Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1730
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Memphis is currently 6th, but on a tear. Every win brings them closer to swapping 6/7 with Toronto, and cutting our pick odds. 7th is like ~68%, 6th is like ~53%. You have it backwards.

Strangely enough, Toronto moving to 6 gives us the best odds at just pick #7, ~29%.
    You're right. I was wrong. Old age can math over, sad

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Likely will go into next year with Topic as the only draft pick and a second rounder playing in the G league.

And a couple of low role player additions to the roster. Going to basically roll out the same team next year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Likely will go into next year with Topic as the only draft pick and a second rounder playing in the G league.

And a couple of low role player additions to the roster. Going to basically roll out the same team next year.
    God I hope not. That's depressing. If Topic doesn't work out its starting to look like first era LeBron Cavs bad. Thankfully I think they trade for Trea Young this summer to not chance that fate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not looking good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That’s how I see it too.

PATFO dgaf of all the supposed pressure from outside. They’ll tank 100%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah my best guess is the raptors finish #6 from the bottom so we will just have something like a 54% chance of landing the pick this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah my best guess is the raptors finish #6 from the bottom so we will just have something like a 54% chance of landing the pick this year
    They could finish 7th. Memphis feel good story has waned a bit. Even if they finish 6th, that gives us the best shot of any finishing position at getting pick #7, ~29%.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could finish 7th. Memphis feel good story has waned a bit. Even if they finish 6th, that gives us the best shot of any finishing position at getting pick #7, ~29%.
    If they finish 6th it's still just over 50% in total that it conveys I believe.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Idk why are you guys obsessing with Raptors record.
    At this point there's no chance for them to get odds that would most likely guarantee to keep their pick, but also there's no chance they climb high enough to be very likely to lose it.
    It's just a coin flip with these odds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Idk why are you guys obsessing with Raptors record.
    At this point there's no chance for them to get odds that would most likely guarantee to keep their pick, but also there's no chance they climb high enough to be very likely to lose it.
    It's just a coin flip with these odds.
    Yup its either a roughly 52% or 64% chance it conveys no matter what Toronto or Memphis does from here on out..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think Toronto is bad enough that they can potentially make up the difference to pass Portland - we'll see

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s impossible to police, there are always injuries that players could play through but won’t and will be used to tank.

It’s a négociations issue, Spurs should’ve done a better job. Props to Masai
    The Spurs fleeced the Craptors in this trade no matter how it turns out.

Did DAL end up getting any kind of punishment last year?

On one hand, it's anti-compe ive to tank like this, but on the other hand... it's not like they are the only team tanking. Whether it is to protect your pick or to increase your lotto odds... tankin' is still tankin'. I think the league needs to implement some kind of anti-tanking measures overall. I like the idea of reducing your lotto odds for repeated appearances at the bottom. That could also work for a team like TOR... 3 straight years in the bottom 6, and the third year the pick can be no better than 7th.
    After what Portland did a couple of years in a row (sitting Dame for an extended period of time when even he said he was able to play) and Dallas (with the most egregious tank job ever in their last game vs the Spurs where they didn't even bother giving an excuse as to why they sat their best players), there's ZERO chance the NBA does anything. Toronto tanking is a foregone conclusion at this point, we have to hope Portland does as usual to keep their 5th place and that would still give the Spurs a decent chance to keep the pick, though not that which we all expected.
    This is worse than usual tanking because it's basically operating in bad faith post trade and in this specific case, they essentially admitted it was a mistake and are now trying to weasel their way out of it.

I didn't say they were the only ones, I said at some point the league needs to stop rewarding it and it's easier to control the higher it is.

Make the next few who pull it lie in their bed and maybe it'll begin to be somewhat curtailed or just ins ute a rule whereby if they see this type of behavior, the pick automatically conveys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think Toronto is bad enough that they can potentially make up the difference to pass Portland - we'll see
    Don’t think there’s enough time left, with some teams having only 15-16 games left , plus Portland is pretty committed. They have a 3.5 game advantage, and if Toronto were to bite halfway into it, a rash of Blazer injuries would suddenly pop up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would never bet against Portland in a tank battle

Even if the Raptors finish 6th, that's still a slightly greater than 50% chance of getting the pick at maximum value, which is an impressive threading of the needle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't looked it up directly but I saw on reddit somewhere that 7th worst odds has moved up a bunch in the last 10 years while 6th worst has moved down more often than not. Would still really love for that pick to convey this draft tbh.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't looked it up directly but I saw on reddit somewhere that 7th worst odds has moved up a bunch in the last 10 years while 6th worst has moved down more often than not. Would still really love for that pick to convey this draft tbh.
    I want it to convey simply to ensure it conveys but raps are kinda dumb to tank this year. Same protection next year and that draft is looking to be considerably deeper.

