Page 92 of 94 FirstFirst ... 428288899091929394 LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2343
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems to care and likes to compete. Thats huge, give the kid some time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting is critical for him. If he wants to be more than a role player off the bench, he’s gotta be able to shoot. That shot is so ugly, I’m very skeptical of him as the starting 4 going forward.
    Actually, he's gotta be able to shoot to be an efficient role player. If he was a go to guy with the ball on his hands or the primary screen setter that can play freely through the middle while the other 4 players stretch the floor for him, he would be ok.

As things stand, he needs to not be a shooting liability to fit next to our franchise player. I really hope he can develop that part of his game somehow because I like pretty much every other aspect of his game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Sochan as a player. Nights like tonight showcase the best case scenario for him. The fit is just pretty unfortunate next to Wemby tbh. When the ball is zipping around Sochan can cut, pick his spots, and use his handle to break down the defense.

when the ball stops on one side of the court because you have the best prospect ever, teams just abandon Sochan and build a wall in the lane.

He’s got a ton of potential as a 2 way player in the right situation, but I’m not sure you can play next to Victor if you aren’t a consistent 3pt shooter long term. And I don’t think that’s in the cards for Sochan.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can increase his trade value that’s the best case scenario. Sochan suckers can never answer the question, “what is he good at”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fanboys are out!!!

Same process than with Malaki, one good game and amnesia strikes them again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol… oh yeah I always believed in his potential but Poop messed up his confidence geez

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I noticed in warmups last night was that his shot is much better when he takes his left hand off of the ball early. The ones where he keeps the left hand on until the release are likely to go anywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the idea of getting Naz Reid and Herb Jones via free agency or trade like many have stated in here. Hopefully we can get one or both of those guys this offseason. They would fit perfectly

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate being that guy, but this game just showed why Sochan struggles when he's sharing the floor with Wemby.

His points came from hustle plays, easy baskets while wide open in the paint, a couple of layups over guards and a few jumpshots when he was dared to shoot.
    His hustle and rebounding was great, he also took advantage of Phoenix's disgusting transition defense by pushing the ball after rebounds, but that's about it.
    Nothing spectacular we already haven't seen.
    It sounds like I'm hating, but a lot of those wild, random layups went in last night and they won't go in most of the time.
    He scored 26 on 19 shots, nothing crazy in today's league.

Two of the main issues still persist if he's to play extended minutes with Wemby. He's not a good passer and he can't shoot.
    He obviously has a better mentality than most of our roster because he's always competing hard and trying to improve on his obvious flaws, but if those flaws persist, he'll never be a starter on a good team.
    I still think he's got a lot of room for improvement, but it feels like he'd be best suited for Keldon's 6th man role next season.

We need players who can pass the ball well and are legit threats behind the arc.
    Sochan loses most of his value when he's not one of the first options, which sounds ridiculous considering his scoring flaws.
    If only Devin had his mentality, he'd be a way better player.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, he's gotta be able to shoot to be an efficient role player. If he was a go to guy with the ball on his hands or the primary screen setter that can play freely through the middle while the other 4 players stretch the floor for him, he would be ok.

As things stand, he needs to not be a shooting liability to fit next to our franchise player. I really hope he can develop that part of his game somehow because I like pretty much every other aspect of his game.
    Of course. I was never considering Sochan as someone who the lineup should be shaped around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate being that guy, but this game just showed why Sochan struggles when he's sharing the floor with Wemby.

His points came from hustle plays, easy baskets while wide open in the paint, a couple of layups over guards and a few jumpshots when he was dared to shoot.
    His hustle and rebounding was great, he also took advantage of Phoenix's disgusting transition defense by pushing the ball after rebounds, but that's about it.
    Nothing spectacular we already haven't seen.
    It sounds like I'm hating, but a lot of those wild, random layups went in last night and they won't go in most of the time.
    He scored 26 on 19 shots, nothing crazy in today's league.

