Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see why he shouldn’t start for next two years, especially if he starts hitting that corner 3.
    cause even with a 3-point shot he'd be the worst starting PG in the NBA?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cause even with a 3-point shot he'd be the worst starting PG in the NBA?
    Dumb

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy's been playing out of his mind since he got the starting nod. 13/7/4 on 60/40/100 splits. None of this is probably sustainable, but if his 3 point shooting and defense don't regress terribly he's probably a low tier starting point guard in this league. He's now one of only 3 spurs (Wemby and Vassell being the other two) with positive EPM on the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy's been playing out of his mind since he got the starting nod. 13/7/4 on 60/40/100 splits. None of this is probably sustainable, but if his 3 point shooting and defense don't regress terribly he's probably a low tier starting point guard in this league. He's now one of only 3 spurs (Wemby and Vassell being the other two) with positive EPM on the season.
    Indeed. His 3PT shooting, however, is very choosy. Similar to Tony Parker's shots.. mostly corner threes and mostly when he is wide open. So he can continue to maintain a high 3PT accuracy if he picks his shots and his locations wisely. It is not surprising that Jones has a net positive EPM on the season too. He had a net positive D-Raptor and O-Raptor for 2021/22 and 2022/23 as well. The only thing that prevented him from the starting spot was his three point shooting and he seems to be doing much better this season.

The Spurs are a much better team with Jones starting and Sochan getting back to PF duties and also Branham losing his minutes altogether to Wesley. Sochan was a terrible misfit at PG, Wemby didnt make the best of his advantages as a PF and Branham according to EPM is the worst player in the league. Pop and his coaching staff got their lineups terribly wrong for the entire early half of the season before accidentally landing onto Jones starting and Wemby at Center.

Jones playing so well also ensures that the Spurs needn't really fish for a premium starting quality PG in free agency. A decent 6th man or a serviceable star should do while they will have to find the Beta to Wemby's alpha in the form of an All-Star wing to replace Champagnie with Vassell, Johnson and Sochan rounding up the main cast. That will catapult the Spurs to playoff contention. Here's hoping they get lucky in free agency or can pry out an All-Star with all their assets going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s great context and data. Certainly matches the eye test.

My point is there is no transcendent PG in this draft to hand the keys on Day 1, and it’s unclear what the trade is this summer (outside of Young?) that accomplishes the same. Whether they draft someone or continue invest in Blake, that will take time. Just give Jones the role for two years until that understudy is ready, a better trade landscape opens, or Jones is able to take a big leap to make him the lead guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre has been a breath of fresh air along with the emergence of Wesley. The Spurs would be better served finding someone to replace Julian Champagnie in the starting lineup. If that player was the second best player on the team behind Wemby, it’d be nice. Imagine pairing Kawhi/Giannis/Tatum type player and Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also in 4 years assuming Spurs will be competing in the playoffs and he’s resigned, Tre is the caliber of player we would need leading the bench if we hope to be a contender. He will be just 28 then.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre has been a breath of fresh air along with the emergence of Wesley. The Spurs would be better served finding someone to replace Julian Champagnie in the starting lineup. If that player was the second best player on the team behind Wemby, it’d be nice. Imagine pairing Kawhi/Giannis/Tatum type player and Wemby.
    I’ve also appreciated how no drama Keldon has been about moving to the bench as the super sub. That is his best position on a future playoff team.

They’ll upgrade the Champ/SF position in this draft btw Rachiser, Cody, or Matas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre’s play has made PG less of an immediate concern.
    We could potentially focus on SF with our top pic,especially if that is the BPA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    name one starting PG worse than Tre Jones, I'll wait. PG is the most stacked position, he'd be one of the best back ups though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously? It’s a robust list:

Scoot
    Fultz
    Dinwiddie
    Sexton
    D-Lo
    Rozier
    Whoever the Piston PG is these days
    Whoever the Wizards PG is these days

I’m positive I’m missing a few too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C is the most stacked position.

Scoot
    Fultz
    Dinwiddie
    Sexton
    D-Lo
    Rozier

Brogdon is the general starter
    Dunn is the general starter (Sexton is the SG)
    Cunningham
    Jones

Dinwiddie, Fultz, Dunn are the only ones Jones has a case as better than.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C is the most stacked position.

