Page 104 of 246 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 6126
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This 'discussion' is clinically idiotic.
    The discussion wasn't "do the Spurs need a traditional PG?", in fact there was no discussion. You said Pop only tried a non-PG at PG once, so I went and mentioned some of the other examples of Pop playing non-PGs at PG out of respect for the truth. It wouldn't have got to this point if you and exstatic would have accepted this pretty agreeable fact among Spurs fans, tbh.
    Last edited by DAF86; 02-26-2024 at 07:31 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can go back to Point Neal and Point Mason Jr. as well, I don't even know what the Sniff Crew is on today
    Forgot about Mason

Neal get some spot minutes at point guard also? Forgot that too

The list never ends

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal would get some minutes at the point though most of those had manu babysitting

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Locked on Thunder Podcast Host”s Evaluation of Reed Sheppard. Just a thought: Scary to have Reed and SGA on the same team vice Josh Giddey. Toronto Pick please,https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfee...uard-prospects
    Last edited by alfahdlan; 02-27-2024 at 08:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Locked on Thunder Podcast Host”s Evaluation of Reed Sheppard. Just a thought: Scary to have Reed and SGA on the same team vice Josh Giddey. Toronto Pick please,https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfee...uard-prospects
    Sheppard projects as a championship level role player. Derrick White lite. Having Wemby, drafting a championship level role player might actually be better than a flawed star, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard projects as a championship level role player. Derrick White lite. Having Wemby, drafting a championship level role player might actually be better than a flawed star, tbh.
    You hit it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see how we don’t take Dilly. We have nobody who can consistently get to the rim. Nobody who can create for others. And nobody who can create for themself smartly while being able to shoot open shots. Size be damned he is everything we are in need of and really is the BPA. White guards defense never translates to the nba

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard is a good defender. Dillingham is an awful defender. Opponents constantly attack him and it's a problem. Has nothing to do with race, just a fact. Dillingham is more shifty and has better shot creation, however and is better on O overall even if Sheppard is a better 3 pt shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see how we don’t take Dilly. We have nobody who can consistently get to the rim. Nobody who can create for others. And nobody who can create for themself smartly while being able to shoot open shots. Size be damned he is everything we are in need of and really is the BPA. White guards defense never translates to the nba
    That's racist as , tbh.

Also:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That said, I would also pick Dillingham over Sheppard. But I would be fine with either one. Risacher, Dillingham and Sheppard, on that order, are my picks so far.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's Johnny Furphy counting and advanced stats versus Cody Williams.

https://tankathon.com/players/compar...-cody-williams

He's just straight up a better player, period. They play similar roles on upperclassman-lead teams, low usage. Williams shoots better, but I don't totally believe in it. (Although he's very good.) Meanwhile, the Furph gets twice as many rebounds, is a better defender, etc. etc. Like, one just stands around thinking about his successful brother and the other just hustles and plays. Stats include half the season before Furphy blew up, btw.
    I caught Furphy live and in person on Saturday in Lawrence against Texas. He's a good player, but he's not asked to initiate much on a team that is otherwise very talented. They played through their center mostly and around their PG. That said, he's good at fitting in and affecting the game without otherwise needing the ball in his hands. He looks like he's 12 years old. I guess the obvious comparison is Gradey from Kansas last year, but Furphy is bigger. He's like a bigger , so to speak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I caught Furphy live and in person on Saturday in Lawrence against Texas. He's a good player, but he's not asked to initiate much on a team that is otherwise very talented. They played through their center mostly and around their PG. That said, he's good at fitting in and affecting the game without otherwise needing the ball in his hands. He looks like he's 12 years old. I guess the obvious comparison is Gradey from Kansas last year, but Furphy is bigger. He's like a bigger , so to speak.
    Definitely. His usage is only 17%. He's popped for a veteran-heavy team where he replaced another player in the starting unit who just wasn't panning out. He doesn't have any offense run for him at all. His handles aren't great and he doesn't initiate much, but I feel like he has more than he's shown in games. He can do all that stuff. Still, he's effective in a peripheral role. He's a good shooter and cuts really well. Good athleticism and good size. And he rebounds the out of the ball versus his position. is a good comp. He's not quite the same shooter but perhaps a better defender - he needs work there, but is active - and does a lot of other things better.

I'm not quite sure what to make of him. Depends on what he's not able to show on that talent-heavy Kansas team. A high motor guy who makes good decisions, has room to grow, and bangs in shots. Right now I see more with him than Buzelis, tbh, whose possibilities seem more imaginary although their roles are very different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard and Dillingham are actually both pretty poor defenders. If you watch the games you'll see this. Both get blown by. The difference is Sheppard is a strong help defender... sometimes. He over-helps and ballhawks to positional detriment. I think both are poor in this regard because of poor coaching and both can improve. Will Dillingham ever be competent? ...Maybe? He's quick enough to stay with people, he just doesn't, and I chalk some of that up to lack of current ability and training. The effort is actually pretty good, it's unharnessed. Will he get punished on switches? Definitely. Do I think he has the at ude to work on his defense and improve? Yes.