Two of the main issues still persist if he's to play extended minutes with Wemby. He's not a good passer and he can't shoot.
    He obviously has a better mentality than most of our roster because he's always competing hard and trying to improve on his obvious flaws, but if those flaws persist, he'll never be a starter on a good team.
    I still think he's got a lot of room for improvement, but it feels like he'd be best suited for Keldon's 6th man role next season.

We need players who can pass the ball well and are legit threats behind the arc.
    Sochan loses most of his value when he's not one of the first options, which sounds ridiculous considering his scoring flaws.
    If only Devin had his mentality, he'd be a way better player.
    In your assessment clearly explain why Pop made him run point guard in a a throw away season ( passing / playmaking ) development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop tried to force Sochan to have the ball to keep him engaged with the offense. It's easy for a guy like him to fade into the background when Jones has the ball and Devin and Victor are the clear top options. Of course, Sochan could've had those opportunities off the bench, but Pop didn't seem to want to even try going there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can do a lot worse than Jeremy at number 9 history suggests.
    https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/9th...ll-draft-picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop tried to force Sochan to have the ball to keep him engaged with the offense. It's easy for a guy like him to fade into the background when Jones has the ball and Devin and Victor are the clear top options. Of course, Sochan could've had those opportunities off the bench, but Pop didn't seem to want to even try going there.
    damn if only they spent a significant portion of the season with sochan handling the ball a lot, maybe even running point. that way we could have seen how the offense looked over an extended period of time

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fanboys are out!!!

Same process than with Malaki, one good game and amnesia strikes them again
    The kid will be fine, perhaps you personally should do some review of historical data….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn if only they spent a significant portion of the season with sochan handling the ball a lot, maybe even running point. that way we could have seen how the offense looked over an extended period of time
    I was answering a question for why Pop did that in the first place, not advocating for them to do it again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was answering a question for why Pop did that in the first place, not advocating for them to do it again
    yeah, guilty. i didnt realize you were commenting on the post above yours as it wasnt quoted. thought you were referring to yesterday's game specifically

snark retracted

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In your assessment clearly explain why Pop made him run point guard in a a throw away season ( passing / playmaking ) development.
    The only reasonable explanation would be that Pop didn't want a player who's got no jumpshot playing off the ball.
    His handles were never going to be good enough to actually play point, but I guess Pop thought Jeremy could develop Draymond-like passing.
    Which he obviously couldn't. At least not yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reasonable explanation would be that Pop didn't want a player who's got no jumpshot playing off the ball.
    His handles were never going to be good enough to actually play point, but I guess Pop thought Jeremy could develop Draymond-like passing.
    Which he obviously couldn't. At least not yet.

The only reasonable explanation is defense.

Why is it that people who talk about the “Sochan at PG experiment” always instantly forget that the basketball court has two ends?

The Spurs were coming off a season where the defense was historically bad. If you want to improve the defense, which player do you want on the court, Sochan or Tre? There’s your answer.

It was never about trying to turn Sochan into Tyrese Haliburton. It was about Sochan instead of Tre on defense.

1) Run a share-the-ball style on offense, which reduces the importance of the point guard.

2) Have Sochan instead of Tre on defense.

I’m sure it looked good on paper. Heck, it does look good on paper.

The Spurs still do things to reduce the role of the point guard. Look at the possessions where Tre goes to the corner, and somebody else initiates the action. You’ll find many examples.

“Sochan at PG” is no mystery.

DEE-FENSE….. DEE-FENSE

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DEE-FENSE….. DEE-FENSE
    You can't claim it's because of defense when Pop started Keldon and Zach early in the season.

I guess Zach's demise was kind of a surprise, but everyone knew about Keldon's traffic cone tendencies.

If you want to improve the defense, which player do you want on the court, Sochan or Tre? There’s your answer.
    There's no right answer to this question.
    Tre is an intelligent defender and gives his best every possession, but gets torched by athletically superior guards.

Jeremy has the size, but as a wing is obviously too slow to be point of attack defender against elite guards.
    And on top of that, he often had to play the impossible role of defending PNR with Collins. Not even nephew would've done much better.

