Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zero chance the Wolves are looking to move Reid imo, he's probably the best backup big in the NBA and a big part of their success
    They have significant tax issues looming and Taylor (owner) has a history of being adverse to paying it, so it's either Towns or Reid.

You could argue the latter is a more economical version, but this is now a (pseudo) championship contender and you need star power for that.

He's also been uncommonly loyal to them and probably (salary, injury history) won't fetch enough to justify it.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    They have significant tax issues looming and Taylor (owner) has a history of being adverse to paying it, so it's either Towns or Reid.

You could argue the latter is a more economical version, but this is now a (pseudo) championship contender and you need star power for that. He's also been uncommonly loyal to them.
    Good point. Seems like KATs injury will hold him out of the playoffs so if they end up going on a deep run without him i wouldn't be surprised if ownership decided to ship towns out instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. Seems like KATs injury will hold him out of the playoffs so if they end up going on a deep run without him i wouldn't be surprised if ownership decided to ship towns out instead
    The problem with a contract that large is that pretty much only large market teams would be interested, and none of them have cap room so they would have to send back equal dollars which doesn’t solve your tax problem.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap for the next season is at $141M, right?
    Even without KAT's ridiculous contract, they'd be just 4M under the cap for the next season...with 9 players on the roster.

And Reid will be on an expiring deal. They can decide to contend with him or get something back, as TD 21 said.
    They probably need to get rid of both because Taylor isn't paying so much luxury tax for a team that can't really compete...unless they surprise us in the next few months.
    Imo, Edwards/Gobert core duo is the way to go forward for them, Conley is also extended for a couple more years.
    McDaniels new deal starts the next season and he's on Ant's timeline.

Anyhow, as I wrote a week or so ago, three team deals with the Nets make sense.
    Spurs send a FRP and maybe some more smaller assets for Reid.
    Wolves get Bridges, Cam Johnson and Cam Thomas, players that are a great fit nex to their core duo. (Maybe DFS instead of Cam Johnson, but you get the point.)
    Nets get KAT and that FRP.

Spurs get a perfect PF next to Wemby for a fair price. I wouldn't even be opposed trading away two bad FRPs.
    Wolves get replacement wings to surround Ant/Gobert and get rid of KAT's deal in the process. Reid can't be extended, got to cut their losses.
    Nets get a hometown kid as a fake franchise player instead of disgruntled fake all-stars and get a FRP. They can't tank and Bridges won't get them anywhere. KAT would at least sell tickets, much like he did for TWolves all these years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap for the next season is at $141M, right?
    Even without KAT's ridiculous contract, they'd be just 4M under the cap for the next season...with 9 players on the roster.

And Reid will be on an expiring deal. They can decide to contend with him or get something back, as TD 21 said.
    They probably need to get rid of both because Taylor isn't paying so much luxury tax for a team that can't really compete...unless they surprise us in the next few months.
    Imo, Edwards/Gobert core duo is the way to go forward for them, Conley is also extended for a couple more years.
    McDaniels new deal starts the next season and he's on Ant's timeline.

Anyhow, as I wrote a week or so ago, three team deals with the Nets make sense.
    Spurs send a FRP and maybe some more smaller assets for Reid.
    Wolves get Bridges, Cam Johnson and Cam Thomas, players that are a great fit nex to their core duo. (Maybe DFS instead of Cam Johnson, but you get the point.)
    Nets get KAT and that FRP.

Spurs get a perfect PF next to Wemby for a fair price. I wouldn't even be opposed trading away two bad FRPs.
    Wolves get replacement wings to surround Ant/Gobert and get rid of KAT's deal in the process. Reid can't be extended, got to cut their losses.
    Nets get a hometown kid as a fake franchise player instead of disgruntled fake all-stars and get a FRP. They can't tank and Bridges won't get them anywhere. KAT would at least sell tickets, much like he did for TWolves all these years.
    Towns isn't selling tickets for the Nets in Knicks country, this would deplete what little depth they have and they wouldn't do Bridges straight up for him considering the difference in value of contract, durability and malleability.

On the contrary, the Nets think their market and Bridges (well liked by various elite players) will attract their next superstar/star which is why he's virtually off limits.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's off limits until he asks for a trade and we know what happens when players ask for trades these days.
    He already lost a lot of value over the season and is clearly unhappy, will turn 28 before the next season and wants to compete..
    Imo, there's no way he's with the Nets when the next season starts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Towns isn't selling tickets for the Nets in Knicks country, this would deplete what little depth they have and they wouldn't do Bridges straight up for him considering the difference in value of contract, durability and malleability.

