Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congratulations Pop. The final moment of the Golden Era of Spurs basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fire Pop!

Oh... wait...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congratulations Coach Pop! GOAT! And the most amazing thing is he did all that with one organization — the Spurs! Yeah! Go Spurs Go!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't be the greatest coach ever if you could never repeat and defend your le,,,,especially when all the other greats could like Auerbach, Jackson, and Riley. Even Kerr and Spolestra manned up and got their teams to go back to back and defend their les,,,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad he took down a good team, and the Spurs' biggest rival when he took over, to get that record. And in a close game. It wouldn't have quite felt the same in a 116-101 win over Indiana.
    Agree much more satisfying to see a good 4th qtr comeback against a Utah playoff team vs rolling some tanking team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For perspective, it would take a new coach 27 consecutive years of 50-win seasons to pass Pop.

Doc has a little bit of a chance if he coaches good teams until his late 60s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was wondering when the trolls would come. Imagine trying so hard to take the wind out of all of this and failing when people dgaf about your bad takes and would rather just celebrate the GOAT, Greg Popovich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What an amazing achievement! The hug between Pop and DJ is the most beautiful moment in this whole season for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, the young guys humping around Pop was something I have never seen. And Pop chuckling in the middle, but immediately realized, wtf? parted his way out of it . That was a riot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year, Murray developed into an all-star, Pop got the record for most wins in NBA history, and the Spurs could end up with a top 5 pick.

Big picture, this has been a great season.
    Great perspective. On a second tier of accomplishments, you could also add Keldon and Jakobs’ growth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats, Pop. No coach has done more with less imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep that was nice. Now Pop please tank hard and get us the highest pick possible. I think Pop would relish coaching a top pick inserted in this roster, what possible trades PATFO makes this off-season, and see a realization of that rebuilt, before handling a trusted protege the helm. Plenty of time to separate his record from the pack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    congrats to coach Pop!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking thru the bbref coaches register, I would think the coach with the best chance would be Eric Spoelstra. He’s basically half way there, and is only 51. His win % is higher than Docs. If things remained the same, id say it was a shoo in. He’s with an organization that allows him to stumble occasionally and miss the playoffs. He’s shown the ability to relate to veterans and stars during the Heatles years, and also to develop young players.

The only cloud on his horizon is that The Godfather, Pat Riley, is 76. At some point, he will either retire or die with his boots on, and they will bring in someone new who will likely want their own guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't be the greatest coach ever if you could never repeat and defend your le,,,,especially when all the other greats could like Auerbach, Jackson, and Riley. Even Kerr and Spolestra manned up and got their teams to go back to back and defend their les,,,
    Found Phil Jackson's burner account.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking thru the bbref coaches register, I would think the coach with the best chance would be Eric Spoelstra. He’s basically half way there, and is only 51. His win % is higher than Docs. If things remained the same, id say it was a shoo in. He’s with an organization that allows him to stumble occasionally and miss the playoffs. He’s shown the ability to relate to veterans and stars during the Heatles years, and also to develop young players.

The only cloud on his horizon is that The Godfather, Pat Riley, is 76. At some point, he will either retire or die with his boots on, and they will bring in someone new who will likely want their own guy.
    Spo has a good chance because even if the Heat fizzle out (pun intended), any number of teams would be glad to bring him in and he still has a long coaching career ahead of him. The same can't be said for Doc.

That said...fortunes change quickly in the NBA, so time will tell. Pop had the benefit of having a sustained core (Robinson, Duncan, Parker, Ginobili) for 20+ years...so we can't ignore that fact.

The record WILL be broken at some point...but I'm not sure if any coach will ever be able to do it again with the same team, and we are fortunate to say that ALL of those coaching wins came with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, my dream scenario would have been to beat Houston to tie it and the Lakers to surpass it.

However, I am still very happy and at least the Lakers were part of the scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest thing that gives me pride about this record is that every single win came in Silver and Black.....the record will get broken one day, but I have a hard time believing that the record breaker will coach only 1 team in doing so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree. Additionally he is next to Kerr for that coveted national team head coach. I have no doubt Spo will be coaching for awhile, and if not with the Heat, it would be with another team wanting to bring his winning culture to their organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest thing that gives me pride about this record is that every single win came in Silver and Black.....the record will get broken one day, but I have a hard time believing that the record breaker will coach only 1 team in doing so.
    That in itself would be a record, having the most win in one team. That would be very difficult to take over

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have mixed feelings Pop is a fine coach but don’t agree with him many things. But I do like to discuss and debate wines (partial to a good Malbec over most overpriced French) and he is a world class expert that so will give him his due.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, my dream scenario would have been to beat Houston to tie it and the Lakers to surpass it.

However, I am still very happy and at least the Lakers were part of the scenario.
    I was pleased that it was the Jazz actually. I still remember those SOBs torturing us in the 90s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was blown way. So happy to see this for Pop, the Spurs, and the fans of this 'little 'ol small market team from south Texas.'

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have mixed feelings Pop is a fine coach but don’t agree with him many things. But I do like to discuss and debate wines (partial to a good Malbec over most overpriced French) and he is a world class expert that so will give him his due.
    same boat as you in regards to pop

Thread Information