Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1661
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its a likely lottery pick if Young is off the Hawks. if we just decline to make a trade and young stays with the hawks, its not very likely that their picks are anything exceptional

the hawks havent missed the playoff since young began his 3rd nba season. they may miss it this year, to be fair
    Young was on the Hawks this year, and they’re in the lottery. Definitely on the down trend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae keeps saying he only cares about is winning... DeJounte said the same thing right before he was traded... Its the political way of saying if i don't win where i'm at i'm going to try to win somewhere else without making it personal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nothing like blowing your best draft capital and cap space on a guy who's team plays better when hes not around.

seems like a great move.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Johnson sprained his ankle, Kobe Buffkin messed up his toe and is in a walking boot, that team is falling apart

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nothing like blowing your best draft capital and cap space on a guy who's team plays better when hes not around.

seems like a great move.
    At relying on small sample size theater to push this cliche, agenda driven NBA take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing to keep in mind about the Spurs not trading the draft picks, is the fact that it takes many times to hit the right player. Despite what some posters here think, no FO hits 100%, most don't even hit 20%. If the Spurs can get, 1 maybe 2 good championship level players out of the draft, and maybe another few who can be rotational players, that would be a template for success.

Check OKC, who people praise to no end about their drafting. First consider that they started off with way more assets to trade away than the Spurs, due to the fact they had to blow up a roster with 3 future MVPs and Serge Ibaka, all highly tradeable players who can net them a war chest, vs. the Spurs who essentially got undercut by nephew.

Durant nets them nothing
    Harden got them Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, two 1sts and a 2nd round pick (eventually became Adams, and some fodder, I think).
    Westbrook got them Chris Paul and 4 1st round picks.
    Serge Ibaka became Sabonis and Oladipo, who later became Paul George, who then became Shai and bunch of picks.

Since 2015:

2015 - Cameron Payne (could've been Kelly Oubre Jr, Terry Rozier, Bobby Portis, Tyus Jones, Larry Nance Jr, Montrezl Harrell, Norman Powell).
    2016 - Domantas Sabonis - great pick, but lost him for nothing, I think. Only one after him better is arguably Pascal Siakim.
    2017 - Terrance Ferguson (could've been Jarret Allen, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma, Derrick White, Josh Hart), Daniel Hamilton, Dakari Johnson.
    2018 - all 2nd round picks, not that great.
    2019 - Brandon Clarke, but traded to Memphis for 2024 2nd round pick, which became Darius Bazley
    2020 - Aleksej Pokusevski - just cut. Could've been Quickley (whom the Thunder actually drafted and traded for Aleksej), Saddiq Bey, Tyrese Maxey, Payton Pritchard, Desmond Bane, Xavier Tillman, Tre Jones.
    2021 - Josh Giddey - decent pick, but could've been Kuminga, Wagner, Joshua Primo, Alperen (who was drafted by OKC and ed away for 2022 and 2023 1st round picks), Trey Murphy III.
    2021 - Tre Mann - could've been Jalen Johnson, Cam Thomas, Herb Jones.
    2022 - Chet Holmgren (no brainer)
    2022 - Ousmane Dieng - Could've been Jalen Williams (who they drafted next), Jalen Duran, Mark Williams, Tari Eason, Walker Kessler, Nikola Jovic, Nembhard, Jaden Hardy.
    2022 - Jalen Wililams - out of the park, best possible player
    2023 - Cason Wallace - looking good so far, but also could have been Dereck Lively (whom they drafted and traded for Wallace), Gradey , Keyonte George, Jaime Jaquez, Cam Whitmore, or GG Jackson.

Of these dozen or so 1st round picks, I would say 1 is a no brainer (Chet), 1 was out of the park good (J Williams), and 1 was great, but ultimately didn't really got them far (Sabonis).

This is the rebuild that got OKC here, and Presti was roundly criticized over the years for trading for trading's sake, until he landed no Shai, because he started with 3 MVP level player and one all star (ironically it was Ibaka who somehow resulted in Shai). Yes, Spurs are bad now, but they basically had nephew undermine them and took out even a chance for them to recoup much of value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing to keep in mind about the Spurs not trading the draft picks, is the fact that it takes many times to hit the right player. Despite what some posters here think, no FO hits 100%, most don't even hit 20%. If the Spurs can get, 1 maybe 2 good championship level players out of the draft, and maybe another few who can be rotational players, that would be a template for success.

Check OKC, who people praise to no end about their drafting. First consider that they started off with way more assets to trade away than the Spurs, due to the fact they had to blow up a roster with 3 future MVPs and Serge Ibaka, all highly tradeable players who can net them a war chest, vs. the Spurs who essentially got undercut by nephew.

Durant nets them nothing
    Harden got them Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, two 1sts and a 2nd round pick (eventually became Adams, and some fodder, I think).
    Serge Ibaka became Sabonis and Oladipo, who later became Paul George, who then became Shai and bunch of picks.

