Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1661
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae stays with the Hawks -> those picks are in the late lottery, maybe we get one top10 pick.
    Trae is traded somewhere else -> Hawks have no incentive to tank because they don't own their picks, no chance for those picks to be in top5.
    Trae is traded with the Spurs -> Hawks can tank.

Trading for Trae has obvious risks and could backfire, but it's way safer than Brian Wright picking in 8-15 range.

I agree.

+ It looks like a poker game to me where Atlanta has the most pressure. It’s up to Brian Wright to play it right.

It’s not a given that Atlanta won’t finish lottery pick next season even if they try to avoid it. If they wait too long they’ll lose their best hope of rebuilding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My dream would be Trea and Lauri this off season. The Spurs have the draft capitol and cap space to make it happen. People will point out that Lauri could leave after next season but the Spurs would hold his Bird Rights so in order to leave he would have to leave behind Wemby and Trea plus 10's of millions of dollars.

I like the Spurs chances of keeping him. No way do you leave that kind of money and opportunity on the table plus Lauri doesn't seem like a big market guy at all.
    Just my opinion but I love Lauri and think he would be an ideal fit, to the point that if we went out and got Lauri I no longer think we need to go get Trae. We could find a different, less costly solution at PG with Lauri and Wemby as the front court.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just my opinion but I love Lauri and think he would be an ideal fit, to the point that if we went out and got Lauri I no longer think we need to go get Trae. We could find a different, less costly solution at PG with Lauri and Wemby as the front court.
    I don't want Markkanen because Ainge's sole purpose in the league is to fleece people.
    And he's up for extension, would definitely demand more than 30M per year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One can always dream, but I mean if we could go from that show to a Wemby/Trae/Lauri big 3 in one summer, THAT, my friends, would an offseason.

Snap! From bottom league to contender, just like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want Markkanen because Ainge's sole purpose in the league is to fleece people.
    And he's up for extension, would definitely demand more than 30M per year.
    We're completely on the same page about Ainge, and I would avoid even having exploratory talks with him. He'll fleece you for an SRP but just talking about the weather. But as far as the player goes... he truly would be ideal IMO.

He'll demand more than $30MM per year, but he's worth it. Not worried about paying guys who are worth the money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pardon the ellipsis, I’m just using this to reply to the earlier discussion.

About Naz Reid, I looked at some highlights, some game video and some stats, and I’ve decided we want him. Power forward, beside Wemby. Yes, he’s worth a first round pick, of some kind. I’ll go along with you on that.

How to get him? His contract price is no obstacle, but for Minny to trade him they would presumably be looking to minimize their luxury tax liability. They won’t want to take salary they have to keep. Thoughts?

They should be interested in draft picks a few years out. Nothing this year. The point about salary, again.

Gobert’s contract ends in the summer of ’26, and KAT’s in the summer of ‘28. That sets the target range, it appears. They should be interested in draft picks in 2027 and 2028, when they’ll have a chance of some salary breathing room, and may be especially interested in new, young players.

I haven’t kept track of all the Spurs’ draft picks. The Spurs own first round pick in ’28 shouldn’t be a major sacrifice. According to the Grand Plan that draft pick is supposed to be #30. Even if we’re not that fortunate, if the Spurs are still fretting about getting the highest possible pick in 2028, then saints preserve us, because something has gone horribly wrong.

Anyway, a deal for Naz Reid. An adequate amount of salary, that they won’t have to keep. The Spurs 1st round pick in ’28. That’s my offer to initiate the trade talk. Then see where it leads. I might be willing to offer more, depending.

Any comment?

With Reid, Sochan goes to the bench. My autotype wanted to make that “beach.” Either way, as long as he isn’t starting.

If I ruled the Spurs world, I would also make a serious effort to trade Vassell, and to get Grayson Allen. I already commented about Allen.

So:

PG
    Grayson Allen
    SF
    Naz Reid
    Wemby

About Tre Jones - and setting Trae Young aside for the moment - it wouldn’t be the end of the world if Tre Jones continued to start next season. Except, it would be perilously close to the end if he’s still the only legit NBA quality pg on the roster. Enough of this “in development” G league crapola. It has to stop. If Bugs Bunny walks by, takes out a great big mallet, and smacks Tre Jones as flat as a pancake, I do not want to watch Wesley or Branham out there “in development” trying to be a pg. The phrasing is frivolous but the point is serious. Enough of that nonsense. Development of players like Wesley and Branham is why the Austin team exists.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About Naz Reid, I looked at some highlights, some game video and some stats, and I’ve decided we want him.
    Sorry, but this is hillarious.
    As if either of us has any say in the actual decision making.

