Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This won’t age well….
    Manny has never said anything that's been remotely correct on these forums. He's been a steaming piss baby for years. Don't worry about it.
    Put some money where y'alls mouths are, IMO. Lets figure out a bet on whether or not Branham is a member of the Spurs beyond his rookie contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm quite low on Branham. First, he isn't playing well. Second, He isn't really getting better (or less worst in his case). Third, his profile of an undersized inefficient wing with a poor defense is quite unattractive.

Saying all that, a glimmer of hope is that he is significantly better this year when Wembanyama is on the court:
    Without Victor (658 minutes): 0.460 eFG%
    With Victor (656 minutes): 0.546 eFG%
    The good news behind that stat is, if Spurs start to improve the roster and put better players on the court with Branham, it seems that he would be able to be more efficient with that reduced role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I invite you to read again cos you're obviously missing the whole point... Ofc, no one is pretending TP and Manu were playing HOFer basketball in their first years.
    I believe i understand your premise, I just do not understand how you watching the 2007 Game 4 finals would lead to you thinking that TP and Manu were special during their first couple of years (actually first day).

Although talking about rewritting history, nobody really panned TP for taking the starting job over Antonio freaking Daniels and both him and Manu (who entered the NBA as a euro star) were doing great in their first years already, winning a le in his second year for TP and first for Manu... you know.
    TP getting the starting role a few games in his career was a huge surprise. People were talking about how Pop don't play young guys, etc ... then he started, and people (as in internet forums) were talking about him not earning the role and is not a good enough Frenchie to lead a le contender. He was dogged all the way until at least 2005, 2006 for being subbed out for Claxton in the 2003 finals. it took a few years for Tony to become Tony. he had amazing speed but he couldn't shoot, and could barely pass, his defence terrible.

Manu was showing glimpses, especially in the 2003 series vs. the Lakers, but he was wild, and you don't know which version of Manu you can get. Nobody really cared about Manu when he joined because he was this flopper from Italy (not Argentina, Italy) who is a turnover machine.

The Spurs won the le in 2003, but now you are trying to say they won BECAUSE of Tony and Manu? More rewriting. Stephen Jackson was the clear #2 on that team, with Robinson being the #3. Duncan was at his absolute peak and was incredible. Wemby isn't at Duncan's 2003 level yet, we have no Captain Jack nor the Admiral, so saying everybody can see Tony and Manu were special since Day 1 is absolute bull . If Tony was so good the Spurs wouldn't entertain swapping him out for Kidd.

But the main point is you could see very early they had something special, TP with his incredible speed, the tear drops, the fearlessness, and Manu for his energy and fearlessness too, among other things. And very importantly, you could see they were smart players, they got it, they felt BB, the court vision, the awareness, demeanor and at ude on the court and the compe iveness, independently of godam "development" which seems to be some kind of buoy some people hold on to to try to convincee themselves that, "yeah, after 2 4 or 5 years in the NBA", Keldon, Blake or Brnaham didn't show any of that, but "development will transform them into all stars...

there's a reason why HOFers and guys like the big 3 are rare, and none of the current kids besides Wemby has it. they're not from that race, and you can't teach that. We gotta stop believing "development" is gonna make these players who they are not. Blake is not a TP in the making and Malaki is not Manu in the making. Sochan is no future Boris (french league MVP at 18) either.
    They had that vision probably because they were playing pro ball for years before joining the Spurs? Just maybe? I don't see Keldon, Blake, Branham, and for that matter Sochan or Vassell ever turning out that good, but I do see them turning into useful roll players who can be upgraded later to better pieces or play a good role on a contender team. Sochan has the tools to become a Boris type player (or at least perform at that level), the jury is still out, but none of them will likely make Tony and Manu level, because throughout the history of the NBA there were 70, maybe 80 players, who reached that height.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put some money where y'alls mouths are, IMO. Lets figure out a bet on whether or not Branham is a member of the Spurs beyond his rookie contract.
    He the player will improve but I can’t tell you if it’s here or elsewhere. I don’t know how we would quantify this but I’ll keep a lookout on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He the player will improve but I can’t tell you if it’s here or elsewhere. I don’t know how we would quantify this but I’ll keep a lookout on him.
    All I see in this post is someone who talks about regret then immediately starts to walk things back. Branham improving doesn't mean all that much considering he's a fringe NBA player at this point. If this guy isn't on the Spurs in 1-2 years then I'm not sure what exactly about my post will age poorly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atl Spur thinks every spur is destined for greatness. Throws his “this won’t age well” schtick against any take that isn’t slurping a player and hopes it sticks. Mr Body is one of the worst posters on this site, I wouldn’t put too much into it, Manny, lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also those two were Primo sniffers. You can’t get more bad on takes than with that. Lol. It’s okay to hype up G league scrubs on the spurs but yeah we should say no to Trae Young.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember that not every FRP has to excel to not be a bust. See the last game against the Mavs. Dante Exum. Bust at the overall pick #5 in 2014. But still in the league as a highly effective role player with TS% above 60% which exceeds anyone on the current Spurs team and by coincidence he just beat us last night.

