Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly who cares about RotY. He'll get it or he won't. I'd rather him focus 100% on developing his game to the next level so he can win MVPs.

1 MVP is worth a decade of RotY awards.
    He wants it because his goal is to outdo Jordan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly who cares about RotY. He'll get it or he won't. I'd rather him focus 100% on developing his game to the next level so he can win MVPs.

1 MVP is worth a decade of RotY awards.
    They aren't mutally exclusive, tbh. In fact, if you win RoY, you have more chances of winning MVP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gee, it's almost like he's not a rookie.
    Sure he is

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than the whole extra year of prep, he's exactly the same.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh this is the first season he has played a game. He's a rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They aren't mutally exclusive, tbh. In fact, if you win RoY, you have more chances of winning MVP.
    Malcolm Brogdon, Michael Carter-Williams, Ben Simmons, and Andrew Wiggins were all ROTY, and none of them will ever sniff a MVP award. If Chet wins, you can add him to that list, because in a year or two, there will be many voters who would want their pick back, and that colors future award votes. I’ve said it before: Chet will be very, very, good but his misfortune will come in the form of being Dominique Wilkins to Wemby’s MJ. He’ll be overshadowed and outplayed head to head over the course of their careers. Dominique is in the HOF and on the 75th anniversary team, and no one ever considered him to be the best player in the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Wemby were not in the league, Chet would be the hands down ROY.

It might get pretty tight between them by season's end, but, I still have my $ on Wemby.

Chet is getting wins, though. That may very well help to mold him and could influence the outcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It might get pretty tight between them by season's end, but, I still have my $ on Wemby.

Chet is getting wins, though. That may very well help to mold him and could influence the outcome.
    Most ROY are high picks on teams. Winning isn’t a criteria like it is for MVP.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet is doing a good job being a Robin to SGA’s Batman. The guy is playing with an MVP candidate.
    Expectations for Wemby is to carry a franchise and the league to an extent. The national media has already turned their attention to how awful this Spurs roster/players around him are. There is context.

Anyway, it’s only been 13 games. Chet probably wins rookie of the month though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’m not sure Chet is “getting wins”, if anyone on that team is “getting wins” it’s SGA

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sure Chet is “getting wins”, if anyone on that team is “getting wins” it’s SGA
    36 and 10 with the three to force OT in Golden State I'd consider getting a win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malcolm Brogdon, Michael Carter-Williams, Ben Simmons, and Andrew Wiggins were all ROTY, and none of them will ever sniff a MVP award. If Chet wins, you can add him to that list, because in a year or two, there will be many voters who would want their pick back, and that colors future award votes. I’ve said it before: Chet will be very, very, good but his misfortune will come in the form of being Dominique Wilkins to Wemby’s MJ. He’ll be overshadowed and outplayed head to head over the course of their careers. Dominique is in the HOF and on the 75th anniversary team, and no one ever considered him to be the best player in the game.
    Chet looks like a great player but it's hard to see him in his current state leading a franchise. But who knows? He's very young and his game is already polished.

That's true for most players. Wemby isn't most players. There's no blueprint for this kid, he doesn't need to "earn" minutes like most rookies do, and the Spurs aren't worried about winning with him now, so they're choosing to take a much longer route to develop all of his skills rather than just focusing on what he can do now to win games.

When Jordan came into the league, he had just signed a massive deal with Nike, the Bulls were one of the worst franchises in the NBA, and he had to perform.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Victor cares...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Victor cares...
    Well then he can turn the ball over less and stop taking hurried 3s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting, so u attribute those TOs and bad shots to his unwilligness to get the ROTY?

Let's stop mixing correlation and causation mate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    36 and 10 with the three to force OT in Golden State I'd consider getting a win.
    Great game, no doubt, Wemby has had similar moments this season. Night in and night out, SGA has been an MVP candidate. He’s 3rd or something ridiculous in WS and PER in the league. The Spurs fell to his play not Chet’s. Is Chet even in the position to win games without SGA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Vic would look a lot better with Josh Giddey passing him the ball and SGA taking attention off of him on offense. Not to mention solid starters in Williams and Dort

Chet has played very well to start the season but considering his role and the fact that he's not actually a rookie I don't see how he has a better case than Wemby. Vic has to carry an entire team of bums on both sides of the court. Chet is like the 3rd or 4th option on O

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Chet would be doing just as well on the Spurs with this lineup and Coach Re .

Likewise I'm sure Wemby would be struggling mightily with SGA etc and the competent coaches on OKC.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

From 19'11

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach Harper summs up perfectly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure there are a total of zero GMs who would take Chet over Wemby if given the choice, but that doesn't mean Chet isn't also awesome.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet looks like a great player but it's hard to see him in his current state leading a franchise. But who knows? He's very young and his game is already polished.

That's true for most players. Wemby isn't most players. There's no blueprint for this kid, he doesn't need to "earn" minutes like most rookies do, and the Spurs aren't worried about winning with him now, so they're choosing to take a much longer route to develop all of his skills rather than just focusing on what he can do now to win games.

When Jordan came into the league, he had just signed a massive deal with Nike, the Bulls were one of the worst franchises in the NBA, and he had to perform.
    But Spurs aren't even attempting to try things with him... They're just watching him play pickup ball in the nba... They're not trying to see how he can do in a structured iso play... A structured screen play, etc

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, wrong thread, lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol prep. You mean a handful of summer league games where champ and Barlow were kobe and shaq, and a month of camp?

He’s never played an nba game before this year. Were Wembys years as a pro and playing in euro league considered prep? Was Manu not a rookie just because he was seasoned?

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stick a fork in the likelihood of this award.

Thread Information