Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) I do believe a compe ive team would be enough for year 2, and much smaller moves could get you there (say, sign Tyus Jones or trade for Malcom Brogdon, among others). Every season there are opportunities to improve. Take Boston for instance, a lot of their success has to do with them not panicking and making opportunistic trades with great benefit-cost ratio (Derrick White, Porzingis, Jrue, Horford, Brogdon, etc). Same can be said of Denver (Aaron Gordon, KCP, etc). If someone is available sooner and the price is right, go for it, but I would be wary of going the route of Dallas when they drafted Luka and be in a worse place 3 years from now, which is when the Spurs REALLY need to be at their best to sell Wemby on their chances to be a long term contender.
    that's two completely different situations with those two teams and SA... there's no real comparison, if I may.

You're comparing two already compe ive teams with solid rosters lead by 2 stars (Tatum/Brown in Boston, Jokic/Murray in Denver) adding elite role players, which is always easier when you contend, and like SA did in the past, vs. a rebuilding team stuck in the bottom of the NBA with a mediocre to bad roster + an almost ready generational talent...

Boston and Denver didn't panic because they didn't have to, why would they? they're elite of the league, good players want to go there... Now on the other side, you have a team who badly suck for these last two years stuck with a bunch of role players and a coach, bluffing or not, explaining the plan is to keep developing these guys who seem to regress (half of them could be already considered vets or soon (Devin, Keldon, Tre, Zach)) and are losing value as assets every month passing. A team who, besides lucking into Wemby (imagine we get pick #3 and end up with Scoot), didn't draft that well these past 5 years and have that generational talent right there ready to eat the NBA alive...

you shouldn't never panic, but I would say there definitely should be a sense of urgency and awareness. Spurs FO shouldn't imagine they're smarter than the rest of the NBA and should really take they to consider all their options, where they want to go, and the direction they want to take...
    Last edited by JPB; 03-07-2024 at 03:23 AM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Just getting some true vets to cover the basics would help immensely. Then I really do think there wouldn’t be such a sense of urgency.

Trade for Brogdan for three seconds and matching salary. He really is decent and would help immensely.

Trade for Dorian Finney Smith for three seconds and matching salary. Nice bigger wing, with good 3pt shot and good defender.

Do a sign and trade to get a better player than our 20 million cap space will allow. Maybe throw in a 1st and Kelton if necessary. Not sure who. Any thoughts?

Then we save almost all our ammo but we now have three quality vets who will actually help Wemby win games next year!

Also with our pick and Toronto pick, add two good shooters! We want to surround Wemby with three point shooters, so get some good ones!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was recently listening to the Woj podcast, where he was interviewing Charlotte Hornets' new Executive VP of Basketball Operations Jeff Peterson: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000648327846

At the 20:13 mark, he says "sometimes you get a little bit of success and you think that you can skip a step to put your team in a better position in the short term success and ultimately sacrifice what's coming in the long term, so you've got to keep that North Star, you've got to know exactly what you're setting out to do in terms of your ultimate goal, and then anything between that can't jeopardize that long term goal, which for us is going to be sustainable success. I know there is the playoff drought, we don't want to make the playoffs next year and then have another drought for 5, 6, 10 years or whatever it may be, we want to consistently be a winner and a franchise that people are proud of to be associated with so it ultimately is just a reminder that we can't sacrifice the long term for making a move in the short term".

I think this is just the confirmation of what we were all expecting, which is an implicit acknowledgement that Charlotte will be tanking again next year, so the pick owed to the Spurs won't convey in the first round, but rather as 2 seconds in '26 and '27 (not even in '25 itself). Still, those should be good enough second rounders (probably in the late 30s), and though it will likely be valued as that, it has a small premium attached as it still holds a tiny chance they could make the playoffs (through the play in) and also it can still be marketed (by any receiving team to their fans) as a FRP. However, that goes down by the day, so I think it should be used as currency as soon as possible (draft night or shortly after).

