Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does he take so many fall away turn around three pointers at 29% clip? That doesn’t seem like rookie of the year to me? He still is amazing like even in the Denver game he got like 6 steals and 4 blocks but that shot selection is total .
    The point is…HE HAS TO SELECT SHOTS. He’s not being spoon fed by an All NBA guard like Chet Homeless.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The shot selection is getting better. It will improve as he and his teammates get better at playing together. Too bad the coaches didn't focus on any of that before the actual season, but last night was much better. If they can avoid the big dips they have a chance of putting together a complete game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet has a better developed shot because he’s not a rookie. Injuries aside,’he’s been training and practicing with his team for a full year. He did not shoot like at Gonzaga.

It’s been 4 weeks. Anyone claiming who is or isn’t ROTY is a weirdo - this includes media.

Believe.
    Post Count
    The point is…HE HAS TO SELECT SHOTS. He’s not being spoon fed by an All NBA guard like Chet Homeless.
    lol okay so I’ve watched every spurs game and every okc game for reference. Shai is a scorer, almost with Kobe-esque blinders. Which is fine. But the number of times he looks off an open Chet at the three or doesn’t make that lob pass in the pick and roll is absolutely mind blowing.

what I’m saying is that Chet is low on the totem poll too and he’s really only been able to make these strides cause of injuries such as when Shai or JDub are out. The way he plays with his efficiency he would probably average 25 if they actually looked for him at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As of now, Vic is leading all rookies in points, rebounds, blocks and steals. Can't imagine anyone can overlook that tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it was Holmgren to the Spurs and Wembanyama to OKC, Chet would be struggling just like Victor is, trying to create his own shoot. And Wembanyama would be putting awesome numbers with good percentages, just like Holmgren is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet has a better developed shot because he’s not a rookie. Injuries aside,’he’s been training and practicing with his team for a full year. He did not shoot like at Gonzaga.

It’s been 4 weeks. Anyone claiming who is or isn’t ROTY is a weirdo - this includes media.
    Chet had 39% at Gonzaga
    Victor had 27% in Mets 92

do you really not see the difference?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The shot selection is getting better. It will improve as he and his teammates get better at playing together. Too bad the coaches didn't focus on any of that before the actual season, but last night was much better. If they can avoid the big dips they have a chance of putting together a complete game.
    Will GOAT CIA Pop pick up on any of these super obvious strategies before Wamas 4 year rookie contract is up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet had 39% at Gonzaga

No.
    Could you break it down for us?

As of now, Vic is leading all rookies in points, rebounds, blocks and steals. Can't imagine anyone can overlook that tbh.

If it was Holmgren to the Spurs and Wembanyama to OKC, Chet would be struggling just like Victor is, trying to create his own shoot. And Wembanyama would be putting awesome numbers with good percentages, just like Holmgren is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I have always been confident about the Spurs FO is their ability to develop players. All the way back to Parker, Ginobili, and Kawhi, to Keldon Johnson, Dejounte Murray and Derrick White, these players have significantly out performed their draft positions. Obviously not every single pick is a home run, but the overall returns are significantly better than almost every single team out there. There may be teams that have hit it big with later picks (Denver with Jokic, Bucks with Antetekoumpo, or even GSW with Curry/Klay/Draymond), but there aren't really a team that was able to do it so consistently over such a long period of time. Most of it really is about the development of players.

The only concerns are that that the Spurs had that going for them because 1) they draft late, and drafting late means they can focus on need that fit into a narrow list of requirements the team are looking for, which in other words, the Spurs can look for very specific types of players who fit in their system and develop those particular skills and little else, and 2) the ones doing that drafting and development are no longer with the organization.

I am still quite confident that Wemby will meet the enormous hype, and Vassell and Sochan will become productive players in this league. I still see a great amount of potential with Malaki Branham and think he can at least develop into a solid starter/sixth man type role.