What Reed Sheppard has is absolutely phenomenal hands. He gets deflections and rips extremely well in all varieties. As a man-to-man defender he's not as good as we think, although that can improve, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where I'm sitting now, unimportantly and who-cares-ish, is that this team badly, badly needs scoring. There are vast swaths of the game where only two guys on the floor can really get points, and it's Wemby and Vassell. Off the bench it's practically no one. It's almost accidental when the team makes runs. There's just no scoring threats.

I don't think this will happen, but at the possible detriment of defense, here's who I want with the two picks:

Rob Dillingham
    Dalton Knecht

Reasons? I am doubtful about the defense of most everyone in this lottery class. Wembanyama will cover a lot of mistakes and I think most of these players can improve. Where the team most stands to gain is getting up points and I think the offensive talents of these two guys are not only translatable, they'll translate quickly. Not a lot of 'woe is me, what do I do' with these guys. They're going to fire away and score.

As for Knecht, he's not optimal in terms of age or position. To me he's more of a shooting guard, but he can still slot into the starters instead of Vassell. His age is a concern... if you feel he has to develop for a long time. I don't think so. As for Dillingham, I think he's a bench guy, maybe more, but can super-jumpstart stagnant periods of the game and be a real threat. Defense a concern, yes, but a Wembanyama-Vassell-Sochan-Knecht-Dillingham lineup could be lethal. Yes, even with Sochan being a straw-stirrer rather than an outside threat. If Wemby is drawing multiple attention, you have three spot-ups who are significant knockdown threats and two of whom can be serious closeout threats, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs value size and I would think they would want Topic over the UK smurf.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That said, I would also pick Dillingham over Sheppard. But I would be fine with either one. Risacher, Dillingham and Sheppard, on that order, are my picks so far.
    I truly believe a this point that Spurs FO is tanking for Risacher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs value size and I would think they would want Topic over the UK smurf.
    They might draft Topic, but not because of size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I truly believe a this point that Spurs FO is tanking for Risacher.
    If they're strictly tanking for Risacher, that would suck. It's more that they just can't win games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs had plans on getting SF help via some other means this offseason (sign Tobias Harris, trade for Bridges, for example) then I wouldn't mind going Dilly/Sheppard (assuming our natural pick falls to 5 or 6... don't think it makes sense to take Dilly higher than that personally). I like the sound of "elite role player" if that's truly within Sheppard's reasonable range of outcomes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...47023254348249

Givony points out that 43% of the players drafted in the top 40 of 2020 and 2021 drafts have already been dumped by the team that drafted them.

"The NBA has become increasingly cutthroat with declining team options or waiving young players on rookie-scale deals. Thirty-four of the 80 players (43%) selected in the top 40 of the 2020 or 2021 NBA drafts already have been shown the door by the team that drafted them or were never signed to a standard NBA contract to begin with, with more players likely to see that fate this summer."

I hope we start seeing a market correction where the extraordinarily young and unprepared players coming out at 18 and 19 start developing elsewhere before going into the draft. We have way too many longshot, unlikely prospects reclassifying and going way too early. In the NBA, they don't get time to develop with time on the court and the G League frankly sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They might draft Topic, but not because of size.
    Why would they not factor size amongst many other factors in their evaluations?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...47023254348249

Givony points out that 43% of the players drafted in the top 40 of 2020 and 2021 drafts have already been dumped by the team that drafted them.

"The NBA has become increasingly cutthroat with declining team options or waiving young players on rookie-scale deals. Thirty-four of the 80 players (43%) selected in the top 40 of the 2020 or 2021 NBA drafts already have been shown the door by the team that drafted them or were never signed to a standard NBA contract to begin with, with more players likely to see that fate this summer."

I hope we start seeing a market correction where the extraordinarily young and unprepared players coming out at 18 and 19 start developing elsewhere before going into the draft. We have way too many longshot, unlikely prospects reclassifying and going way too early. In the NBA, they don't get time to develop with time on the court and the G League frankly sucks.
    the top 40 is a ty bias considering where our picks are slotted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the top 40 is a ty bias considering where our picks are slotted.
    Why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I know there are huge bumps in performance around the top ~3 and again at top ~8. It's been awhile since I looked at the data. Your essentially making a comment about our second round pick not being worth much which is not exactly news.

Thread Information