Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Normally, if they want someone on a two way, they reach an agreement before they draft them.
    Yep, makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny: I was pretty high on Cissoko going into the draft and if we would’ve gotten him at 33 I’d have been hyped. But now knowing the FO chose to stockpile two more SRPs years from now over getting him at 33, I can’t help but have my excitement tempered If they really liked him it’s hard to imagine they wouldn’t have taken him at 33. Seems more like they just didn’t have much of a choice and had to make a pick at #44.

it though - I’m still looking forward to seeing him in SL and think he can eventually become a solid NBA rotational player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...a-18106636.php

"Everyone growing up as a kid in France wanted to play for the Spurs," Cissoko said. "When you saw the great things Tony Parker did with (Manu) Ginobili and (Tim) Duncan and Gregg Popovich, you wanted to play for them. And I know Gregg Popovich is going to do a good job with him (Wembanyama), so I am not worried about Victor."
    With the Spurs, Wembanyama has a chance to be "one of the greatest players of all time," Cissoko said.
    "Wemby is an alien," Cissoko said. "You never see a player 7-4, 7-3 doing the stuff he does. He is special. God gave him good gifts, just an amazing player."
    ... ??? And Boris diaw, key player in the 2014 championship

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fck how tall he is! can this mf'er play?!
    6’6 3/4 barefoot. 6’8 with shoes. And we’re about to find out.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sid the kid ……. I like him! Appears to be a dog!
    You liked Primo too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6’6 3/4 barefoot. 6’8 with shoes. And we’re about to find out.
    6’5.5 barefoot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6’5.5 barefoot
    Oh so the 6’6 3/4 measurement was with shoes. My b.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny: I was pretty high on Cissoko going into the draft and if we would’ve gotten him at 33 I’d have been hyped. But now knowing the FO chose to stockpile two more SRPs years from now over getting him at 33, I can’t help but have my excitement tempered If they really liked him it’s hard to imagine they wouldn’t have taken him at 33. Seems more like they just didn’t have much of a choice and had to make a pick at #44.

it though - I’m still looking forward to seeing him in SL and think he can eventually become a solid NBA rotational player.
    That's such a ridiculous at ude it makes me embarrassed for you. The Spurs walk away with a guy you wanted plus two second round picks and you're unhappy. Gotta address that , son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ngl but Sidy getting that spotlight because of Wemby. So I assumed he's getting a standard contract instead of having two-way? Spurs has to. Either the Spurs really planned to have Wemby with another French since they didn't able to get Bilal or Wemby already told the Spurs that he want Sidy on the team as a regular.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ngl but Sidy getting that spotlight because of Wemby. So I assumed he's getting a standard contract instead of having two-way? Spurs has to. Either the Spurs really planned to have Wemby with another French since they didn't able to get Bilal or Wemby already told the Spurs that he want Sidy on the team as a regular.
    Not necessarily, and that might be why he was picked 44 instead of 33, so they could 2way him. Either way, he’s going to spend a ton of time in Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You liked Primo too
    Miss Cleo didn’t see into the future on the pervert

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You liked Primo too
    Lol…….. don’t be that guy rascal. Just for you, I don’t like sid ok? Fixed….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s also possible the Spurs had the same deal with Cidy that Rupert had with the Blazers. Maybe Cidy’s agent was telling teams not to draft him because he had a deal in place with the Spurs - so getting him at 44 was “locked”

Not saying this was the case, but it’s possible. We assume the Spurs gambled in trading 33 - but maybe they had their guy Cidy all along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s also possible the Spurs had the same deal with Cidy that Rupert had with the Blazers. Maybe Cidy’s agent was telling teams not to draft him because he had a deal in place with the Spurs - so getting him at 44 was “locked”

Not saying this was the case, but it’s possible. We assume the Spurs gambled in trading 33 - but maybe they had their guy Cidy all along.
    I am curious as to what transpired.
    First the 44th probably had zero trade value. Given the Spurs success in drafting in the very late 20s why would they trade 33.

I like the guy already
    Well spoken, trilingual.
    However, at the end of the day he's still the 44th pick, which makes him a statistical long shot to succeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not gonna call him a PG like how John B is obsessed with calling every player that, but the more I watch the more I see the European flair of passing from Sidy. I think he plays like a wing version of our very own Mamu. There is going to be nice passing this season if Sidy finds himself in the regular rotation. Now, keep in mind that good passing doesn’t equate to being a PG. It’s much more than that.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait until he posterizes someone. I am going to be like.... SIDY'S NUTZ!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not gonna call him a PG like how John B is obsessed with calling every player that, but the more I watch the more I see the European flair of passing from Sidy. I think he plays like a wing version of our very own Mamu. There is going to be nice passing this season if Sidy finds himself in the regular rotation. Now, keep in mind that good passing doesn’t equate to being a PG. It’s much more than that.
    He played for Baskonia in the Spanish ACB for 2-3 years, so he’s not your typical GLI player. That’s pretty good training for fundamental basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This was before he played for Ignite and was getting used to American basketball. He says it somewhere in the clip -- that European basketball is team-based and US basketball is different. Goes with the theme batting around here that US basketball is kind of a wreck right now due to the iso .

