Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he keeps refining, he can be a Ron Artest type but with better handles and passing. Although Artest was a heck of a physical defender. Even as Meta World Peace, our guy has a ways to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hope this is lost in translation/coach doesn't know the nuances. Cissoko on a big boy contract creates problems, not huge ones, but avoidable ones.
    Not lost in translation, he's under contract in Baskonia and needs to pay a buyout to go to the NBA, and he's been offered a 2 year guaranteed deal ("Le han ofertado un contrato de 2 años garantizados" also wouldn't be inconsistent with a longer contract with only the first 2 years being guaranteed). This comes from roughly the equivalent of an NBA GM for Baskonia.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's playing like what he is, a mid second round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A #44 pick who just turned 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes the whole 'pass on players at pick 33 then take Sidy anyway at 44' thing even stranger.
    In one sense, yes. But the buyout->need for a guaranteed contract may have increased their confidence they could get him at #44. If that's the case, why not trade the more valuable 2nd rounder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw a lot of Spurs secound round players in the SL and they rarely have his D or his passing abilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baskonia's GM is confirming that Cissoko will get a guaranteed contract:

https://www.gasteizhoy.com/felix-fer...mpson-al-efes/
    NBA's CBA doesn't allow teams to pay an international buyout for a player signed with a two-way contract. So even if Cissoko is fine with a two-way contract, this buyout issue makes it nearly impossible to do.

I guess Spurs knew about it before the draft and a two way contract was never really an option for Cissoko.
    Well that’s disappointing. Unless they have buyers remorse and they trade his rights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Cissoko’s talent compares favorably with many of our previous second round picks (Weiskamp, Weatherspoon, Blossomgame, etc). In fact, he was considered to be a first-round talent before he slid in many mocks towards the end of the pre-draft process.

In that sense, his closest comparison would be Tre Jones, who was also considered a first-round talent that slid to the second round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he keeps refining, he can be a Ron Artest type but with better handles and passing. Although Artest was a heck of a physical defender. Even as Meta World Peace, our guy has a ways to go.
    Cissoko might be a heck of a physical defender too. But is he willing to defend against fans throwing cups at him from the stands.

Ron Artest was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Search for that story of Ime and that UT forward Gabe Moeneke beating up Algerian fans in some African BB tourney.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does this pretty much confirm he’s on a guaranteed deal? Makes the moves for Cedi and Bullock stranger because our roster will be full

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Search for that story of Ime and that UT forward Gabe Moeneke beating up Algerian fans in some African BB tourney.
    I go back and read that story every couple of years. It's a great read.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw a lot of Spurs secound round players in the SL and they rarely have his D or his passing abilities.
    Should have taken Andre Jackson at 33 who has better D and better passing and better finishing at the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks good defending and ball handling/passing (small sample)
    Shooting/finishing ugh
    Rebounding is good too

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks good defending and ball handling/passing (small sample)
    Shooting/finishing ugh
    Rebounding is good too
    He looks too slow as compared to Andre Jackson.

That's who I'm comparing him to because the Spurs could have had Jackson at 33 if they wanted primarily a defensive player.

Neither Jackson or Sidy can shoot but I'll take Jackson who is better in other areas.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cissoko might be a heck of a physical defender too. But is he willing to defend against fans throwing cups at him from the stands.

Ron Artest was.
    Yeah, but is he willing to defend against fans NOT throwing cups at him from the stands?

Ron Artest was.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can somebody please explain to me what the big deal is on whether he's on a two way or a regular contract? Did the Bullock trade move the Spurs up against the second apron or something? They can move off his contract with near zero repercussions if they need to. I get that they have some interesting prospects at the end of the bench and there's an opportunity cost / roster crunch there, but I don't think the 12-15 spots on this roster are necessarily overflowing with future hall of famers.

With regard to Sidy's game, I feel like he's going to be (at least) a rotation level NBA player. He's only 19 with an NBA body who is a willing and rugged switchable defender with next level passing skills. The things that are broken with him are fixable. The things you can't teach, he has in spades. I look at him as a Draymond starter kit. Not saying he ever gets near that level, but he's potentially a more than useful piece and well worth a two year investment to see if it pays dividends.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can somebody please explain to me what the big deal is on whether he's on a two way or a regular contract? Did the Bullock trade move the Spurs up against the second apron or something? They can move off his contract with near zero repercussions if they need to. I get that they have some interesting prospects at the end of the bench and there's an opportunity cost / roster crunch there, but I don't think the 12-15 spots on this roster are necessarily overflowing with future hall of famers.
    Yeah, I think people might still be in free agency mode even though the Spurs took their big swings early and nothing happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ship him back and Europe and make him a draft and stash

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but is he willing to defend against fans NOT throwing cups at him from the stands?

Ron Artest was.
    Ron Artest is a legend and one of my favorite players of all time. Not for anything the dude did on the court. The dude was straight up nuts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ron Artest is a legend and one of my favorite players of all time. Not for anything the dude did on the court. The dude was straight up nuts.
    LMAO for sure. He attacked the wrong dude in Detroit to set that off. The look on the guy's face still makes me laugh way too hard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sidy will end up being a decent to good shooter at minimum….book it! The kid is untapped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sidy will end up being a decent to good shooter at minimum….book it! The kid is untapped.
    I hope so. I remember a long time ago reading one of TimVP's game grades for a summer league game that Ian Mahinmi was playing in. He said that he "didn't look like he was so much shooting but just generally throwing the ball in the direction of the basket."

Based on two Summer League games so far I have essentially the same assessment of Cissoko. Here's hoping he puts it together!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someday a coach is going to get the bright idea to teach a guy with such a broken jumper to shoot with his opposite hand. It would be quicker to start from scratch than to unlearn a half dozen bad habits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor kid damn near broke the rim on that last layup attempt

Thread Information