My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suns have Barbosa, Nash & Dragić!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal law has required immigrants and visitors to the U.S. to carry their papers on them since the 1940's when the law was passed by Democrats and signed by FDR.

The law is pretty much the same in almost every country in the world.
    THIS....I have traveled to Italy, Germany, and Austrailia and you are instructed to have passport on person while there - Mexico has law that reads the exact same thing - we issue proper do ents to LEGAL immigrants (residents,students, workers or traveling) for a reason - it allows officials to know they have been through legal proccess to be in the US and for what purpose

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MLB Players Association has come out against the Arizona law. Some sports bloggers are calling for boycott of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

So much ignorance in the boycott calls, but not surprising. Stupidity abounds on the east coast.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A drivers licence or state issued ID works. You should read the bill before you say you dislike it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/opinion/29kobach.html
    No logic allowed, only feigned outrage buoyed by complete ignorance of the law in question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A drivers licence or state issued ID works. You should read the bill before you say you dislike it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/opinion/29kobach.html
    Where does the bill say a license or ID works?

I thought the bill said:

A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
    24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE
    25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
    26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).
    That sounds like someone would need to produce something like a birth certificate or immigration card.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd heard the same thing regarding the license/state ID/green card (via McLaughlin group last night) - but I don't know that's written into the law. I'm guessing it's an assumption made on the basis that you can't get a valid driver's license or state ID card if you can't produce evidence of your citizenship or legally allowable presence in the US.

The joke was funny.

The bill has been changed in ways which allay my concerns about racial profiling. I can't argue with a border state attempting to enforce federal laws. The same thing - checking immigration/citizenship status was considered here in Houston (checked if someone was arrested or charged with a crime) with nowhere near the firestorm, except from groups that support amnesty for illegal immigrants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can easily get a driver's license in Los Angeles without a green card/work permit. You just buy a social security card off Van Nuys Blvd, take it to the DMV and Voila! - you can get a license.

Anyway, I don't think the law specifies driver's license is OK. (unless I missed something).

It just says:

For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable su ion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, you are correct, Kori. I just think that's where the statement is coming from, you know?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Robert Sarver is probably already making calls to PHO PD.

Robert Sarver contributed money to a democratic congressional candidate in 2008 that I know personally, he's a pretty liberal guy. Just cheap as .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    And I'll willingly admit that it's embarrassing to live in the state these jokes are being made about. Don't get me wrong, I've made jokes and would make tons more if I lived somewhere else. It's just sickening to be associated with such a blatantly racist law that takes away cons utional rights.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is the white man who illegally entered Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. People seem to forget that when they tell Mexicans to go home.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Right, nothing to be concerned about.

Being asked for your papers has been one of the marks of a great nation throughout history.
    Most of them, yes.

Makes you say hmmm... YoMamaIsCallin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is the white man who illegally entered Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. People seem to forget that when they tell Mexicans to go home.
    Oh so that means what? That we should give it back?

The right answer is to do what GW Bush tried to do in his first term, and got shot down by both sides (left and right). That is to give illegal aliens who were already here the ability to go through a process and stay here, and to ins ute a guest worker program for the future. This would have instantly transformed all "illegals" into "legals" and put them into the system, on a path to become citizens if they wished to be, or to decide they didn't want to go through the program and return to their home countries.

The right didn't like it because it "rewards" illegals. The left didn't like it because it was "too harsh" on illegals. So it was probably exactly the right thing to do. Unfortunately there's little room for reasonable, middle-of-the-road programs in today's polarized environment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can easily get a driver's license in Los Angeles without a green card/work permit. You just buy a social security card off Van Nuys Blvd, take it to the DMV and Voila! - you can get a license.

Anyway, I don't think the law specifies driver's license is OK. (unless I missed something).

It just says:
    For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable su ion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person.
    You are right, the law doesn't specify that a driver's license will work. Those comments are based on other law that says that the absence of a driver's license while operating a motor vehicle is sufficient probable cause to investigate further. Sometimes people just leave their wallet at home. But if you get pulled over, and you aren't carrying it, you should expect to come under su ion.

A lot of these comments are pretty naive and uninformed. If you're operating a vehicle and you don't have your license with you, you are subject to arrest. If you can later show that you do, in fact, possess a valid license, the ticket gets dropped. BUT... you probably don't know that right now, in Texas, if you are fishing you must carry your fishing license AND your driver's license or personal ID issued by the DPS. Non-residents have to carry an authorized ID from their state or country of residence. Anyone who doesn't present an ID is subject to arrest, and even if you later prove that you own one you still pay the fine(s).

Not only that, but if a game warden believes that a person has been engaged in hunting or fishing, he can demand do ents such as ID, hunting/fishing license, tags, etc. He can also inspect your car, boat, ice chest, whatever. He doesn't even have to actually see the person hunting or fishing, just have reasonable su ion. And if he happens to find any other illegal substances in the process, it's all part of a legal search and seizure.

If we were looking for a reason to harass people because of their skin color, the fish and game laws would be used that way all the time. Line up all the police and sheriffs, and point to the ones that you believe are eager to arrest people based on skin color. Regardless of what you read, there just aren't that many of them out there.

It should be pretty obvious that a driver who can't produce a license should be suspected of driving illegally. It's also common for people who already have a criminal record to claim not to have a license with them, because they don't want to be identified. I don't know what good they think it will do in the long run, but they do it all the time. You should talk to some law enforcement officers before rushing to judgement on some of this. Find out how often people claim not to have their license, and when they get arrested it turns out it is right there in their wallet.

