Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got the potential to be knocking on the door of top ten small forwards, potentially as soon as next season and definitely within' two years. Eventually, if he maxes out on his potential, I could see him being on the fringe or in the discussion of the top five. But I think people are getting way too carried away. He's never going to be a superstar or a go-to scoring option. More like an outstanding role player on a championship caliber team or a pseudo star on an irrelevant team. Basically, the next Marion or Wallace.

As far as him "not being content to play Bowen's role", what's are they supposed to do? Take the ball out of two elite pick-and-roll creators and relegate them to spot up duty, so that he can blossom in an area that's probably never going to be his forte? Obviously, he's more dynamic and talented than Bowen, but I'd argue that they need him to get even better in the two areas Bowen excelled in: individual defense and three-point shooting. The latter came along shockingly well last season, to the point where I don't think it would surprise anyone if he shot 40% or better from three next season. But the former? He was relatively good, but they need him to be All-Defensive team caliber good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard shot 45% from three in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard is the most exciting spur to watch.

I think the there should be a tacked Leonard thread at the top, first few pages being timvps game thoughts on Leonard, in sequence

I read some the other day, and it's just amazing, flat out amazing, how much Leonard grew last season. Never seen growth like that since I been following this team.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    @ anyone who thinks that was a shot at Pop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard shot 45% from three in the playoffs.
    The playoffs accounted for 14 games. Not exactly unequivocal proof that he's arrived as an elite three-point shooter. Like I said though, we saw enough progression and consistency as the season wore on to think he could shoot 40% or better next season. That's why I said his defense is the area they need him to improve the most. He may not have elite lateral quickness, but there's been plenty of guys with less who were All-Defensive team types. And aside from that, he's got virtually every necessary ingredient to be an elite defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's more important for the Spurs that Leonard becomes all defense rather than all star

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the klutzy way he dribbles the ball on fast break at shoulder height!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being an elite defender requires a combination of athleticism and smarts. If you don't have a lot of the former, make up for it with the latter. That's how Duncan and Bowen were one of the most elite post-perimeter defensive combos of the modern era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after the amount of love I gave Kawhi this past season I didnt think it was possible for me to be more hyped on him. After reading that article, I am even more hyped up on Kawhi Leonard. Can't wait to continue watching his career unfold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Leonard will probably become a good starter who plays well on both sides of the ball, but he better know his role. He will never be a 1st or 2nd on a team, and I doubt he ever is depended on to score 15+ a game because he does not have what it takes to be a scorer.
    He was successful scoring some plays where he cuts to the basket, and he will continue to be a good corner 3 shooter. I just don't see the right tools (speed) to be a creator. If he develops a mid-range game, great.
    , he should just give up trying to get better since you have the rest of his entire career figured out after his rookie season...no offense man, but that is just redunkulous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard is the most exciting spur to watch.

I think the there should be a tacked Leonard thread at the top, first few pages being timvps game thoughts on Leonard, in sequence

I read some the other day, and it's just amazing, flat out amazing, how much Leonard grew last season. Never seen growth like that since I been following this team.
    Agreed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has the body, mentality, and athleticism to be a top 15 player IMO.
    With Tim getting older and most will be gone soon this would be a great transition since the Spurs will be rebuilding soon and they might have a piece to rebuild around! I would not mind this at all.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ anyone who thinks that was a shot at Pop.
    Right, he's about to be force fed on offense for an entire summer league and people think Pop is against it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, Leonard would be a HOF.

Can't wait to watch the summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Tim getting older and most will be gone soon this would be a great transition since the Spurs will be rebuilding soon and they might have a piece to rebuild around! I would not mind this at all.
    Just like how the Spurs got Duncan when Robinson was getting older but still had something left in the tank?

This continues the Spurs' excellence at the 3, even if it was punctuated by the Dark Age of Richard Jefferson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to see Kawhi develop a Paul Pierce-esque mid range jumper. Don't quite think he has the explosion to be some crazy above the rim guy, but he can throw it down when needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The playoffs accounted for 14 games. Not exactly unequivocal proof that he's arrived as an elite three-point shooter.

"Well said! I feel the good people of Spurstalk misjudge me just because my 3 point percentage drops from 42% to 32% once the playoffs roll around! You all can suck my red hairy balls!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like i said, the spurs system and the big 3 wankers

time to rebuild and move KL up the offensive system

we saw how easy it was for him to score last season, instead we took a guy out of college who was scoring inside with no problems, turning him into a spot up shooter...fkn lame

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt it was a shot at Pop. If anything, Kawhi's repeating what Pop and the coaches have been telling him all along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He made a shot at Pop and his role in the Spurs System...
    To some degree yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard is a solid player for his age/experience, however Spurs fan historically over estimates damn near every rookie. Blair was going to be the next Moses Malone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard is a solid player for his age/experience, however Spurs fan historically over estimates damn near every rookie. Blair was going to be the next Moses Malone.
    Unseld or Barkley, actually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like i said, the spurs system and the big 3 wankers

time to rebuild and move KL up the offensive system

we saw how easy it was for him to score last season, instead we took a guy out of college who was scoring inside with no problems, turning him into a spot up shooter...fkn lame
    So what got the Spurs to where they are and kept them there for, oh, 14 years running. Do what you want to do and become the Charlotte Bobcats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By chance do you remember a 26th pick named Rajon Rondo?

Had he not played along 3 Hall of Famers he probably wouldn't be the crazy assist machine he is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL lay off Pop guys, he started Leonard as a rookie last year, I'm pretty sure they don't hate each other. I wouldn't exactly say he's in the doghouse.

Thread Information