Page 8 of 245 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had 3 first rounders in 2022 and they all suck. Building through the draft is not the Spurs MO. they are horrible at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isaiah Collier should be the target if the team continues to perform as poorly as it has this year. If the team finally picks up its play and performs to expectations, it ought be Tyrese Proctor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Latest Game Theory with Sam Vecenie podcast is the first mock draft of the year, going to have to listen to it now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs pick should be top 6 pick. It will depend on the draft lottery in May.
    Raptors are 5-7. They should end up between 7th and 11th in the east. Their pick should be in the 9th to 18th range.
    Spurs shouldn't get Hornets pick.

A surprise of college basketball is Carlton Carrington. He is a freshman 6'5" PG who has had a great start of the season with Pittsburgh. They have only played 4 games, so sample size is too small, but he is looking good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, he is on my radar - but crazy he is not even on Tankathon as a top 60 - A couple of other PG are putting up good numbers and will be keeping an eye on;

PG:
    Kylan Boswell 6'2 - Arizona - Had a good game against Duke - I like that he seems to have good vision and fights for rebounds - as a Sop re he is still only 18 years old
    Rob Dillingham - 6'3 - Kentucky - Nice numbers want to see how he plays against better compe ion

Picks 1- 10 - Will still have Isaiah Collier, Stephon Castle, and Nikola Topic

One a side note Turkish Forward - Berke Buyuktuncel has just been cleared to play for UCLA will have to catch his first game
    Last edited by BackHome; 11-19-2023 at 05:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deep draft at PG at least. Pretty flat draft overall which is why I'm confused but the "old man is tanking" bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deep draft at PG at least. Pretty flat draft overall which is why I'm confused but the "old man is tanking" bull
    It’s a draft with a BUNCH of PGs at various points in the draft. Isn’t everyone whining about Sochan playing point?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty good draft I think for PG and Centers the one position probably the weakest is SG..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a draft with a BUNCH of PGs at various points in the draft. Isn’t everyone whining about Sochan playing point?
    Exactly which is why "tanking" for a top 3 pick doesn't make much sense when I don't think there's a lot of difference between picks 1-10 in this draft from a talent perspective

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly which is why "tanking" for a top 3 pick doesn't make much sense when I don't think there's a lot of difference between picks 1-10 in this draft from a talent perspective
    Well, not to belabor the obvious, but the PGs in the top 5 would be better than those from 6-10, or 11-15. It’s just a good thing that we should be able to fill a position of need without reaching, wherever we land.

Oh,and even though you can’t see it now, historically, there is a HUGE drop off after pick 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Echoing Vassell, this team will be a very different team in 35th, 40th, 50th game. I’m sure he is echoing the Coaches as he said that. I’m saying it’s a soft tank and could be a top 10 pick instead of top 5, unless they trade up. Personally I’d prefer a more polished PG besides Wemby, through a trade, and a top 10 PG as understudy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Pop thought he'll get another top 5 pick. He really thought this was gonna work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Pop thought he'll get another top 5 pick. He really thought this was gonna work
    Not getting a true PG in the off-season and experimenting on Sochan, I’m sure Pop already knew. He didn’t want to get even a George Hill so there is no excuse it would be Sochan at PG this season. Pop is playing chess with 25 moves ahead while a lot of us, including many ST GM’s here, are playing checkers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not getting a true PG in the off-season and experimenting on Sochan, I’m sure Pop already knew. He didn’t want to get even a George Hill so there is no excuse it would be Sochan at PG this season. Pop is playing chess with 25 moves ahead while a lot of us, including many ST GM’s here, are playing checkers.
    that would mean he was lying when he said wins and defense matter. So do you think he was lying?

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Echoing Vassell, this team will be a very different team in 35th, 40th, 50th game. I’m sure he is echoing the Coaches as he said that. I’m saying it’s a soft tank and could be a top 10 pick instead of top 5, unless they trade up. Personally I’d prefer a more polished PG besides Wemby, through a trade, and a top 10 PG as understudy.
    This is my preference as well. Veteran pg’s are kind of a commodity these days. With most of the better ones hooking up with legitimate contenders or those getting close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would mean he was lying when he said wins and defense matter. So do you think he was lying?
    I don’t remember Pop saying wins. He’s never like that even during championship years. He would DNP and rest players to prepare for the long haul and the playoffs. Defense yes! And as long as they compete. His answer at a sideline interview when asked how how he prepares for this group, his answer was he could only expect so much from what they could do but as long as they are competing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop clearly emphasized on the need to WIN this season.

Check his pre season interviews

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no stud 2 way wing in this draft (I am not impressed by Holland so far) who can serve as a point of attack defender and primary initiator (apex wing ala Tatum, Jimmy etc.). Short of that, you go for the best primary initiator you can.

Topic gives you size, rim pressure, decent shooting signal, and is probably the best offensive creator in the draft. His negative is that he sucks on defense, dies on every screen, and plays like he doesn't care on the defensive end. As Vassell is already a weak man-to-man defender, you're going to have a bad defensive backcourt necessitating a big wing point of attack defender ala McDaniels/Anunoby. But he has good size so maybe he turns into a passable defender ala Jamal Murray down the road.

Castle gives you elite size, good to great athleticism, and good to great defense. His negative is that he has a questionable jump shot and probably isn't a primary initiator and works best as a secondary initiator, meaning that you're going to have to rely on Wemby to create more offense on his own in addition to his defensive responsibilities.

Don't know enough about Carrington but he has promise. Let's see if his hot start continues.

Not impressed with Collier so far. Seems like he turns it over a ton and excels more in the open court, whereas I'd be looking more for a half court creator.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the way UCONN is coached and the way they stress defense.
    They were at another level defensivly during the tournament.

So Castle will come into the league as a solid defender and his athleticism gives him ability as a finisher and breaking down a defense to create his own offense.

This is were the Spurs are very weak offensively, they are limited athletically as a team, with a team full of players who have to pull up for jump shots, they take jump shots on fast breaks, because they aren't quick enough to beat their man to the basket and are poor finishers at the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the way UCONN is coached and the way they stress defense.
    They were at another level defensivly during the tournament.

So Castle will come into the league as a solid defender and his athleticism gives him ability as a finisher and breaking down a defense to create his own offense.

This is were the Spurs are very weak offensively, they are limited athletically as a team, with a team full of players who have to pull up for jump shots, they take jump shots on fast breaks, because they aren't quick enough to beat their man to the basket and are poor finishers at the rim.
    You really need to read and watch more on him. He’s not that guy. He’s much closer to Kyle Anderson than Kyrie Irving, using high level ball handing and great footwork more than quickness.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really need to read and watch more on him. He’s not that guy. He’s much closer to Kyle Anderson than Kyrie Irving, using high level ball handing and great footwork more than quickness.
    You have lousy takes on player evaluations. You like the unathletic types.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Anderson was pick 30 and wasn't any good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have lousy takes on player evaluations. You like the unathletic types.
    Might be more accurate to say high BBIQ >> low BBIQ w athleticism.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be more accurate to say high BBIQ >> low BBIQ w athleticism.
    It's stupid to think because a player has good athleticism then he has to have poor BBIQ. Castle plays for UCONN and they are one of the best coached teams in college basketball. I don't see a player with poor BBIQ running pg for UCONN.
    Castle is already projected in the top 5.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hoping Toronto pick conveys so we can get a PG and Center.

Thread Information