Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White contract will expire at the end of 2025 season.
    Players under the contract of Celtics after the end of 2025 season are:

Jrue Holiday - $32.4M
    Porzingis - $30.7M
    Tatum - $37.1M (PO)
    Brown - $53.3M
    Pritchard - $7.2M

That's $160.7M but not sure with the salary cap situation before 2025-2026 season and Tatum will likely opts out his PO then will sign an extension with the Celtics
    White will be UFA and will be 30 years old by then so he'll likely seek the largest money he can get which I think the Spurs can offer.
    I assumed that the Spurs are already aware with the situation but part of me thinks that White will be their priority by 2025 offseason esp. if they won't do much expensive move/s this offseason.

Personally, he's my priority FA by the offseason of 2025 since we already have a "Batman" and White seems a good fit as the top role player to Wemby and Vassell (assuming he'll still be the "Robin").
    What do you think the realistic chance of White's return to the Spurs?

Edit:

My timing was off and they can resign White as early this offseason but the new contract will kick in by the start of 2025-2026.
    By 2026 offseason, they'll resign Tatum to another Supermax Contract after he opts out his PO. and may not re-sign Porzingis or maybe they can for a cheaper contract.

I was thinking the Spurs have a legit chance in terms of Celtics financial status by 2025 offseason since they just resigned Holiday earlier this season but hopefully that White will consider to bet on himself to test the FA on 2025 offseason but his agent will probably remind him the risk.

Edit 2:

Answering my question and chance is slim but who knows.

"I can't talk about much with things that we're not allowed to discuss until July 1, but Derrick's had an amazing year," Stevens replied, as seen in the video player above. "Derrick is a huge, huge part of our team and we want him around for as long as we can keep him around."
    The question is whether Boston can afford to give White a long-term extension while also paying big money for Jayson Tatum (who's eligible for a supermax extension this offseason), Jaylen Brown, Holiday and Kristaps Porzingis.
    But Stevens' comments about White suggest that keeping him in Boston is a top priority, and as Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix explained recently, it seems like the front office has the green light from ownership to spend over the luxury tax if it means keeping this core together long-term.
    "I don't think [Holiday's extension] prevents the Celtics from signing Derrick White," Mannix said last week on NBC Sports Boston's Arbella Early Edition. "The Celtics have shown as an ownership group, as a front office that if there is a pathway to winning championships, they're willing to spend whatever it takes.

" ... Within the NBA's rules, I think the Celtics will do whatever it takes to keep this team together, to keep a multiple championship window type of team open."

White has been a perfect fit in Boston, and it would be very surprising to see him hit unrestricted free agency in 2025. So, don't be surprised if extension talks pick up in earnest after July 1.
    Brad Stevens addresses potential Derrick White contract extension – NBC Sports Boston
    Last edited by NickiRasgo; 5 Days Ago at 12:08 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White contract will expire at the end of 2025 season.
    Players under the contract of Celtics after the end of 2025 season are:

Jrue Holiday - $32.4M
    Porzingis - $30.7M
    Tatum - $37.1M (PO)
    Brown - $53.3M
    Pritchard - $7.2M

That's $160.7M but not sure sure with the salary cap situation before 2025-2026 season and Tatum will likely opts out his PO then will sign an extension with the Celtics
    White will be UFA and will be 30 years old by then so he'll likely seek the largest money he can get which I think the Spurs can offer.
    I assumed that the Spurs are already aware with the situation but part of me thinks that White will be their priority by 2025 offseason esp. if they won't do much expensive move/s this offseason.

Personally, he's my priority FA by the offseason of 2025 since we already have a "Batman" and White seems a good fit as the top role player to Wemby and Vassell (assuming he'll still be the "Robin").
    What do you think the realistic chance of White's return to the Spurs?
    It likely depends if the Celts ring between now and then. But even if they don't White is incredibly valuable to them. The advanced stats show that he is actually their most valuable player. Tatum and Brown don't perform anywhere near as well when White is off the floor. I am certain they will offer him something north of what they paid Jrue and at 30 years old he likely will prefer to stay in a win now situation rather than a developmental one. Celts being over the 2nd apron would almost be forced to sign him because they wouldn't be able to replace him and if I recall correctly he wouldn't be eligilble for a sign and trade. Although I would love to see him back in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah bring the better point guard back: Murray

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As things stand now, Celtics will offer him an extension.
    The only realistic way for him to get moved is if they implode and then decide to make some moves.
    But then again, I think he's the second last player they'd move after Tatum.
    Brown's contract is a big overpay, Jrue is 34 and Porzingis' injuries are inevitable.

