Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's work under the contention that Wemby has maybe 10 good years before those long ass muscles and tendons start to break down. Get the man some help this summer. Not sure Pops 10 year plan of praying for another Manu or Kawhi to show up in the draft is going to work out.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spursraider was responding to Chinook saying we should get a legit vet to chaperone the team, not a younger star like Trae. There are no more legit vet than the legitest vetest of them all LeBron
    Lebron would ship everything off for aging veterans to compete. Wemby isn't ready to do that yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Definitely not a future Spur

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hawks got waxed by charlotte

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Inspired by Young’s prolific passing ability” sounds like another “yeah Wemby’s open and that’s an easy lob” wink wink tactic from Trae

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all wanna watch more Tre Jones 3 point bricks or nah?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs about to be 6-15 with Jones starting ... But there's still people who are like "let's stick with Jones!"

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    in b4 the spurs sign eric gordon instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people thinking Young would be a better get than James. Lebron, even with everything, is a much better player than Young will ever be and would not cost trade assets if he serious about opting out to play with his son. Ignoring that there's no reason why James and Young would be mutually exclusive (the Spurs could draft Bronnie, trade for Trae and then sign Lebron), a year or two with a legit championship centerpiece is worth way more than two to five years with a fringe superstar.

When people talk about the new CBA supposedly favoring more balanced rosters rather than superteams, they don't mean that having no superstars is better than having multiple superstars. They mean that not spending the cap whole on two or three players may allow for an overall more even team. Trading for a guy on a Rose-max in hopes he's still on the team when Wemby gets his own Rose-max deal and/or when the Spurs make a trade for a third max contract than taking the superstar with multiple rings right in front of you. Trae being 25 or 26 is among the least important factors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs about to be 6-15 with Jones starting ... But there's still people who are like "let's stick with Jones!"
    I love Tre. He hustles hard, hard worker, takes what the defense (and our sets) give him. He's just not that talented. It's tough, it's a tough world. In a perfect scenario he'd be improving faster and his size/athleticism wouldn't be such large factors. Unfortunately, life is about making lemonade, and he's done about as well as can be expected in terms of his ceiling. I think he could be a slightly better finisher and a slightly better three point shooter, but he'll never be TP in the paint, nor will he ever be a dead eye shooter unless it's as a sub or glue guy. The starter on even a top 6 team seems out of reach, but again, it's not hate. He's done extremely well for what the basketball gods provided him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron isn't coming to the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's work under the contention that Wemby has maybe 10 good years before those long ass muscles and tendons start to break down. Get the man some help this summer. Not sure Pops 10 year plan of praying for another Manu or Kawhi to show up in the draft is going to work out.
    Wemby's career potentially being cut short doesn't mean he's going to be a superstar any faster. All that would mean is that it's critical to hit the window when it opens. The Spurs rushing these moves would expose them to missing the window altogether. Wemby isn't good enough right now. If the Spurs teleported into the playoffs, they'd be swept by anyone else in the bracket. That's not because Victor doesn't have enough help -- although obviously the roster isn't there yet either. It's because he himself isn't ready. Until he's ready, the supporting cast isn't going to do anything but become more expensive. The difference between Wemby and Doncic right now is massive, and Luka himself is probably another level-up to be a championship centerpiece. That's not a talent or potential thing, obviously. It's a time thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hawks got waxed by charlotte

Yeah, DJM and Trae both had a bad game shooting. The Hawks also had injury trouble in the middle, they started Bruno Fernando at center.