Wemby, regardless of whether he gets RoTY, will end up being a better player than Chet. I am pretty sure of that. But as of right now, it's really hard to watch as it appears the team is doing nothing and going no where.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Wemby, regardless of whether he gets RoTY, will end up being a better player than Chet. I am pretty sure of that. But as of right now, it's really hard to watch as it appears the team is doing nothing and going no where.
    This is the really sad thing. They are so bad and non-compe ive it’s getting hard to even watch the games. I don’t know how much longer I can do it. I love watching Wemby but everything else about the spurs is beyond pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet had 39% at Gonzaga

Do you think both lines are the same distance from the basket? Do you think that a professional league is the same level of talent as a mid major conference? Do you really not see the difference?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has definitely been a backlash against Wemby due to his hype. The idea that Chet is somehow miles better than him is just amazing to me considering the context of the teams around each player. Furthermore, even with that context, the sheer impact Wemby has on defense is WAY more than Chet's individual impact on an OKC defense. Its not that Chet is bad at D - far from it - but Wemby is singlehandedly changing the way teams play when he is on the court. Considering how little help he's getting from his team and from his coaches right now, he's improving at a great rate and he's already VERY ing good. Fine, one month into the season Chet is the leader for ROY but as others have said I don't think there's many NBA GMs that would rather have Chet on their team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a huge fan, but I don't ever expect Wembanyama to be an elite 3 pt shooter percentage-wise. Three years of data from Europe and this season's small sample size show him to be pretty consistently just below 30% from that distance. His FT% has improved over time, so that's a good sign, and I'd expect his 3pt% to improve... I'd be happy with a consistent 35%. For a guy who will likely be a 20+/10+ guy who also leads the league in stocks, that'd be a major accomplishment. If he someday becomes a 38-40% guy from three, it'd be incredible-- I just wouldn't bet on it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...banyama-1.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...wembavi01.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh who cares if he wins ROTY or not. I guarantee that Presti would trade Chet and his warchest of picks for Wemby every day of the week if he could

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a huge fan, but I don't ever expect Wembanyama to be an elite 3 pt shooter percentage-wise. Three years of data from Europe and this season's small sample size show him to be pretty consistently just below 30% from that distance. His FT% has improved over time, so that's a good sign, and I'd expect his 3pt% to improve... I'd be happy with a consistent 35%. For a guy who will likely be a 20+/10+ guy who also leads the league in stocks, that'd be a major accomplishment. If he someday becomes a 38-40% guy from three, it'd be incredible-- I just wouldn't bet on it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...banyama-1.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...wembavi01.html
    35% would be just fine. LeBron is 34.5% for his career.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD averaged 28.8% on 3s his rookie season, Luka 32%

Victor will be fine with better shot selection and training

Could even be scary long term

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont think he'd be as good from 3, but he'd be north of 30%

chet was making near 40% of them at gonzaga. wemby had always hung around 30% at best

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh who cares if he wins ROTY or not. I guarantee that Presti would trade Chet and his warchest of picks for Wemby every day of the week if he could
    I know Wemby definitely cares about it, and if PATFO cost him the award, I can almost guarantee that he'll resent them for it. He's made it clear that he wants that award.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know Wemby definitely cares about it, and if PATFO cost him the award, I can almost guarantee that he'll resent them for it. He's made it clear that he wants that award.
    Link? I don't remember him saying that winning ROY is a big deal to him. I mean would we look at Tim's career any differently if he didn't win ROY? I don't think it's a huge deal tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link? I don't remember him saying that winning ROY is a big deal to him. I mean would we look at Tim's career any differently if he didn't win ROY? I don't think it's a huge deal tbh
    You can go back and listen to press conferences from before the season started, especially from around the time when the league announced the 65-game minimum to qualify for awards. If I wasn't at work right now, I would pull that up for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Find me a video or a link to this. I’ve followed him pretty closely,and the only thing he wants badly is to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can go back and listen to press conferences from before the season started, especially from around the time when the league announced the 65-game minimum to qualify for awards. If I wasn't at work right now, I would pull that up for you.
    Or,you can backup your statement.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone saw Chet vs the Wolves?

Aside of a late (open of course) 3 he had a garbage game when Victor put 29/9rb/4blk

And ANT wasnt playing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Find me a video or a link to this. I’ve followed him pretty closely,and the only thing he wants badly is to win.
    Like I told the other guy, I'll have to do it when I'm not at work. Of course he wants to win. He also said he wanted to be the best #1 pick ever.
    Last edited by Thomas82; 11-29-2023 at 12:23 AM.

Thread Information