Page 14 of 245 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Vassell profiles as a tough shot maker, spacer, and movement shooter. Regarding Wemby, I don't actually want him being an offensive engine moving forward. To me, his offensive game should look more similar to a post-Achilles Durant with maybe not quite the same perimeter shot diet, i.e. maximizing his size mismatch, catch the ball in good position, only a few dribbles, and economy of movement. I want him using most of his energy on the defensive end whether that's as a rim protector or a one man zone. Because of that, my priority is to find an offensive engine even if I'm giving up something on the defensive end.

I'm obviously heavily biased toward topic, as I think his vision and half-court playmaking is superior to anyone else in the draft. Prior concerns about his ability to finishing against athleticism is a good one, but I'm more reassured by the fact that he's doing what he's doing while being the youngest player in next year's draft. He's the same age as many high school seniors right now so I have to believe that his finishing will get even better as he gets stronger, with any outside shot that he grows more moving forward. I also prefer guys who can create in the half court over guys who excel in transition as that style is more conducive to a playoff environment. I would be interested to see how Topic plays the rest of the season as especially in the last 1-2 games he seems to have made a more conscious effort to focus on defense. Potentially he is the only guy in the draft who I can see can potentially develop into an offensive engine ala Haliburton, Trae Young, SGA (on offense), etc. Guys like Castle might profile as being more well rounded but I don't think that does as much to maximize Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing Topic will continue to rise in mocks, and Ryan Dunn will stay near the end of the lottery because he won't have flashy offensive stats-- even if he were to continue in the vein he is now, having historically great defensive showings & advanced stats. It's early of course, but landing those two is looking like a nice combo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing Topic will continue to rise in mocks, and Ryan Dunn will stay near the end of the lottery because he won't have flashy offensive stats-- even if he were to continue in the vein he is now, having historically great defensive showings & advanced stats. It's early of course, but landing those two is looking like a nice combo.
    Dunn has more stocks than Thuybulle did his draft year, is 3 years younger and has a rudimentary offensive game. He’s a guy I’d want with the Toronto pick, assuming he doesn’t suddenly manifest high level shooting and jump into the top 5.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with waiting until the raptors pick to try and pick up a forward. Great wing defenders seem to be interspersed throughout the draft and have not usually been taken early. If you take a list of the types of players that would be best for the Spurs at the forward position, none of them were drafted very high I think. Off the top of my head, you have McDaniels (28th), Anunoby (23rd), Dillon Brooks (45th), Jeremi Grant (39th). Spurs are going to be so hot after Risacher in the top 5 (young, french, 6'10", shoots the 3 well, good POA defense) and might think they can get a decent point guard like Proctor with the raptors pick but I think that's the opposite approach of what I'd go with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we need another Centre more than a pg.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Pop must got his eyes on a few players:

Shameless tanking and Adam Silver won't do about it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could be worse just look at the Pistons they are on a 16 game loss streak - Which shows when you start picking high draft picks you just don't turn it around in one year.

2021 Number 1 Draft Pick - Cade Cunningham
    2022 Number 5 Draft Pick - Jaden Ivey
    2023 Number 5 Draft Pick - Ausur Thompson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic looks like an unholy cross between Manu Ginobili and Josh Giddey.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more i watch film of Dunn the more I like him. One other consideration for drafting him is that given his size (6'8", 7'1" wingspan), athleticism, and positioning, he might be one of the few guys who can keep up with guys like SGA, Tatum, and Luka moving forward. A lineup of Topic, Vassell, Dunn, Sochan, Wemby gives you 5 guys with 7 foot + wingspans with 3 plus defenders, and rim pressure. This lineup really depends on shooting development but could be monstrous both offensively and defensively.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ that would we an interesting starting 5, but they’d need one of Sochan or Dunn not to be liabilities on offense from long range. Sochan looks like he’s on the right path though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aint nobody trying to be number 1 in this draft it seems...Still early,But nobody standing out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far this season, we have yet to solve one of our biggest issues from the previous few years, defensive rebounding. We give up way too many offensive rebounds and second chance points.

I really like Tre Jones at PG, especially with Wemby. Still, we probably need a starting PG with Tre coming off the bench.

So, in this draft, we need to find our franchise PG and a player or two who can crash the boards, especially on the defensive end.

I am not sure who to take at PG. However, in the 2nd round I would like to get SF Dillon Jones - Weber St. and C Zach Edey - Purdue. Both of these players are outstanding rebounders. Also, by getting Edey, we could always have a 7'4 player on the floor. Edey is more of a traditional low post player, whereas Wemby plays more like a G/F. Imagine the possibilities of the two-man game of Wemby and Edey.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far this season, we have yet to solve one of our biggest issues from the previous few years, defensive rebounding. We give up way too many offensive rebounds and second chance points.

I really like Tre Jones at PG, especially with Wemby. Still, we probably need a starting PG with Tre coming off the bench.

So, in this draft, we need to find our franchise PG and a player or two who can crash the boards, especially on the defensive end.