But even on a bad night in a lousy game Trae still had 12 assists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until he's ready, the supporting cast isn't going to do anything but become more expensive..
    This is a point people will continue to disagree with. And I know you’ve explained why. Aside from Wemby’s desire to stay with the Spurs being affected (another point you don’t believe in), having a team be more compe ive does not make things worse or do nothing for Wemby. It will be beneficial for his experience to be in in-game situations where the game is actually close. Or, when the games really matter (play-in or playoffs). And I don’t know how you could say he’s so far away. From a championship, sure. Winning a championship or getting to finals require a lot of grit, endurance, and playoff-physical moves. But the player Wemby is now might be rough around the edges but he’s clearly dominant in most of the plays he’s involved in.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, DJM and Trae both had a bad game shooting. The Hawks also had injury trouble in the middle, they started Bruno Fernando at center.

But even on a bad night in a lousy game Trae still had 12 assists.
    he is shooting 42% so bad shooting nights are common, he also had 4 TOs

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there really people who think Tre Jones is the future starting PG for this team? I like him from a BBIQ standpoint but he's a backup at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a point people will continue to disagree with. And I know you’ve explained why. Aside from Wemby’s desire to stay with the Spurs being affected (another point you don’t believe in), having a team be more compe ive does not make things worse or do nothing for Wemby. It will be beneficial for his experience to be in in-game situations where the game is actually close. Or, when the games really matter (play-in or playoffs). And I don’t know how you could say he’s so far away. From a championship, sure. Winning a championship or getting to finals require a lot of grit, endurance, and playoff-physical moves. But the player Wemby is now might be rough around the edges but he’s clearly dominant in most of the plays he’s involved in.
    Man, great point that is just being casually discounted. We aren't going to merely make an instant jump from bottom dweller to championship contender, and we should merely ignore putting a better team around Wemby until he is ready to win a finals MVP. There is a continual building process. Even if you think Wemby won't be "ready" until year 5 - you should spend years 2, 3, and 4 getting him experience in being part of a winning club, being in tough playoff series, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, great point that is just being casually discounted. We aren't going to merely make an instant jump from bottom dweller to championship contender, and we should merely ignore putting a better team around Wemby until he is ready to win a finals MVP. There is a continual building process. Even if you think Wemby won't be "ready" until year 5 - you should spend years 2, 3, and 4 getting him experience in being part of a winning club, being in tough playoff series, etc.
    What’s makes me scratch my head is the “Luka isn’t ready either and needs to level up to win a championship”. I mean damn, if he isn’t ready then who is? I think there are imaginary bars here that are set way too high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe people think that basketball players are like Pokemon... they need to evolve into their final form to be "ready". Luka's final form is fat Charizard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well said.
    Despite their record, OKC will probably get killed in this year's playoffs.
    But that's going to be invaluable experience for them.
    Much like last year was for the Kings.

If we're to contend, we'll need at least a couple of seasons in the playoffs.
    As you said, can't go from 0 to 100 right away.

Another season of lottery would create a losing culture.
    Charlotte didn't make the playoffs since 2016.
    Spurs and Pistons since 2019.
    Everyone else played at least one series the past three years.

This is going to be the fifth year in lottery, that's more than enough.
    No more excuses, Spurs simply have to at least be in the running for play-in from the next season onwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there really people who think Tre Jones is the future starting PG for this team? I like him from a BBIQ standpoint but he's a backup at best.
    i also think some people almost intentionally misrepresent the consensus position on jones

its that he is a backup tier PG, but given that the roster lacks a point guard better than him, he is currently the best starting option we have