We'll never get him back just because it would be too embarrassing for the Hawks to trade him back for less than they gave up.
    Especially since he's been playing better than ever and he signed a team friendly extension.

Point guard I'd keep an eye on is Cade.
    He hasn't signed an extension yet, Pistons just changed their GM and they're still two years away from being two years away.
    I don't think Cade is happy with the situation.

He didn't even turn 23 yet and is a well-known quan y. Great size.
    Would be costly, but chances of drafting a better point guard are really low.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. My ideal off season starts with trading our pick this year for DJM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only realistic way for him to get moved is if they implode and then decide to make some moves.
    Brown's contract is a big overpay, Jrue is 34 and Porzingis' injuries are inevitable.
    I agree. He's become increasingly important for Boston this season. The same way Jrue was for the Bucks

He'd be the ideal profil tho,

doesn't need much the ball = compatible with Wemby's PG skills,
    great size and defensive IQ,
    Spurs DNA,
    mentor for the young core...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An elite role player that knows his role > a fringe wannabe all-star with low IQ

White > Murray, if your goal is winning championships

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It likely depends if the Celts ring between now and then. But even if they don't White is incredibly valuable to them. The advanced stats show that he is actually their most valuable player. Tatum and Brown don't perform anywhere near as well when White is off the floor. I am certain they will offer him something north of what they paid Jrue and at 30 years old he likely will prefer to stay in a win now situation rather than a developmental one. Celts being over the 2nd apron would almost be forced to sign him because they wouldn't be able to replace him and if I recall correctly he wouldn't be eligilble for a sign and trade. Although I would love to see him back in SA.
    If they want to resign White, they'll prolly go over the salary cap space but I'm not sure the threshold on 2025-2026 season unless they trade Brown or Porzingis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Costly. Unlikely the Hawks will want something less in return unless they'll be okay with Spurs 2024 FRP and Raptors 2024/2025/2026 FRP plus filler players to match the salary + only 1 of the Hawks FRP but that's unlikely for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We'll never get him back just because it would be too embarrassing for the Hawks to trade him back for less than they gave up.
    Especially since he's been playing better than ever and he signed a team friendly extension.

Point guard I'd keep an eye on is Cade.
    He hasn't signed an extension yet, Pistons just changed their GM and they're still two years away from being two years away.
    I don't think Cade is happy with the situation.

He didn't even turn 23 yet and is a well-known quan y. Great size.
    Would be costly, but chances of drafting a better point guard are really low.
    That would be an awesome get. In terms of age, position, size and playing style, as close as perfect a get for the Spurs to pair with Wemby. But, unfortunely, I don't see the Pistons letting him go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The defense and size of a Cade, Vassell, Sochan, 3 and D guy, Wemby lineup would be something else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An elite role player that knows his role > a fringe wannabe all-star with low IQ

White > Murray, if your goal is winning championships
    Exactly. It may not be White that comes, but please no DJ. Can’t see Vic and him gelling on or off the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think my timing was off and yeah, they can resign White as early this offseason but the new contract will kick in by the start of 2025-2026 and they won't sign Porzingis after 2026 season which they'll also resign Tatum to another Supermax Contract after he opts out his PO.
    I was thinking we have a legit chance since they just resigned Holiday earlier this season but hopefully that White will consider to bet on himself to test the FA on 2025 offseason but could be too risky for him.
    Winning a championship is nice but I think getting bigger bag is better nowadays given that it'll be his last chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to get Derrick back, but I doubt Celtics would let him go. Derrick has shown to be their glue-guy offensively and defensively and very much liked by everyone.

And nope, Murray is not the better player overall if you include all the intangibles, teamplayer, unselfishness on and off the court, no drama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m thinking a deal w the Hawks ends up being a 3 team deal because the Hawks seem to want good players now more than they want to rebuild with picks.

I like White and would welcome him back as a FA for the right price, all while knowing that he’d likely only be there for the first part of Wemby’s career. He’ll be 30 next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brad Stevens is a pretty sharp guy, and I'm sure when he looks at his future salary obligations, the contract of Jaylen Brown has to stand out dramatically, especially alongside every advanced/impact measurement that shows Brown to be a relatively low impact guy for an all star with such an enormous contract. If the Celtics win a championship this year or next, it'll be (in my opinion) because of their incredible depth, not because Tatum/Brown are analogous to Jordan/Pippen, Steph/Klay, or Lebron/Wade. Stevens has to be wringing his hands right now thinking about what to do with White-- he probably can't keep everybody for more than a couple of years, but the decision on who to keep is going to be a big one for the future of the franchise, and I think J Brown brings the most back in a trade.

