My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupidity has no borders.

Makes you say hmmm... YoMamaIsCallin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is so overblown it's ridiculous. This law is being used, cynically, by those forces who want illegals to be able to stay here and be citizens (or quasi-citizens) with no repercussions. It's simply a political power play, whipping people up into a frenzy.

The Arizona legislature has clarified that this law is only intended to allow police to check residency status of people they detain or arrest. And appearance/race is not a reason for stopping people.

"Lawmakers on Thursday night changed the language to require scrutiny only of people who police stop, detain or arrest. They also changed a section of the bill that barred officers from "solely" using race as grounds for suspecting someone is in the country illegally; opponents had argued that that would allow race to be a factor. The legislators removed the word "solely" to bar race from being used by officers enforcing the law."

This is not Nazi Germany where you have to carry papers everywhere you go. However, if you are stopped or arrested in Arizona, you may get your residency status checked. Why is that such a problem? The police can check every other freakin' thing about you, and if you have any outstanding illegalities on your record, they will process them on you. Why not this one?

Because the thrust of the protest against this is that being in this country is NOT illegal and should NOT be used as a basis for denying people services or deporting them. Why do you think they are trying to push the term "undo ented"? Because it implies you're just missing some silly do ents, and you should have all the rights and privileges of being here in the USA. They are also trying to make it a "human rights" issue.

Don't be fooled. You are being spun by all these news stories and protests to believe that illegals should be given everything we have and be allowed to stay here with all rights and privileges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, nothing to be concerned about.

Being asked for your papers has been one of the marks of a great nation throughout history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, nothing to be concerned about.

Being asked for your papers has been one of the marks of a great nation throughout history.
    Try actually reading my post. People are NOT going to be "asked for their papers". It will be part of what the police check for when you are stopped or arrested. Like they check for everything else ("wants and warrants" on both you and your car).

Like I said, the real question no one is asking is: If you are in this country illegally, should that be treated like every other violation of the law? Or should we treat it specially, and not check up on people unless.... what? Never? Only if they are convicted of a felony? What?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a real basketball thread. Belongs in the political forum and yes, I am policing this crap because it's stupid to bring it here, and OP should have taken this elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the NBA is quite aware of this Arizona law.

David Stern was on a local radio show in LA yesterday and he was pissed. Saying the NBA is looking in to this situation with Az's law but the law doesn't go in to effect until August, after the NBA playoffs are done. Stern even referred to the NBA as a "progressive" organization. (Take that, Glenn Beck.)

He also sung the praises of the Spurs, Tim Duncan and Manu.
    I am really tired of "progressive" being equated to "handcuffing the police".

I'm reminded of the Pulp Fiction quote on the Amsterdam police:

JULES: Well, hash is legal there, right?

VINCENT: Yeah, it's legal, but is ain't a hundred percent legal. I mean you can't walk into a restaurant, roll a joint, and start puffin' away. You're only supposed to smoke in your home or certain designated places.

JULES: Those are hash bars?

VINCENT: Yeah, it breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, which doesn't really matter 'cause -- get a load of this -- if the cops stop you, it's illegal for them to search you. Searching you is a right that the cops in Amsterdam don't have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't know Spurstalk was a Mexican looking immigrant in Arizona

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try actually reading my post. People are NOT going to be "asked for their papers". It will be part of what the police check for when you are stopped or arrested. Like they check for everything else ("wants and warrants" on both you and your car).

Like I said, the real question no one is asking is: If you are in this country illegally, should that be treated like every other violation of the law? Or should we treat it specially, and not check up on people unless.... what? Never? Only if they are convicted of a felony? What?
    Flagrant 1......

Illegal folks. Learn the word. Surely none of the NBA's finest are here ILLEGALLY, right? So what's Stern beefing about anyway? And what was the OP's point?

This is not a real basketball thread. Belongs in the political forum and yes, I am policing this crap because it's stupid to bring it here, and OP should have taken this elsewhere.
    Flagrant 2....... Get this outta here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "They're treating those illegals so terribly! Like they're criminals or something.."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is an american citizen. US VI born residents get the US passport automatically by default, like Puertoricans. They live in US territories.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the "dirty mexicans" of San Antonio vs. the racial profilers of Arizona!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it weren't for illegals, the NBA wouldn't have anyone to charge you $6.00 for a 12 ounce beer...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A joke post turns into a big fight about immigration!? Too many days between games...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually thought the joke was funny - I just didn't get why he included TD.

Believe.
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    This law is going to be scrapped soon enough. The righties know this looks bad on them. They need the latino vote to get elected and that's not happening if this law stays.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Spurs planning on having run-ins with the police?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "They're treating those illegals so terribly! Like they're criminals or something.."
    People act like just because someone's illegal it means they're breaking the law or something.

You can't fix stupid..... E-RockWill's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Insert any line from "Born in East LA" here...........

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol funny, but I doubt they will be that strict with obviously citizens.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am against the law but it is obvious that most of you have not read the bill. It essentially forces Arizona police to obey federal laws. They have to have probable cause to stop someone, not just because they see someone with dark skin.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am against the law but it is obvious that most of you have not read the bill. It essentially forces Arizona police to obey federal laws. They have to have probable cause to stop someone, not just because they see someone with dark skin.
    probable cause, probable cause, you don't have to break no laws if they say probable cause

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a hole of a state. it'll make beating the sons that much sweeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am against the law but it is obvious that most of you have not read the bill. It essentially forces Arizona police to obey federal laws.
    Obeying federal law is one thing, enforcing it (as local law enforcement) is another.

It's like the old Andy Griffith episode where Barney gives a guy a ticket and the guy gets mad and starts yelling "citizen's arrest" after Barney makes a U-turn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A drivers licence or state issued ID works. You should read the bill before you say you dislike it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/opinion/29kobach.html
    again, there is a political forum, but you are incorrect sir. You need an ARIZONA license. A Texas license won't do if you look foreign.

and to the other idiot who said they only stop ppl who commit crimes. wrong too, they can ask for papers even if you don't commit a crime. but we digress....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal law has required immigrants and visitors to the U.S. to carry their papers on them since the 1940's when the law was passed by Democrats and signed by FDR.

The law is pretty much the same in almost every country in the world.

Thread Information