Page 41 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2258
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, i'm not very good with all these CBA things, but i surely don't get how Reaves was paid only 14M/year. If someone would take the time to explain it to me.

I get that players in LA will have more hype. But from what i saw, i don'tget Reaves only getting that, he seemed like the real deal fot the role he's asked to have.

, Keldon at 18.5/year was considered a good deal, and it was. but Reaves is the better passer, the better shooter, the better defender. and i think that given the same role, he could easily score as much as Keldon.

There are two question about Reaves. Was this last year a fluke , but he seems more like a late bloomer than anything else.
    And could he be as efficient as the primary option, but he probably won't have to be, and even 25M/year, the max he could get, wasn't "first option" money in today NBA.

I really don't get how any other team didn't offer more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t want to be in a spot where we don’t take the opportunity to add players when we have the means to do so. Once we have to start handing our guys big extensions (Vassell looming), that flexibility fades

who knows what Zollins would cost next year as a UFA?
    They shouldn’t add players just because they can. They should have a plan to field a contender by 2025-26 when Victor is mature enough to dominate, and all moves should be in harmony with that goal.

The first order of business is to build the core around Wemby — his Manu and Tony. Nobody readily available this offseason fits those roles. No, not Dame.

The goal is not to field the most compe ive team possible for 2023-24. I understand that Spurs fans are tired of losing and don’t want another throwaway season, so they’re willing to mortgage part of a spectacular dynastic future to get some short-term baubles. Actually no, I don’t understand it. It’s ing asinine.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvpYou were one of the people who mentioned yesterday that the Spurs had plenty of time to offer Reeves a contract and could wait several days. Yet less than 24 hours later, here we are.

For those who actually wanted the Spurs to make an offer, sooner would have been better, yes? Or can the Spurs still call his agent and try to get him to pull a Marcus Morris?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dame to Houston? Tiny Backcourt v2.0?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They shouldn’t add players just because they can. They should have a plan to field a contender by 2025-26 when Victor is mature enough to dominate, and all moves should be in harmony with that goal.

The first order of business is to build the core around Wemby — his Manu and Tony. Nobody readily available this offseason fits those roles. No, not Dame.

The goal is not to field the most compe ive team possible for 2023-24. I understand that Spurs fans are tired of losing and don’t want another throwaway season, so they’re willing to mortgage part of a spectacular dynastic future to get some short-term baubles. Actually no, I don’t understand it. It’s ing asinine.
    In the simulation on YouTube, the Spurs didn't win their first le until Victor was 29. They won four in a row.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not denying they did a good job putting some pieces around them. Just saying let's pump the brakes on anointing them best in the West; they're still likely to be a play-in team.

Denver

Phoenix

Dubs
    Kings
    Clippers (could be higher)
    Lakers
    Grizz

Pels
    T'Pups
    Mavs
    The rest
    Ya - I don’t think they are best in west. But they are improved and in the mix and that’s all that matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvpYou were one of the people who mentioned yesterday that the Spurs had plenty of time to offer Reeves a contract and could wait several days. Yet less than 24 hours later, here we are.

For those who actually wanted the Spurs to make an offer, sooner would have been better, yes? Or can the Spurs still call his agent and try to get him to pull a Marcus Morris?
    Waiting made sense - but would have required a verbal agreement with his agent with us basically promising that we'd make the offer on the last day of the moratorium period. At that point, Reaves' agent would have been ecstatic because he'd have just made his client (and himself) a bunch more money with the major risk being the Spurs (or any similar team) not living up to their promise.

But, it appears no such conversations were had and Reaves wanted to stay in LA so they went with what they had. It does very much surprise me that they didn't do something else, even just playing under the QO to be a UFA next year and make more money. But as it is, Reaves will make slightly more than Gabe Vincent, less than Max Strus and less that Bruce Brown

Don't think any Marcus Morris shenanigans will be played, and definitely don't think the Spurs would be the ones to play such games.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, i'm not very good with all these CBA things, but i surely don't get how Reaves was paid only 14M/year. If someone would take the time to explain it to me.

I get that players in LA will have more hype. But from what i saw, i don'tget Reaves only getting that, he seemed like the real deal fot the role he's asked to have.

, Keldon at 18.5/year was considered a good deal, and it was. but Reaves is the better passer, the better shooter, the better defender. and i think that given the same role, he could easily score as much as Keldon.

There are two question about Reaves. Was this last year a fluke , but he seems more like a late bloomer than anything else.
    And could he be as efficient as the primary option, but he probably won't have to be, and even 25M/year, the max he could get, wasn't "first option" money in today NBA.

You’re basing Reaves being better on too small of a sample size. He got fair market value. If he plays identically to how he played last season even the 56 million will be an overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs were the last team able to give Reaves his max. Apparently Reaves' agents heard from the Spurs that there would be no offer coming so they decided to just take the best deal they could get from the Lakers. If the Spurs indicated an offer could have been coming, Reaves would have waited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, again, there’s a difference in throwing baby out with bath water (saying SA sucks or is in an awful spot) and discussing some very real missed opportunities and nuance. Spurs have not had a good free agency period. Now, does that mean they were awful? No. They did fine with Tre and Cham but that was literally the bare minimum lol.

