Page 9 of 339 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly which is why "tanking" for a top 3 pick doesn't make much sense when I don't think there's a lot of difference between picks 1-10 in this draft from a talent perspective
    how many ncaa games have you watched this season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t remember Pop saying wins. He’s never like that even during championship years. He would DNP and rest players to prepare for the long haul and the playoffs. Defense yes! And as long as they compete. His answer at a sideline interview when asked how how he prepares for this group, his answer was he could only expect so much from what they could do but as long as they are competing.
    you obviously didn't see the interview where he said that this season winning matters for the development and it starts with defense. Both things ain't happening here. So was he lying? I'm directly quoting Pop from media day before the season started.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young guys tend to lean into their athleticism, and not worry too much about fundamentals. That penalizes you every time you go up a level, or at the end of your career when your athleticism wanes.

Just look at Scoot. He’s ing horrible,and some of us saw it coming, because he wasn’t all that in the gleague. Almost no fundamentals, and maybe B+ NBA athleticism.

Oh, and Castle isn’t an elite athlete by NBA standards. He’s not going to break you ankle getting to the rim, but he’ll use good position,smarts, and ball handling to do so. We both like him,but you see him as elite athletically when he isn’t.

Here’s my grid

1. High BBIQ, high athleticism
    No brainer, but these guys are usually only available at picks 1-3

2. High BBIQ, mid athleticism
    Need these guys for your team

3. Low BBIQ, high athleticism
    These guys bust at a really high rate, but NBA GMs love to draft them.

4. Low BBIQ, low athleticism.
    No NBA career. Probably not drafted at all.
    Last edited by exstatic; 11-20-2023 at 10:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's too early to say definitely, but I'm liking Alex Sarr more and more-- defense + length + evolving offensive game. I'd rather draft a defensive player with length and versatility over a PG, who would need to develop alongside a bunch of young guys who are also developing. Use some draft picks + a player to get a PG who's already got some experience and can lead the offense. Sarr next to Wemby has the potential to have a brilliant defensive (French) synergy. His D reminds me of Jonathan Isaac's, who before all of his injuries was getting praise as a potential future DPOY type.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's too early to say definitely, but I'm liking Alex Sarr more and more-- defense + length + evolving offensive game. I'd rather draft a defensive player with length and versatility over a PG, who would need to develop alongside a bunch of young guys who are also developing. Use some draft picks + a player to get a PG who's already got some experience and can lead the offense. Sarr next to Wemby has the potential to have a brilliant defensive (French) synergy. His D reminds me of Jonathan Isaac's, who before all of his injuries was getting praise as a potential future DPOY type.
    Any player is going to need development, Sarr included. If we’re going to develop someone, let it be a PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a 6'8 wing player with ball handling skills tbh.... make it happen guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you obviously didn't see the interview where he said that this season winning matters for the development and it starts with defense. Both things ain't happening here. So was he lying? I'm directly quoting Pop from media day before the season started.
    I’d probably paraphrase that as record wise. Pop knows what he can expect from these guys and it’s not going to amount to a lot of wins, but as long as they are competing. Pop is not dumb. It’s obvious Sochan is not the best option at PG. He could easily get a “George Hill” and easily is a better PG than Sochan and possibly get the Spurs some meaningless Wins. But what does it do towards developing Sochan as a ballhandler/facilitator? You know Pop, having followed the Spurs a long time. I agree with “winning by playing defense” on the emphasis of playing solid defense. But it would be taking out of context saying he cares about “Wins” as record-wise. No he’s not lying, but taking out of context, I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d probably paraphrase that as record wise. Pop knows what he can expect from these guys and it’s not going to amount to a lot of wins, but as long as they are competing. Pop is not dumb. It’s obvious Sochan is not the best option at PG. He could easily get a “George Hill” and easily is a better PG than Sochan and possibly get the Spurs some meaningless Wins. But what does it do towards developing Sochan as a ballhandler/facilitator? You know Pop, having followed the Spurs a long time. I agree with “winning by playing defense” on the emphasis of playing solid defense. But it would be taking out of context saying he cares about “Wins” as record-wise. No he’s not lying, but taking out of context, I guess.
    how are you interpreting an interview that you never watched?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a 6'8 wing player with ball handling skills tbh.... make it happen guys
    Sisocco? I’m sure Pop is salivating using him in the future as another big man who can pass.. and play hardnose defense too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how are you interpreting an interview that you never watched?
    Bruh just watching him coach all these 28 years?? You know he’s not about meaningless wins. I don’t have to watch every single interview to know. That’s why we’re Spurs fans vs bandwagon fans. You trust the organization is doing the right thing for the long haul. These guys are playing chess vs other GM’s playing checkers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as Castle I would agree he is not super athletic he is not going to beat you off the dribble that is just not his game. The thing I like is he has good control he can get to where he wants by keeping his dribble alive and he does can get you points and has good court vision. The only thing is he needs to work on his 3 ball but other then that he is good. Another reason I like his height is if Vassell gets hurt again in the future hopefully he could slide into that position and we won't stumble like we do when he is out for any games.