Power forward, beside Wemby. Yes, he’s worth a first round pick, of some kind. I’ll go along with you on that.
    The reason I want him is that he's the best possible fit in the league out of any PF that's not an all-star.
    But over the past few days I've been trying to find out how Wolves fans see their roster and they legit think Naz is their Manu in the making.
    And he seems to love it here. Wouldn't surprise me if he's open to taking a tream-friendly deal. They look like the real deal, as long as Edwards is there.

How to get him? His contract price is no obstacle, but for Minny to trade him they would presumably be looking to minimize their luxury tax liability. They won’t want to take salary they have to keep. Thoughts?

They should be interested in draft picks a few years out. Nothing this year. The point about salary, again.

Gobert’s contract ends in the summer of ’26, and KAT’s in the summer of ‘28. That sets the target range, it appears. They should be interested in draft picks in 2027 and 2028, when they’ll have a chance of some salary breathing room, and may be especially interested in new, young players.

I haven’t kept track of all the Spurs’ draft picks. The Spurs own first round pick in ’28 shouldn’t be a major sacrifice. According to the Grand Plan that draft pick is supposed to be #30. Even if we’re not that fortunate, if the Spurs are still fretting about getting the highest possible pick in 2028, then saints preserve us, because something has gone horribly wrong.

Anyway, a deal for Naz Reid. An adequate amount of salary, that they won’t have to keep. The Spurs 1st round pick in ’28. That’s my offer to initiate the trade talk. Then see where it leads. I might be willing to offer more, depending.

Any comment?
    Looking at their roster, that KAT contract is a franchise killer. Even though he's still a very good player, they must get rid of it.
    Them doing really well without him just confirms KAT is obsolete for them. 5-1 in last 6, with the only loss being a 3pt heartbreak against Denver.
    We obviously don't want anything to do with KAT's contract.

Edwards is their franchise and Gobert has been great for them. Doesn't have much trade value, so those two are keepers.
    Conley also just signed a team-friendly extension.
    McDaniels' contract kicks in next year, starts at 22M the next season. He's a good player, but just those 4 will be making 100M the next year.

Then we come to the biggest issue for them: will their ownership be willing to pay so much luxury tax? Especially with all the takeover rumors.
    Best case scenario for them is getting rid of KAT and ownership being willing to pay some luxury tax. Then Naz probably goes out of reach for us.

Our issue is that when trading with contendes, we have noone those teams would want.
    Our picks would just get re-routed to a third team that would give contender the players they want.

I'm talking absolute nonsense here, but the first thing that comes to my mind would be a three team deal with the Nets.
    Spurs giving up picks for Reid and maybe even McDaniels, then Minnesota sending those picks and KAT in Brooklyn for a combination of Bridges/Cam Johnson/DFS/Cam Thomas.
    Everyone wants to leave the Nets, but Nets have no picks and can't tank. So they take some picks and KAT as a fake franchise player.
    Us and Timberwolves get 3-D guys we badly need.
    Again, this is just nonsense and the first thing that came to my mind that would maybe be realistic for Timberwolves to improve while shedding salary.

If I ruled the Spurs world, I would also make a serious effort to trade Vassell, and to get Grayson Allen. I already commented about Allen.
    The more I think about it, the more I'm lost at finding a team that would give up solid assets for Devin.
    He's a decent scorer and nothing else. Will make almost 30M a year.
    I guess he makes sense for Hawks/Cavs if we go for Trae/Garland because they both have two point guards, more or less.

I think Devin stays since Spurs aren't likely to go for either of those two, but I think he needs to be moved because having both guards on max deals isn't a smart thing in today's NBA unless they're both star players. And even then it doesn't work.

I just think that Wemby will be good enough to contend in no time, maybe even the next season and that PATFO should use his rookie contract to contend right away. Obviously if it can be done without wasting the pick stash, for a fair price. And with players that fit the timeline. I'd be reluctant to trade picks for anyone who's 28+ already unless it's an MVP level player. Older free agents are fine, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pardon the ellipsis, I’m just using this to reply to the earlier discussion.

About Naz Reid, I looked at some highlights, some game video and some stats, and I’ve decided we want him. Power forward, beside Wemby. Yes, he’s worth a first round pick, of some kind. I’ll go along with you on that.

Any comment?

With Reid, Sochan goes to the bench. My autotype wanted to make that “beach.” Either way, as long as he isn’t starting.

So:

PG
    Grayson Allen
    SF
    Naz Reid
    Wemby

About Tre Jones - and setting Trae Young aside for the moment - it wouldn’t be the end of the world if Tre Jones continued to start next season. Except, it would be perilously close to the end if he’s still the only legit NBA quality pg on the roster. Enough of this “in development” G league crapola. It has to stop. If Bugs Bunny walks by, takes out a great big mallet, and smacks Tre Jones as flat as a pancake, I do not want to watch Wesley or Branham out there “in development” trying to be a pg. The phrasing is frivolous but the point is serious. Enough of that nonsense. Development of players like Wesley and Branham is why the Austin team exists.
    Only chiming in to comment on Spurs future draft capital. 2028 is a unique year (as are 2026 and 2030) because it is attached to a Top-1 protected swap with Boston. In theory, these picks are more valuable, because you can get a high pick by one of two teams being bad, not just relying on one team to be bad.

