Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1661
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    … There at times where Wemby gets literally quintuple teamed on offense. Trae would KILL for another player that gets that level of attention, nobody is scared of Dejounte shooting threes.

They should be, scared of DJM shooting 3s that is. He’s at .368 for the year, on 6.8 attempts per game, and he just went 7 for 9 in a win over Charlotte. Compare to Vassell’s .375 on 6.4 attempts. Not that Vassell is really very scary. But that’s incidental to this discussion.

LeBowen I really liked your breakdown but I don't see us getting Naz Reid esp since he's a huge part of a top seed in the west this year and the Timberpups are gonna be looking to continue to contend as Ant develops.
    BRING TRAE HOME!

The T-Wolves might like to keep their team together, but they have a salary problem under the CBA. They’re on course to have the highest salary in the league - even higher than the Warriors or Clippers - and go heavily into the luxury tax. The T-Wolves don’t have the revenue generating power of the Warriors, following the Warriors’ dominance with Curry & company. Nor do they have a moneybags owner like the Clippers have in Ballmer.

Then, altho the T-Wolves have an excellent team, they are not the favorites, and the compe ion at the top looks strong. So the question becomes, are the T-Wolves okay with going heavily into the luxury tax for a dark horse team? They’re the only ones who can answer that question for sure, but it’s something an outsider can wonder about.

This is why people are thinking they might trade Reid, and why there’s occasional speculation about them trading KAT. Money. The luxury tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae stays with the Hawks -> those picks are in the late lottery, maybe we get one top10 pick.
    Trae is traded somewhere else -> Hawks have no incentive to tank because they don't own their picks, no chance for those picks to be in top5.
    Trae is traded with the Spurs -> Hawks can tank.

Trading for Trae has obvious risks and could backfire, but it's way safer than Brian Wright picking in 8-15 range.
    That’s where they are now, and where they were when he went under the knife. He has two years left before his opt out, which he will use. If he walks,they get nothing for him. If he demands a trade next (2025) summer, they get very little. Both of those benefit the Spurs, as they will obviously suck and be worse than a 9-10 team without him, making at least the 2027 pick solid gold, and the 2026 swap the same if he forces his way out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s where they are now, and where they were when he went under the knife. He has two years left before his opt out, which he will use. If he walks,they get nothing for him. If he demands a trade next (2025) summer, they get very little. Both of those benefit the Spurs, as they will obviously suck and be worse than a 9-10 team without him, making at least the 2027 pick solid gold, and the 2026 swap the same if he forces his way out.
    Fair point, but they're in the East and with no incentive to tank, those picks won't ever be in top5.
    Brooklyn being the best example. Rockets own their picks and therefore they won't ever tank.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curious if anyone has the stomach to trade Devin for Young? This has always been the theoretical line I've NOT been willing to cross. But I'm bored and its raining outside so I'll do it. ATL wants Devin plus all their picks/swaps back; Spurs say no. They meet in the middle.

The deal is Devin plus ATL '25 and '27 for Young, but those ATL picks turn into swaps that the Spurs control. So the Spurs will have swap rights 3 straight years with ATL, still giving them 2 theoretical bites each year at the Flag/Boozer apples. Any takers?

Curious if you see Devin as this foundational piece, a perfect #3 on a championship team? or maybe instead he's just a soon to be overpriced chucker and very expendable.
    Vassell should be included in any deal- he is not worth keeping

and his knee will implode any day now if you watch the games you will see him land awkwardly and limp back to the other side of the court

after a few minutes he appears ok - but the next awkward landing - the same thing happens

plus he never learned how to make a simple pass - much less an accurate lob

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae stays with the Hawks -> those picks are in the late lottery, maybe we get one top10 pick.
    Trae is traded somewhere else -> Hawks have no incentive to tank because they don't own their picks, no chance for those picks to be in top5.

