Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've watched a lot of ABA over the years though not this year and not like when the Spurs had Dangubic or had picked up Baynes, so I'm not unfamiliar with how he's performing in context

But there's another thing that I don't like in his game, that he's a way below the rim player at 6-6 even if that does come from a Rondo Hatton like head

6-6 guys who can't get vertical and finish better be legit shooters. Bolmaro was wonderfully exciting with passing and flair but couldn't get off the ground and couldn't shoot. Primo didn't just have cement shoes making him slow but they also kept him on the ground and he had problems shooting.

Topic does look like he has good touch and can really drive some distance off his last step, but he's also a collect and gather 2 foot jumper at the rim for dunk attempts. Dejounte was a 2 footer but at least did so explosively and pretty quickly became a legit shooter from midrange and has slowly built it out.

I can't tell if I think Topic will have a harder time with drives in the NBA because of the better athletes or will be fine because of his touch. I remember concerns about Luka getting looks off in Spain where some 30 year old inferior athletes were almost getting to his shot and the question if NBA defensive wings would actually affect it in a big game changing way. Clearly Luka handled it fine.
    These are the exact same issues teams had with Doncic, and guess what, he’s still not a vertical player, and he was an AllStar at 20, shooting .316 from 3. Most of what differentiates good players from great players isn’t physical,it’s between the ears.

Euros are just different. They know the game inside and out,so they don’t need verticality like the less polished Americans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that Topic is some sure thing, it's that this team is desperately in need of a primary creator and only him, Collier and maybe Dillingham project to conceivably fit the description and anyone who knows how the Spurs operate knows they won't consider the latter two.

Otherwise, we're probably looking at a projected secondary creator like Buzelis or a 3 and D type like Risacher.

Euros are just different. They know the game inside and out,so they don’t need verticality like the less polished Americans.
    The exact kind of archaic, stereotypical, laced with racial undertone thinking that has this franchise in the state they're in.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that Topic is some sure thing, it's that this team is desperately in need of a primary creator and only him, Collier and maybe Dillingham project to conceivably fit the description and anyone who knows how the Spurs operate knows they won't consider the latter two.

Otherwise, we're probably looking at a projected secondary creator like Buzelis or a 3 and D type like Risacher.

The exact kind of archaic, stereotypical, laced with racial undertone thinking that has this franchise in the state they're in.
    When was the last time we drafted a white player...Luka? Or are you concerned that the Spurs don't draft players who are "too black"? That seems to be the argument you are making.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When was the last time we drafted a white player...Luka? Or are you concerned that the Spurs don't draft players who are "too black"? That seems to be the argument you are making.
    I'm concerned that they limit themselves to mostly straying from players from the inner city, who represent the biggest talent pool, because they suppsedly don't fit their precious "culture".

They could get away with that when they had talent like they did during the dynasty. Now? They can't afford to continue to throw picks in the garbage, as they've done so often recently.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm concerned that they limit themselves to mostly straying from players from the inner city, who represent the biggest talent pool, because they suppsedly don't fit their precious "culture".

They could get away with that when they had talent like they did during the dynasty. Now? They can't afford to continue to throw picks in the garbage, as they've done so often recently.
    I generally see what you are getting at. But said overlooked player still needs to be good. So, just curious, would you draft Topic or Collier with the FRP? Both are point guards who are supposed to go high in the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I generally see what you are getting at. But said overlooked player still needs to be good. So, just curious, would you draft Topic or Collier with the FRP? Both are point guards who are supposed to go high in the draft.
    Yeah, that's the point. More focus on talent, less focus on virtually everything else.

I'd draft Topic, but I'd consider Collier.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think I agree with the principle of this, but can you give some examples of how they passed on inner city talent in the past few drafts? Were you advocating for bundling future assets to move up for Shaedon Sharpe 2 years ago? Or trading a ton of future draft equity to buy a pick for Scoot to pair with Wemby last year? We call the 2021 draft garbage now, but I think most people on this board were happy with the picks, maybe with the exception of rascal. Are you suggesting that the spurs would have taken a guy like Garland over Ja if they had been in position to in 2020? Just wanted to clarify your point here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I agree with the principle of this, but can you give some examples of how they passed on inner city talent in the past few drafts? Were you advocating for bundling future assets to move up for Shaedon Sharpe 2 years ago? Or trading a ton of future draft equity to buy a pick for Scoot to pair with Wemby last year? We call the 2021 draft garbage now, but I think most people on this board were happy with the picks, maybe with the exception of rascal. Are you suggesting that the spurs would have taken a guy like Garland over Ja if they had been in position to in 2020? Just wanted to clarify your point here.
    It's not just passed on, I believe they won't even consider them unless the value/need to asset ratio (like Blair in the 2nd or Murray at 29) pendulum swings so far in the latter direction.

I have no proof of this, but am confident they'd have taken either Thompson twin over Henderson (which might end up right, but for the wrong reasons) and Barrett over Morant.

Why do you think they target biracial (particularly foreign) players? Black enough physical tools without the cliched baggage/mentality that typically comes with inner city types.
    Last edited by TD 21; 12-27-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah right, load the roster with slow, vertically challenged players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's a lot closer to Franz Wagner than Bertans
    I also think Matas would be a good selection in the Top 3. In my opinion the best fit in the front court with Wemby and Sochan long term is a Jabari Parker type (size, shooting, D, secondary creation but doesn’t need the ball to be impactful), and I think Matas fits the bill the most of the bunch (with Rachiare close behind if his shooting streak isn’t a fluke).