There was so much more opportunity to get creative and maybe they still do. But I dont like the Cedi trade as it represents just money and no basketball help at all and that’s not what I want to see with a team that has SO MUCH cap space and picks etc….there’s more that could have and should have (and maybe will) been done here.

Nuance. Context.
    Not contesting in a vacuum, but what could have been reasonably done by the spurs (assuming it would have been on the table)? Saying this because I never imagine I'm smarter than spurs FO in the grand scheme of things, and not because they don't make (for the moment) any move that it would be a bad FA. It's clear spurs won't make any move that isn't a no brainer with Wemby in...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can the spurs get out of a Portland-Miami deal that would make them want to help facilitate as a 3rd party?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
    27s
    The Jazz are trading center Damian Jones to the Cavaliers, sources tell ESPN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not denying they did a good job putting some pieces around them. Just saying let's pump the brakes on anointing them best in the West; they're still likely to be a play-in team.

Denver

Phoenix

Dubs
    Kings
    Clippers (could be higher)
    Lakers
    Grizz

Pels
    T'Pups
    Mavs
    The rest
    Clippers and Kings are interesting to me on this list. Clippers could be higher, or could be a lottery team if Neph and PG have another injury filled season (which is not all that unlikely). That team really has zero depth... we'll see if they land Dame or Harden.

Kings could very well slip back into a 15 year playoff drought as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Haynes
    ChrisBHaynes
    now
    Free agent forward Jae Crowder has reached an agreement to re-sign with the Milwaukee Bucks on a one-year deal, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not contesting in a vacuum, but what could have been reasonably done by the spurs (assuming it would have been on the table)? Saying this because i never imagine I'm smarter than spurs FO in the grand scheme of things.
    These people wanted Reaves for a 100 million. I don’t buy the LA thing at this point. I bet anything over 70 million and LA makes that team eat it.

Thank god we didn’t offer him 80 million or something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can the spurs get out of a Portland-Miami deal that would make them want to help facilitate as a 3rd party?
    It's hard to say because it doesn't seem like they want to go much over the floor and they don't want players... of course, that's just an impression and it could be totally wrong...if they wanted Lowry or Herro, I'm sure they could get one... it just doesn't appear they want to do anything else this summer..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to figure out what the max Champagnie's contract could be next season. IIRC, there's a stipulation that an option year at the end of a contract can't be for less money than the previous year. But I think the Spurs may be able to get around that by making the last season unguaranteed rather than an option. I believe it also depends how exactly the Spurs sign him that determines whether the Spurs can decline his contract by 8% or 5%.
    Champagnie is a non-bird player, I don't think he is eligible to the 8% raise/decrease.

If the last year is a team option:
    $3,200,000
    $3,040,000
    $2,880,000
    $2,880,000

If the last year is non-guaranteed:
    $3,243,243
    $3,081,081
    $2,918,919
    $2,756,757

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we ever going to get a center?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Reaves was restricted and the Lakers couldn't give him any more than they did. If a team gave Reaves an offer, the Lakers could have waited until the 7th to match the offer and keep him. Apparently no team wanted their cap space to be in limbo for a week and most likely end up not getting Reaves at the end of that week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
    27s
    The Jazz are trading center Damian Jones to the Cavaliers, sources tell ESPN.
    I hear SA native Jordan Clarkson could be moved by Jazz. Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They still have to spend at least $5 million more to reach the salary floor, so maybe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not contesting in a vacuum, but what could have been reasonably done by the spurs (assuming it would have been on the table)? Saying this because I never imagine I'm smarter than spurs FO in the grand scheme of things, and not because they don't make (for the moment) any move that it would be a bad FA. It's clear spurs won't make any move that isn't a no brainer with Wemby in...
    I think high level - we could have seen Sa in on some of these opportunities OKC/DET got in on for their cap space that yielded better ROI than Cedi deal for example. Outside of that, IF the Cedi deal was truly to reach floor, easily could have just signed McDaniels or Grant or someone that is actually a remotely interesting player to accomplish the same goal while getting something more valuable than another 2nd; a legit player with a spark of upside

Beyond that, there were opportunities like Reaves or trades like Obi Toppin (again, I think SA can’t worry about fit too much, just look for value and talent at this point especially when cost is cap space and 2 2nds or less which we have a million of).

All small things and maybe they do sign McDaniels for example to a decent 1 year deal and it shows Cedi deal was smart business to a degree vs just money…its fluid. But they have definitely been less opportunistic this off season after landing Wemby than other teams in similar scenarios (INDY, DET, OKC)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

One thing people sometimes forget is that the player has to accept (sign) an offer sheet.

If Reaves had no intention of signing an offer sheet with the Spurs (or perhaps anyone else), nothing else matters -- the effort never goes anywhere.

Also, if a player signs an offer sheet, he has to be prepared to play in that town for a fair amount of time. Maybe Reaves didn't want to take that chance.

Simply put, Reaves is a big fan favorite in LA and may just want to stay there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gorgui Dieng patiently waiting by his phone, prepared to get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did we even try to offer Book Lopez

Thread Information