This idea we need to dump every player, even our 20 year olds, ASAP, pretty dumb. Now, the right deal
    comes along, different story…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I see in this post is someone who talks about regret then immediately starts to walk things back. Branham improving doesn't mean all that much considering he's a fringe NBA player at this point. If this guy isn't on the Spurs in 1-2 years then I'm not sure what exactly about my post will age poorly.
    Please re-read your initial statement and my response I’m not backtracking at all and Branham will be better moving forward as he matures…..sir he’s 20! You guys gotta chill, everything’s not a pissing contest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atl Spur thinks every spur is destined for greatness. Throws his “this won’t age well” schtick against any take that isn’t slurping a player and hopes it sticks. Mr Body is one of the worst posters on this site, I wouldn’t put too much into it, Manny, lol.
    Every spur? Hmmmm….. I actually pick and choose if you noticed and decide to read for comprehension vs combativeness.

And yes I’m a spurs fan posting in a spurs forum…go figure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember that not every FRP has to excel to not be a bust. See the last game against the Mavs. Dante Exum. Bust at the overall pick #5 in 2014. But still in the league as a highly effective role player with TS% above 60% which exceeds anyone on the current Spurs team and by coincidence he just beat us last night.

This idea we need to dump every player, even our 20 year olds, ASAP, pretty dumb. Now, the right deal
    Exum is a better comeback story than Fultz. Dante was OUT OF THE NBA for two seasons, and came back having fixed his major glitch (3 point shooting) in a major way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What is the takeaway from Exum’s experience? That the spurs should hold onto terrible players in the hope that they someday become useful? Utah got better by dumping Exum.

The spurs can let these young guys stick around for a few years to prove they are capable players, giving them a few minutes off the bench. What they should not do is treat them as some sort of building blocks. The idea is beyond laughable.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would get dumped as picks come in. That applies to all the bench guys.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not every pick can develop into a good player, but as things stand now, 4 FRPs PATFO used in 2021 and 2022 have absolutely 0 value.
    One is already out of the league and if we were to hypothetically trade all three 2022 draftees, I doubt we'd get a single FRP back.
    Last edited by LeBowen; 03-24-2024 at 01:50 PM.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not every pick can develop into a good player, but as things start now, 4 FRPs PATFO used in 2021 and 2022 have absolutely 0 value.
    One is already out of the league and if we were to hypothetically trade all three 2022 draftees, I doubt we'd get a single FRP back.
    Yep, the class of 2022 has been highly disappointing in year two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker Kessler was my choice.

But since 22-23 was a tank year for Wemby oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham sucks and anyone bringing up Manu or TP to strengthen their argument against Branham sucking shouldn’t be allowed to post about the Spurs prospects going forward. Having some objectivity is important. Manu was destroying guys in practice in 03. Everyone on the team (even SJax) knew Manu was a baller in his first year nvm his second year when he destroyed prime Kobe Bryant.

And TP was literally the fastest player in the league with the ball in his hands. He destroyed Gary The Glove Peyton in the playoffs as a rookie. He could get in the paint at will. The dude had tools from day 1 that he honed in over time and became the player he was however he had tools that Branham will never (and I mean never have). It’s a stupid comparison. Could Branham be insta one man fast break on offense as a rookie? Nope. Does he have a handle to get in the paint at will? Nope. Is he faster than everyone else in the league? Nope. So why bring up TP?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m leaning to him being out of league in 3 years. Then again Spurs might refuse to admit their mistake and drag this out further into next season.

His defense is poor and he can’t remember the plays. He is still lost on the court after 70+ games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the takeaway from Exum’s experience? That the spurs should hold onto terrible players in the hope that they someday become useful? Utah got better by dumping Exum.

The spurs can let these young guys stick around for a few years to prove they are capable players, giving them a few minutes off the bench. What they should not do is treat them as some sort of building blocks. The idea is beyond laughable.
    They need three starters which would obviously have the dual effect of slotting most of the rotation into proper roles, but is obviously highly unlikely in one off season. Probably the only chance is if they're in position to select Risacher (unlikely) and he's as plug and play as he appears, because then they could preserve assets to pursue the other two.