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby's career potentially being cut short doesn't mean he's going to be a superstar any faster. All that would mean is that it's critical to hit the window when it opens. The Spurs rushing these moves would expose them to missing the window altogether. Wemby isn't good enough right now. If the Spurs teleported into the playoffs, they'd be swept by anyone else in the bracket. That's not because Victor doesn't have enough help -- although obviously the roster isn't there yet either. It's because he himself isn't ready. Until he's ready, the supporting cast isn't going to do anything but become more expensive. The difference between Wemby and Doncic right now is massive, and Luka himself is probably another level-up to be a championship centerpiece. That's not a talent or potential thing, obviously. It's a time thing.
    Bro...Wemby is doing things tim duncan did his rookie year.And tim won a chip in his second year.Tim had a good team helping him.
    We need to do the same with wemby,We got lucky and drafted wemby...Now lets tak advantage and make moves to get this man help.
    We cant wait 4 or 5 years to develop players like branham and sochan and all wright trash players he drafted.Wemby is ready now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a point anyone is missing. Even someone like Bod or Ex believes in incremental steps. They just believe that will come from their talent growing rather than an outside signing. The recent conversation in this thread has been about what kind of major acquisition would help the team the most. My argument against Young isn't that Wemby's not a fMVP, so the team needs to keep tanking. It's that the team needs to operate under the full understanding that they aren't in a position to win a le with Wemby as their best player. So they either need to bring in a player who can be that guy and let Victor be his co-star, or they need to bring in a co-star who's older and will help develop the culture of the players while being under the full understanding that the Spurs aren't a contender. Young checks neither box -- him being on the team still relies on Victor being the guy for them to win, he doesn't really have much to offer the other players in terms of grit and experience, and he's in the upward swing of his compensation, meaning that in order for him to be a factor when Wemby is actually expected to be that guy, the Spurs will have to be paying him a huge amount while missing out on a number of good draft picks that could've been important contributors/another co-star.

You can do this wrong, which is something Dejounte is completely glossing over in his post. Stars will ask out even if their teams try, and they tend to not take any responsibility for the moves they push their teams to do that don't work out. The Spurs run a higher risk of alienating Wembanyama by botching an acceleration attempt than they do of building too slowly. I think Victor can see himself more clearly than some of the fans can. I think he knows how much higher the bar is for him to reach and isn't under the assumption that him as a 20-year-old should expect instant success, even if as a compe ive person he would like to see it.

What’s makes me scratch my head is the “Luka isn’t ready either and needs to level up to win a championship”. I mean damn, if he isn’t ready then who is? I think there are imaginary bars here that are set way too high.
    Doncic only has the "put the team on his back" mode similar to Harden. He doesn't have the change of pace or adaptability he needs to synergize with his supporting cast. That's a big reason why Dallas has hemorrhaged assets trying to build around him. They made their version of the Young trade for Kristaps and still haven't finished paying off that loan. Their future picks are almost all spoken for and they have basically a gray goo of role-players who are almost completely rely on Doncic and Irving to be individually great simultaneously to really have a ceiling. A lot of folks are talking about Luka being justified to walk away from Dallas, but it wouldn't be because they didn't try to build around him. It would be because they tried to rush things, botched it and then continued to throw assets down the well hoping to come out the other side. Maybe it'll work out, now that Luka is in his sixth year and has had the time people want to believe Wemby doesn't need. It's just a shame his supporting cast is with little way of substantially fixing it any time soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a point anyone is missing. Even someone like Bod or Ex believes in incremental steps. They just believe that will come from their talent growing rather than an outside signing. The recent conversation in this thread has been about what kind of major acquisition would help the team the most. My argument against Young isn't that Wemby's not a fMVP, so the team needs to keep tanking. It's that the team needs to operate under the full understanding that they aren't in a position to win a le with Wemby as their best player. So they either need to bring in a player who can be that guy and let Victor be his co-star, or they need to bring in a co-star who's older and will help develop the culture of the players while being under the full understanding that the Spurs aren't a contender. Young checks neither box -- him being on the team still relies on Victor being the guy for them to win, he doesn't really have much to offer the other players in terms of grit and experience, and he's in the upward swing of his compensation, meaning that in order for him to be a factor when Wemby is actually expected to be that guy, the Spurs will have to be paying him a huge amount while missing out on a number of good draft picks that could've been important contributors/another co-star.

You can do this wrong, which is something Dejounte is completely glossing over in his post. Stars will ask out even if their teams try, and they tend to not take any responsibility for the moves they push their teams to do that don't work out. The Spurs run a higher risk of alienating Wembanyama by botching an acceleration attempt than they do of building too slowly. I think Victor can see himself more clearly than some of the fans can. I think he knows how much higher the bar is for him to reach and isn't under the assumption that him as a 20-year-old should expect instant success, even if as a compe ive person he would like to see it.

