a 30 day window when they can’t trade his player rights. Happened to Wiggins after Cleveland drafted him, and then found out that LeBron was returning, and wanted KLove. I’m sure Atlanta will wait, and not continue to talk to other teams.
    I believe that restriction applies only if the player is signed, not drafted. So they could draft him, wait a few days until July, then trade his rights and have the new team sign him. That's what happened with Walker Kessler in the '22 draft, he was picked by Minnesota then his draft rights were traded to Utah a few days later in the Gobert trade, then he signed his rookie deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was actually 23,24,25 New Orleans choice. They deferred last year. What a dumbass Rob Pelinka is.
    2023 was a pick swap that didnt end up mattering since the pelicans natural pick was better

is this incorrect?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    31 is not available until July, and if deferring screws over LA, then NO will defer, barring lightning striking and the Lakers winning the lottery.
    No, it's available starting draft day. The Stepien rule says you can only trade future picks seven years out. The 2024 pick ceases to be a future pick on draft day. It's not based on the league year like you seem to be implying.

Why are you being weird about this? The Lakers can trade three picks, even if they might need to trade those in the form of rights. Whether that's enough for Young is another matter, but they aren't nearly as restricted as you thought, and that's why folks are floating them as an option

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Pelicans use the '24 pick (unlikely), the Lakers can also trade their '25 pick. And if the Pelicans defer (more likely), the Lakers can't "trade" their '24 pick (because they'd owe the '25 one) but they can select a player for another team and trade his draft rights after taking him. So for all practical purposes they have 3 first rounders to trade rather than 2 (picks in '24/'25, '29, '31 + swaps in '26, '28, '30).

So they could do a Reaves + DeAngelo Russell + Hood Schifino + Max Christie + 3 unprotected FRPs ('24/'25 + '29 + '31) + 3 unprotected swaps for ('26 + '28 + '30) for Trae. I think that's a compe ive offer, not sure they Hawks could get so much more from another team.
    I wouldn't even be mad if that happens, cause those Hawks picks would be incredible for us in that scenario

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While we're at NOLA, what happened to those Herb Jones rumors?
    Imo, if he's available, he should be the #1 target.
    One of the best defenders in the league, made great improvements to his shot and is on 41% on 3.5 attempts this season.
    25 years old and on a bargain contract up until 2027.

Doesn't get any better if we talk Wemby fit, imo.
    If he's unhappy and wants out, easily worth two first rounders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't even be mad if that happens, cause those Hawks picks would be incredible for us in that scenario
    In that case I would expect Atlanta to trade those picks for immediate help rather than waiting to use them. Remember what a single future Laker first ('27 top 4 protected) got them from Utah/Minnesota (DLo, Vanderbilt, Beasley), if they use those picks wisely it could give them a much more well rounded team immediately. It depends on how they execute more than anything.
    Last edited by Ariel; 02-12-2024 at 04:30 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The national media will undoubtedly attempt to will Young to the Lakers if/when this becomes a full blown story by the off season, but they can't compete with what the Spurs can offer, who have the number one currency extant: Three unprotected/swap rights Hawks picks.

The Spurs may not have a young player who makes a ton of sense for them, but if they don't want Johnson, it shouldn't be much trouble to find someone who does. Whoever that team is can either give them a young player they do want or even more draft capital/salary relief.

I would think only Wembanyama, Vassell, Sochan (J. Johnson is a better version, so I doubt they'd care) and the natural '24 1st would be off limits.

We could go around in circles on this, but frankly I'm not going to keep poking you with a stick as you burrow further into a semantic hole. The question of if a player can improve their play-recognition and ability to do the right thing in a given situation, the answer is yes. If you want to have a private definition of BBIQ to be some genetic thing, that's fine. All that means that your use of BBIQ captures less of the conversation than a more standard definition does. It's obvious one can improve one's understanding of basketball by studying it, experiencing it and being instructed on how to process it. That's true whether that's "enhancing" BBIQ or just part of building it in the first place. For example, if Vassell wanted to improve his ability to recognize when Wemby's open and how to get him the ball, and and Victor can sit down in a room, go over film and discuss what cues they use to determine their actions and how they can sync up their movements to create opportunities. Or Pop can call plays which are based on Vassell passing the ball to Wemby in a manufactured window and through repe ion, Devin can learn how the timing and windows work.