I do expect the other two to be addressed, but unfortunately that'll leave Sochan to continue to be handed a starting/closing role by default.

Not every pick can develop into a good player, but as things stand now, 4 FRPs PATFO used in 2021 and 2022 have absolutely 0 value.
    That gap is the biggest reason for their current predicament. You just can't come away with replacement - non NBA players out of four 1sts, two of which were in the lottery, over a two year span.

What's worse, all except Branham (given where he was picked) looked highly questionable at the time.

They need to humble themselves, stop being so rigid in what they look for and start identifying dynamism (specific skills, physical tools, something).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm quite low on Branham. First, he isn't playing well. Second, He isn't really getting better (or less worst in his case). Third, his profile of an undersized inefficient wing with a poor defense is quite unattractive.

Saying all that, a glimmer of hope is that he is significantly better this year when Wembanyama is on the court:
    Without Victor (658 minutes): 0.460 eFG%
    With Victor (656 minutes): 0.546 eFG%
    The good news behind that stat is, if Spurs start to improve the roster and put better players on the court with Branham, it seems that he would be able to be more efficient with that reduced role.
    There is no hope for his defense and he seems to have lost all of his confidence on offense. He is a poor catch & shooter, and his one redeeming quality - midrange offense has vanished. There is little redeemable, IMO. Here's hoping the Spurs get the Raptors pick this year. They should get a decent SG/ shooting PG prospect to replace Branham.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need to humble themselves, stop being so rigid in what they look for and start identifying dynamism (specific skills, physical tools, something).
    Exactly.
    Players for star potential are easy to identify, role players these days are potentially elite in one aspect, but lack in others.
    Picking players that don't have anything going for them from day one almost always ends badly.

You can't pick Sochan and hope he develops handles, a jumpshot and improves his basketball IQ by a lot.
    If he was an elite defender fine, but he's not...other than Rodman cosplay.

Wesley has zero actual point guard skills, he would've been a decent second round pick, but not first.
    Kind of how Sidy is a potentially great defender, but has no offensive skills. Reasonable for a second rounder.

Branham is just subpar at every aspect of the game and I generally don't understand picking guards that don't excel at anything.
    Finding a scoring guard that plays no defense is the easiest thing in the league these days.

Then even if three of them develop, they'll ask to get paid in a few years. Paid more than they're worth.
    Still, I'm resigned that nothing will change as long as Pop refuses to accept he's past it and that all three of them will be not just on the roster, but in rotation the next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every spur? Hmmmm….. I actually pick and choose if you noticed and decide to read for comprehension vs combativeness.

And yes I’m a spurs fan posting in a spurs forum…go figure
    Umm you do that with every single player. Do I need to bump your Sotarosky thread? A player that didn’t even play a game with us? Look it’s okay to believe in our guys but you take it to the extreme and anyone that shows otherwise to you you always say “wait and see.” Just accept that the spurs ed up in drafting, it’s not rocket science dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham sucks and anyone bringing up Manu or TP to strengthen their argument against Branham sucking shouldn’t be allowed to post about the Spurs prospects going forward. Having some objectivity is important. Manu was destroying guys in practice in 03. Everyone on the team (even SJax) knew Manu was a baller in his first year nvm his second year when he destroyed prime Kobe Bryant.

And TP was literally the fastest player in the league with the ball in his hands. He destroyed Gary The Glove Peyton in the playoffs as a rookie. He could get in the paint at will. The dude had tools from day 1 that he honed in over time and became the player he was however he had tools that Branham will never (and I mean never have). It’s a stupid comparison. Could Branham be insta one man fast break on offense as a rookie? Nope. Does he have a handle to get in the paint at will? Nope. Is he faster than everyone else in the league? Nope. So why bring up TP?
    Somebody brought up Tony and manu saying that people can see they are special day 1. I pointed out it’s not true. They honed their skills and improved immensely, not to mention both of them had pro experience (many years in manus case) before they joined the spurs as rookies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody brought up Tony and manu saying that people can see they are special day 1. I pointed out it’s not true. They honed their skills and improved immensely, not to mention both of them had pro experience (many years in manus case) before they joined the spurs as rookies.

Not true.

TP and especially Manu were élite at a few skills that made worth the development and patience. Both were elite scorers and secure ball handlers

TP was unguardable bc of his speed and nobody could stop Manu’s euro step and lefty style

Brahman like the rest oft he roster is ok at one thing but élite at none

Thread Information