My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    asked for his take on a schedule that had the Spurs tipping off in New York less than 24 hours after the start of their game in Milwaukee, Popovich said: “It makes a lot of sense. I think that any team that can get in night before a back-to-back, go to bed at 4 or 4:30 in the morning, then play at 6 the next day, I think that’s a good thing. I think more of us should do that. Really puts a good product out on the floor. …

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop at his best. Gotta love it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he'll be hearing from the league office.. borderline insubordination LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a point.

It's one thing for the casual fan not to think about things like postgame, travel, time zone changes, and start times. It's another for the NBA executives, and whoever is in charge of scheduling the games.

The game against the Bucks ended at ~10:30pm last night, our time, and tonight's game tipped off at 5:00pm, our time. That's 16 and a half hours to get through with post game and interviews, travel to the airport, fly from Milwaukee to New York, travel to the hotel, sleep, and then get ready for another game.

And that's all coming off of an NBA game which, mind you, isn't exactly a walk in the park.

It's unfair because it definitely affects the product that is put out on the floor, which is what the fans pay to see and what the teams depend on. I know it's tough to put out an 82-game schedule that will make 30 teams happy, but come on. Plug those numbers into a computer and let it figure it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somewhere David Stern was beating a pros ute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This happens again in a few days. Washington on the 2nd, then Toronto the next day at 5. I dont get it. This one will be tougher too, because of customs in Canada

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who gives a damn about the schedule? If you have to play the game you might as well win it.

The '72 Lakers had 2 back-to-back-to-backs (3 games in 3 nights) during their 33 game win streak. All traveling commercial flights in areas that were around 85 to 90 degrees in temperature.

There were several times when teams would travel cross country on back to backs. The Lakers once had to play a game in LA, fly out the same night to Philly and play the next night. I forgot all the problems but the Lakers didn't get to leave until around 10 in the morning LA time (1 PM Philly time) take the four hour flight to Philly, get there at 5 and play at 7. That still doesn't sound right. I want to say it took longer.

Still, my point is that teams today have it easy and shouldn't complain about staying at Four Seasons in New York while traveling in private planes.
    who cares about the 70s? Then we should play with a ball made from a pigs hide and execute the team that loses. Point is we have computers that can run algorithms to fix this sort of up. There is no need to play ridiculous games in less than 24 hours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who gives a damn about the schedule? If you have to play the game you might as well win it.

The '72 Lakers had 2 back-to-back-to-backs (3 games in 3 nights) during their 33 game win streak. All traveling commercial flights in areas that were around 85 to 90 degrees in temperature.

There were several times when teams would travel cross country on back to backs. The Lakers once had to play a game in LA, fly out the same night to Philly and play the next night. I forgot all the problems but the Lakers didn't get to leave until around 10 in the morning LA time (1 PM Philly time) take the four hour flight to Philly, get there at 5 and play at 7. That still doesn't sound right. I want to say it took longer.

Still, my point is that teams today have it easy and shouldn't complain about staying at Four Seasons in New York while traveling in private planes.
    Back then you could argue that they didn't have the necessary means to do things right. But nowadays, with computers being able to generate schedules to maximize the product on the floor and almost limitless resources to carry it through, it's kind of idiotic that you get into these situations. Because teams in other years had worse experiences does not justify this one. After all, didn't the Spurs had a couple of 4 days of wait in between games early in the season? Couldn't you have squeezed the NY game there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read in Manu's facebook that the team was stuck on the run way going to NY. Probably explains why they got in so late.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plug those numbers into a computer and let it figure it out.
    pretty sure that's what's happening already. write a better algorithm nba!

so many programmers suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fire the schedule makers !!!

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, that's not a big problem in the reg season but i always thought it is a big problem in the playoffs when the intesity of the games ar realy high.
    if the whole playoff took 5 or 7 days more it would not hurt players.
    but the power of money is more powerfull then the power of good performances

Thread Information