My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, my 8th round Dark Horse is Devin Carter:

PG/SG
    Height: 6-foot-2 2.5" - Without Shoes
    Wing Span: 6-foot - 8 .75"
    Standing Reach - 8.2

* Set the NBA combine record with fastest 3/4 Sprint Time - 42 inch Vertical Jump, Pro Lane agility he tied with 3rd place
    * Father is NBA Anthony Carter

South Carolina 2022 - 3 Ball-.267, FT# -.688
    Providence 2023 - 3 Ball -.299, FT# - .720
    Providence 2024 - 3 Ball -.377, FT# - .749, Steals- 1.8, Blocks - 1.0, Rebound 8.7

A very good defender who is an elite rebounder for his position and someone who can lock down 1's and guard 2's - Gives you another ball handler whose outside shooting has improved every year in college. The thing I like about him is that he just wants to win it's not about his numbers it's about getting steal, blocks, rebounds, doing all the little things to get your team the W...
    Last edited by BackHome; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always thought that if Jose Alvarado were a bit taller and longer that he'd be deadly, and that's kinda what Devin Carter is-- a taller longer Alvarado. He's 2" taller with an extra 7"+ of wingspan.

I think Carter provokes an interesting draft philosophy question: if you have Wembanyama and Vassell, does it make sense to use the 8th pick to grab a potentially great 6th man? If you think the 4th pick is a future starter and another starter can eventually be had though trades or free agency, the idea of a top notch 6th man could be very valuable. Alvarado's advanced stats and +/- are elite, and Carter's could be even better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 still seems high for Carter to me. I think he’s a solid prospect, particularly on defense, but that’s a little rich for my blood personally. His slow-release jumper still looks weird to me too, and I’m wondering if his 3-point shooting this year will hold up or if it was a flash in the pan since it was his only season shooting above 30% from 3 in college.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 still seems high for Carter to me. I think he’s a solid prospect, particularly on defense, but that’s a little rich for my blood personally. His slow-release jumper still looks weird to me too. I’m wondering if his 3-point shooting this year will hold up or if it was a flash in the pan since it was his only years shooting above 30% from 3 in college.
    His father had a terrible jump shot. I still remember during the '03-'04 season when his dad was playing for the Spurs and how I would cringe every time his dad took a jump shot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 still seems high for Carter to me. I think he’s a solid prospect, particularly on defense, but that’s a little rich for my blood personally. His slow-release jumper still looks weird to me too, and I’m wondering if his 3-point shooting this year will hold up or if it was a flash in the pan since it was his only season shooting above 30% from 3 in college.
    It's a tough choice to make, tbh.
    Sometimes I feel like modern scouting and analytics undervalue older players too much.
    Carter just turned 22. He's older, but it's not like he can't improve on his deficiencies.
    We've seen NBA veterans change their game after they turn 30 in order to stay in the league.

Derrick was already 23 when he got drafted and many teams passed on him because of his age.
    He's the closest comparison to Castle and ended up as a top10 player from 2017 draft.

If Spurs go for a wing with #4 , I think Carter should be #8.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Carter and a Caruso-like menace. If we take him, we absolutely better have had something lined up at 4 or lined up in the FA/trade market for a shot creator. Despite being a guard and blowing up the combine, I don’t see him being good enough to create for himself or others on dribble drives. He’ll be able to spot up and attack close outs, but that’s about the best we can hope for out of him on the offensive end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m with you, LeBowen. Matas/Carter is quickly turning into my preferred (realistic) pairing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carter has been my guy at 8 since the combine. I think Memphis will select him at 9 if we don't.

As happy as the FO is that they landed Wemby, I bet they still have regrets to this day giving D. White to Boston for pennies so far.

There's a chance that they get a similar players in Derrick White with Devin Carter.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m with you, LeBowen. Matas/Carter is quickly turning into my preferred (realistic) pairing.
    I'm not that high on Matas, but it would make sense.
    I definitely don't want Holland.
    If by some miracle Risacher drops to #4, it would be ideal.
    Castle/Carter looks subpar on paper if we talk star potential, but if we get two elite defenders with potential to growth, we'll look favorably on this draft some years down the line.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you end up trading back with a team like Chicago it’s because you’re targeting this guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reasons Castle is ranked higher than Carter are because he played for a more prestigious program, he's 3.5 inches taller and 2.6 years younger.

Castle has him by 15 pounds and 0.02 inches by wingspan, but Carter plays much bigger as evidenced by his elite "event creation" (2.8 blk% and 2.9stl % which in the NBA would tie for 30th and 1st respectively) and all-time guard rebounding (23.7 drbr % to 12 %; the former is equal to Holmes and greater than Clingan and Filipowski by .3 and 1.1% respectively).

