Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and who is top 3 worthy pick in this draft so far
    First i’m not saying topic does not worth a top 3 pick, just that his range is more 4-8 imo but that could change.

imo there is no sure thing in this draft but i could see Holland, Walter and then some of buzelis, sarr … for the top3, topic is also in the mix.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. This draft is so open but I think the first two will be Sarr and Buzelis, but as i said before this draft more then any other will be about fit more then drafting on potential. One thing is that every player in the top 10 has some warts and I expect more of the top of the draft will end up in G League there first year then being a major contributor day 1. Just looking at PG there is only 1 player who is really a shooter and that is Reed, every other top PG has to work on there shooting from mid to the 3 ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. This draft is so open but I think the first two will be Sarr and Buzelis, but as i said before this draft more then any other will be about fit more then drafting on potential. One thing is that every player in the top 10 has some warts and I expect more of the top of the draft will end up in G League there first year then being a major contributor day 1. Just looking at PG there is only 1 player who is really a shooter and that is Reed, every other top PG has to work on there shooting from mid to the 3 ball.
    i agree with this. there isnt a huge talent disparity at the top that would supersede need/fit this year. personally i dont think Sarr stands out enough to look like a #1 overall type but tbh nobody really does this year. could be holland/buzelis at top as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice post, a few extra tidbits:

- I will take with a huge grain of salt his measurements. He was reportedly measured at 6'6" without shoes, with a 7' wingspan and a 8'2.5" standing reach at a basketball without border camp that happened in Utah in March 2023. These numbers make no sense. You can look at thousands of players measured through the year and you won't find one with that size/wingspan and a standing reach that short. At least one of these 3 numbers is false.
    Personally, I don't buy at all the 7' wingspan. His arms don't look that long and it's very unusual for white players to have that kind of wingspan/height ratio.

- Topic has scored 18.6 ppg this season and his scoring breakdown is the following:
    • 10.2 ppg in the paint
    • 0.6 ppg from 2s outside the paint
    • 3.9 ppg from 3's (closer line than in the NBA and with a 28.8 3P%)
    • 3.9 ppg from the free throw line
    His offense is coming from the paint and there is a true question mark on whether or it will translate to the NBA. It's a big reason why he isn't higher on mock drafts currently despite all his qualities.
    I find that he has a good combination of size, quickness and craftiness to score inside at he NBA level. However, if he can't improve his jumpshot and develop a floater, I fear he will be too predictable to be successful against the more athletic NBA players.

- Topic's dad is a former high level basketball player. I like prospects that are coming from basektball families because it often translates into players that easily coachable and have a high BBIQ.

- It's great that he is leaving Mega to get back to Red Star. It will answer some doubts on his game. Right now, I think Topic is a fine prospect for the Raptors pick (if Spurs get it) but not for the Spurs' one. If he does well in Euroleague/ABA playoffs, he will be a legitimate candidate for Spurs' projected top 6 pick.
    Bruno!!! Is in da HAWSE!!!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say about the wingspan. Well, I guess we need to see X-rays of his growth plates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought he'd be a good pick, but nvm. Don't need players who wear pick. Our history with those guys doesn't bode well.

Pass.

/satire

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am huge on Topic.....unfortunately, I saw a mock that had Detroit drafting him at 1. That would really piss me off if that happened.

I also like Sarr, but I would take Topic over him.
    I doubt Pistons are drafting another guard. They already have 11 or something like that.

I like Topic. I’m hoping he’s a Doncic 2.0 with the Bball IQ and just the poise. He finishes 71% in the paint?? That’s like TP when he led FG percentage finishing among trees. But damn I like the nostalgic twin tower Wemby/Sarr and what that could possibly mean defensively. I know Sarr is far from DRob. But a wishful thinking if Sarr could develop close to the defensive force.

But yes Topic as 1st pick would be awesome and a defensive SF at 2nd pick, if Holland falls to TOR pick why not.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

- I will take with a huge grain of salt his measurements. He was reportedly measured at 6'6" without shoes, with a 7' wingspan and a 8'2.5" standing reach at a basketball without border camp that happened in Utah in March 2023. These numbers make no sense. You can look at thousands of players measured through the year and you won't find one with that size/wingspan and a standing reach that short. At least one of these 3 numbers is false.
    Personally, I don't buy at all the 7' wingspan. His arms don't look that long and it's very unusual for white players to have that kind of wingspan/height ratio.