Trading for Trae has obvious risks and could backfire, but it's way safer than Brian Wright picking in 8-15 range.
    The best case scenario is they trade Trae to another team that is NOT the Spurs for picks. For example, to Houston for all the Brooklyn picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not sure about the BWright stuff. I think this off-season is where he will be truly put to the fire and it's sink or swim time.

That said, agree with the rest of your post. People don't want two max players for ... "reasons." Like Wemby won't be 23 should he decide to leave, but with all of the a en playing with a great passer and scorer will bring. We'll at least have a baseline for us to ground our expectations, including with Wemby and how he gets along with someone who's an All-star. And it is possible Trae Young takes less than the max. Nothing is done until it's done. I say gamble because it's clear we need an infusion of "NOW" talent on this roster. Give these guys like Sochan a real chance to develop instead of forcing them into positions where they can only be reasonably expected to fail.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hadn't really looked at Tre Jones's splits as a starter and bench player, but they are much starker than I had thought.

Tre is shooting 41.3% on 2.5 3PA per game as a starter. His 3 point rate is only 31.6% so he's still a somewhat low volume 3 point shooter, but that kind of accuracy is more than adequate.

He also has a TS% of 65.7 which is sterling for a PG. Again this is tempered by his low usage rate, it's not like he really has a path to being a high usage efficient star, but as a 4th or 5th option that's exactly what you want.

I have been on the trade for Trae train (try saying that three times fast) for a while, but if Jones keeps improving he will be too good to just play 16 MPG off the bench behind Young and they really can't share the floor together. I'm now thinking that the forward positions are a better use of the Spurs' draft capital in order to improve the starting lineup, of course depending on availability and price. Bridges or Markkanen would be ideal but each would likely cost an arm and both legs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it goes south with Trae, you waste Wemby’s entire 20s decade. There’s no recovering from that, and no chance to ever get picks like those again.
    If nothing else, young will put up stats with Wemby right? If it doesn’t work out some team will still trade for him in two to three years I would assume…the haul may be pretty decent being Trae would still be in his prime! Draft and start grooming your future pg guard behind him now ( topic, dilly, whomever ); it gives you a chance to win now and into the future as well as energize the fanbase! Attendance would go up exponentially.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre is shooting 41.3% on 2.5 3PA per game as a starter. His 3 point rate is only 31.6% so he's still a somewhat low volume 3 point shooter, but that kind of accuracy is more than adequate.

He also has a TS% of 65.7 which is sterling for a PG. Again this is tempered by his low usage rate, it's not like he really has a path to being a high usage efficient star, but as a 4th or 5th option that's exactly what you want.

I have been on the trade for Trae train (try saying that three times fast) for a while, but if Jones keeps improving he will be too good to just play 16 MPG off the bench behind Young and they really can't share the floor together.
    https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/tre-jones-shot-chart

While those numbers look great, most of his makes, especially recently are corner 3s.
    Better than nothing, but if we had a legit triple threat who could pull up from the top of the key, Wemby would become unguardable.
    Tre is more or less always dared to shoot and he's in low 30s. Unacceptable for a starter.

While I'm probably the biggest Lebron hater in here, his 2 points aren't 2 points is one of the best things an NBA player has ever said.
    Teams are happy to give up open shots to poor shooters.
    For example, credit where it's due because DJ really improved his range, but even though his percentages are close to Trae's, you look at the shots they take and it's obvious who's leagues above as a shooter.
    If an elite shooter had the shots DJ takes, they'd easily be at 45%+ from deep.

Regardless of Trae situation, Tre isn't good enough to start on a serious team. He's smart, but his skillset is is just lacking.

I'm now thinking that the forward positions are a better use of the Spurs' draft capital in order to improve the starting lineup, of course depending on availability and price. Bridges or Markkanen would be ideal but each would likely cost an arm and both legs.
    That's why I keep suggesting players who won't cost an arm and a leg and why I never mentioned Markkanen.
    Timberwolves are completely ed and over the cap even if they get rid of KAT's massive contract, hence my Naz Reid suggestion.