Proposals:
    1. Move up the draft: It won't get you a huge jump, but maybe a spot or two if the teams right below are keyed in any given guy, much like Indiana (7th) and Washington (8th) did last year selecting Coulibaly and Jarace Walker respectively, then trading their draft rights for a 2nd round pick. It could also include a small salary dump (by the other team), an extra 2nd round pick, etc. Possible example: the Toronto pick comes out at 9, and the Spurs jump to 7/8 to make sure no one leapfrogs them to get Dillingham (like OKC did with Dallas in order to make sure they got Cason Wallace).
    2. Trade for a veteran player: It may be enough to get a veteran player on a short term contract in a position of need. My favorite target would be Malcom Brogdon. He was traded for a late first round pick from Indiana to Boston, then almost moved again to the Clippers for the 30th pick in the draft (fell apart due to medical concerns). Portland is said to be looking for a FRP but his value was set at a late first when he was younger and not about to enter his last contract year, so realistically his value should be closer to 2/3 SRPs, if you offer them the Charlotte pick they will likely be getting 2 projected early SRPs and at the same time be able to save face by claiming they got a first back. Add another mediocre 2nd if necessary. The Spurs would be getting a high character playmaker and scorer on and off the ball, who can run the offense himself as well as play alongside Tre Jones, or any combination.
    3. Salary dump Zach Collins: Not my favorite use, as it'd be cheaper to do so next year when he becomes an expiring and probably can be used as salary filler outright, but if there's an unforeseen opportunity to be a player in free agency this year, this could be the most fitting trade chip to use for those purposes, likely accompanied by a couple extra 2nds (hopefully not good ones).

All in all, I think these proposals would extract more value from the pick than just letting time run its course.
    Last edited by Ariel; 03-07-2024 at 10:49 AM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Proposals:
    1. Move up the draft: It won't get you a huge jump, but maybe a spot or two if the teams right below are keyed in any given guy, much like Indiana (7th) and Washington (8th) did last year selecting Coulibaly and Jarace Walker respectively, then trading their draft rights for a 2nd round pick. It could also include a small salary dump (by the other team), an extra 2nd round pick, etc. Possible example: the Toronto pick comes out at 9, and the Spurs jump to 7/8 to make sure no one leapfrogs them to get Dillingham (like OKC did with Dallas in order to make sure they got Cason Wallace).
    2. Trade for a veteran player: It may be enough to get a veteran player on a short term contract in a position of need. My favorite target would be Malcom Brogdon. He was traded for a late first round pick from Indiana to Boston, then almost moved again to the Clippers for the 30th pick in the draft (fell apart due to medical concerns). Portland is said to be looking for a FRP but his value was set at a late first when he was younger and not about to enter its last contract year, so realistically his value should be closer to 2/3 SRPs, if you offer them the Charlotte pick they will likely be getting 2 projected early SRPs and at the same time be able to say face by claiming they got a first back. Add another mediocre 2nd if necessary. The Spurs would be getting a high character playmaker and scorer on and off the ball, who can run the offense himself as well as play alongside Tre Jones, or any combination.
    3. Salary dump Zach Collins: Not my favorite use, as it'd be cheaper to do so next year when he becomes an expiring and probably can be used as salary filler outright, but if there's an unforeseen opportunity to be a player in free agency this year, this could be the most fitting trade chip to use for those purposes, likely accompanied by a couple extra 2nds (hopefully not good ones).

All in all, I think these proposals would extract more value from the pick than just letting time run its course.
    Nice list.

It won't be time to talk about moving up or down in the draft until after the lottery, but your reasoning is sound. The Spurs have enough picks stockpiled that they can aggressively go after someone if they really want him.

That's a good tidbit about the Blazers evidently being willing to trade Brogdon for the #30 pick. Perhaps they would be willing to take the Spurs' natural second, around #33-34, plus another couple of seconds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wouldnt give a pick just to move collins. if a sweetener is needed in order for a team to take him on in a larger trade for a better player, then we can talk about a little extra compensation

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wouldnt give a pick just to move collins. if a sweetener is needed in order for a team to take him on in a larger trade for a better player, then we can talk about a little extra compensation
    He's perfect for salary matching.
    Useless, but I'd rather give him DNPs than waste assets just to move him, it's not like cap space will be an issue.