I am not sure who to take at PG. However, in the 2nd round I would like to get SF Dillon Jones - Weber St. and C Zach Edey - Purdue. Both of these players are outstanding rebounders. Also, by getting Edey, we could always have a 7'4 player on the floor. Edey is more of a traditional low post player, whereas Wemby plays more like a G/F. Imagine the possibilities of the two-man game of Wemby and Edey.
    No awkward white centers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No awkward white centers.
    He actually looks kind of Asian, which wouldn’t be a surprise, him being from Canada. He’s a ing beast, and goes to the line TWELVE times per game. Harden has never gone to the line 12 times per game.. He’s not a stiff, either. His lane agility time was better than Kobe Bufkin’s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ He's clearly biracial (Asian/white).

I don't get the continued fascination so many have with traditional C's. This team just lucked into the best C prospect in 26 years. The goal should be to get to Wembanyama at C more frequently as time goes by, while limiting Collins' minutes. Bassey and Barlow provide fine depth/upside.

Spurs are going to be so hot after Risacher in the top 5 (young, french, 6'10", shoots the 3 well, good POA defense) and might think they can get a decent point guard like Proctor with the raptors pick but I think that's the opposite approach of what I'd go with.
    Yeah. As much as they need a primary creator on the perimeter, if they're not sold on the two that look like they have a chance to be that at the moment, Collier (doesn't seem Spurs "material"), or Topic (at least with their initial pick), they shouldn't force it.

Wing/forward continues to be a significant area of need too and if they go the route you outlined, they can always still make a play for a veteran stopgap lead guard (I've mentioned Quickley ad nauseam).

Whatever they do, 3-point shooting and rim pressure need to be the priority. No more expending assets on players who provide neither.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He actually looks kind of Asian, which wouldn’t be a surprise, him being from Canada. He’s a ing beast, and goes to the line TWELVE times per game. Harden has never gone to the line 12 times per game.. He’s not a stiff, either. His lane agility time was better than Kobe Bufkin’s.
    If he's so great why isn't he projected a lottery pick? I've seen many tall white centers bust in the NBA.

Don't want to see the Spurs waste a pick on one.

He looks awkward to me. Only has a hook shot close to the rim. Can shoot over small college players. Plays stiff
    Last edited by rascal; 12-03-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's so great why isn't he projected a lottery pick? I've seen many tall white centers bust in the NBA.

Don't want to see the Spurs waste a pick on one.
    Why one should rarely speak in absolutes: The best player in the league wasn't a projected or actual lottery pick and is a white center.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why one should rarely speak in absolutes: The best player in the league wasn't a projected or actual lottery pick and is a white center.
    I wouldn't count on it.

Edey is one of the guys who’s game is great for college but won’t translate well to the NBA. There have been many players like that.

Edey also isn’t that athletic or skilled. The guy is just huge that he can dominate a lot of other college players, that won’t be the case in the NBA.
    Last edited by rascal; 12-03-2023 at 06:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't count on it.

Edey is one of the guys who’s game is great for college but won’t translate well to the NBA. There have been many players like that.

Edey also isn’t that athletic or skilled. The guy is just huge that he can dominate a lot of other college players, that won’t be the case in the NBA.
    He’s huge by NBA standards, 7’4”, no shoes, 7’10” wingspan.

It’s also barely December. Last year at this time, Anthony Black wasn’t in the Lottery, and Taylor Hendricks wasn’t projected in the first round. They were drafted #6 and #9.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s the latest on Zaccharie Risacher? He dipped there for a while, but I’m seeing him back in the Top 5 in the most recent mocks. I don’t know much about his game.

The more I think of it, the prototypical player next to Wemby and Sochan in the front court is Jabari Smith. Knock down shooter, size, who doesn’t need to have the ball, and supplies good defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is terrible in regards to rebounding, defense, offense - so what does this mean? It means that we are FAR FAR away from being a Championship contender. Only three players will probably be with us three years from now..Wemby, Sochan, and Vassell. Every other player and position will be replaced with hopefully a better version.

The hardest part of this draft is figuring out if the Spurs want Wemby to play Center or do they want to continue to use him as a PF? After that it is figuring out what players will fit it with Wemby play style and work well with him in a team environment.

I think everyone can agree that going forward Socahn is not going to be the PG so for me I want someone who can dish, can play defense, rebound, and shoot the 3 ball:

Castle: He is a two guard, has great handles, can play good defense, rebound has good court vision, and gets to the line a lot. He is not super athletic and needs to work on his 3 ball but he is a 80% FT. I was just thinking that pairing him with a second pick of Reed Sheppard would be pretty nice as Sheppard give you another ball handler who plays tough defense and is a lights out 3 point shooter they can easily switch on defense

Topic: Starting to warm up to him as what he is doing with his team is pretty incredible for his age and I saw one video which said he is 6'6 with a 7'0 wingspan if that is true then that changes things for me. He is easily the best PG of the draft as far as on the offensive side as I think he has the best assist ration right now of any player in college or NBA - It's his defense that is the question but offense wins games in this era. I think if you go with Topic then definitely probably need to go with Ryan Dunn to help on D and Topic would definitely feed him easy baskets with his athleticism