Pelicans are also in a need of retooling with their unbalanced roster and having Ingram/Herb/Murphy for one position is a crowd.
    If either Herb or Murphy become available, Spurs should prioritize it.

None of them would cost an arm and a leg and all are on team friendly deals. I don't want anyone making close to 30M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hadn't really looked at Tre Jones's splits as a starter and bench player, but they are much starker than I had thought.

I have been on the trade for Trae train (try saying that three times fast) for a while, but if Jones keeps improving he will be too good to just play 16 MPG off the bench behind Young and they really can't share the floor together. I'm now thinking that the forward positions are a better use of the Spurs' draft capital in order to improve the starting lineup, of course depending on availability and price. Bridges or Markkanen would be ideal but each would likely cost an arm and both legs.
    there's also a difference between being able to hit an open 3 when the D collapses and the ball gets kicked out to you, vs the persistent threat of taking and making pull-up 3's that bend the defense toward you

the former is kind of a bare minimum that you want. the latter is what stresses the defense to a breaking point with wemby rolling to the rim

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I second this big time. I feel like Devin is fool’s gold. He flashes good stuff consistently enough to think he could be it… but it’s all just fools gold. I’d rather someone else take the bait while we reap the rewards. Realizing that Devin has pretty much never made the big clutch play is what sealed it for me. We moved on from DJM because we didn’t feel like he was the star we needed, but he at least made some big time plays in the clutch from time to time. , even Keldon has. I can’t think of a single time Devin has hit that game tying/winning shot or big defensive stop.

And if there are some examples… I’d love to be wrong. I don’t count throwing a few lobs to Wemby early in OT as “big time clutch plays”
    Lately, per game, I'll see Devin throw a nice lob, or pull a flashy pass out of his ass and everyone is so god damn excited or impressed. Even Victor is wide eyed on occasion. But to me, I'm thinking why does this have to be so labored, why aren't we doing this like a dozen times per game? I like this Fools Gold comparison, and it sounds like many on this board are perfectly fine with another team taking the bait. I guess you can count me as one of them now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If nothing else, young will put up stats with Wemby right? If it doesn’t work out some team will still trade for him in two to three years I would assume…the haul may be pretty decent being Trae would still be in his prime! Draft and start grooming your future pg guard behind him now ( topic, dilly, whomever ); it gives you a chance to win now and into the future as well as energize the fanbase! Attendance would go up exponentially.
    He is making too much on that third deal which should start in 2 years. Look at the teams who traded hauls for a star that did not work out. HOU was sent to 4 year tank without control of their picks moving forward. BKN was sent to the stone age. DAL was set back 4 years and had to dig themself out with even more picks. Wemby is as good as gone if that happens, that is why every GM wants a long rebuild.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 03-25-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/tre-jones-shot-chart

While those numbers look great, most of his makes, especially recently are corner 3s.
    Better than nothing, but if we had a legit triple threat who could pull up from the top of the key, Wemby would become unguardable.
    Tre is more or less always dared to shoot and he's in low 30s. Unacceptable for a starter.

While I'm probably the biggest Lebron hater in here, his 2 points aren't 2 points is one of the best things an NBA player has ever said.
    Teams are happy to give up open shots to poor shooters.
    For example, credit where it's due because DJ really improved his range, but even though his percentages are close to Trae's, you look at the shots they take and it's obvious who's leagues above as a shooter.
    If an elite shooter had the shots DJ takes, they'd easily be at 45%+ from deep.

Regardless of Trae situation, Tre isn't good enough to start on a serious team. He's smart, but his skillset is is just lacking.

• The low 30s is Jones's 3 point attempt rate. As a starter he's making 41.3% of his three point attempts.
    • In his last 37 games, i.e. since he entered the starting lineup, his 3 point attempts are more or less evenly distributed around the arc. 40 shots from the corners, 50 from elsewhere. I'm not sure why it adds up to 90 and not 92. https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/tre...-last-37-games
    • I fully agree that Young would have way more gravity than Jones. Young is also a far better lob passer. In a vacuum I take Young over Jones 100 times out of 100, but if you factor in acquisition cost and salary I think going after a SF upgrade could easily yield more bang for the buck. Champagnie is a third string caliber player while Jones is a borderline starting quality player.
    • I don't think the Spurs will be a serious team while Jones is on his current contract. Just getting to the playoffs next year and maybe pushing for HCA in round 1 the following year is about as much as can be expected imo.

