Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1661
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's Indiana's financial situation look like? How about some kind of deal for Nembhard and Jarace Walker?
    I like where you're going...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one thing is, I think the Spurs want protections on that Alt picks for Trae rather than unprotected.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JeffDuncan I just hope you're ok, because I've got no clue how to reply to all the nonsense you wrote.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is making too much on that third deal which should start in 2 years. Look at the teams who traded hauls for a star that did not work out. HOU was sent to 4 year tank without control of their picks moving forward. BKN was sent to the stone age. DAL was set back 4 years and had to dig themself out with even more picks. Wemby is as good as gone if that happens, that is why every GM wants a long rebuild.
    Please read what I wrote closer….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some cap room but the hold for Siakam takes up most of it.

Indiana is also interesting for another reason.

They basically ended up swapping out Brogdon for a point guard who could shoot tons of threes, was an incredible passer, and a bad defender and as such went from a boring team with no future to a thrilling team on the come up
    Indy is half a game above the play in. I want more than excitement,I want high playoff seeds and les. Call me when they ring.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one thing is, I think the Spurs want protections on that Alt picks for Trae rather than unprotected.
    The whole point of them trading Trae would be so they can blow it up and tank for Flagg, Bailey, Dybantsa, and Boozer, and they can't do that if they don't have their own picks back unrestricted and with the Spurs 26 swap ripped up. Completely unrealistic to think you could get Trae Young for their picks back protected say top 5 or even top 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole point of them trading Trae would be so they can blow it up and tank for Flagg, Bailey, Dybantsa, and Boozer, and they can't do that if they don't have their own picks back unrestricted and with the Spurs 26 swap ripped up. Completely unrealistic to think you could get Trae Young for their picks back protected say top 5 or even top 2.
    Just heard a podcast on this topic and they agreed the Spurs shouldn't offer the picks back without protection. I think the 2026 swap unprotected and perhaps the 2025 top 3 might the starting bid. It's going to be an interesting offseason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greatest lob passer of this millennium teams up with two of the greatest lob threats to form lob city, and what did they win? Nothing. Not even one trip to the finals. There’s more to life than lob passes

Spend the Chicago pick, send it to Portland for Brogdon, and extend him for 2 years, and let him be a game manager for 3 years to train up the PG we draft. He can pass, DEFEND, shoot the three, and I’m sure throw lob passes. Sign or trade for a few defenders and shooters. If the Toronto pick doesn’t convey, send it to New Orleans for Herb Jones. He’s both.
    1000% this.

Even if he misses 20games with injuries Brogdon is THE perfect fit short term. Playmaking shooting and veteran leadership!!

I’d just nuanced about your « lobs » point, it’s not so much the lobs, but the pick and roll that would be so tough to guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JeffDuncan I just hope you're ok, because I've got no clue how to reply to all the nonsense you wrote.

Oh please. You are kidding nobody.

You still like Naz Reid, or what?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the idea of Brogdon if he can stay healthy. But he can't.
    He's been out for almost 2 months now with elbow tendinitis.
    Last season is the only healthy season he's had since his rookie year.

We don’t need him 82 games, his veteran and mentoring role for a young drafted PG would be invaluable.

quality veterans have become a rarity and by effect expensive. We need them badly

I laught at FVV or Brooks deals last summer, I’m genuinely jealous today when I imagine how useful they’d be for the Spurs.

If Trae costs too much (in draft capital) Brogdon is the best solution short term imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole point of them trading Trae is that they have to. They cannot stand pat, or they get raped in 25, or nothing at all in 26.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greatest lob passer of this millennium teams up with two of the greatest lob threats to form lob city, and what did they win? Nothing. Not even one trip to the finals. There’s more to life than lob passes

Spend the Chicago pick, send it to Portland for Brogdon, and extend him for 2 years, and let him be a game manager for 3 years to train up the PG we draft. He can pass, DEFEND, shoot the three, and I’m sure throw lob passes. Sign or trade for a few defenders and shooters. If the Toronto pick doesn’t convey, send it to New Orleans for Herb Jones. He’s both.
    Sorry, but what is the plan here? Losing some good assets for a "game" manager" for 3 years to train up the PG we draft? What PG are we talking about here, btw? What guarantees do you have you'll actually draft a future star PG? And how do you develop the kid with Brogon eating most of the minutes? Every great rookie is starting in his first season.