And, he is no Bert on D:

Per SI: “While he still has room for improvement, Buzelis’ defensive disruptiveness has been promising. He’s already produced 21 stocks (steals + blocks) through eight contests. He’s also showcased his versatility on that end and future upside of being able to guard upwards of three positions. If he can prove to be a plus defender for most of the season, his draft stock should swing significantly.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also think Matas would be a good selection in the Top 3. In my opinion the best fit in the front court with Wemby and Sochan long term is a Jabari Parker type (size, shooting, D, secondary creation but doesn’t need the ball to be impactful), and I think Matas fits the bill the most of the bunch (with Rachiare close behind if his shooting streak isn’t a fluke).

And, he is no Bert on D:

Per SI: “While he still has room for improvement, Buzelis’ defensive disruptiveness has been promising. He’s already produced 21 stocks (steals + blocks) through eight contests. He’s also showcased his versatility on that end and future upside of being able to guard upwards of three positions. If he can prove to be a plus defender for most of the season, his draft stock should swing significantly.”
    im not operating with any certainty that sochan is necessarily a core player alongside wemby

he might be... but hasnt proven it yet tbh. he has to be more than a passable defender to justify his presence in the starting unit

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im not operating with any certainty that sochan is necessarily a core player alongside wemby

he might be... but hasnt proven it yet tbh. he has to be more than a passable defender to justify his presence in the starting unit
    Imo the point is more on matas globally and i agree with CGD he is showing some nice thing defensively, strangely the 3pt % is bad.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one wrinkle that may make the spurs take a guy like Matas if they believe in him is that the spurs have shown a desire to have multiple ball handlers who can all shoot, pass, and drive. This theoretically works well in a playoff setting where guys can get schemed. If the spurs take Topic, they are committing to a specific style of play with him as a semi-heliocentric ball handler creating for others. Topic is not someone who I would try and play off-ball, much like a guy like Jeremy Lin. If you compare at Lin's efficiency when he was the primary creator with the knicks vs with the rockets the next year when he was forced into an off-ball role next to Harden, there's a huge difference.

If the spurs are committed to having multiple ball handlers who can all attack, they are probably drafting a guy like Matas with their first pick and then will go hard after a guy like Reed Sheppard with their second pick as a guy who can hold his own defensively, shoot lights out, and function as a passable creator. A lineup of Sheppard-Vassell-Matas-Sochan-Wemby in theory provides you with multiple guys who can create or shoot, especially with Sochan's developing shot. This is an interesting stylistic change compared to a theoretical lineup of Topic-Vassell-Risacher-Sochan-Wemby and I'd be curious regarding others' thoughts on the differences between these two lineups.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yall keep saying matas....But if he was on the spurs rn he would be struggling shooting...Like
    we need another inconsistent shooter on this team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or you go

insert pg - Vassell - Risacher - Buzelis - Wemby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one wrinkle that may make the spurs take a guy like Matas if they believe in him is that the spurs have shown a desire to have multiple ball handlers who can all shoot, pass, and drive. This theoretically works well in a playoff setting where guys can get schemed. If the spurs take Topic, they are committing to a specific style of play with him as a semi-heliocentric ball handler creating for others. Topic is not someone who I would try and play off-ball, much like a guy like Jeremy Lin. If you compare at Lin's efficiency when he was the primary creator with the knicks vs with the rockets the next year when he was forced into an off-ball role next to Harden, there's a huge difference.

If the spurs are committed to having multiple ball handlers who can all attack, they are probably drafting a guy like Matas with their first pick and then will go hard after a guy like Reed Sheppard with their second pick as a guy who can hold his own defensively, shoot lights out, and function as a passable creator. A lineup of Sheppard-Vassell-Matas-Sochan-Wemby in theory provides you with multiple guys who can create or shoot, especially with Sochan's developing shot. This is an interesting stylistic change compared to a theoretical lineup of Topic-Vassell-Risacher-Sochan-Wemby and I'd be curious regarding others' thoughts on the differences between these two lineups.
    Topić’s usage is 24.6, nowhere in the vicinity of heliocentric.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topić’s usage is 24.6, nowhere in the vicinity of heliocentric.
    That's true, but Luka's was 26.9 his last season at Real and look at him now. I haven't seen enough of Topic honestly as a cutter or spot of shooter to believe much in him as a good off ball player. I think I read somewhere that his off the dribble 3% is higher than his catch and shoot %.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yall keep saying matas....But if he was on the spurs rn he would be struggling shooting...Like
    we need another inconsistent shooter on this team
    Realistically there are only two shooters in the top of the draft and that would be SG - Ja'Kobe Walter and PG/SG - Reed Sheppard

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red star is playing in three hours againt Pana ( jerian grant, juancho hernangomez, kendrick nunn); we'll see if topic is there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true, but Luka's was 26.9 his last season at Real and look at him now. I haven't seen enough of Topic honestly as a cutter or spot of shooter to believe much in him as a good off ball player. I think I read somewhere that his off the dribble 3% is higher than his catch and shoot %.
    Luka didn’t arrive in Dallas with a Wemby on the roster. He was kind of forced into his role, and it’s really hard to roll that back once a player gets that many touches.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor is not a great defender merely because of his height. His timing and defensive IQ is incredible.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Baby steps man, Sochan has to get to passable defender first.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baby steps man, Sochan has to get to passable defender first.
    Sad but true! I’m high on buddy but his defense and effort has been truly lacking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio is known for poor Defense and bad shooting.

Topics biggest weakness? Poor defense and bad shooting.

Uh....

Thread Information