Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This reported "largest offer in club history" highlights how far euro basketball is from even the salary for a decent big is in the nba. If I'm Lorbek I take less money with the spurs (and really not that much less tbh) in the hopes of getting an Asik type pay day in two years.

Yes barca is one of te best cities in the world. One of my personal fave. But go back there once you truly get paid Lorbek!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to admit that I am not all that disappointed that he's not coming over. Signing Lorbek would have meant that the Spurs are all about offensive firepower and outscoring their opponents without addressing the needs on the defensive end. I hope the FO is now turning their attention to acquiring a more defensive minded big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, no . . . they agreed but didn't sign the contract yet. I guess he's a gonner.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    If the dollar amount is true, then it's likely the Spurs just don't have him as a high priority (which is a little suprising due to his pedigree).
    The Spurs rarely give out the full MLE to anyone. I think the last time was Horry. I don't recall them ever giving it to a player who's never played even one NBA minute. Even Manu, who had a much better international pedigree, took a two year deal for the LLE.

If Lorbek wants to come over, he'll have to prove himself to SA if he eventually wants to get paid. Doesn't sound like he wants to do that. He was only a trade throw in, anyway. Spurs took a shot, and he apparently wasn't interested.

Next.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    OK, another proven NBA commodity. Good post D, very good rebounding, buttery jumper. They knew what they were getting.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Hey, where'd you go, AFB?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, where'd you go, AFB?
    Drive-by careless post by me. You caught me!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the dollar amount is true, then it's likely the Spurs just don't have him as a high priority (which is a little suprising due to his pedigree).
    It's not at all surprising, as Wild Cobra Kai alluded to.

I'd have been fine with him coming, but I'm also fine that he's more than likely not, too, for a variety of reasons. 1) He never seemed anything more than lukewarm about coming to the NBA. You always talk about "guys who you can go to war with"; he doesn't strike me as the type. 2) He was always going to be an awkward fit defensively and never would have been more than the fourth big. 3) They need more athleticism, mobility and rim protection, amongst their bigs. Adding him to a big rotation with Duncan, Diaw and Splitter, only would have exacerbated those problems. 4) Diaw needs to be their priority. Not that I thought he was going anywhere anyway, but Lorbek not coming makes Diaw returning even closer to a lock.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Nice, he can go for the back to back at the Palau.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one article says he will end up with about half after taxes- guess that would make about $1.85 million.
    That would be correct for a straight up income tax, but I'm fairly confident that a good accountant can get you to pay less, but I don't think he could get much under 30%, that's why I guessed $2.5M as a best case scenario.

If he would have gone to Barcelona for a big paycheck I would have understood, but if the Spurs offer is in the same ballpark I will be disapointed that he at least didn't try to find out how good he really is.

Let's see if we can get some confirmation/better info tomorrow.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the thing with amnestizing players is, that Peter Holt still would have to pay for Bonner (or at least the difference of his current contract and whatever another team would pay him).
    Lakers, Knicks, Nets ect. might not care, but we do (and thats just the way it is).
    That's Peter Holt's money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For less than 2M / yr? Wow, I don't see how it wouldn't have been worth it to bring him over at that price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For less than 2M / yr? Wow, I don't see how it wouldn't have been worth it to bring him over at that price.
    That's one person's guess of what he's getting after taxes. Bruno estimated that the Spurs would have to offer around 4M to make the offers equivalent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the marginal federal tax rate for the highest earners in 2012 the US is (an absurdly low) 35%. While his effective tax rate would actually be slightly lower than that, for ease of illustration let's use the marginal tax rate bc he'll make significantly more than $390k that it shouldnt impact the final tac liability that much anyway. That means that a comparable starting contract in the NBA would have to be around $3.1M. It helps that Texas ha no state taxes of course, or else the gross up would be more.

Barca is awesome, but if the money is the same? Come on and grow a pair and try your luck in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one person's guess of what he's getting after taxes. Bruno estimated that the Spurs would have to offer around 4M to make the offers equivalent.
    Oh ok. Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner's not going anywhere. Book it.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Bonner's not going anywhere. Book it.
    Not next year, but I'd guess they'll buy him out next summer for $1M for that final year, or trade him to someone who will.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's Peter Holt's money.
    Holt only leads the investors' group, he does not put up all the money, afaik.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to focus on Camby or Kaman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to focus on Camby or Kaman.
    According to Lorbek, that's where the focus has been all along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Lorbek, that's where the focus has been all along.
    Ditto

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until we see the news that Lorbek chose Barcelona for another source, I'm going to take it with a giant grain of salt. If Lorbek really did sign one of the largest contracts in European basketball history, it'd be in more than one publication.

Anyways, Lorbek obviously wasn't the Spurs priority in this offseason so we can't be too sad if he decides to sign somewhere else. If the Spurs really, really wanted him, they wouldn't have told him to hold on while they chase 232-year-old Marcus Camby.

Random member
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I'm fairly confident that a good accountant can get you to pay less

I'm sure Barcelona can hook him up with Eto'o's accountant.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Eto'o
    mercenary
    tax evader

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something I just noticed: Diaw and Lorbek share an agent (Diaw's primary agent is Lorbek's secondary agent). That probably makes it more difficult to squeeze both of them into the MLE. It also makes it impossible to negotiate with one of them without both hearing about it.

That could explain why the spurs are doing other work first (going after Camby and De Colo) before tackling Diaw and Lorbek.

Thread Information