Why losing assets for a "trainer" for 3 years when you'll have minimum salary vets that'll do as wel without eating your playing time? Then lose some more assets for Herb Jones... OK, but where are you going for 3 years with a Wemby/Brogdon/Herb big 3? Nowhere, and you might not have enough assets left to sign that second superstar you need, assuming there's one available down the road...

Is the ultimate goal, ringing or being a play in/first round exit team? Or just be better. I do'nt see interest with Wemby in to lose assets for mid term guys that won't dramatically move the needle.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-26-2024 at 05:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And "lob city" didn't have Victor freaking Wembanyama as one of those lob threats. You have a tendency to reduce things to only one part of the equation. Jordan and Griffin were mostly athletci freaks, put a prime Wemby in place of them with Paul and that's another story.... With Vic that would be the lobs + all the other things he brings in, with opponents having to pick their poison and not being able to focus on just defending the other things like they're doing now, quintupling him, which would give more space and freedom from Victor to operate.

I mean a prime Wemby/Paul/Griffin (or Jordan) big 3 is certainly ringing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but what is the plan here? Losing some good assets for a "game" manager" for 3 years to train up the PG we draft? What PG are we talking about here, btw? What guarantees do you have you'll actually draft a future star PG? And how do you develop the kid with Brogon eating most of the minutes? Every great rookie is starting in his first season.

Why losing assets for a "trainer" for 3 years when you'll have minimum salary vets that'll do as wel without eating your playing time? Then lose some more assets for Herb Jones... OK, but where are you going for 3 years with a Wemby/Brogdon/Herb big 3? Nowhere, and you might not have enough assets left to sign that second superstar you need, assuming there's one available down the road...

Is the ultimate goal, ringing or being a play in/first round exit team? Or just be better. I do'nt see interest with Wemby in to lose assets for mid term guys that won't dramatically move the needle.
    The point of the transition period is to NOT suck while you use and develop the remaining picks, sort of a trades version of Houston last summer. Not sure which minimum salary PG is going to bring the shooting, defense and game management of Brogdon, but that Chicago pick is house money, coming from trading unrestricted FA Demar Derozan. Just imagine in the NBA desert of first round picks that exists now,a team offering you a FRP for an unrestricted FA.

As for your question, the goal is play in/first round exit, THEN a ring. There’s no universe where you don’t go through the progression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also to add, ALT must shred salary this off season. Looks like they'll lose Bey to injury all year. That's why Murray or Trae are gone next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only chiming in to comment on Spurs future draft capital. 2028 is a unique year (as are 2026 and 2030) because it is attached to a Top-1 protected swap with Boston. In theory, these picks are more valuable, because you can get a high pick by one of two teams being bad, not just relying on one team to be bad.

I’m glad you jumped in, that’s good info. I see now, that pick was involved in the Derrick White trade. Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t need him [Brogdon] 82 games, his veteran and mentoring role for a young drafted PG would be invaluable.

You won’t get mentoring from somebody who can’t practice with the team because he’s hurt, and who can’t travel with the team because he has to stay home to do his prescribed medical rehab. The team is on the road for half its games, y’know.

He could phone it in, you think? Don’t be so nonchalant about an injury history. It seriously matters whether a guy can play.

And you want to enter his salary on the salary sheet as “invaluable.” The accountants will love that one.

If you want a mentor, the thing to do is to sign a grizzled veteran who’s almost out of the league, for the vet minimum. You tell him up front that he can only expect to play a few minutes in garage time, and his main job will be to help the kids learn the game. There’s your mentor.

The only reason to sign Brogdon would be to have him play. That’s it. I’m not saying I’m against that. He could improve the team. If he can pass the physical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You won’t get mentoring from somebody who can’t practice with the team because he’s hurt, and who can’t travel with the team because he has to stay home to do his prescribed medical rehab. The team is on the road for half its games, y’know.

He could phone it in, you think? Don’t be so nonchalant about an injury history. It seriously matters whether a guy can play.

And you want to enter his salary on the salary sheet as “invaluable.” The accountants will love that one.