Carrington: Another two guard who is probably the most athletic can do a little bit of everything

Ja'Kobe Walter: A SG who I think can be very good his offense easily translates to NBA his only issue is court vision and passing a little bit more but I think he might go top 5

I don't have a clue on Holland nor Buzelis as one has high potential but is playing terrible the other one just had his first game not to bad stat wise coming back from an injury? The same for Risacher a SF playing in France

Some other players I like would be:

Cody Williams SF
    Aaron Bradshaw C
    Wooga Poplar SG

Someone I am curious is Trentyn Flowers 6'9 SG anybody follow him in the NBL league?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is terrible in regards to rebounding, defense, offense - so what does this mean? It means that we are FAR FAR away from being a Championship contender. Only three players will probably be with us three years from now..Wemby, Sochan, and Vassell. Every other player and position will be replaced with hopefully a better version.

The hardest part of this draft is figuring out if the Spurs want Wemby to play Center or do they want to continue to use him as a PF? After that it is figuring out what players will fit it with Wemby play style and work well with him in a team environment.

I think everyone can agree that going forward Socahn is not going to be the PG so for me I want someone who can dish, can play defense, rebound, and shoot the 3 ball:

Castle: He is a two guard, has great handles, can play good defense, rebound has good court vision, and gets to the line a lot. He is not super athletic and needs to work on his 3 ball but he is a 80% FT. I was just thinking that pairing him with a second pick of Reed Sheppard would be pretty nice as Sheppard give you another ball handler who plays tough defense and is a lights out 3 point shooter they can easily switch on defense

Topic: Starting to warm up to him as what he is doing with his team is pretty incredible for his age and I saw one video which said he is 6'6 with a 7'0 wingspan if that is true then that changes things for me. He is easily the best PG of the draft as far as on the offensive side as I think he has the best assist ration right now of any player in college or NBA - It's his defense that is the question but offense wins games in this era. I think if you go with Topic then definitely probably need to go with Ryan Dunn to help on D and Topic would definitely feed him easy baskets with his athleticism

Carrington: Another two guard who is probably the most athletic can do a little bit of everything

Ja'Kobe Walter: A SG who I think can be very good his offense easily translates to NBA his only issue is court vision and passing a little bit more but I think he might go top 5

I don't have a clue on Holland nor Buzelis as one has high potential but is playing terrible the other one just had his first game not to bad stat wise coming back from an injury? The same for Risacher a SF playing in France

Cody Williams SF
    Aaron Bradshaw C
    Wooga Poplar SG

Someone I am curious is Trentyn Flowers 6'9 SG anybody follow him in the NBL league?
    topic with wemby and bradshaw would be a lob fest

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s the latest on Zaccharie Risacher? He dipped there for a while, but I’m seeing him back in the Top 5 in the most recent mocks. I don’t know much about his game.

The more I think of it, the prototypical player next to Wemby and Sochan in the front court is Jabari Smith. Knock down shooter, size, who doesn’t need to have the ball, and supplies good defense.
    Risacher is interesting. He sucked hard in FIBA U19 and his draft stock tanked. However, this year in Eurocup he's been knocking down threes and playing good defense. I personally think that drafting him is a trap. He still has a relatively low free throw %, but even more importantly he has thus far shown no evidence of offensive self creation. He'll probably be a decent player down the road as a 3 and D guy, but he's always going to be drafted way higher than he should because of his 3 point percentage, youth, and measurables. I think top 5 picks should be reserved for offensive engines and guys with self creation, as well as true potential game changers and I don't see that for him. Would rather take the bet on Dunn 10-15 spots back who gives you outlier level defense, better rebounding, and a similar free throw percentage this year albeit 2 years older and use your own pick on Topic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cody Williams SF
    Aaron Bradshaw C
    Wooga Poplar SG

We are definitely on the same page with many of these prospects. I am pretty high on Sheppard, but I view him 6th man who can play on ball or off ball on a great team, someone who offers a more well rounded package ideally next to a big creator compared to a guy like Branham who's giving you no 3 point shooting and no defense. I agree though that if Topic is not an option with your first pick, pairing Castle with Sheppard as your sixth man does make some sense on paper. I don't have a great handle on Castle yet, in the few games he did play, UConn didn't really have him initiate in the half court so I'm not sure yet of his abilities as an advantage creator. If he ends up playing more like a wing with only secondary creator abilities, that's probably making Wemby use more energy on offense than I'd like.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s huge by NBA standards, 7’4”, no shoes, 7’10” wingspan.

It’s also barely December. Last year at this time, Anthony Black wasn’t in the Lottery, and Taylor Hendricks wasn’t projected in the first round. They were drafted #6 and #9.
    That doesn't mean Edey will be a top ten draft pick. At the moment scouts don't like his game.

Too slow and game not expected to translate to the NBA. Looks awkward and mechanical in movements to me. Spurs need to get more athletic not less athletic.
    Last edited by rascal; 12-03-2023 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Information