That doesn't mean Vassell would turn into Manu, but if Devin (and Victor and all of the Spurs) is willing to put in the work, he can start to play smarter on the court.
    Understanding is not the same as IQ. There's plenty of players who eventually recognize patterns and situations, but are still more reactive than proactive and never get to the point of manipulating the opposition.

While we're at NOLA, what happened to those Herb Jones rumors?
    Imo, if he's available, he should be the #1 target.
    One of the best defenders in the league, made great improvements to his shot and is on 41% on 3.5 attempts this season.
    25 years old and on a bargain contract up until 2027.

Doesn't get any better if we talk Wemby fit, imo.
    If he's unhappy and wants out, easily worth two first rounders.
    I doubt they're shopping him. He's probably only available in a scenario where they'd be acquiring a player of significance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^My list of untouchables would only include Wemby, our '24, and one of the SA/ATL '25 & '27. I don't want to go pick-less in those drafts, but in many respects I'd rather bet ourselves and send out our pick and keep ATLs, but I understand they will be the thing ATL wants most.

Everything else is open for discussion, IMO. Aside from Wemby, there are no sacred cows amongst this heard of heifers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant it more so from the standpoint of how I think the Spurs would go about it.

Granted, I'd be similar minus Sochan.

I doubt the Spurs would go without a 1st in any draft.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't trade any Spurs pick unless it's a trade for a legit superstar.
    ATL picks for a superstar or Trae if it's just those three picks and they also take Collins+Keldon. I'm sure they'll ask for at least 4 from other teams.

Others are up for grabs.
    I wouldn't trade Jeremy or Devin unless it's a good offer, but if it was let's say just 2FRP+Devin for Trae, I'd do it.

Everyone else can go as far as I'm concerned.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    "sometimes you feel for [wemby], sometimes he has some open looks and they don't get it to him":

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that's a really good offer but I doubt that LA sends Reaves, they would essentially have three players: old Lebron, injury happy David and no-defense Young and won't have any picks for the next decade. That's a huge gamble. I think that Atlanta accept your offer even without Reaves as all the picks starting 26 will likely be high.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say this: at no point should the Spurs include their's or the Hawks' '25 first in any trade tbh.
    I really don't understand this. Lakers have nothing to offer for Trae and the hawks won't pull the trigger on them. They'll have I think 3 first rounders available next season to trade?
    You'd be trading an admittedly possibly great draft pick for a PERENNIAL YOUNG ALLSTAR. Guys come on. Even if we get lucky in the '25 draft, you still have no clue if flagg or bailey will be even close to as good as Trae Young is now.

Trade the mystery box for a boat, because even though the box could be a yacht, it could also be a piece of horse . (much more likely btw)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that's a really good offer but I doubt that LA sends Reaves, they would essentially have three players: old Lebron, injury happy David and no-defense Young and won't have any picks for the next decade. That's a huge gamble. I think that Atlanta accept your offer even without Reaves as all the picks starting 26 will likely be high.
    Maybe, but the point I was making was that the Lakers could definitely put together a strong offer if they wanted. Whether they will actually go for it is a different matter and there's no way to tell, but they absolutely can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, but the point I was making was that the Lakers could definitely put together a strong offer if they wanted. Whether they will actually go for it is a different matter and there's no way to tell, but they absolutely can.
    You're on the right track, I think. It will be Trae Young, Donovan Mitc , a player of that ilk. Clearing those FRPs will be the key. I think they could manage with two of them, unprotected, a swap or two, JHS, Christie. I have a feeling the Lakers will be fine moving Reaves especially if they faceplant in the playoffs/play-in or it can be Hachimura joining Russell instead.

Thinking about it, I do think they'll have to offer 3 picks. Checking their roster they have no good young players, lol. I think they can trade the other portion of the 2027 pick they owe Utah. Right now it's protected 1-4, but they could give it to Atlanta protected 5-30. Maybe better than including a different pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In that case I would expect Atlanta to trade those picks for immediate help rather than waiting to use them. Remember what a single future Laker first ('27 top 4 protected) got them from Utah/Minnesota (DLo, Vanderbilt, Beasley), if they use those picks wisely it could give them a much more well rounded team immediately. It depends on how they execute more than anything.
    Maybe, but they also traded 3 picks and a swap for some help and got worse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chances of a better player at as young an age (at a position of need) becoming available for trade in the coming years to pair with Wemby is pretty miniscule.

The chance of that player having San Antonio as their first choice (as has been mooted by Stein) is even smaller.