On the contrary, the Nets think their market and Bridges (well liked by various elite players) will attract their next superstar/star which is why he's virtually off limits.
    His numbers dropped pretty sharply this year, and he’s not going to draw stars. Stars draw regular guys, not the other way around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs get: Donovan Mitc

Cavs get: Gregg Pop, KJ, Vassell, Branham, Tre Jones

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His numbers dropped pretty sharply this year, and he’s not going to draw stars. Stars draw regular guys, not the other way around.
    Tell that to the Nets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tell that to the Nets.
    What I’ll tell the Nets is that they missed their window. They had offers of 3 FRPs last summer, but wanted four. They thought he was a guy to build around, but he’s not, and his value has dropped. They can ask whatever they want, but that doesn’t mean they’ll get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we land torontos pick at 7, we draft Castle & Edey. Then we trade ATL their picks back along with another frp for Trey. Then we have scoring & a floor general in Trey, targuably the best defender with star potential in Castle, and another Center that can hold it down when Wemby rest. We’d be set. We gotta Houston Texans this offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we land torontos pick at 7, we draft Castle & Edey. Then we trade ATL their picks back along with another frp for Trey. Then we have scoring & a floor general in Trey, targuably the best defender with star potential in Castle, and another Center that can hold it down when Wemby rest. We’d be set. We gotta Houston Texans this offseason
    Zach Edey is not getting picked in the top 10, and I’m an Edey guy. I just recognize that he’s a flawed archetype for today’s game, sort of a Boban, without the jump shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is kind of big. Suggests that Taylor views being a tax team as part of being a contender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is kind of big. Suggests that Taylor views being a tax team as part of being a contender.
    For me, I'm curious as to what Taylor thinks about moving Naz? It's a smaller move that would give some relief without moving their max guys...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me, I'm curious as to what Taylor thinks about moving Naz? It's a smaller move that would give some relief without moving their max guys...
    We're all just folks speculating on the internet, but insofar as moving Naz makes the Wolves worse - the idea that Taylor killed the sale because the new owners would cut salary to stay under the tax would indicate that Taylor won't be looking to move Naz. But talk is cheap.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Wolves mortgaging their future for Gobert and then trying to dump their way under the tax would be such a Wolves thing to do.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Wolves mortgaging their future for Gobert and then trying to dump their way under the tax would be such a Wolves thing to do.
    It almost insinuates that they didn't think trading for Rudy would make them that good, and now that they are that good, they are like "well... ...we got to pay for this?"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're all just folks speculating on the internet, but insofar as moving Naz makes the Wolves worse - the idea that Taylor killed the sale because the new owners would cut salary to stay under the tax would indicate that Taylor won't be looking to move Naz. But talk is cheap.
    Taylor has been notoriously cheap too and is probably just using this as an excuse for what appears to be shady behavior on his part.

The proposal from Lore and Rodriguez might have involved trading Towns instead of Reid. Either way, count on one being traded because Reid is a virtual expiring next season and has outgrown his role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taylor has been notoriously cheap too and is probably just using this as an excuse for what appears to be shady behavior on his part.

The proposal from Lore and Rodriguez might have involved trading Towns instead of Reid. Either way, count on one being traded because Reid is a virtual expiring next season and has outgrown his role.
    Yup. The timing is quite suspect, and it's more convenient to present himself as the savior of the team from some hypothetical future harm, rather than an greedy weasel looking to profit from someone else's work.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics just extended Jrue.
    Let's hope for them to fail so we can bring Derrick back because that will be their only move to make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i love Jrue but good god he's going to turn 34 during this year's nba finals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goes to show that this “We MuSt SuRRoUnD WeMby WiTH PlaYeRs wiThIn TWo YeArs oF hIs AGe bEcAusE of ThE tImeLine” is total nonsense. I can’t take anyone who subscribes to that idea seriously. A team can still strategically build around their franchise player without worrying about the ages of the players they want to pursue.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New TV and streaming deal year after next should take a lot of the sting out of that price tag

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goes to show that this “We MuSt SuRRoUnD WeMby WiTH PlaYeRs wiThIn TWo YeArs oF hIs AGe bEcAusE of ThE tImeLine” is total nonsense. I can’t take anyone who subscribes to that idea seriously. A team can still strategically build around their franchise player without worrying about the ages of the players they want to pursue.
    That's kind of disingenuous, I think the most prevalent idea is that you want your top players to be somewhat aligned age wise, so that you have a window of a few years where they're all in their prime, or close enough.

In Boston's case Jrue is 34, but the rest of Boston's core is around 26-29 (Tatum 26, Brown 27, Porzingis 28, White 29), so theoretically you can have at least 2 years with all of them playing at a high level -even if mildly regressing in Jrue's case-, and at least half a decade with 4 of them in their prime.

As for the Spurs, the only problem would be an all in trade for someone who's 10 years Wemby's senior, but if we're talking free agency, a cheap trade, or a complementary piece, I don't think anyone reasonable would have a problem with that, it's mostly the "lets pair Wemby with Lillard" ideas that get balked at.

Thread Information