Timberwolves are completely ed and over the cap even if they get rid of KAT's massive contract, hence my Naz Reid suggestion.

Pelicans are also in a need of retooling with their unbalanced roster and having Ingram/Herb/Murphy for one position is a crowd.
    If either Herb or Murphy become available, Spurs should prioritize it.

None of them would cost an arm and a leg and all are on team friendly deals. I don't want anyone making close to 30M.
    So you think the Spurs can get all 3 of Young, Reid, and Herb/Murphy? I would be all for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is making too much on that third deal which should start in 2 years. Look at the teams who traded hauls for a star that did not work out. HOU was sent to 4 year tank without control of their picks moving forward. BKN was sent to the stone age. DAL was set back 4 years and had to dig themself out with even more picks. Wemby is as good as gone if that happens, that is why every GM wants a long rebuild.
    That is also why some here don’t want Trae. Other than Harden, nonoe of those players have the flags that Trae does, and those trades STILL didn’t work out. Durant is the second best player this millennium behind Bron, he’s with two other stars, and they’re a bottom half playoff team who could easily slip 1/2 game into the play in. You can’t just smash talent together and have it work every time, or even most times.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    • The low 30s is Jones's 3 point attempt rate. As a starter he's making 41.3% of his three point attempts.
    • In his last 37 games, i.e. since he entered the starting lineup, his 3 point attempts are more or less evenly distributed around the arc. 40 shots from the corners, 50 from elsewhere. I'm not sure why it adds up to 90 and not 92. https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/tre...-last-37-games
    While he's obviously working hard on his shot, it's too early to say if he's just on a hot shooting streak.
    Almost 50% of his shots coming from corners increases his percentage. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the corners, I'm just saying that his 41% isn't even close to being actual 41%.
    Almost all of his shots are uncontested. We need a point guard defenders will have to chase over screens, not someone they'll dare to shoot.
    He's decent enough to stay for a couple more years, but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to start.

So you think the Spurs can get all 3 of Young, Reid, and Herb/Murphy? I would be all for that.
    I explained it earlier.
    We'll have ~24M in cap space after we don't guarantee Devonte's contract for the next season.
    Keldon will make 19M, Collins 16.7M and Devin 29.3M. That's 65M for three of them.
    89M in cap space if we get rid of all three. I personally think Keldon and Collins need to go no matter what.

I'm open to all possibilities when it comes to PG situation, but I think Spurs should be desperate to get two serious wings this season because our wing rotation is easily the worst in the league.
    Naz as the first priority and then one of Herb/Murphy/Bridges/Cameron/Okoro in that order of priority. Grayson Allen as a free agency trade target if needed.

Devin would have to go if we get Trae, imo. Can stay if we decide for a more conservative PG solution, which will probably happen.
    But we desperately need some wings.

Difference being that those teams you mentioned blew their entire loads and were left with no assets.
    If Spurs hypothetically give Hawks their picks back for Trae, we'd still have 6 FRPs in 4 years, including all of our own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While he's obviously working hard on his shot, it's too early to say if he's just on a hot shooting streak.
    Almost 50% of his shots coming from corners increases his percentage. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the corners, I'm just saying that his 41% isn't even close to being actual 41%.
    Almost all of his shots are uncontested. We need a point guard defenders will have to chase over screens, not someone they'll dare to shoot.
    He's decent enough to stay for a couple more years, but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to start.

I explained it earlier.
    We'll have ~24M in cap space after we don't guarantee Devonte's contract for the next season.
    Keldon will make 19M, Collins 16.7M and Devin 29.3M. That's 65M for three of them.
    89M in cap space if we get rid of all three. I personally think Keldon and Collins need to go no matter what.