Brogdon is the general starter
    Dunn is the general starter (Sexton is the SG)
    Cunningham
    Jones

Dinwiddie, Fultz, Dunn are the only ones Jones has a case as better than.
    Nah

- basically Portland’s starting PG is so bad they need to insert another player to help him wipe his ass

- Kris Dunn who is averaging 5pts/4assists to Tre’s 10 and 5?

- forgot about his bro is WAS. Having been at their last game here in DC, I think the younger Jones has significantly narrowed, if not erased the talent gap.

- DET is a hot mess, though I would happy take Cade off their hands!

- oh, and Miami was starting Fat Lowery up until a few days go. Rozier is a nice pick up tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Scoot
    Fultz
    Dinwiddie
    Sexton
    D-Lo
    Rozier

Brogdon starts at PG for Portland, not Scoot. Sexton plays SG and averages double the points Jones does. Same with D-Lo. Rozier averaged 23 PPG, you're telling me 3 games changed that? Dinwiddie basically has Tre Jones stat line since Tre became the starter, but has a higher one overall.

Stats don't even support your argument. It's Fultz and Dunn that's it and only because Dunn plays 17 minutes per game. This is the same case that people made when we had Trey Lyles start at PF and were amazed cause he can grab 6 rebounds. Tre would be one of the best back ups in the league, but he ain't even average starting material in the NBA.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve also appreciated how no drama Keldon has been about moving to the bench as the super sub. That is his best position on a future playoff team.

They’ll upgrade the Champ/SF position in this draft btw Rachiser, Cody, or Matas.
    No, they won't. They are getting Topic

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need to find a point guard/play maker.

Tre is not the answer and never will be. When this team is contending Tre won’t be a starter and probably won’t even be on the roster. Which is true for 80%-90% of the players on the current roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They better not settle on Tre. He is still very much a backup PG.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His numbers as a starter are ridiculous though. I don't know how they going to build this roster but another two-way wing would make him viable as a starter like Conley for MIN.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract allows some room to focus on prioritizing looking for a forward with their pick in the draft (Risacher or Williams). I think they could look at trading for a point guard in the off-season or next year's trade deadline. If Toronto's pick conveys maybe look at a PG or just draft another 3 that is a bit raw but has tremendous upside potential like Saluan or Buzelis.

I really need to see more film from all 4 but I like Risacher shooting and Tidjane physical tools. I think you could focus on a PG next year and make a decision on Blake Wesley and Tre Jones future with the team then.
    Last edited by HankChinaski; 01-29-2024 at 12:58 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah

- basically Portland’s starting PG is so bad they need to insert another player to help him wipe his ass

- Kris Dunn who is averaging 5pts/4assists to Tre’s 10 and 5?

- forgot about his bro is WAS. Having been at their last game here in DC, I think the younger Jones has significantly narrowed, if not erased the talent gap.

- DET is a hot mess, though I would happy take Cade off their hands!

- oh, and Miami was starting Fat Lowery up until a few days go. Rozier is a nice pick up tho.
    Yeah.

- Either that or he's 19, has missed time with injury and they have credible starters in Simons and Brogdon.

- I said Dunn is one Jones has a case for or is better than and at counting stats without context.

- Nah, Tyus is still clearly better mainly because of his shooting.

His numbers as a starter are ridiculous though. I don't know how they going to build this roster but another two-way wing would make him viable as a starter like Conley for MIN.
    Conley can space the floor.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they won't. They are getting Topic
    What makes you think they're getting Topic? No one has any idea where he's getting drafted. Could be anywhere from #2 to #10 based on how he looks in Euroleague to finish the year. He's gotta be the biggest wildcard in the draft.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They better not settle on Tre. He is still very much a backup PG.
    If they draft a PG gotta imagine Tre is going to still be starting unless dude blows up right away.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think they're getting Topic? No one has any idea where he's getting drafted. Could be anywhere from #2 to #10 based on how he looks in Euroleague to finish the year. He's gotta be the biggest wildcard in the draft.
    Topic will fall enough for the Spurs to get him. They will target a PG in the draft and Topic fits the size and type of player(foreign) the Spurs like to target.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they draft a PG gotta imagine Tre is going to still be starting unless dude blows up right away.
    Agreed. I don’t even want to lose Tre and think he deserves a spot on this team next year but he shouldn’t be the starting PG at the end of the next season when it’s all said and done.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Scoot
    Fultz
    Dinwiddie
    Sexton
    D-Lo
    Rozier

You think Tre Jones with his game now would have been Portland's pick over Scoot if they were the same age and were in the draft last year?

Thread Information