If you want a mentor, the thing to do is to sign a grizzled veteran who’s almost out of the league, for the vet minimum. You tell him up front that he can only expect to play a few minutes in garage time, and his main job will be to help the kids learn the game. There’s your mentor.

The only reason to sign Brogdon would be to have him play. That’s it. I’m not saying I’m against that. He could improve the team. If he can pass the physical.
    With Portland, it’s hard t know who’s really injured, and who’s a healthy scratch with a medical excuse, because they’ve been in the tank almost as long as Detroit. Dame played only 89 games his last two seasons there, combined, yet has played 66/71 Milwaukee games this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point of the transition period is to NOT suck while you use and develop the remaining picks, sort of a trades version of Houston last summer. Not sure which minimum salary PG is going to bring the shooting, defense and game management of Brogdon, but that Chicago pick is house money, coming from trading unrestricted FA Demar Derozan. Just imagine in the NBA desert of first round picks that exists now,a team offering you a FRP for an unrestricted FA.

As for your question, the goal is play in/first round exit, THEN a ring. There’s no universe where you don’t go through the progression.
    And there's also no universe where we've seen a Wemby in a team with so many assets. Wemby is that special that you can build a contender pretty fast, if you trade for a Trae (for example) you still have enough assets to add a couple elite role players pretty fast then attract ring chasers and minimum vet guys around in the next couple years. Actually he's that special that it IS what you should do. you can't afford gambling too much or wasting your assets for a play in appearence. Who cares?

And the point is precisely that you're taking your journey with the same core... You do'nt go from one phase (with the players you wanna trade and waste assets for) then OK phase 2, now let's change our roster again and build our contender with some other guys...

HOU? they're not even a play in team now, and don't have a Wemby on their roster. Sengun is their only surefire star and there's nothing that say they're on path to contending. Ok, they won more games than last year but then what? They're on the treadmill, hoping one or two of the bunch of youngsters they have will pan out, just like we hoped with our roster.

Your project still implies to use some of our assets to trade for some guys that will help make the transttiion until our picks n the next 3 years will develop and cons ue the contending core? What picks and what guarantee they pan out? Do you wanna to take the risk of wasting Wemby's 4 first years or so with the hope 2 of spurs future picks are gonna become superstars?

It's easier to trade for a star than drafting a future one. there's no point "transtioning" when you get a possible GOAT on your team in 2024. Keep your assets to go big and directly build that contender. Bring me a star with them or don't use them at all, at the risk of missing on a big trade in the future, let's say a Luka or some elite role players because you're lacking a few picks for that.

Wemby is unique, so think unique.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also to add, ALT must shred salary this off season. Looks like they'll lose Bey to injury all year. That's why Murray or Trae are gone next season.
    Atlanta don't need to shed salary. They won't be able to re-sign Bey but other than that they can fit under the tax without a problem. How exactly will the team improve is another matter.

They're not forced to move anyone unless it's for a package they like and neither are they losing Young for nothing in 2026.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, the big euro guy *insert name here*. My bad!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta don't need to shed salary. They won't be able to re-sign Bey but other than that they can fit under the tax without a problem. How exactly will the team improve is another matter.

They're not forced to move anyone unless it's for a package they like and neither are they losing Young for nothing in 2026.
    Yes, because magically, he’s going to stay in a situation that’s been deteriorating for 3 years, with no way to improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, because magically, he’s going to stay in a situation that’s been deteriorating for 3 years, with no way to improve.
    Why wouldn’t he stay? They can offer the most money and it’s not like contenders will create 45 mil of cap space for him in the summer of 26. Lower level stars don’t move in free agency anymore. They get their money and ask for a trade later.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: ATL cap space and the tax

While Capela is up after next season, Jalen Johnson is entering the extension window and might have played himself into a max contract offer if he waits for restricted free agency. Might be able to squeeze it out if them on an extension.

His agent is with Klutch. Klutch have done team friendly deals with Dejounte, guess we'll see what happens here

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if ATL having the lottery protected Kings pick will have an effect on how they operate. Kings pick is protected 1-14 in 2024, 1-12 in 2025 1-10 in 2026, then becomes 2 seconds

Thread Information