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why would his agent turn away teams who might draft him before 44 and have an agreement to go to the Spurs at 44 instead of 33?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would his agent turn away teams who might draft him before 44 and have an agreement to go to the Spurs at 44 instead of 33?
    One of Sidy's agent is listed as Jim Tanner, whose client list included Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Malik Rose and Jeremy Sochan. So he probably has a long relationship with the Spurs. Maybe he really thought Spurs was the best spot for his client but knew that the team didn't want to use #33. All speculation, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The draft was really really strange. Punting the 33 really indicated, in retrospect, that they didn't want any further players OR that they didn't want to be in range of guaranteed contracts, which early SRPs seem to get nowadays, although that doesn't seem entirely true. TJD is getting a guaranteed contract with GSW and required that to be picked.

Either the FO still had players in mind with more contract flexibility as 44 approached OR they were working to sell that one, too. And then a player they valued fell and they said " it, what roster crunch."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter how much we try to overthink this, the answer is probably very simple… the Spurs recognize what the second round is not: a great source to get players from for building your franchise. As much as we glorify our own pet players and fantasize how great they will become, the team probably doesnt see it that way. Tre Jones is likely an outlier story as opposed to a common one we should expect from second round picks year to year.

that’s not to say that there’s nothing promising about Cissoko. But I believe the Spurs think they can take about any player that has a good head on their shoulders and see how far their Spurs program can take them. I think they have much belief in their player development that they see anyone in the second round as pretty much even with their talent level and it’s all about which players will be receptive to the team building and player development concept.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter how much we try to overthink this, the answer is probably very simple… the Spurs recognize what the second round is not: a great source to get players from for building your franchise. As much as we glorify our own pet players and fantasize how great they will become, the team probably doesnt see it that way. Tre Jones is likely an outlier story as opposed to a common one we should expect from second round picks year to year.

that’s not to say that there’s nothing promising about Cissoko. But I believe the Spurs think they can take about any player that has a good head on their shoulders and see how far their Spurs program can take them. I think they have much belief in their player development that they see anyone in the second round as pretty much even with their talent level and it’s all about which players will be receptive to the team building and player development concept.
    I think you were pretty high on Rupert, right? I'd be interested in getting your thoughts on Rupert vs. Cissoko.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not sure I agree on either point, if mildly.

My feeling is the Second Round is gaining more importance in two ways. The first has been do ented and discussed more, which is that cap-strapped teams are going to value these picks in the coming half decade, if not more, because the contracts are cheap and acquiring the picks are relatively cheap. We've also gotten to a Fallout bottle cap situation where SRPs have acquired a new level of currency now that many teams can't trade their FRPs.

The other note on the Second Round is that the first round has become a quarry for eighteen and nineteen year olds who don't know how to play basketball. We just hope they'll develop. One thing, though, is that they get expensive to just hang around your roster being sucky for a few years until their next contract. A guy like Jalen Green, for example. Won't win more than three games for you, but is like on a #2 salary or whatever.

The late first round and into the second round is becoming a quarry for older players, 'vets,' who can probably contribute faster, if their ceilings aren't quite as high. Better floors, in some cases. Everyone's falling in love with the Christian Braun type. They're having second thoughts about talented idiots like Cam Whitmore and Leonard Miller.

Now, onto the Spurs. I feel they would have taken a flier on someone at 33 if they weren't facing a huge roster crunch right now. Also, Cissoko was regularly discussed in the 20s by a wide range of sources. He touched into low lottery range in some cases, although for the most part that ended and he was mocked in the 20-30s range. IMO it's still a very big, unanswered question why he dropped so very far. It may simply be the reason I stated above -- a lot of teams in the 20-30 range were going for more readymade players. Same reason Rayan Rupert dropped.

Increasingly I don't think we can read how good a player is by where they are actually drafted. Trayce Jackson-Davis was passed by a lot of team but will be impactful, I feel, for the Warriors. Cissoko, IMO, is a good bit better than a normal 44 pick back in the day. He's way more promising than a Jack McClintock type.

Thread Information