As Bruno mentioned earlier another guy who fits that would be Carlton Carrington another tall PG - but will see how the season goes. Just for fun I looked at the latest mock drafts and one has us taking Ja'Kobe Walter a SG from Baylor as our first pick - He is probably the best SG by far in this draft and he is legit I think he will have a good career the only bad thing is that he is a black whole on offense he hardly ever gives the ball up. The same mock has us using Raptors pick for SF Cody Williams and intriguing kid who I think has some potential

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as Castle I would agree he is not super athletic he is not going to beat you off the dribble that is just not his game. The thing I like is he has good control he can get to where he wants by keeping his dribble alive and he does can get you points and has good court vision. The only thing is he needs to work on his 3 ball but other then that he is good. Another reason I like his height is if Vassell gets hurt again in the future hopefully he could slide into that position and we won't stumble like we do when he is out for any games.

As Bruno mentioned earlier another guy who fits that would be Carlton Carrington another tall PG - but will see how the season goes. Just for fun I looked at the latest mock drafts and one has us taking Ja'Kobe Walter a SG from Baylor as our first pick - He is probably the best SG by far in this draft and he is legit I think he will have a good career the only bad thing is that he is a black whole on offense he hardly ever gives the ball up. The same mock has us using Raptors pick for SF Cody Williams and intriguing kid who I think has some potential
    That’s exactly what I took from the Castle profiles. He’s really smart, a plus ball handler, doesn’t get sped up, doesn’t pick up his dribble prematurely. He also plays well without the ball, so if you get his jumper tidied up, he has wing size, so can slide over to the 2/3. The podcast I watched said he was boring in the mold of Cason Wallace, but if you look at what Wallace is doing inOKC, I’ll take a supersize version of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh just watching him coach all these 28 years?? You know he’s not about meaningless wins. I don’t have to watch every single interview to know. That’s why we’re Spurs fans vs bandwagon fans. You trust the organization is doing the right thing for the long haul. These guys are playing chess vs other GM’s playing checkers.
    typical sniffer response. Playing Sochan at PG is chess all of a sudden

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young guys tend to lean into their athleticism, and not worry too much about fundamentals. That penalizes you every time you go up a level, or at the end of your career when your athleticism wanes.

Just look at Scoot. He’s ing horrible,and some of us saw it coming, because he wasn’t all that in the gleague. Almost no fundamentals, and maybe B+ NBA athleticism.

Oh, and Castle isn’t an elite athlete by NBA standards. He’s not going to break you ankle getting to the rim, but he’ll use good position,smarts, and ball handling to do so. We both like him,but you see him as elite athletically when he isn’t.

Here’s my grid

1. High BBIQ, high athleticism
    No brainer, but these guys are usually only available at picks 1-3

2. High BBIQ, mid athleticism
    Need these guys for your team

3. Low BBIQ, high athleticism
    These guys bust at a really high rate, but NBA GMs love to draft them.

4. Low BBIQ, low athleticism.
    No NBA career. Probably not drafted at all.
    Where does Sochan rank on this 4-box of Excellence?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John B, (I can't reply with quotes)

Ur theory is that Pop PURPOSELY handicaped his team just to help Sochan be a better ball handler/playmaker? Really?!??

Come on...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is delusional and hasn't been applicable in years tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of the sudden chronic underachieving Longhorn sop re Dillon Mitc is looking kind of interesting.

He's been mocked as a mid-second round pick up to now but he may start to ascend.

He's got all of the physical attributes (size, quickness) but seemed to lack any basketball skills.

That may be changing.

Might be a bargain late first round but, by draft time, he may be even higher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of the sudden chronic underachieving Longhorn sop re Dillon Mitc is looking kind of interesting.

He's been mocked as a mid-second round pick up to now but he may start to ascend.

He's got all of the physical attributes (size, quickness) but seemed to lack any basketball skills.

That may be changing.

Might be a bargain late first round but, by draft time, he may be even higher.
    I don’t see it. He hasn’t made a 3 in four games, and he’s shooting 60% on FTs. That’s a zero shooting signal for a league that values little else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see it. He hasn’t made a 3 in four games, and he’s shooting 60% on FTs. That’s a zero shooting signal for a league that values little else.
    If he can just keep his head above water on offense and play some elite hard-nosed defense as a PF, he might be able to help this D-challenged roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is 6’7 so probably a SF he is definitely a Deer kinda guy as far as being very athletic but until he can show improved shooting not sure we will have the time to develop him.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel bad for any kid that they draft tbh. Can't think of a worse "program" to be drafted into. Any PG they draft is going to be played at the 4. Absolutely criminal what the old man has done to Sochan this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re getting a top 5 pick this year. I dont see us winning more than 15-20 games. God we suck lmao but looking foward to the youtube mock drafts soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s exactly what I took from the Castle profiles. He’s really smart, a plus ball handler, doesn’t get sped up, doesn’t pick up his dribble prematurely. He also plays well without the ball, so if you get his jumper tidied up, he has wing size, so can slide over to the 2/3. The podcast I watched said he was boring in the mold of Cason Wallace, but if you look at what Wallace is doing inOKC, I’ll take a supersize version of that.

I was so pissed when Cason fell to OKC. also bummed that Castle is injured; it would have been nice to see him against some of the teams that UConn has played lately. what are your thoughts on Topić

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic? Giddey 2.0?

Smooth and aggressive, a nice combination. Also, good size for a guard. Could be a nice fit for the Spurs' needs.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes in the 1st round -- he's all over the map.

Thread Information