The chance of the Spurs having the best leverage of any team in a future trade race by virtue of owning the picks of the team they'd be dealing with is smaller still.

All of those factors are why PATFO should pull the trigger if Trae Young becomes available.

I'd get the patience argument in most cir stances but I don't trust Brian Wright's drafting ability - based on a five-year body of work - enough to turn down 26-year-old Trae Young to continue the mystery box approach in perpetuity. If Presti were still in the building maybe I'd be more inclined to stick with The Process approach.

Maybe others have more faith in BW than me but play the 'let our GM (who may or may not be out of his depth) keep making lottery picks and hopefully it'll work out' game for long enough and, uh oh, you're suddenly the Charlotte Hornets with LaMelo Ball if it goes awry.
    Last edited by Blizzardwizard; 02-13-2024 at 06:36 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson, Graham, Craptors 1st, Hawks '25 and '27 1sts and either the Hawks '26 swap (won't have much value in this scenario) or the Hornets 1st for Young and Griffin?

If in position to select Risacher, do so. If not, maybe Salaun (3 and D archetype would be more valuable than connector/point forward one), re-sign Osman for 2 years at similar money plus inflation and don't re-sign Mamukelashvili . . .

Starters: Sochan, Risacher/Osman, Wembanyama, Vassell, Young

Bench: Jones, Collins, Osman/Salaun, Griffin, Champagnie

Deep bench/G-League: Bassey, Branham, Wesley, Barlow, Cissoko

If the natural 2nd is retained, not stashed and won't accept a two-way, either Bassey or Cissoko would likely be waived.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the 2025 draft class potentially good?

But as BW said if we can get him let's do it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If in position to select Risacher, do so. If not, maybe Salaun (3 and D archetype would be more valuable than connector/point forward one)
    Not really sure if I buy into Salaun, a really young and big forward who can shoot and (supposedly) defend seems like a good idea on paper, but every clip I watch shows a catch and shoot guy who doesn't look super fluid, and his shooting numbers are good but not phenomenal either. He should definitely be on the Spurs radar, as young as he is a couple of months can totally change the trajectory of a prospect at this stage (see Coulibaly, Bilal) but at this point I'm not suuuuper impressed. Someone to monitor closely, though.
    If the natural 2nd is retained, not stashed and won't accept a two-way, either Bassey or Cissoko would likely be waived.
    I think it's clear Bassey is the odd man out, there's just not much value in having an injured 3rd string center the like of whom can probably be had in the late 2nd round. Cissoko I find more intriguing, though we can't keep piling up absolute non shooters like him and Wesley. I'd keep him another year, and if he shows no progress in terms of shooting, then move on. For the Spurs' own 2nd rounder maybe Kolek could be had, with the Lakers' pick perhaps an Adem Bona, perhaps a Nuñez (Spanish PG) draft & stash. Anyways, I support taking more shots, but the Spurs have to speed up the projects' life cycle... otherwise the opportunity cost outweighs the pick's value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the 2025 draft class potentially good?

But as BW said if we can get him let's do it

the top two picks (boozer and flagg) will be highly coveted. but there are some other potential standouts in the 25 draft as well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chances of a better player at as young an age (at a position of need) becoming available for trade in the coming years to pair with Wemby is pretty miniscule.

The chance of that player having San Antonio as their first choice (as has been mooted by Stein) is even smaller.

The chance of the Spurs having the best leverage of any team in a future trade race by virtue of owning the picks of the team they'd be dealing with is smaller still.

All of those factors are why PATFO should pull the trigger if Trae Young becomes available.

I'd get the patience argument in most cir stances but I don't trust Brian Wright's drafting ability - based on a five-year body of work - enough to turn down 26-year-old Trae Young to continue the mystery box approach in perpetuity. If Presti were still in the building maybe I'd be more inclined to stick with The Process approach.

Maybe others have more faith in BW than me but play the 'let our GM (who may or may not be out of his depth) keep making lottery picks and hopefully it'll work out' game for long enough and, uh oh, you're suddenly the Charlotte Hornets with LaMelo Ball if it goes awry.
    I am starting to lean this way as well. The Spurs could get a star level player by doing almost nothing other than giving Atlanta one of its picks back. Seems almost dumb not to take it even if Trae has some baggage. What star player doesn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the top two picks (boozer and flagg) will be highly coveted. but there are some other potential standouts in the 25 draft as well.
    I thought Cam Boozer was supposed to be in the 2026 draft class, next year it's Flagg and others

Thread Information