If you get pulled over for cause, the officer has the right to ask for your license. If you try to evade arrest, don't have ID, smell like pot, etc. he has reasonable su ion to check for other possible illegal activity. If you have 5 more frightened-acting people in the car, or someone in the trunk (happens all the time in AZ), that qualifies as reasonable su ion. Are you really suggesting that when a driver has people in the trunk we shouldn't be able to at least INQUIRE about legal immigration status? If you agree that it's reasonable under those cir stances, then the only question is when and where to draw the line.

Here are a couple of other things to consider. We have averaged over 2,000 people entering the country illegally, every day, 365 days per year, for the last 15 years! Mexico now loses more people per year across the U.S. border than they lose to their death rate. Mexico's second largest source of revenue, after petroleum, is the money being sent back by from the U.S. (probably third if you count drug revenues). The people are pawns in a political/economic game that benefits a relatively small group of people. The system is broken, and they have an interest in keeping it that way.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh so that means what? That we should give it back?

The right answer is to do what GW Bush tried to do in his first term, and got shot down by both sides (left and right). That is to give illegal aliens who were already here the ability to go through a process and stay here, and to ins ute a guest worker program for the future. This would have instantly transformed all "illegals" into "legals" and put them into the system, on a path to become citizens if they wished to be, or to decide they didn't want to go through the program and return to their home countries.

The right didn't like it because it "rewards" illegals. The left didn't like it because it was "too harsh" on illegals. So it was probably exactly the right thing to do. Unfortunately there's little room for reasonable, middle-of-the-road programs in today's polarized environment.
    the few illegals that I know, wouldn't even take advantage of that, I tried to get them to take action towards citizenship many times, but they don't give a rat's ass about being "illegals". they still get their paycheck, they have their systems in place to get here illegally whenever they want to, and when they're ready to settle down with a family, they're out of here anyways, they admit that Mexico is pretty ed up right now, And America is the better place to live, but they don't care, Mexico is home, America is a paycheck.

but that's just the couple I know...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm pretty well sick of that , too. Two of my four grandparents lived on reservations. My grandfather was told that he couldn't go to school, because he was an Indian (Native Americans hadn't been invented yet). With the logic of a child, he decided it was because he didn't have shoes. He found some black crap and painted his feet with it, and damned near died from what they called "blood poisoning". I got news for you - Spanish isn't the native tongue in this country, either. I spent a of a lot of time in Mexico when I was young and bulletproof. I also lived in Israel for a year, and saw that bull up close. If you go looking for first causes, you're on the road to nowhere.

Corruption on both sides of the border is the enemy. Not (most of) the people who come looking for work. And not the citizens of Arizona who have to deal with the broken system every day. I don't know of a single other country on the planet that willingly chooses not to enforce sovereignty over their own borders. No amount of discussion or rationalization can make that practice logical.

Oh, and my grandfather who painted his feet? One of his daughters died from snakebite while picking beans - she was six. He became a blacksmith and farrier, and proudly served this country in the U.S. Cavalry. He got TB while doing it, which he died from. But he had a saying that is part of our family: "Anyone who goes looking for an excuse is going to find one. Don't even bother telling me yours."

Be careful about spouting the reductionist history they teach you in public school.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does that mean no more Noche Latina nights in Phoenix?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and my grandfather who painted his feet? One of his daughters died from snakebite while picking beans - she was six. He became a blacksmith and farrier, and proudly served this country in the U.S. Cavalry. He got TB while doing it, which he died from. But he had a saying that is part of our family: "Anyone who goes looking for an excuse is going to find one. Don't even bother telling me yours."
    Love the quote

Pop, the Mastermind superjames1992's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, police could legally detain Manu, Parker and Duncan if they forget to bring their immigration papers.

Robert Sarver is probably already making calls to PHO PD.
    You really don't know anything about the bill, do you?

And Timmy is an American citizen and has been since the day he was born.

Pop, the Mastermind superjames1992's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the NBA is quite aware of this Arizona law.

David Stern was on a local radio show in LA yesterday and he was pissed. Saying the NBA is looking in to this situation with Az's law but the law doesn't go in to effect until August, after the NBA playoffs are done. Stern even referred to the NBA as a "progressive" organization. (Take that, Glenn Beck.)

He also sung the praises of the Spurs, Tim Duncan and Manu.
    I really hate when supposedly non-political organizations like this starting getting political. That takes the fun out of the game. I don't want the NBA to tell me what to think politically.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If police & immigration officials do not ask questions or investigate possible illegal aliens, how are they going to know whether a person is here legally or illegally? And if they do, that is racist?(Seems like the new buzzword is racist..you don't like the president..your a racist, you are ok with the Tea Party..you are a racist etc) We go through DUI & insurance checkpoints & they make you produce multiple forms if id...why not get mad about those "invasion" of our rights? Illegal immigration has become an epidemic & some states are starting to do what the bog govt. should have done a long time ago.

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a real basketball thread. Belongs in the political forum and yes, I am policing this crap because it's stupid to bring it here, and OP should have taken this elsewhere.
    /thread

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People act like just because someone's illegal it means they're breaking the law or something.
    funny, I thought that was redundant.

Thread Information