He's also a way better 3-point shooter (37.7% on 6.6 3PA/G to 26.7% on 2/2 3PA/G).

We've seen teams constantly overrate the former's (high bust rate) archetype and underrate the latter's (high hit rate) archetype for these same reasons.

The Spurs have been beneficiaries with the likes of Hill, Murray and White. Others include Caruso, Podziemski, Nembhard, Mann, Melton, Brogdon, Brown and Quickley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [B]

* Set the NBA combine record with fastest 3/4 Sprint Time - 42 inch Vertical Jump
    James White!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Carter will make the all-rookie team and earn votes for rookie of the year. I just think it won’t be with us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to agree. His shot looks like max effort every time to get it loaded and heaved every time, the opposite of effortless. History cautions against cases like Davion Mitc of previously bad shooting defensive players who manage to finally crank a solid 3pt shooting season while bullying younger inexperienced college opponents.

Davion did go 9th and if that's a pick people liked then I could see the appeal

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to agree. His shot looks like max effort every time to get it loaded and heaved every time, the opposite of effortless. History cautions against cases like Davion Mitc of previously bad shooting defensive players who manage to finally crank a solid 3pt shooting season while bullying younger inexperienced college opponents.

Davion did go 9th and if that's a pick people liked then I could see the appeal
    I agree and would add another example, who happens to come from the same programm: Kris Dunn.
    he had an awful shot in his first two college years, got better to an average level, people thought he somehow figured it out and that pushed him to top 5.
    but he didn't, like you said, he just figured out to hit some more shots against overwhelmed college kids.
    Dunn was drafted more or less on the exactly same expectations people see with Carter - and there are a lot of similarities, other than Providence.

(btw.......for those who fall for bad omens.....Dunn was born on 18th of March.........guess the date of Carter's birth....)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Carter will make the all-rookie team and earn votes for rookie of the year. I just think it won’t be with us.
    Don't sell the guy short, I say all star and All NBA Team .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RGMers were pushing a Butler-to-LAL scenario where the Heat get 17 and 18. In that scenario, I'd be interested in 15 and 18 for 8 and say 35. The Heat get a top-10 pick and the Spurs can take one of the PGs and forwards who will fall. Carter, Collier, McCain and even Topic with his injury are examples of PGs who could be around at 15, and Holland, Smith, Klintman and Edey are examples of front-court players who could be there at 18. The Spurs would still have 4 to go after their BPA (Sheppard, Castle, Buzelis, Dillingham)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be more than happy with Buzelis at 4, with Castle or Carter at 8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever I see Carter in videos, it seems he's in control and in charge of the moment. Offensively he wants the ball or on defense he is making things happen. Other than Wemby and Vassell, we don't have players like that, but we could sure use one. Some of our guys can barely inbound the ball without looking afraid t do so.

He would easily fit in our back court providing us with a better backup or a possible starter down the road. Picking him at 8 would be a smart move.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever I see Carter in videos, it seems he's in control and in charge of the moment. Offensively he wants the ball or on defense he is making things happen. Other than Wemby and Vassell, we don't have players like that, but we could sure use one. Some of our guys can barely inbound the ball without looking afraid t do so.

He would easily fit in our back court providing us with a better backup or a possible starter down the road. Picking him at 8 would be a smart move.
    Reminds me of a more athletic Derrick White, with the ability to get to the hole.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he ends up being as scrubby as his worthless dad -

pass....

unless - you trade pick #35 and/ or wesley or another scrub for a higher pick...to get him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is he REALLY good at?

You need at least one area above average to exist in NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RGMers were pushing a Butler-to-LAL scenario where the Heat get 17 and 18. In that scenario, I'd be interested in 15 and 18 for 8 and say 35. The Heat get a top-10 pick and the Spurs can take one of the PGs and forwards who will fall. Carter, Collier, McCain and even Topic with his injury are examples of PGs who could be around at 15, and Holland, Smith, Klintman and Edey are examples of front-court players who could be there at 18. The Spurs would still have 4 to go after their BPA (Sheppard, Castle, Buzelis, Dillingham)
    I do that. I’d also do 4 for 7+14 if that opportunity presented itself even though that means SA loses out on their chance to get their highest ranked guy at 4.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is he REALLY good at?

You need at least one area above average to exist in NBA
    From what I understand: blocks, steals, rebounds, POA defense and defense in general look to be from very good to elite.

The issue is that he has improved on offense to be an above average shooter for this last year, a distinction from other elite defenders.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My favorite targets at 8 are Dillingham and Sheppard but if we could land one of Carter or McCain with 17 & 18 I'd seriously consider that trade. However, it's highly likely they're all gone by the mid teens (except for probably Collier) so I think a late teens pick is not worth losing out on all of the best guard prospects.

Thread Information