My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have diaw fck scola

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Logical move.
    He is the king of the empty stats and a choker in the Bonner mold.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A smart person on twitter just reminded me that a bid on Scola would eat into the cap space for next season. So it is not quite a certainty that Dallas makes a bid on him.
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. They might just stick with going after Brand. If not the Mavs, it's difficult to come up with a team off the top who'd claim Scola, but it's also difficult to envision him going unclaimed. If he somehow did, the Spurs would probably be at the top of his list though, even for the minimum.

This is all beyond extremely unlikely, but if it comes to fruition, they should sign him and have him replace Bonner in the rotation. Sure, he's probably in decline, his rebounding was pathetic last season and he's never been a good defender, but he's an excellent mid range shooter, a solid passer and possesses one of the best low post repertoires in the league. At the minimum, he'd be a steal.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone will claim him. At the very least, you have him on a minimum deal for 3 years, and that's excellent value. This is the value of being under the cap, you can get bargains on the amnesty guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. They might just stick with going after Brand. If not the Mavs, it's difficult to come up with a team off the top who'd claim Scola, but it's also difficult to envision him going unclaimed. If he somehow did, the Spurs would probably be at the top of his list though, even for the minimum.

This is all beyond extremely unlikely, but if it comes to fruition, they should sign him and have him replace Bonner in the rotation. Sure, he's probably in decline, his rebounding was pathetic last season and he's never been a good defender, but he's an excellent mid range shooter, a solid passer and possesses one of the best low post repertoires in the league. At the minimum, he'd be a steal.
    Why do you say the Spurs will be at the top of his list?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, this is a just wow amnesty. I get Brand to a degree but this one shocks me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rockets plan on using the amnesty clause to waive PF Luis Scola, which would clear roughly $21 million in salary space to make a run at not only C Dwight Howard now, but possibly PG Chris Paul a year from now.

If the Rockets follow through on their plan to amnesty Scola they'd be able to handle two max deals, after letting two excellent point guards (Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry) and Scola go, which would put them in position to make a real run at Paul next summer. And if they can get Howard on board (with both the plan and in a Rockets uniform), anything is possible here.

Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you say the Spurs will be at the top of his list?
    He's good friends with both Ginobili and Splitter and has always come off as disappointed at not being able to play with the Spurs.

But also, who would the alternative be? The Nets, Bobcats, Cavaliers, Warriors and maybe 76ers, are teams that come to mind as needing rotation quality power forwards. The Bobcats and Cavaliers can claim him, but I'm operating under the (unlikely) premise that no one does; so they're out. Say the Nets re-sign Humphries, which they're trying to do; they'd be out. That leaves the Warriors, who have a power forward who's going to log at least mid-thirties minutes per game. The 76ers, are a maybe, but seem intent on going with a cadre of long, athletic players at power forward. That leaves the Spurs, where he could play with two good friends, play at least 20 mpg off the bench have the possibility of eventually starting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brand's 18M salary came off Philly's cap via the amnesty. The amount of the winning bid gets added to the winning team's cap. The winning team pays that amount to Brand. The remainder of his salary is paid by Philly.
    Then I was right.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if parker gets all his buddies to come play with him then ginobili should also
    parker diaw starting
    ginobili/scola bench
    get nene or varejo to be butt buddies with splitter also

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's good friends with both Ginobili and Splitter and has always come off as disappointed at not being able to play with the Spurs.

But also, who would the alternative be? The Nets, Bobcats, Cavaliers, Warriors and maybe 76ers, are teams that come to mind as needing rotation quality power forwards. The Bobcats and Cavaliers can claim him, but I'm operating under the (unlikely) premise that no one does; so they're out. Say the Nets re-sign Humphries, which they're trying to do; they'd be out. That leaves the Warriors, who have a power forward who's going to log at least mid-thirties minutes per game. The 76ers, are a maybe, but seem intent on going with a cadre of long, athletic players at power forward. That leaves the Spurs, where he could play with two good friends, play at least 20 mpg off the bench have the possibility of eventually starting.
    I see. Well anything is better than that red headed choker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then I was right.
    You're welcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's way better than what Splitter will likely ever be... there's nothing empty about 14/8...

Plus he doesn't have a story of missing games with silly stuff...

But that's probably why he'll be priced above whatever the Spurs can afford...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could we create cap space by amnestying Boner?
    Why not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's way better than what Splitter will likely ever be... there's nothing empty about 14/8...

.5 steals and .4 blks disagree

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    The Spurs are way over the salary cap, If they use the amnesty on Bonner, they will still be over the salary cap, just by a smaller amount.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .5 steals and .4 blks disagree
    disagree with what?

Scola isn't a first tier big like Duncan/Bynum/Gasol... he's second tier, much like Odom... Odom put about the same numbers (including .6 steals, .7 blks) in his last good year (as a Laker).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are way over the salary cap, If they use the amnesty on Bonner, they will still be over the salary cap, just by a smaller amount.
    Nevermind, I got it mixed up with the luxury tax cap... thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone know what the policy is on amnestied players being traded? I'm assuming its the same as those claimed off of waivers, but does anyone know for sure?

If possible, it would be great to offer someone Blair/Neal/Bonner or any combination for them to put a bid on Scola or Brand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone know what the policy is on amnestied players being traded? I'm assuming its the same as those claimed off of waivers, but does anyone know for sure?

If possible, it would be great to offer someone Blair/Neal/Bonner or any combination for them to put a bid on Scola or Brand.
    Can't make room by trading players... you can only make room by waiving/using amnesty...

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't make room by trading players... you can only make room by waiving/using amnesty...

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67
    I meant offering those players to someone already under the cap (for example: the Cavs) in exchange for the amnestied players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Scola needs to play next to a strong defensive center. Duncan needs help not more work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola needs to play next to a strong defensive center. Duncan needs help not more work.
    Duncan is the best defensive center we have... tbh, Scola sucks on defense, but he isn't any worse than Diaw or Bonner...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant offering those players to someone already under the cap (for example: the Cavs) in exchange for the amnestied players.
    The answer was in that link. Players claimed through the amnesty process this month may not be traded until July 1, 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is the best defensive center we have... tbh, Scola sucks on defense, but he isn't any worse than Diaw or Bonner...
    Diaw is better defensively than Scola !

Thread Information