Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, for his age he is all ready NBA approved it's crazy to think he was just 18 years old coming to a foreign country and learning how to play NBA type of basketball vs FIBA. A couple of things I like is that he has to be super mature I mean he went to Spain when he was 14 years old to play ball over there and then to be able to make the transition to be drafted as he is just turning 19 years old says a lot about his character. He seems like a very Spurs type of player very hard worker, smart ball IQ, will play to the whistle, has a little dog in him won't back down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can also make the argument that no one was hyping Bilal before Wemby team started playing in the Playoffs. You have to wonder if he was not on Wemby team where would he realistically be picked? Either way will see who is better in a few years I can say that Sidy is much happier that he is own the Spurs as far as for his future. While Bilal is happy he went so high I feel for him because Washington is a terrible place for him to develop. But who know we might be able to pick him off Washington when his contract ends.
    You're def right about a terrible place to be for Bilal, but even if it's a reach we're talking about a 7th pick vs. a 44th pick... And Bilal reportedly had a promise from Utah (reason why IND reached). Nobody, absolutely nobody in the NBA or this forum would have picked Sidy over Bilal... No one. And there's a whole bunch of guys they would have taken between the two and before even thinking about Sissoko... There's a reason why one is a lottery guy and the other a late second..

Only 20% of all second rounders will still be in the NBA after 5 years max... That's 40% for non lottery FRPs, and a bit less than 80% for lottery guys (Bilal). Basically, Sissoko has 4 chances out of 5 to be out of the league in 2 to 4-5 years. The money they're owned is ofc also a reason why NBA teams insist more on lottery guys than SRPs that can be cut easily...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of Stanley Johnson. Obviously, him sticking in the league is largely dependent on his 3 becoming solid.

The odds are generally against these types of wings, but at 44 (on the heels of giving away 33), it's still a solid pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Video Scout.

I think Sidy is best thought of as similar to Sochan, as a power wing (rather than big forward / Small ball centre) who works as a connective passer with some off the dribble juice, and has the physicality to contest on the outside and defend a range of positions.

Obviously, the shot is the big question and if he can't shoot consistently it's hard for him to fit in, but that's a development question.

Think it's fairly obvious that the Spurs weren't incredibly high on him (as in, a top 20 grade), given the trade at 33.
    It’s funny watching Coach Spins videos. You think every prospect is amazing until he shows the weakness clips. Then you think the prospect has zero chance of playing in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny watching Coach Spins videos. You think every prospect is amazing until he shows the weakness clips. Then you think the prospect has zero chance of playing in the NBA.
    The reality of highlight reels impact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's where we disagree. that's not even close, to me. I know every rookie a team picks suddenly becomes beautiful and full of talent but Sissoko is a fringe NBA player and he may never really get quality rotation minutes with the big boys, spending most of most his time in Austin. I expect Bilal to have an impact year one with his defense and fast break speed...

Nobody barely even mentioned Sissoko before the draft and I"m not sure he' won't be mentioned that much in the future here. He won't be in a contending, or let's say a compe ive version of a spurs team and may end up as a filler in a trade. I see Bilal having a long career as a valuable, productive player thanks to his defense, BBIQ and athleticism.
    You seem to know quite a lot about European basketball. Could you explain why you’re not so high on Cissoko and how he compares with Rupert?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of Stanley Johnson. Obviously, him sticking in the league is largely dependent on his 3 becoming solid.

The odds are generally against these types of wings, but at 44 (on the heels of giving away 33), it's still a solid pick.
    one of the bizarre storylines of last season was how sneaky good johnson was for us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he pans out is that a bigger Keldon?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he pans out is that a bigger Keldon?
    A totally different skillset, it seems. Keldon is pure wing, a 3 point shooter who can attack the basket hard on close-outs, also isn't splendid at defense.

Sidy has PG skills and is more of an attacking SG who has great defensive potential but is not a great shooter.