Since 2015:

2015 - Cameron Payne (could've been Kelly Oubre Jr, Terry Rozier, Bobby Portis, Tyus Jones, Larry Nance Jr, Montrezl Harrell, Norman Powell).
    2016 - Domantas Sabonis - great pick, but lost him for nothing, I think. Only one after him better is arguably Pascal Siakim.
    2017 - Terrance Ferguson (could've been Jarret Allen, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma, Derrick White, Josh Hart), Daniel Hamilton, Dakari Johnson.
    2019 - Brandon Clarke, but traded to Memphis for 2024 2nd round pick, which became Darius Bazley
    2020 - Aleksej Pokusevski - just cut. Could've been Quickley (whom the Thunder actually drafted and traded for Aleksej), Saddiq Bey, Tyrese Maxey, Payton Pritchard, Desmond Bane, Xavier Tillman, Tre Jones.
    2021 - Josh Giddey - decent pick, but could've been Kuminga, Wagner, Joshua Primo, Alperen (who was drafted by OKC and ed away for 2022 and 2023 1st round picks), Trey Murphy III.
    2022 - Ousmane Dieng - Could've been Jalen Williams (who they drafted next), Jalen Duran, Mark Williams, Tari Eason, Walker Kessler, Nikola Jovic, Nembhard, Jaden Hardy.
    2023 - Cason Wallace - looking good so far, but also could have been Dereck Lively (whom they drafted and traded for Wallace), Gradey , Keyonte George, Jaime Jaquez, Cam Whitmore, or GG Jackson.

Of these dozen or so 1st round picks, I would say 1 is a no brainer (Chet), 1 was out of the park good (J Williams), and 1 was great, but ultimately didn't really got them far (Sabonis).

This is the rebuild that got OKC here, and Presti was roundly criticized over the years for trading for trading's sake, until he landed no Shai, because he started with 3 MVP level player and one all star (ironically it was Ibaka who somehow resulted in Shai). Yes, Spurs are bad now, but they basically had nephew undermine them and took out even a chance for them to recoup much of value.
    sabonis was part of their trade for paul george who was then flipped for SGA and a boatload of picks

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bro wut

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stole the words right out of my mouth, I almost choked with my coffee reading that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sabonis was part of their trade for paul george who was then flipped for SGA and a boatload of picks
    Thanks, I thought he was lost in free agency for some reason. Makes a lot of sense how they were able to get that load with just Ibaka then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks want this trade more than the Spurs. That is why they were squawking all the way to the deadline. The reports were that the Spurs were after Murray and they had reporters asking him what he thought of SA. He spoke fondly of his time.

Hawks are circling the compe ive drain steady since making the ECF. No trade: they are in the lottery with no pick.

The writing is on the wall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks want this trade more than the Spurs. That is why they were squawking all the way to the deadline. The reports were that the Spurs were after Murray and they had reporters asking him what he thought of SA. He spoke fondly of his time.

Hawks are circling the compe ive drain steady since making the ECF. No trade: they are in the lottery with no pick.

The writing is on the wall.
    I've been saying this, too.

I don't think there's interest in Young. He's not a winning player and his reputation is really bad. Atlanta really wants to get rid of him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying this, too.

I don't think there's interest in Young. He's not a winning player and his reputation is really bad. Atlanta really wants to get rid of him.
    I think this is spot on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Durant nets them nothing

Since 2015:

It’s a good point. OKC gets a lot of love for their trades (which is fair), but the jury is out on their actual drafting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't realize Sabonis was a Thunder for a year. It's astounding how much talent has gone through that franchise and they still don't have a ring.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's almost like this is mostly based on luck . . . I know, let's base the near future of a GOAT caliber prospect on it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ATL has held their opponents to below or at 100 in the last 7 games since Trae went down. Small sampe size? or is ATL a top 5 defense without him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ATL has held their opponents to below or at 100 in the last 7 games since Trae went down. Small sampe size? or is ATL a top 5 defense without him.
    They are also 5 wins from 7; whereas with Trae they went 24 from 56...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae works here for the right price and if he is a cancer you trade him to someone else for assets. Do it before you start paying Victor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again with the small sample size theater to push an agenda.

Naturally their defense would be better without him but this is an offense first league and whatever they gain on defense they'll more than lose on offense in the long run without him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't let Wright waste those picks on Primos with obvious locks like Sengun on the board. Trade those picks for Trae before Wright screws it all up
    Anyone who thinks Wright is making these picks in a vacuum is delusional. The Spurs develop their board as a group effort. Wright didn’t take Primo or Vassel or Sochan it was a group think decision that he was tasked with executing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks Wright is making these picks in a vacuum is delusional. The Spurs develop their board as a group effort. Wright didn’t take Primo or Vassel or Sochan it was a group think decision that he was tasked with executing.

He can take the le and take the cash, he can take the blame

If he doesn't have any input or power or responsibility, he has the best job ever with nice seats

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If he doesn't have any input or power or responsibility, he has the best job ever with nice seats
    I never said he didn’t have input, but so do other people. Do you think if Pop and RC weren’t on board that he would have chosen any of his picks? I guarantee you Pop’s fingerprints are all over every pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Brother, let go of the hate! I’m sure he hasn’t learned anything from two of the best in the business ( Rc / Pop )…..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was kind of lost in the shuffle. PATFO sits down and does an entire 60 player draft board. It IS, in fact, a team effort, and when their pick comes on the clock, they draft the highest remaining player on their board.

Thread Information