Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no real problem with what he's saying tbh. We do have a damn good record with him as a starter. It's obvious he's not on Pop's favorites list when he goes from being a starter to the last guy on the bench in the matter of a couple weeks. Besides, we drafted him in the 2nd round.. can you really be mad that he didn't turn out to be a great player? I wouldn't be surprised if he wan't here either. Thank him for his time here and move on.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejuan has definitely matured. But then again, comments like these will only help his image around the league. Reacting negatively to his lack of playing time in the post season (again) would only red flag him and get him into more trouble. I'm glad that he, his agent, or his management realized that and steered him towards a more mature approach.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish he would have trimmed down earlier. It may have made a difference.

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to start most the season and then be benched in the playoffs 2 years in a row.

If he's traded I wish him well. The Spurs need something else now.
    The dude with delicate knees admitted to eating his way out of the lineup last season and looked like this season and he says the spurs won when he played. He's basically saying " you Pop even though i suck"

Screw that Blair !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't he pretty much rip apart the Thunder most of the times we played them?

And then he never played against them in the playoffs?

Yep.............people in here aren't very bright. Blair didn't even get a chance to play in the playoffs. Not even when we were getting our asses handed to us by OKC. Pop ed that one up big time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two things are clear:

1. Pop views him as a regular season minutes eater, since the "starting Matt Bonner" experiment produced well, crap, and the Spurs lost a quality veteran big when Dice retired.

2. Pop doesn't pay attention to matchups by changing lineups so easily. Sure, there were no-brainers (like starting Kawhi against OKC to hold down Durant, or starting Tim and Tiago together against the Lakers the last two games of their series) but it required time for him to adapt (see the file under Andrew Bynum and 30 rebounds).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not being conceited, he's just saying what his agent told him to, I reckon. Dudes don't talk about having class or successfully getting their weight down or leading the Spurs to the #1 seed two years running (even if it were true).

Kid's not dumb -- he knows he's an extremely undersized big with a tendency to put on weight (and lug it cross-court on iffy knees) and sloppy offensive/defensive skills that have not improved appreciably in his time in SA. He got where he is because he wants to be an NBA player really, really bad, but that's a lot of strikes to have against you going into what may be your most important contract season on what will likely be a new team with a new system.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely no problem with what Blair said. That mentality is part of what makes him a still decently effective big man at 6'7.

Doesn't mean that the Spurs shouldn't continue to look for upgrades and/or move him. I don't believe he's a rotation player on a championship team. But I have zero issue with HIM thinking that he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can move him while he still looks like a 10 and 6 guy, tbh...

Of course once they trade him the team that takes him would be hard pressed to put him in the rotation, especially since he doesn't get Tony or Manu to set him up anymore...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would have been interesting to let Blair go against OKC. His forte is scoring in the paint and we could have certainly used more paint points. However I hope Pop is not thinking of starting him again next season to eat minutes and then switching up at the playoffs. Like Blair said it is idiotic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop wants one of him or Bonner traded, even for another wing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    move blair+bonner...play leonard and jax (+diaw) extended minutes at 4 and use duncan+splitter at the 5.

we don't need a 3rd real big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll imagine these lineups to be used:

Most regular season games:

Parker/SG(Green?)/Leonard/Diaw/Duncan

Lakers/Pistons/Twin Towers teams:

Parker/SG/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter

OKC/Miami/Small ball teams:

Parker/Manu/Leonard/Jackson/Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We lost in the 1st round with Blair starting, and made it to the WCF with Blair out of the lineup. We "lost" (no championship) both years. I don't understand the point he was trying to make with that line.
    Methinks Blair is a bit delusional on this statement. That said, I really don't have a problem with his statement and he has a right to wonder about his future. He also has a right to want to go elsewhere. I can't blame him for that.

Despite his physical limitations, Blair hustles, aggressively plays with passion and is productive when given minutes. Can't say the same for Bonner. Given the choice, I'd rather have Blair on this roster than Bonner.

If the Spurs really want to contend in Duncan's final couple of seasons, they need to upgrade the frontline and move on from both Blair and Bonner.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 07-09-2012 at 08:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you seen his tweets?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you seen his tweets?
    Here is one of his deep thoughts....

" The fact that we can't kiss our elbow is enough to make us realize that some things in life are very close to us, but still beyond our reach"

Lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's tumblr worthy stuff there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would have been interesting to let Blair go against OKC. His forte is scoring in the paint and we could have certainly used more paint points. However I hope Pop is not thinking of starting him again next season to eat minutes and then switching up at the playoffs. Like Blair said it is idiotic.
    I still don't get why he didn't play more. The second he came in in game 4 we got right back into the game and if KD doesn't go Jordan on us we win that game and most likely the series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had a positive +/- in Game 4.

Of course, Pop decides a choking stretch 4 who won a ring riding the pine is somehow better than a young undersized 4 in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DB's inability to come into camp in shape and remain that way throughout the season is a testament to his immaturity.

He's in the freakin NBA as an undersized "big" who you would think would put in a lot of extra work just to stay in the league.

Pop and the Spurs benching him is a lot of his own doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather have Chuck Hayes, tbh...

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off topic though I really wish we would have gotten Mario chalmers instead of him in the draft, we wouldnt have Gary Neal at backup pg right now.
    Hill was a better choice than Chalmers. Without Hill we wouldn't have Leonard at starting SF right now.

OTOH, Blair has a better win share than any player drafted after him. Blair's is 7th in his draft class win share. The best careers so far for those available at the time are:
    Marcus Thornton
    Jodie Meeks
    Chase Budinger
    Jonas Jerebko
    Danny Green
    Derrick Brown
    Jon Brockman
    A. J. Price
    Patty Mills
    Taylor Griffin
    Lester Hudson

Blair was a very good choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DB's inability to come into camp in shape and remain that way throughout the season is a testament to his immaturity.

He's in the freakin NBA as an undersized "big" who you would think would put in a lot of extra work just to stay in the league.

Pop and the Spurs benching him is a lot of his own doing.
    I regard Blair as a case of unrealized potential. If he had the work ethic exemplified by Tim Duncan, he wouldn't be wondering why the coach went away from him in the playoffs.

Compare him to Leonard who was a poor 3 point shooter in college. Without the benefit of summer league, access to team staff last summer, or a full training camp, he developed into a very good NBA 3 point shooter during the course of the season.

What upgrade to his game has Blair added in 3 seasons? Still can't make a shot outside of the paint. Got fat during the season. Still gets lost on defense.

Still a good value for the price as a minutes eater when the games matter less, but he hasn't raised his game to justify anything more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah after "he proved them wrong" after his rookie season, he's fallen off tbh. He lost the chip on his shoulder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill was a better choice than Chalmers. Without Hill we wouldn't have Leonard at starting SF right now.

OTOH, Blair has a better win share than any player drafted after him. Blair's is 7th in his draft class win share. The best careers so far for those available at the time are:
    Marcus Thornton
    Jodie Meeks
    Chase Budinger
    Jonas Jerebko
    Danny Green
    Derrick Brown
    Jon Brockman
    A. J. Price
    Patty Mills
    Taylor Griffin
    Lester Hudson

Blair was a very good choice.
    2009 second round was STAAAAACKED

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he were still killing the glass he'd be a great trade asset now I doubt he can bring in a 2nd rounder, he has a point if for nothing else but to sell himself to another team. He needs to get Malik Rose type game or he'll be out the league soon

Thread Information