Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be interested in sending out our expiring deals for someone with 1 more year on their deal (from a team who needs the relief) who could be a trade asset in the summer. Not expecting anything more from this deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm expecting the spurs to stand pat at the trade deadline and then after the deadline passes release Graham or McNuggets so they can sign with another team for the playoffs. Both are stupid moves. There is a slight possibility that we get a future 2nd for one of our players, but that's probably it. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see in a few days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way you can get teams to consider trading players that they probably aren't interested in trading and don't have a looming deadline to, is to overpay a la the Spurs with Murray.

The Spurs have the draft equity to do so, especially considering out of the non stars (Mitc and Young), they wouldn't be touching any of their best ones.

Relying on star players to get to free agency in this era is a fool's errand.
    Overpaying rarely works, there's always an opportunity around the corner (Aaron Gordon to Denver, OG to NY, Porzingis and Derrick White to Boston, etc). You just have to be patient and have the assets when it presents itself. Trae's price could go down significantly if things go sour in Atlanta, Washington could make some of their players available (Gafford?), maybe there's a logjam or someone becomes disgruntled, you never know but it happens every season. Teams sense when there's blood in the water and the price goes up, I'd say good examples on how to handle yourself are Leon Rose and Pelinka (especially last year with how many pieces he got for a single pick). Desperation ends in disaster much more often than not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overpaying rarely works, there's always an opportunity around the corner (Aaron Gordon to Denver, OG to NY, Porzingis and Derrick White to Boston, etc). You just have to be patient and have the assets when it presents itself. Trae's price could go down significantly if things go sour in Atlanta, Washington could make some of their players available (Gafford?), maybe there's a logjam or someone becomes disgruntled, you never know but it happens every season. Teams sense when there's blood in the water and the price goes up, I'd say good examples on how to handle yourself are Leon Rose and Pelinka (especially last year with how many pieces he got for a single pick). Desperation ends in disaster much more often than not.
    Those were examples of good teams adding elite role players or a star to play a tertiary role.

This is a unique situation where the most hyped/best prospect in 20 years and maybe ever, with an unprecedented body type/skill set combination, is on a team with the least amount of shot creation I've ever seen and an ample amount of draft capital.

Rely on some raw 19-20 year old rookie(s) in a supposed weak draft and being a dumping ground for unwanted veterans for more draft capital via trade/commensurate signings and have a similar season next year, where he's being cost accolades and they'll be on the fast track to his wanting out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not really for taking back bad salary to get 2nds or late firsts right now. Im open to trading space + picks for actual players. Id prefer to find my star to pair with Wemby if thats on the table. If not, I'd look for useful role players, that raise our floor, on good contracts that let me horde cap/cash space for that future star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not really for taking back bad salary to get 2nds or late firsts right now. Im open to trading space + picks for actual players. Id prefer to find my star to pair with Wemby if thats on the table. If not, I'd look for useful role players, that raise our floor, on good contracts that let me horde cap/cash space for that future star.
    That sounds an awful lot like the Houston ‘late lottery’ plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody goes from 20 wins to 50 wins overnight

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it shouldn't because its not...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody goes from 20 wins to 50 wins overnight
    We’re two years behind OKC. They went from 24 wins and drafting Chet to 40 wins and a play in spot without Chet’s services, and are on track for about 55 this year. Houston raised their floor, and are on track for 38 wins, and the loss of their top 4 protected pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One guy who would be of immense use to the Spurs as a connecting piece towards contention would be Alex Caruso, IMO. If the Spurs can manage to trade for him by giving up the Chicago pick in 2025 (that they got via the Derozan trade), I think they should go for it. It will give Chicago a chance to control their own pick and destiny in 2025 instead of getting protected picks from other contenders and who will be middling/ late picks.

On the Spurs side, it will allow them to get a decent offensive player and an amazing defender, among the top 5 in the league for the last three years or so, and who can cleanly fit into the starting lineup with Jones, Vassell, Wemby & Sochan. Caruso will be a major upgrade over Champagnie, and will spread the floor and can also handle the ball in a pinch as a back-up point guard. In case, the Spurs select Topic next season.. Caruso can be a great mentor as well and a good fit alongside him. It will also be a pick that the Spurs will give up in a year when they are expected to have multiple FRPs (the Spurs' own, the Hawks and most likely, the Raptors' lottery pick) and its a risk that the Spurs can take.

I think the Bulls, if they decide to get out of the mediocrity that they have set themselves in, will be persuaded to go through this path, considering the alternatives they will be getting from the contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumors out saying Spurs called about Tyus Jones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read that too. I don’t even know why, he‘s not really better than Tre. He just shoots the 3 way better than him. Minor upgrade tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d Welcome Tyus At The Right Price

From A Marketing Standpoint, It’s Awesome

From A Leadership Standpoint, It’s Awesome

The Spurs Can Then Focus All Their Resources On Other Positions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyus Jones is a free agent after this season. So... why?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that a team like the Timberwolves, bereft of cap space, can't get his Bird rights.

I'd get it for something like Graham and the Hornets 1st, but it'd be the definition of a half measure.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two back up point guards with the last name Jones does not equal 1 complete point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea I'm confused why we'd want Tre Jones 2.0. Wrights' brilliance at work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs rarely leak intentions…

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading for Tyus is definitely on the list of stupid things to do if you're a braindead gm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are three teams with significant draft capital that could use a point guard: the Magic, Nets, and Spurs. As I wrote last month, San Antonio is uniquely positioned to make a compelling offer since it owns several of Atlanta’s future firsts stemming from the Murray deal. The Spurs aren’t trying to win this season like the Magic and Nets are, but all of these teams could surround Young with the type of talented, lengthy teammates he’s never benefited from in his career. Trae pick-and-rolls with Nic Claxton rolling and Mikal Bridges as an outlet? Sign me up. Trae sprinting through a Paolo Banchero handoff with Wendell Carter spotting up? Beautiful. Trae running two-man actions with Victor Wembanyama for the next decade? What a dream.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2...trade-deadline

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyus Jones is a free agent after this season. So... why?
    He's under contract for next season too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's under contract for next season too
    I believe his $14M contract expires at the end of this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everywhere I can find has him as an UFA this summer.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe his $14M contract expires at the end of this season
    Everywhere I can find has him as an UFA this summer.
    my bad Mr. Body, I read your post wrong and thought you were saying Tre was on his last year. Yeah Tyus is a free agent. I wouldn't mind trading a couple of seconds for him just to get Bird Rights and actually be able to have a PG on the floor 48 minutes a night. I don't think there is anyone better the Spurs can sign this offseason. Of course I like Tre enough (and especially at that salary) that he would have to be ok backing his brother up for me to consider it. Since he was ok backing Sochan and Branham up at PG I'd be surprised if it's too big a deal. Wouldn't give up a first for him though since can just sign him in the summer (unless it's the Charlotte fake first).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when so many wanted Spurs to trade firsts for Quickley just to be forced to pay him in free agency? He’s a solid player, but hes not doing anything to elevate TOR at all and Im very happy with benefit of hindsight SA did not bite on that type of deal.

Spurs can do better than Quickley for the money/picks he did/would have/will commanded.

Thread Information