Fantasy Football Guru Guru of Nothing's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm buzzed and drawing Jimmy Butler comparisons based upon his physical attributes. His lower body is stout af, and he accelerates his pace suddenly when it suits him. He may not amount to much, but I'm interested in watching his development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sort of reminds me of Marvin Williams + Tyreke Evans.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Here’s a more in-depth write up of him from the Athletic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to find comps with this frame and skillset. Andrew Wiggins with more potential creation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the pick!

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    why is no one giving playblair his for his correct intel on cissoko...........check the second round thread playblair had the info.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to find comps with this frame and skillset. Andrew Wiggins with more potential creation?
    Wiggins was a much better shooter and scorer coming out of college.

Cissoko reminds me of Herb Jones a bit and their stats are similar in some regards.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...b-jones-3.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiggins was a much better shooter and scorer coming out of college.

Cissoko reminds me of Herb Jones a bit and their stats are similar in some regards.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...b-jones-3.html
    I'm talking body type and strength. Herb Jones is more stringy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of a rich man's Semi Ojeleye

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing to do, it makes me (a little) think of Luguentz Dort
    Just wanted to say, welcome to SpursTalk - love having more French perspective on the board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched exactly 1 minute and 41 seconds of the first highlight video posted… and now I’m definitely a Cid Sissocko expert.

Gives me Michael Findley vibes with those one handed tomahawk jams. Put this guy in a #4 jersey.

I predicted going into this draft that we would trade away #33 - just thought we’d be able to maybe get a far off protected (Top 20 probably) FRP. At the end of the day, I really did not think the Spurs wanted an SRP who necessitated a guaranteed deal. Spurs want to maintain that flexibility going into this and future offseason.

Had we picked Sidy at #33 and then sold #44 for cash, people would love it. Instead we traded #33 for two SRPs, got the same guy prolly on a two-way. Good stuff.

Sidy was very exciting in that 1:41 I watched.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, I never know what to make of any of these French wing prospects. Ouseman Dieng was pretty disappointing for a #11 overall pick who took 3 future FRPs to get.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Justice Winslow, Josh Childress, Bigger Dyson Daniels , Better Ant Black?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me Walt Williams

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skills and high motor are helpful but he’s way down the pecking order I imagine. If Vic likes him that might help his chances for pt more than anything. We’ll see.

His shooting looks like a weakness but some videos showed comfortability with the corner 3, which might be something to work with. But big picture, defense and making the right pass is in his reach. So yeah, we’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You seem to know quite a lot about European basketball. Could you explain why you’re not so high on Cissoko and how he compares with Rupert?
    Rupert is a smoother, more skilled, with better handlings than Sissoko who is rawer and limited offensively. Both aren't great shooters but Rupert is the better one if you consider Sissoko is really a work in progress in that aspect. Rupert as potential and upside on defense but Sissoko is clearly the best defenser, 1 to 4 (reason why I can understand the comparison with Sochan) mostly because he has better BBIQ than Rupert.

that's although the reason why Sissoko is a better passer, with pretty nice court vision. He can read the game, speciallly in defense, which you can clearly see in his scouting vids. He understands what the offense or his guy want to do, while Rupert is more self-centered with kind of a tunnel vision, as his 1 ass./game in Australia attest, which is a problem for a supposed playmaker, the reason I believe why he drooped in the SR after being projected in the mid-lottery. And truth to be told his handlings and shooting are not that good enough that it would compensate his lack of feel for the game. you can't teach that and Sidy has more of it

And that's where Sissoko will have to earn his minutes, smart defense, hustling, grabbing some rebounds, finishing on a dime (which he's competent at) and hopefully trying to develop a reliable 3 to become det 3&D guy....Rupert would really need to develop elite shooting and driving abilities to become a productive player, which I don't believe he will.
    Last edited by JPB; 06-24-2023 at 08:50 AM.

Thread Information