I'm been thinking the same lately about the Bucks and Lillard. Dame wanted pretty badly to be in Miami, and maybe it makes sense for Milwaukee to explore a trade there, for something like some combo of Jamie Jaquez, Jovic, Rozier, and a resigned Delon Wright... the idea being you catch Jaquez and Jovic on their way up instead of languishing with Dame on his way down...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m thinking a deal w the Hawks ends up being a 3 team deal because the Hawks seem to want good players now more than they want to rebuild with picks.

I like White and would welcome him back as a FA for the right price, all while knowing that he’d likely only be there for the first part of Wemby’s career. He’ll be 30 next year
    A 3 team deal would be easier for Atl to 'sell' to their fanbase than trading directly with us and getting less than they paid for DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So yeah, seems a very slim chance to return.

"I can't talk about much with things that we're not allowed to discuss until July 1, but Derrick's had an amazing year," Stevens replied, as seen in the video player above. "Derrick is a huge, huge part of our team and we want him around for as long as we can keep him around."
    The question is whether Boston can afford to give White a long-term extension while also paying big money for Jayson Tatum (who's eligible for a supermax extension this offseason), Jaylen Brown, Holiday and Kristaps Porzingis.
    But Stevens' comments about White suggest that keeping him in Boston is a top priority, and as Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix explained recently, it seems like the front office has the green light from ownership to spend over the luxury tax if it means keeping this core together long-term.
    "I don't think [Holiday's extension] prevents the Celtics from signing Derrick White," Mannix said last week on NBC Sports Boston's Arbella Early Edition. "The Celtics have shown as an ownership group, as a front office that if there is a pathway to winning championships, they're willing to spend whatever it takes.

" ... Within the NBA's rules, I think the Celtics will do whatever it takes to keep this team together, to keep a multiple championship window type of team open."

White has been a perfect fit in Boston, and it would be very surprising to see him hit unrestricted free agency in 2025. So, don't be surprised if extension talks pick up in earnest after July 1.
    Brad Stevens addresses potential Derrick White contract extension – NBC Sports Boston

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Celtics win a championship this year or next, it'll be (in my opinion) because of their incredible depth, not because Tatum/Brown are analogous to Jordan/Pippen, Steph/Klay, or Lebron/Wade.
    It will be because the East is down bad yet again with the West being a bloodbath.
    I don't think OKC has a chance to make it to the finals, but look at the potential road for other three teams. Just like the good, old days.

Meanwhile Boston will go through Miami without half their roster, Magic/Cavs and Pacers/Knicks.
    Healthy Knicks would be a respectable ECF team, but they're dropping life flies and Thibs is down to 7 men rotation.

Whenever the Celtics struggle, it really does feel like Jays are missing that final, superstar gear actual MVP level players have.
    If Boston is to win this year, they'll have to convincingly dismantle whoever they play. I don't give them much chance in clutch scenarios.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, my guess is they extend White and give it one full season, and then explore Jaylen Brown trades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will find a way to keep him.
    He’s in my view their best player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brad Stevens is a pretty sharp guy, and I'm sure when he looks at his future salary obligations, the contract of Jaylen Brown has to stand out dramatically, especially alongside every advanced/impact measurement that shows Brown to be a relatively low impact guy for an all star with such an enormous contract. If the Celtics win a championship this year or next, it'll be (in my opinion) because of their incredible depth, not because Tatum/Brown are analogous to Jordan/Pippen, Steph/Klay, or Lebron/Wade. Stevens has to be wringing his hands right now thinking about what to do with White-- he probably can't keep everybody for more than a couple of years, but the decision on who to keep is going to be a big one for the future of the franchise, and I think J Brown brings the most back in a trade.
    Yeah, my guess is they extend White and give it one full season, and then explore Jaylen Brown trades.
    I've essentially said as much recently.

Players the caliber of White don't get to free agency because the team is in a financial bind. They'll either pay him and figure the rest out later (Brown is the most likely casualty, with Holiday probably second) or in the off chance he won't re-sign for whatever reason, he'll be traded ahead of time.

This is why I keep saying hoarding cap space for '25 or whenever is a fool's errand because outside of the Craptors (Van Vleet), players of or above that magnitude don't make it to market anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will find a way to keep him.
    He’s in my view their best player.
    Maybe not best...but a vital piece. Celtics would be crazy to let him walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the money is close why would he want to come back to popa and the cluster s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the money is close why would he want to come back to popa and the cluster s
    Wemby

Thread Information