Even to this day, Pop plays those ridiculous with two of Branham-Keldon-Osman together with Collins, sometimes even all three. They'd struggle to defend in G-league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Sochan has a few more games like this to close out the season and some other team gets enamored with his flashes and we can move him. Not because I think it's time to give up on Sochan, because it's not, but because I just don't think he fits next to Wemby and the direction the team needs to go. Ironically, I feel the same about Devin.

In a vacuum, these seem like good pieces to build around... but I'm afraid the more potential they show the more we'll just try to shove those square pieces into a round hole.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid will be fine, perhaps you personally should do some review of historical data….
    So you thought those data would make you look smart?

How are they relevant? How is his draft position related to his game? Why should I care about previous 9th in the draft?

you seem to think anyone criticising Sochan is a hater, which I get it is convenient, but reality most like the kid, it’s never been the point.

the point is he shouldn’t be starting as long as his defensive game doesn’t or rarely compensates his offensive limitations and overall low BBIQ

It’s just absurd to read all those overreactions after a good game vs a team who knew Wemby wouldn’t play. Opposition and context matters.

this game was at best good for his moral but insignificant regarding big picture development. He should be on the bench working his way to starting.

it’s not hating it’s just common sense unless you’re fine with Wemby being double teamed bc of him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Sochan has a few more games like this to close out the season and some other team gets enamored with his flashes and we can move him. Not because I think it's time to give up on Sochan, because it's not, but because I just don't think he fits next to Wemby and the direction the team needs to go. Ironically, I feel the same about Devin.

In a vacuum, these seem like good pieces to build around... but I'm afraid the more potential they show the more we'll just try to shove those square pieces into a round hole.

I totally agree

It’s a matter of compatibility and chemistry. We’ve litteraly seen none of those in +60games

I get the emotional attachment to a kid drafted and fun personality etc but ultimately it’s a business.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Interesting - can you expand on this? I don't agree here, but wanted to hear your thoughts.

I think I can see your argument more with Vassell - he represents one of the less valuable archetypes in basketball very prone to being overrated as a primarily offensive shooting guard with minimal creation and minimal defensive versatility. The upper end of his archetype is Devin Booker and he's drawing dead to ever becoming as good as him. Other guys of his archetype like Jalen Green, Demar DeRozan, and Zach Lavine have not affected winning nearly as much as their contracts dictate. He's smaller than a Khris Middleton so he inherently has less defensive versatility. His primary value as a tough shot maker is limited by his size and non-elite athleticism. In that sense, I agree somewhat although I would argue that he has shown enough improvement as a playmaker this year to continue to invest in him. Still, if you could get all of his skills in a guy who's actually wing-sized, that'd certainly be more ideal.

Sochan I think I'd disagree with a little more. To me at least, a fully realized and developed Sochan (like 7-8 years from now) is basically a guy who can guard 2-4 full time and is switchable 1-5 in spurts defensively. He's potentially a powerful antidote to the rising new breed of big creators who the Spurs will inevitably encounter in the playoffs. We've seen his success already against guys like Scottie Barnes and Luka, but this also applies in the future to guys like Anthony Edwards, Cade Cunningham, SGA/Jalen Williams, Tatum, Cooper Flagg (?) etc. I'd say his handle and passing are already at least above average for his size and age, and as long as you believe in his ability to fix his jump shot to league average you have a guy who offensively can attack a rotating defense and act as a vital cog in a dribble-pass-shoot offense.

While you can certainly find adequate big wing defenders, the potential to combine that with a versatile offensive piece is more rare and that's what I'm hoping to see from Sochan. Can he protect the rim and handle true bigs down low? No but that probably comes down to roster construction and the need to pair him up with another big wing. I get that if you don't believe in his ability to ever develop into a league average shooter that that significantly limits his fit with the roster, but I disagree that a fully actualized Sochan isn't a good fit with Wemby. I guess I envision a T-Wolves style defense with a GOAT rim protector flanked by 2 elite perimeter defenders in the future. Pair a guy like Sochan with someone like Castle or Devin Carter in this year's draft, let it percolate for a few years, and I think you have a legit chance to build a top 1 defense.

Thread Information