Keldon+Collins should be the package if Spurs trade for a max player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would the Cavs do that?
    They're trading Garland only if Mitc stays, which doesn't look likely.
    Mitc and another undersized, bad defense guard can't really work in the playoffs.
    maybe as a phantom sweetener Of loosing Mitch. „Bigger” name for making impresion all under control

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trail Blazers receive: Johnson, Branham, Craptors 1st

Spurs receive: Simons

If the Spurs are not into big game hunting and don't want to rely on unproven or uninspiring (free agent) options, this could be a middle ground of sorts.

I don't know that the Trail Blazers would do it, but it'd balance their roster better, paving the way for Henderson and Sharpe to have the keys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy to see I'm not the only one wanting Brogdon...

He's the best choice (by default) imo at PG, I know there's a history of injuires but he seems ok since.

He covers all we need, veteran, solid 3pts shooter and decent playmaker

Add a rookie PG and we're good in this area

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If the Spurs are not into big game hunting and don't want to rely on unproven or uninspiring (free agent) options, this could be a middle ground of sorts.

I don't know that the Trail Blazers would do it, but it'd balance their roster better, paving the way for Henderson and Sharpe to have the keys.
    lol no way do the Blazers take that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, let’s throw gasoline on the fire by getting a 6’3” SG who’s one of the worst defenders in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol no way do the Blazers take that.
    Probably not, but it's about as far (Hornets 1st) as I'd be willing to go.

Yes, let’s throw gasoline on the fire by getting a 6’3” SG who’s one of the worst defenders in the league.
    He's a lead guard which has long seemed the Spurs preference over a "true" PG and as bad as he is defensively, he's mostly shared the back court with other small guard liabilities which would be mitigated here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Simmons podcast from a few days ago brainstormed a LaMelo Ball trade to the Spurs

Hurt all the time and with a Max contract....

Not that Charlotte is even interested in moving on, but ....

Anyone more into Ball than Trae Young if the price is the same?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Simmons podcast from a few days ago brainstormed a LaMelo Ball trade to the Spurs

Hurt all the time and with a Max contract....

Not that Charlotte is even interested in moving on, but ....

Anyone more into Ball than Trae Young if the price is the same?
    I legit think Popovich would gun murder LaMello Ball within two weeks. Dude plays by no structure or organization whatsoever, it's all dribble wherever and jack up whatever. How does Simmons come up with this crap.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should get Okoro. He would look better in our system. He would go for the MLE. CLE has some upcoming cap concerns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should get Okoro. He would look better in our system. He would go for the MLE. CLE has some upcoming cap concerns.
    I wouldn’t hate it, but I’m not sure he’s better than Keldon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamelo could be a good idea... in 5-6years once he's become a grown man

Before that it's just to make Pop retire

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^

This is one of the worst channels on Youtube, so many better options

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like that. His shooting is trending up and he plays real D..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking BIG, who are some realistic targets for “bigger” moves (like Trae caliber or thereabouts, or perhaps someone not quite at that level but young and promising so it still cons utes a “blockbuster” like when Indy moved Sabonis for Halliburton)? We’ve heard some folks mention Garland, Mitc and Bridges.

We’ll have to see how the post season goes for CLE, but I don’t get the sense that they’d want to move either of those guys for picks at this juncture.

BKY might be coming around to the idea of moving Bridges, but so long as HOU owns their picks, they’re going to be in that same situation as ATL where they have no incentive to completely tear it down.

I think Lauri would be an excellent fit, but I would avoid dealing with Ainge at all costs.

Minny might be intrigued by the idea of moving KAT, but I personally wouldn’t like him on our team with Wemby.

Is there a cir stance in which BOS wants to move Brown?

DET could be interesting, do they feel like they need to move a guard? Cade or Ivey would be big moves.

OKC will likely need to move on from someone at some point… Giddy seems like the obvious man out… I’m personally not too worried about the off the court stuff given the way all of that ended up playing out, but I’m not all that excited about him unless its for a bargain. Not really a “big” move either IMO.

WTF do the Bulls do? I doubt the Spurs have any interest in Lavine, nor should they. Demar would be an interesting reunion. I’m still interested in Coby White, though that’s more of a secondary move.