I'm not sure if there are any rules that prevent you from protecting a pick attached to a swap (I assume not but I'm not sure), but say you traded a Lotto Protected 2028 pick to Minn. If the Spurs are good and the pick is trending towards being in the late 20s, there is an extra degree of risk that it does not convey, because if the Celtics are bad, then the swap goes into effect, and the protection es Minn's pick. So just like a pick attached to a swap is MORE valuable when you have it unprotected, it is less valuable if it is protected.

Doesn't really matter in the end when thinking about Naz Reid, but just some fun pick quirks that I thought I'd mention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're very much on the clock as a 15 win team on pace to win maybe two more the rest of the season while having the modern day Bill Russell on it. This roster is a dumpster fire in need of an almost complete purge and Wemby's not going to put up with it if this team enters 2027 without a good core around him. Maybe earlier if the team keeps drafting Primos and Sochans.
    The greatest lob passer of this millennium teams up with two of the greatest lob threats to form lob city, and what did they win? Nothing. Not even one trip to the finals. There’s more to life than lob passes

Spend the Chicago pick, send it to Portland for Brogdon, and extend him for 2 years, and let him be a game manager for 3 years to train up the PG we draft. He can pass, DEFEND, shoot the three, and I’m sure throw lob passes. Sign or trade for a few defenders and shooters. If the Toronto pick doesn’t convey, send it to New Orleans for Herb Jones. He’s both.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greatest lob passer of this millennium teams up with two of the greatest lob threats to form lob city, and what did they win? Nothing. Not even one trip to the finals. There’s more to life than lob passes

Spend the Chicago pick, send it to Portland for Brogdon, and extend him for 2 years, and let him be a game manager for 3 years to train up the PG we draft. He can pass, DEFEND, shoot the three, and I’m sure throw lob passes. Sign or trade for a few defenders and shooters. If the Toronto pick doesn’t convey, send it to New Orleans for Herb Jones. He’s both.
    What do you do for the half of the season Brogdon misses? Also LOL comparing Victor to Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-25-2024 at 05:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

andre miller had left the clippers by then

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also not sure if they could even have MLE to spend without Portland taking Zollins off the Spurs hands. Not sure if they could say guarantee Graham and trade him and Branham for Brogdon and the Chicago pick and still have the MLE to spend, as I'm pretty rusty on the cap rules now. Would definitely be better just so they could have Collins for matching salary in a larger trade later on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's such a bizarre angle to take that if you get Wemby someone who can throw lobs, then Wemby will be reduced to only a lob threat. Instead, just imagine Wemby's current progression plus 6 extra easy points every game. Where do I sign up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's such a bizarre angle to take that if you get Wemby someone who can throw lobs, then Wemby will be reduced to only a lob threat. Instead, just imagine Wemby's current progression plus 6 extra easy points every game. Where do I sign up?
    Why throw lobs to the greatest lob threat the league has seen since Wilt? We play Classball here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said it yourself, there's more to life than lobs. Those two weren't good at much else, especially Deandre.
    Clippers also had zero guards that were decent on defense other than CP3 and zero legit wings througout their period of contention.
    And you can't with with a small guard as your best player unless he's the greatest shooter ever.

I don't think we'd even need to use a first-rounder.
    Portland already has too many point guards and Brogdon won't extend there.
    His 22M for the next season means no contender can get him
    A handful of second rounders should be enough.

I like the idea of Brogdon if he can stay healthy. But he can't.
    He's been out for almost 2 months now with elbow tendinitis.
    Last season is the only healthy season he's had since his rookie year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "If he gets easier scores due to great passes, he will never get over himself. He needs to build his character through constant disappointment and wasted effort. Missed opportunities is who we are.". -

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with those Clippers was that CP3 was their best player. Griffin was an All-Star and DeAndre Jordan was a great lob finisher, but neither of them are anywhere close to what Victor will be soon or even is now.

Last year Trae Young was the best lob passer in the game by a country mile, according to BBall Index's stats.

That alone could make his salary worthwhile. He also hits pullup threes at 37.2% this season, not Wemby level (39.7%) but certainly good enough to generate gravity at the arc. Especially on such a high volume (6.7 pullup 3PA per game, insanity).