I'm open to all possibilities when it comes to PG situation, but I think Spurs should be desperate to get two serious wings this season because our wing rotation is easily the worst in the league.
    Naz as the first priority and then one of Herb/Murphy/Bridges/Cameron/Okoro in that order of priority. Grayson Allen as a free agency trade target if needed.

Devin would have to go if we get Trae, imo. Can stay if we decide for a more conservative PG solution, which will probably happen.
    But we desperately need some wings.

Difference being that those teams you mentioned blew their entire loads and were left with no assets.
    If Spurs hypothetically give Hawks their picks back for Trae, we'd still have 6 FRPs in 4 years, including all of our own.
    Our own picks will be crap in like 2 years, and mid after this year.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah I'll take Trae over three picks like Vassell + Primo + Sochan. Deal needs to get done. Though if the Hawks trade Trae elsewhere it would be a tank only benefiting the Spurs, which is why they won't do it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how many lottery picks do you need to make a decent team?
    We have a GOAT-potential player in the making.
    We have 9th, 11th and will add another top5 pick this year. Maybe even an extra top10 pick depending on how Raptors lottery goes.
    Next year we'll most definitely add another late lottery pick with our own selection. Then we'll potentially have Hawks/Raptors/Chicago depending on how things develop this and the next year.

At some point it becomes irrelevant how many picks you have, it's about competence of the front office.
    For like a decade we managed to keep contending and improving our roster with scraps in the draft and right now not even five lottery picks are enough?
    How did PATFO go from being impeccable at drafting to not even five lottery picks being enough?
    We're really close to flatlining as a franchise if we fail to be in the play-in running the next season. Losing takes toll on everyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think the 2025 pick is going to be mid for a team on pace to win 17 games this season? The Spurs have maybe $20 to $25 million in capspace and this draft looks to be only for role players, so I don't see how this team is 25 wins better next season short of making a trade for Trae. Even adding 25 wins the pick is still late lottery most likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't get Stay the Course when the course has been an utter disaster. Pissed away the season for a 14% chance at drafting a guy who might end up Nicolas Batum if things go right for him. The fact that Pop loved this team last year and expected them to be able to start winning this year tells me the game has long passed him by too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'll take Trae over three picks like Vassell + Primo + Sochan. Deal needs to get done. Though if the Hawks trade Trae elsewhere it would be a tank only benefiting the Spurs, which is why they won't do it.
    They have to do something, or get raped in 2025, or get nothing if he walks in 2026. They’re on the clock, not us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the wolves faceplanted this season i think a Trae/Kat type deal could have been explored but with minnesota looking much better this year, that kind of out no longer exists

dont really see any other "star for star" type deals that the hawks could conceivably make to move young and not go into tank mode.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think the 2025 pick is going to be mid for a team on pace to win 17 games this season? The Spurs have maybe $20 to $25 million in capspace and this draft looks to be only for role players, so I don't see how this team is 25 wins better next season short of making a trade for Trae. Even adding 25 wins the pick is still late lottery most likely.
    buzelis and malik monk aren't going to add 25 wins?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My dream would be Trea and Lauri this off season. The Spurs have the draft capitol and cap space to make it happen. People will point out that Lauri could leave after next season but the Spurs would hold his Bird Rights so in order to leave he would have to leave behind Wemby and Trea plus 10's of millions of dollars.

I like the Spurs chances of keeping him. No way do you leave that kind of money and opportunity on the table plus Lauri doesn't seem like a big market guy at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have to do something, or get raped in 2025, or get nothing if he walks in 2026. They’re on the clock, not us.
    We're very much on the clock as a 15 win team on pace to win maybe two more the rest of the season while having the modern day Bill Russell on it. This roster is a dumpster fire in need of an almost complete purge and Wemby's not going to put up with it if this team enters 2027 without a good core around him. Maybe earlier if the team keeps drafting Primos and Sochans.

Thread Information