Any interest in Simons? I don’t see him as a huge needle mover.

Back to BKY… I like Cam Thomas a lot as a 6th man (and a potential 6MOY candidate type). He’s a bucket, but doesn’t play D. A Cam Thomas/Cam Johnson/Mikal Bridges blockbuster would remake our team pretty quickly. SA24 + ATL25 + SA27 + SA29 + Devin + Keldon + Sochan? Feel free to roast this proposal… I’m just spitballin’.

Would love to hear some other SIGNIFICANT targets to pair with some more minor moves (like SRPs for Brogdon)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking BIG, who are some realistic targets for “bigger” moves (like Trae caliber or thereabouts, or perhaps someone not quite at that level but young and promising so it still cons utes a “blockbuster” like when Indy moved Sabonis for Halliburton)? We’ve heard some folks mention Garland, Mitc and Bridges.
    IMO those are mostly nonstarters, but I appreciate the thoughts. Bridges isn't really a great player and he's already 28. Garland is a player the Spurs can emulate with drafting Dillingham or similar (for much cheaper!). Markannen is interesting, and only 26, but Utah doesn't seem to want to move him and would expect to pull SA over the barrel if they did.

To me, trades would probably be for smaller pieces if they aren't on the timeline. And I think the Spurs aren't thinking in terms of 2-4 years, they're actually thinking in terms of the next decade.

What might work is looking at younger teams with a glut at certain positions that might be willing to balance out their rosters. You mentioned Detroit, and I'd suggest Orlando, as teams with too many guards, and they're still developing and young.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my estimation as things stand now.

OKC - Giddey isn't a major target and he can't shoot. I expect them to be in the running for a disgruntled star this summer.
    DEN - I can actually see MPJ being moved if they don't repeat. He's not worth the money.
    MIN - As you said, I think KAT and his behemoth contract need to go, but we're not a destination. Naz Reid must be our #1 priority if he becomes available due to their cap situation.
    LAC - Ballmer will keep everyone despite the ridiculous tax because he's got infinite budget.
    NOP - I can see a lot of retooling. Valanciunas is FA, they've got three quality SFs, but just one starting spot and one plays out of position as SG. I don't want Ingram, but if Herb or Murphy become available, should be top priority.
    SAC - Will probably look to upgrade, they've got too many good players and not enough great players. Monk as a FA would be a nice addition for us. Keegan Murray would also be really nice if he becomes available.
    DAL - We can only wait and see how they up this summer. Nothing good for us there...until Luka asks out, that is.
    PHO - The team to watch out for. I think they'll implode and KD will ask out again. He'd be perfect for us not just as a player, but as a mentor. Still, I wouldn't waste picks on a 36 year old. Booker asking out would be worth considering for us.
    GSW - They're done. Kuminga if he becomes available, but that's not likely. Klay is washed and will ask for a lot. Same goes for Draymond.
    LAL - Hachimura would be the only interesting target, but they'd ask for way too much. Even if by some insane turn of events Lebron is available in FA, I don't want the circus that comes with him around Wemby.
    HOU - No clue, they're so random.
    UTA - Markkanen would be a great fit, but Ainge isn't looking to build a winning team, but fleece other GMs. Keep away.
    MEM - Keeping their core.
    POR - Brogdon as you said. Jerami Grant would be a great fit, but he's already 30 and under contract up until 2028 at 30-35M a year. Stay away.