If I’m the Spurs I’d probably rather have a late lottery pick next year than the 7th or 8th in this draft.

All it takes is for the raps to be slightly better next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn’t matter. The odds are the odds.

or else someone on Reddit can say they flipped a coin 10 times and got heads 7 times and now you think heads is a smart bet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...de12e3878.html

By finishing with the seventh-worst record, they would enter the lottery with only a 31.9 per cent chance of jumping into the top four and keeping their pick. A sixth-worst record would give Toronto a 45.8 per cent chance, according to Tankathon.com.

A team with the sixth-worst record has a 29.8 per cent chance of falling to seventh in the lottery and a 20.5 per cent chance of dropping to eighth. Toronto would lose its pick in either scenario if it finishes with the sixth-worst record.

On the bright side, oddsmakers give the sixth-worst team an 8.6 per cent chance of staying in the sixth spot, and a 37.2 per cent chance of jumping into the top four.

The argument for giving up the pick this year

This is where there's a big split in the fan base. Some fans seem -bent on wanting the Raptors to give up the pick this season, based on reports that none of the prospects at the top of the draft are projected to develop into cornerstone players. It's tough to follow the hype that surrounded last year’s top pick, Victor Wembanyama.

Next year's draft is expected to be much stronger, which is why some fans want to extinguish the draft obligation to the Spurs this summer and keep the draft pick in 2025.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn’t matter. The odds are the odds.

or else someone on Reddit can say they flipped a coin 10 times and got heads 7 times and now you think heads is a smart bet
    can be somerhing wrong with coin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say they were the only ones, I said at some point the league needs to stop rewarding it and it's easier to control the higher it is.

Make the next few who pull it lie in their bed and maybe it'll begin to be somewhat curtailed or just ins ute a rule whereby if they see this type of behavior, the pick automatically conveys.
    That is very hard to regulate. You can scrutinize medical reports and make sure there's at least a plausible excuse, but at the end of the day there's always going to be a margin for shenanigans. Something that sounds more natural to me is that teams that engage in this practice may not be prevented from doing so, but it will affect their reputation and future trades. Take Dallas for example. These are the trades following their shady actions to keep that pick from conveying:

• '27 first to Charlotte (PJ Washington - Grant Williams swap): top 2 protected
    • '28 swap to OKC (got a pick from OKC used in the Gafford trade): unprotected
    • '30 swap to Spurs (Grant Williams trade): unprotected

So you'll seE there's minimal or no protection at all on on their picks. I would expect those doing business with organizations that don't act in good faith to continue to demand a premium to be paid to make up for the uncertainty, whether in terms of a lighter protection (as in Dallas case), or a prolonged period to convey as in Portland's case (the pick they sent to Chicago in the Larry Nance trade was a '23 FRP protected through '28 -SIX YEARS!!!-).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is very hard to regulate. You can scrutinize medical reports and make sure there's at least a plausible excuse, but at the end of the day there's always going to be a margin for shenanigans. Something that sounds more natural to me is that teams that engage in this practice may not be prevented from doing so, but it will affect their reputation and future trades. Take Dallas for example. These are the trades following their shady actions to keep that pick from conveying:

• '27 first to Charlotte (PJ Washington - Grant Williams swap): top 2 protected
    • '28 swap to OKC (got a pick from OKC used in the Gafford trade): unprotected
    • '30 swap to Spurs (Grant Williams trade): unprotected

So you'll seE there's minimal or no protection at all on on their picks. I would expect those doing business with organizations that don't act in good faith to continue to demand a premium to be paid to make up for the uncertainty, whether in terms of a lighter protection (as in Dallas case), or a prolonged period to convey as in Portland's case (the pick they sent to Chicago in the Larry Nance trade was a '23 FRP protected through '28 -SIX YEARS!!!-).
    Portland also has one of those eternal picks hanging out there from a trade with Chicago in 2021. It has 5 more years at 1-14 protection, and I think one or maybe two years have already elapsed. This is a clinic on how to make sure you never get in on any blockbuster trades, because your pick is tied up for more than a half decade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be interesting to have a look on brooklyn playing b2b against indy and us tomorrow, they're not that far ahead of toronto.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if memphis beats okc,i will be mind blown.We should of thrown big money at their coach and scouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we're going to fall to the 7 pick, enabling TOR to end up 6, and this place is going to lose its collective minds on May 12th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we're going to fall to the 7 pick, enabling TOR to end up 6, and this place is going to lose its collective minds on May 12th.
    Nothing matters until after the lottery. Final finish is irrelevant. People need to stop losing their after every game.

Thread Information