Doncic only has the "put the team on his back" mode similar to Harden. He doesn't have the change of pace or adaptability he needs to synergize with his supporting cast. That's a big reason why Dallas has hemorrhaged assets trying to build around him. They made their version of the Young trade for Kristaps and still haven't finished paying off that loan. Their future picks are almost all spoken for and they have basically a gray goo of role-players who are almost completely rely on Doncic and Irving to be individually great simultaneously to really have a ceiling. A lot of folks are talking about Luka being justified to walk away from Dallas, but it wouldn't be because they didn't try to build around him. It would be because they tried to rush things, botched it and then continued to throw assets down the well hoping to come out the other side. Maybe it'll work out, now that Luka is in his sixth year and has had the time people want to believe Wemby doesn't need. It's just a shame his supporting cast is with little way of substantially fixing it any time soon.
    As always, Chinook, good thoughts, though I'm not sure I agree that the Wemby+Trae duo can't be one that grows together along with some veteran grit brought in via additional supporting pieces (a Mario Elie/Jerome Kersey like contributor). You do bring up a valid point in regard to true cash costs that none of us are privy to in regards to ownership's preferences on how much they want to spend on the roster. Trae's price tag in and of itself is not an impediment by roster construction rules but may be from what is acceptable from ownership's bank account.

The only part I take exception with is the bolder portion, which I believe is speculative in nature but doesn't appear supported by Wemby's public statements. None of us here know his true tolerance for a slow build and prolonged losing, but nor do we know if he is impatient to the point of wanting to see progress now. We do know, however, that by Wemby's own criteria (in my signature) that he would consider this season a failure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As always, Chinook, good thoughts, though I'm not sure I agree that the Wemby+Trae duo can't be one that grows together along with some veteran grit brought in via additional supporting pieces (a Mario Elie/Jerome Kersey like contributor). You do bring up a valid point in regard to true cash costs that none of us are privy to in regards to ownership's preferences on how much they want to spend on the roster. Trae's price tag in and of itself is not an impediment by roster construction rules but may be from what is acceptable from ownership's bank account.

The only part I take exception with is the bolder portion, which I believe is speculative in nature but doesn't appear supported by Wemby's public statements. None of us here know his true tolerance for a slow build and prolonged losing, but nor do we know if he is impatient to the point of wanting to see progress now. We do know, however, that by Wemby's own criteria (in my signature) that he would consider this season a failure.
    You're making an assumption that slow building means fewer wins than a Young acquisition. As I mentioned in that post, stars will leave teams who try to keep them if their attempts fail. That is much more common than a player leaving a situation where the team was internally improving and the player lost patience. Maybe Deron Williams is an example of a player who was getting tired of Utah's core. Mitc is sort of similar but had the whole Gobert mess that really soured him on the situation. Yes, you can slow-build badly too by drafting a bunch of busts or projects. But even in that case we're still talking about guys in their second contracts asking out. A team that drafts can always accelerate and go all-in. A team that goes all-in can't go back to a deliberate build-through-the-draft approach, both because they don't have the assets and are possibly too good for whatever assets they have to render high-tier prospects and because those young players won't have the time they need to develop if that process starts during the star's prime.

I daresay that you're more likely to find examples of teams who managed to draft their core en route to becoming a contender than a team that acquired a second star and grew with them into a contender. One might have to pretend like the Bucks getting Middleton as a throw-in to the Jennings/Knight trade would count as similar to a Young trade to find a recent example. Otherwise, I'm looking a Shaq and Kobe as the closest to what I think folks might be hoping a Young trade would be. But Shaq is a GOAT candidate and was already entering his prime. I wouldn't put Trae anywhere near that.

Thread Information