BOS - If they crumble again, I expect some moves. I don't want Brown's ridiculous contract. Bringing back Derrick would be ideal. Jrue will probably pick up the player option.
    MIL - Giannis won't leave, others are too old.
    CLE - Garland was my pipe dream before Trae talk started. Him and Mitc can't play together in the playoffs, too small. If Mitc signs a new deal, PATFO should go for Garland. If Mitc hits FA, I don't really want him on a ridiculous contract. And then Devin would have to be traded for some legit wing players. Okoro is up for an extension and would be a good fit for us.
    NYK - They've got all their picks, they'll definitely be in the running for any disgruntled star with those and Randle as a package. I'd actually consider Randle for cheap, he's on a great contract. OG is obviously a FA, but I think he agreed to stay when he got traded. If not, top priority for PATFO.
    ORL - I think they're happy with their core. Maybe they look for an upgrade at shooting guard.
    IND - Siakam is in the same situation as OG. Obi Toppin is a FA, would be a solid bench player for us.
    MIA - Nothing that fits here.
    PHI - They'll be in for a lot of moves this summer. Just Embiid and Maxey under contract. If by some crazy development they trade for a second superstar, Spurs should try get in as the third team for Maxey, but that's really unlikely to happen.
    CHI - Treadmilling. Stars are too old, Lavine is trash and Coby White is untradeable. Maybe Caruso for cheap.
    ATL - Everything has been said about Trae and DJ.
    BRK - As you said, they can't let go of Bridges for cheap because they're ed, more or less. And trading multiple picks for Bridges isn't a good idea.
    TOR - I guess Bruce Brown if they commit to the tank. If that happens, I can also see them giving us the pick this year so they can tank.
    CHO - Nothing good.
    DET - Cade if he asks out, would be a great fit for us. Should be the priority if available. I feel bad for him being stuck there, he's shown that he's got a great mentality and he keeps improving.
    WAS - Tyus Jones for some second rounders if we don't get a star point guard. Or if we draft a rookie point guard because I don't want Tre or a rookie starting next season. I'd say Kuzma for cheap, but then again, what for?

I don't really see any legit superstars asking out this summer barring some catastrophic developments for their teams. But it's the NBA, so who knows.
    Booker looked kind of checked out over the past few games, if I had to put my money on someone, it would be him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you for the very thorough thoughts, LeBowen!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we're more concerned about prioritizing a return to competence and our worry is having young players develop in a losing environment, you can probably rectify that with a couple moves

1. Pay Klay. Short term 2+1 year Dillon Brooks/FVV style contract, 40 million a year or something absurd. Gives you spacing, more importantly movement spacing, a vet presence with championship experience. Who cares if he's not worth his contract, it's purely for development anyway and make Wemby's life easier, plus you give up zero assets
    2. (Shoutout Ariel) Trade for Deni Avdija. Toronto pick, Chicago pick, Keldon Johnson. Washington's front office aren't incompetent anymore, but I think they probably still think hard about this deal. Deni gives you defense, positional size, and playmaking from the forward/wing spot and he's about to start one of the best value contracts in the league
    3. Draft Reed Sheppard this year. Not the sexiest pick, but gives you elite shooting as well as the ability to toggle between on-ball and off-ball roles. Plus if he hits his unlikely upside of Haliburton you're really cooking

For the next 2 years, you're rolling out a lineup of Sheppard-Vassell-Klay-Deni-Wemby. That's potentially 3 elite shooters including at least 1 movement shooter in Klay, a very good shooter in Deni, and Wemby. Sochan moves to the bench for a couple years and develops his ball handling chops from the bench by helping run the second unit. Sheppard can't be a full time initiator, but ball handling is spread between him, Deni (who can act as initiator), an improving Vassell, and Wemby. You've got a balanced roster with an old vet in Klay, 2 young-ish vets in Vassell/Deni, Wemby, and a mature rookie in Sheppard.

This probably allows you to at least compete for a play-in spot without giving up too many assets, including none of your Hawks picks or your own picks. Meanwhile, you try and improve Deni's shooting volume as well as Sochan's all-around game. I still believe in Sochan, so the goal would be for him to slide into Klay's spot in 2 years and role out a front court lineup of Sochan/Deni/Wemby which gives you good positional size and defense as well as playmaking. Sochan also plays on the bench next to Barlow which gives you two guys you can develop in the front court who are decent defenders.

Continue drafting wings in 2025 and beyond so that if Sochan doesn't work out, you have talent that can slide into his position. Your own draft picks will still be late-lotto to mid-first bad, but at least your team has some semblance of competence and spacing. It also allows you to keep most of your best assets while still having youth that you can develop.
    Last edited by SpursBills; 03-18-2024 at 06:26 PM.

Thread Information