- Topic has scored 18.6 ppg this season and his scoring breakdown is the following:
    • 10.2 ppg in the paint
    • 0.6 ppg from 2s outside the paint
    • 3.9 ppg from 3's (closer line than in the NBA and with a 28.8 3P%)
    • 3.9 ppg from the free throw line

His offense is coming from the paint and there is a true question mark on whether or it will translate to the NBA. It's a big reason why he isn't higher on mock drafts currently despite all his qualities.
    I find that he has a good combination of size, quickness and craftiness to score inside at he NBA level. However, if he can't improve his jumpshot and develop a floater, I fear he will be too predictable to be successful against the more athletic NBA players.

- Topic's dad is a former high level basketball player. I like prospects that are coming from basektball families because it often translates into players that easily coachable and have a high BBIQ.

- It's great that he is leaving Mega to get back to Red Star. It will answer some doubts on his game. Right now, I think Topic is a fine prospect for the Raptors pick (if Spurs get it) but not for the Spurs' one. If he does well in Euroleague/ABA playoffs, he will be a legitimate candidate for Spurs' projected top 6 pick.
    Thanks for your response! I'm still having a hard time gauging the relative strengths of the different leagues.

How would rate defensive quality in ABA league vs other leagues such as Jeep Elite, Turkish Superleague, and NBL? I know ACB is probably above all of these teams in quality. Even though talent in G league is most likely somewhere in between ACB and other European leagues, I think the defense being played is probably far inferior to all of the above. Also, where does Eurocup compe ion slot in relative to these domestic leagues? Trying to see how Risacher rates as an 18 year old as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sorry, there is no way the guy has a 7ft wingspan. Dont think he has TRex arms or anything, but just looks average. Dont doubt his bbiq potential, but let’s hits the breaks— dude is still 18. Think most important thing is being generally smart and coachable so that when he’s 22 he shows that bbiq off.

I do like him, but I think he’s getting overhyped in here, at least, I think it’s still an open question whether Spurs should take him with, say, the second pick.
    18 YOs who dominate grown men in Europe are worthy of hype. The recent list is Doncic and Sengün, and they both excelled, after being UNDERVALUED before the draft. Doncic was drafted in 2018, and Sengün in 2021, three years apart. This next draft is 2024, three years after Sengün.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs get the 3rd, hopefully, teams value Collier and Sarr higher because Topic is definietly the guy we need. He also has a pace and maturity to his game that can translate really well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Pistons are drafting another guard. They already have 11 or something like that.

I like Topic. I’m hoping he’s a Doncic 2.0 with the Bball IQ and just the poise. He finishes 71% in the paint?? That’s like TP when he led FG percentage finishing among trees. But damn I like the nostalgic twin tower Wemby/Sarr and what that could possibly mean defensively. I know Sarr is far from DRob. But a wishful thinking if Sarr could develop close to the defensive force.

But yes Topic as 1st pick would be awesome and a defensive SF at 2nd pick, if Holland falls to TOR pick why not.
    pistons could easily take Topic and see him as an off-ramp to Cunningham if they dont believe he is worth the monster extension he's going to want, and could look to trade him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs get the 3rd, hopefully, teams value Collier and Sarr higher because Topic is definietly the guy we need. He also has a pace and maturity to his game that can translate really well.
    I'm a big fan of Topic but Buzelis would also be a very nice fit for us if we are picking near the top

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a big fan of Topic but Buzelis would also be a very nice fit for us if we are picking near the top
    stop it bro...buzelis is another berthans...Same player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stop it bro...buzelis is another berthans...Same player
    he's a lot closer to Franz Wagner than Bertans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also like Buzelis, but at that high of a position, if available, a highly competent PG should be more of a priority.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

. .
    I agree with the wingspan being suspect, but the biggest suspect thing is his height

I've posted it in other threads, but the more I watch him the more it stands out to me; he has a Bryn Forbes body size feet to shoulders but topped off with a giraffe neck and a giant Frankenstein head

He might technically reach 6-6, but there's 3 extra inches of vertebrae and cranium that are getting him there. That's why his reach is so short for his height, his arms have so far to travel to clear his head.

I watch the new scouting videos of him and still don't really see the hype. Nice touch for a straight line driver. Good passer, bad shooting bad ion defense, lots of give up in him when trying to cover faster guys.