On the offensive end it's hard to imagine a better skill fit with Wemby than Young, at least among players that are reasonably likely to be available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Except Wemby will be 100x better than Griffin ever was with a much more versatile skill set. Rofl comparing Wemby to Blake Griffin like lobs are the only thing that people want Young for

So your big idea is to trade for an extremely injury prone 30+ year old and hope the Pelicans will gift us their best perimeter defender for a pick? these are some awful takes man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Brogdon isn't worth the Bulls pick (Reid is).

As injury prone and on an expiring contract, he's probably worth the Hornets 1st and something else minor (not counting Graham as salary ballast) at this point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, supposedly, Brogdon has a rep for not being liked by his teammates. Trae gets a bad rep for how he dominates the ball in game, Brogdon seems to be more locker room based.

His nickname was "The President" for how polished and political he supposedly was, that kind of smoith fakeness can rub people the wrong way.

Him and Pop would probably get along famously though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's Indiana's financial situation look like? How about some kind of deal for Nembhard and Jarace Walker?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's Indiana's financial situation look like? How about some kind of deal for Nembhard and Jarace Walker?
    Some cap room but the hold for Siakam takes up most of it.

Indiana is also interesting for another reason.

They basically ended up swapping out Brogdon for a point guard who could shoot tons of threes, was an incredible passer, and a bad defender and as such went from a boring team with no future to a thrilling team on the come up

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're fine financially. They love Nembhard (Carlisle claimed he'd go top 15 in a redraft last season) and fought to keep Walker out of the Siakam trade. They'll probably let Toppin walk and have Walker take his spot in the rotation next season.

Nembhard would be the typical uninspiring Spurs acquisition. He looks the part and is a big, non liability sort, he's just not dynamic enough in any one area offensively to give up what it'd take to get him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with those Clippers was that CP3 was their best player. Griffin was an All-Star and DeAndre Jordan was a great lob finisher, but neither of them are anywhere close to what Victor will be soon or even is now.

Last year Trae Young was the best lob passer in the game by a country mile, according to BBall Index's stats.

That alone could make his salary worthwhile. He also hits pullup threes at 37.2% this season, not Wemby level (39.7%) but certainly good enough to generate gravity at the arc. Especially on such a high volume (6.7 pullup 3PA per game, insanity).

On the offensive end it's hard to imagine a better skill fit with Wemby than Young, at least among players that are reasonably likely to be available.
    Making good lob passes doesn’t equal success. Don’t accept the tweet’s premise blindly. Just ask Harden, CP3.

Trae Young will think he’s “the guy” if he comes here. He’s not. It will piss VW off over time unless Trae is willing to adapt. I have doubts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but this is hillarious.
    As if either of us has any say in the actual decision making.

I find it odd that I apparently have to explain the English language to you.

You advocated for Naz Reid. I expressed doubt. (You may recall.) I then took a further look and decided I agreed with you.

You wanted him. I decided I wanted him, too. Thus, “we” wanted him. You+I=we.

What did you imagine I meant?

The reason I want him is that he's the best possible fit in the league out of any PF that's not an all-star.

He might be. I have not surveyed the entire field of possibilities. And neither have you.

Except, now you’re turning away from Naz because he’s popular with Minny fans. And this is a deciding factor.

Of course everyone here knows how overwhelmingly influential a few outspoken fans on a message board are, in controlling the behavior of their favorite franchise.

You have got to be kidding.

… Wouldn't surprise me if he's open to taking a tream-friendly deal. They look like the real deal, as long as Edwards is there.

And the Spurs do not look like the real deal, for the future, with Wemby. You say.

Looking at their roster, that KAT contract is a franchise killer. …

Oh dear, I was blissfully unaware that the T-Wolves franchise had passed away. Sad news.

Or is this only a great exaggeration, like the case of Mark Twain? If so, tsk tsk at you.

Myself, I’m more inclined to conclude that only the T-Wolves ownership is qualified to pass judgement on whether any malady their franchise may be suffering is terminal. Best leave the verdict to them.

And blah blah as you remake the Minny roster to suit yourself. I can’t find the motivation to take that seriously enough to reply in any detail.

Then you start playing with the trade machine and work out a three team deal. But why stop there? Go for it. Work out a colossal, record-setting 14 team deal in which you replace the entire Spurs roster, outside of Wemby, in one fell swoop. I’m not against that, I’d love to see it.

I'm talking absolute nonsense here, …

I hadn’t noticed.

… that would maybe be realistic for Timberwolves to improve …

What the freak is wrong with your head? Piss on the piddly Timberwolves improving. Piss on them every hour on the hour, so they can set their clocks accurately by when we piss on them.

We are Spurs fans. We do not want the T-Wolves to improve. Because we want to beat them.

You have lost your way.

The more I think about it, the more I'm lost at finding a team that would give up solid assets for Devin. …

Then don’t think so much.

Thread Information