Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it hard to believe a two-way player would make anything resembling a demand for guaranteed playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody is going to be guaranteed a role off of summer league play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it hard to believe a two-way player would make anything resembling a demand for guaranteed playing time.
    do you remember that barlow specifically told teams not to draft him so that he could sign the two way and not be locked into long term team option?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wanting a full deal is fine - and certainly that’s what he and his agent SHOULD be asking for. But wanting guaranteed minutes seems like a surefire way to turn off the Spurs.
    Honestly, it'd be both extremely disappointing and baffling. Disappointing because we'd been talking about his maturity, work ethic, and confidence since he joined the team. And baffling, because given his trajectory, you'd think he'd trust his chances of finding playing time in the current Spurs roster, as much as anywhere in the league except perhaps Washington and Portland (I could see those 2 teams in the shadows trying to lure him away with promises).
    I think Wemby won't play center all the time but he will with small ball opposing teams (i.e., without a traditional, physical center), and I think Sochan is versatile enough to be able to play with just about anyone. Couple that with the fact that the Spurs will be extra cautious with Wemby and him, Sochan, and Zach Collins are going to miss time, and I can see at least 20 mpg being available for Barlow if he's up to the job. Plus, the money going forward shouldn't be a problem, the Spurs have plenty of space and he's a better bet than most first round rookies anyway, so I'd be really disappointed if this ends up in a break up.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, it'd be both extremely disappointing and baffling. Disappointing because we'd been talking about his maturity, work ethic, and confidence since he joined the team. And baffling, because given his trajectory, you'd think he'd trust his chances of finding playing time in the current Spurs roster, as much as anywhere in the league except perhaps Washington and Portland (I could see those 2 teams in the shadows trying to lure him away with promises).
    I think Wemby won't play center all the time but he will with small ball opposing teams (i.e., without a traditional, physical center), and I think Sochan is versatile enough to be able to play with just about anyone. Couple that with the fact that the Spurs will be extra cautious with Wemby and him, Sochan, and Zach Collins are going to miss time, and I can see at least 20 mpg being available for Barlow if he's up to the job. Plus, the money going forward shouldn't be a problem, the Spurs have plenty of space and he's a better bet than most first round rookies anyway, so I'd be really disappointed if this ends up in a break up.
    Eh, I'd give him a bit of a break on this. You have basically one shot to make your money in the NBA, and if you aren't a superstar, picking your battles and making your demands when you have leverage is sensible. With all the "it's business not personal" out there it has to go both ways. If he has the team over a bit of a barrel, then he should get what he can. The Chris Dudleys of the world didn't get great contracts because they were great players but because they took advantage when they had it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing wrong with trying to secure a bag, I wouldn’t react to what we hear from announcers and frankly rumor. Barlow has been impressive and I hope the Spurs can make it work. Two-Way players shouldn’t be expected to be loyal to anyone considering how quickly their status can change the moment someone else promising comes along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt dirty dom is holding the spurs up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope he stays in the fold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give this man a 4 year contract and get it over with. Better than most 1st round picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give this man a 4 year contract and get it over with. Better than most 1st round picks.
    they can always do what they did with bassey. sign him to a two-way, and then just give him a real contract in-season. bassey was a two-way signing for us last year which the spurs then converted to a 4 year deal in february

and even if they dont convert him and left him on a two-way all season, he'd still be a restricted free agent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they can always do what they did with bassey. sign him to a two-way, and then just give him a real contract in-season. bassey was a two-way signing for us last year which the spurs then converted to a 4 year deal in february

and even if they dont convert him and left him on a two-way all season, he'd still be a restricted free agent
    If there's no consolidation trade, I can almost guarantee that happens so they can hang on to Bullock to monetize him at the deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, and I don't think there is a line of teams waiting to make him an RFA offer. I don't think teams value his summer league performance the way SpursTalk.com does. The exact path Bassey took to his deal makes a lot of sense for Dom (without the part of being cut by his original team, that is).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, and I don't think there is a line of teams waiting to make him an RFA offer. I don't think teams value his summer league performance the way SpursTalk.com does. The exact path Bassey took to his deal makes a lot of sense for Dom (without the part of being cut by his original team, that is).
    I actually do think he's valued by other teams currently. He had an exceptional summer league and I've heard a lot of good things about him from various outlets. The buzz is there.

I think more likely is that he's working with the Spurs FO and knows that they'll take care of him one way or another and is fine with that. People on the FO for a lot of what they do to earn goodwill from players and agents but this might be a spot where that is paying off for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I have very little doubt a plan is in place for Barlow to stay. Every vid from his teammates and so on, the ones where they ask about their teammates, made it seem pretty clear they knew he'd be on the team next year. Barlow seems to have a very strong idea of what he wants, which is why he asked to not be drafted and signed with the Spurs. I don't see any reason why he'd change his mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Legit surprised another team didn’t make an offer and press spurs. Great news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great news!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I alluded to in this thread, I never bought the speculation of his holding out for a standard.

Barring injury, I don't expect him to start the season in the rotation or even spend much time around the team, but I do expect him to receive a legit chance at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Legit surprised another team didn’t make an offer and press spurs. Great news.
    Maybe they did and he's sticking with his development. Any case, he may get converted once the roster clears up around deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I alluded to in this thread, I never bought the speculation of his holding out for a standard.

Barring injury, I don't expect him to start the season in the rotation or even spend much time around the team, but I do expect him to receive a legit chance at some point.
    I don't see a whole lot of bigs on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow = David West on offense
    Damn, good call. Can't unsee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if assurances of a deadline conversion were part of the agreement

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonderful. I presume and hope that the next step will be do something similar with Sissoko. Then we'll ll finally just have to wait till the new acquired players (Payne, Bullock, Osman, etc) will be treadable again (mid September) and then finally proceed with a trade or some cuts (frankly the only cuttable one, because of his injury and limited playing time these last years, is Birch, but his salary could be used for a trade in case the player coming to us has a big money contract
    ;all the others old or new players on the roster have Imho a decent market value as reliable veterans expecially for teams willing to go to play offs/play in).

Thread Information