But I'll have to watch some full games after the new year, watching other people's select highlights and scouting breakdowns probably doesn't do him justice.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also like Buzelis, but at that high of a position, if available, a highly competent PG should be more of a priority.
    Yeah, as long as we get Topic or Buzelis I will be a happy camper as I think both can be starters with Wemby down the road. I am not counting on the Raptors pick I don't want to be let down if we don't get it this year so just hoping we pick one of these two guys. I also think we can get a good backup player with our first second round pick.

On a side not I wonder if Wemby will have any pull with the team and want another French player to be picked up in this upcoming draft?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn’t mind either him or Collier with our pick and then Richachet with the Tor pick. Covers a lot of our mess in one draft. We get defense and playmaking and shooting all in one draft

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarr, Buzelis, and Topic are probably the 3 at the top that fit best next to Wembanyama. If the Toronto pick comes in at #7 we could conceivably end up with 2 of those 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher with Toronto pick is probably the best case scenario, and coming away with either of Topic or Buzelis with our natural pick would be a win. Topic has a wider range out of outcomes than buzelis

at least that’s my take before the new year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for your response! I'm still having a hard time gauging the relative strengths of the different leagues.

How would rate defensive quality in ABA league vs other leagues such as Jeep Elite, Turkish Superleague, and NBL? I know ACB is probably above all of these teams in quality. Even though talent in G league is most likely somewhere in between ACB and other European leagues, I think the defense being played is probably far inferior to all of the above. Also, where does Eurocup compe ion slot in relative to these domestic leagues? Trying to see how Risacher rates as an 18 year old as well.
    In Europe, Euroleague teams are one step ahead of the other teams. Euroleague is by far the best basketball played outside the NBA and national teams.

Middle of the pack teams from Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Greece and Turkey aren't that far from one another. They heavily rely us on former NCAA players. Most of these teams have 4 or 5 former NCAA players that are starters or key bench players. As a result playing style isn't that different between various leagues. Teams from leagues with the most money, like Spain, are obviously better since they can get better and/or more experienced "American" players but I don't think there is a huge gap.

ABA league is a little different since they rely significantly less on foreign players. That's why when you look at Topic's highlights, he is mostly playing against a bunch of white dudes. This specificity of ABA league was a big reason why I wanted to see Topic playing in another league. Euroleague will be great to evaluate him.

There are quite a lot of talent in G league but it's way less structured than in Europe. I could be easily explained by less practices, constant roster changes and some players wanted to showcase themselves.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think getting Jakobe Walter and Rob Dillingham is more realistic but hopefully we get lucky with the lottery balls and get options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watch the new scouting videos of him and still don't really see the hype.
    It's really unusual for a 18 years old player to be that productive in Europe. He deserves a lot of credits for that.

Aside of that, cir stances are also helping him. Few draft prospects have looked great. The would be less Topic talk if a player like Collier was shinning is college. Spurs also are in desperate need of a PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've watched a lot of ABA over the years though not this year and not like when the Spurs had Dangubic or had picked up Baynes, so I'm not unfamiliar with how he's performing in context

But there's another thing that I don't like in his game, that he's a way below the rim player at 6-6 even if that does come from a Rondo Hatton like head

6-6 guys who can't get vertical and finish better be legit shooters. Bolmaro was wonderfully exciting with passing and flair but couldn't get off the ground and couldn't shoot. Primo didn't just have cement shoes making him slow but they also kept him on the ground and he had problems shooting.

Topic does look like he has good touch and can really drive some distance off his last step, but he's also a collect and gather 2 foot jumper at the rim for dunk attempts. Dejounte was a 2 footer but at least did so explosively and pretty quickly became a legit shooter from midrange and has slowly built it out.

I can't tell if I think Topic will have a harder time with drives in the NBA because of the better athletes or will be fine because of his touch. I remember concerns about Luka getting looks off in Spain where some 30 year old inferior athletes were almost getting to his shot and the question if NBA defensive wings would actually affect it in a big game changing way. Clearly Luka handled it fine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I like about Topic is he seek out contact and is able to finish at a high rate I am not worried about him getting to the rim I am more worried about defense and his 3 ball. But, everything else looks great for someone 18 years old playing against professional teams he is doing some very rare things at his age.

Thread Information