Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2882
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guns and prayers go out to the victims

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But that's exactly the point. Words matter when you have something to legislate. When you're dead set against legislating in the first place, the talk about knowledge or words is meaningless, just a distraction.
    That's a different issue. Words matter. I guess electing reps that can get done is important as well. You're saying the other team keeps your team from winning. "Yay us! We got assault weapons banned" Gun owner: "This isn't an assault weapon per your description so I picked up two. It will hold the same magazines and fire at the same rate as the 'assault weapon', only it doesn't have the bayonet lug. I cannot bayonet people". Words matter.
    Of course it is like that. A license plate scan is not going to tell the cop if your car insurance is up to date, for example, yet most people do have their insurance up to date because they don't want to lose the privilege of driving.
    Now you're talking about insurance but the discussion is about registration.
    Every weapon has a serial number specifically for tracking purposes. If part of the regulation that needs to happen is progressively add every weapon into the NFA registry, then that's what needs to happen. The NFA also already makes it a felony to buy or posses weapons with that number removed. That would indeed make every person who owns or wants to transport, buy or sell a gun to be liable if not registered. We don't need to go back and register older guns (though I don't see a problem with that, if, for example, you want to transport those weapons). It's something that will happen over time for people that legally own guns.
    400 million firearms, these aren't consumable items. They aren't going away. If you cannot add them to the database and attach them to an owner, you're dead in the water. Also, as I pointed out before, you'd have to do away with the FOPA which opens more cans than you can close (like subguns).
    As far as enforcement, nobody is saying you have to break or enter anywhere. You get pulled over and an unregistered gun is found in your vehicle, then it gets confiscated, and proceeds just like what happens with enforcing any illegal act. Same thing if it's found during a security check in the airport, or a frisk on an event, etc.
    How many people get pulled over with a firearm in their vehicle? The shooter didn't get pulled over. You're not going to make a dent in 400m firearms by searching vehicles after getting permission to do so (illegal search and seizure is still a thing). Even if you did a million a year, you'd need 400 years to get them all.
    Please enumerate which cons utional rights are violated here. I can think of zero so far.
    4th, unless you want to get a warrant. 2nd, unless you think tying a financial anchor to firearms in hopes that people won't buy them is simply a infringement, and not only that but it affects citizens disproportionately so possibly the equal protection clause under the 14th amendment. You can go for a majority to overturn those.
    Basically this is going to come down to our opinions.
    We need to get to a draft of a law for this to even become moderately relevant, until then this is all irrelevant chatter.
    If we were to take an example, the NFA doesn't appear to be confusing as you claim, so we have an example there where actual gun regulation is pretty clear on what it targets and means.
    I didn't say the NFA was confusing. Yes the NFA is pretty clear. I cannot buy a newly manufactured subgun but I can buy a pre-1986 transferrable one, pay a 200 dollar tax stamp and have even a belt fed, mounted machine gun, a 249 SAW, even a minigun. So what the NFA did was add the tax stamp. Much of subsequent revision was to protect the owner from criminal charges. It was FOPA that added the ban to manufacturing for sale to the public. It's not difficult to understand, but I'd bet even you had to go read it on the fly. That's fine and good, but the NFA has nothing to do with assault weapons (which aren't even real things, just a buzzword made up by opponents of the 2A). Assault rifles are covered under the NFA, but they are automatic weapons.
    Based on what? Again, we have and had in the past firearm regulation that is/was perfectly legal. If there's one thing about er is that the SCOTUS itself admitted the 2nd Amendment is not beyond regulation, as long as it's done in a way that doesn't outright deny citizens with the possession of firearms.
    All regulations are legal, but they might not be cons utional. Don't confuse DC vs er to mean that, because the 2nd isn't unlimited, the infringements can also be unlimited.
    Will anything that passes be challenged in court? I expect nothing less. That's not an excuse to do nothing.
    It's in bent upon the powers that be to not just "do something" but to do something effective and meaningful. They've always been doing something.
    "Want to be left alone" is not a solution to this problem. Sorry. We tried that, for decades, as you mention, and we're always back in the same place. That hasn't worked. It's never late to try something else.
    You attempted to define the right, I am telling you that's how many voters feel. You might be referring to officials but the right isn't just politicians. It is too late in Uvalde to try something else. When is it not too late? That "no deadline" mentality is why we won't change. We have 350m people, plenty human fodder to stave off any real pressure.
    This happens with every regulation. It's a cat and mouse game, and most of the time new regulations are needed and enacted to close those loopholes. Happened with Obamacare as well, and almost every regulation out there.
    Hasn't happened with gun regulation, which is what we are discussing.
    Again, this can't be used as an excuse to do nothing. It's very likely that if a regulation even comes to pass, it will be far from perfect, and will need updates. This is pretty common in every realm.
    If the goal is to say you did something, fine. I prefer a goal of protecting the asset, not chasing down the nebulous plasma of up and coming attackers via Minority Report scheme. Ideologue ideas of what we want others to pass vs what can be done locally. It would be nice if both could happen but likely neither happens, especially in poor schools along the border.
    I've yet to see a single draft or proposal that outright bans the possession of guns from common citizens (from "the left" or anywhere else). I personally wouldn't be onboard with that. IMO, this is another ridiculous boogeyman that doesn't exist, that's used as a crutch to do nothing. It's the whole slippery-slope thing.
    The rest, whether he livestreamed, or wrote a manifesto, or used to be a Bernie supporter, or had a pedicure before murdering people... distractions to talk about something else instead of the problem at hand.
    The elephant in the room no one wants to talk about, a distraction. It must be the guns. Certainly nothing the left supports fuels any of it. So much for being a multifaceted issue.
    Hey Blake, it's not a money problem, it's a policy and stupid dogma problem.

lol no it isn't. They live in a society that's supposed to protect them, because they don't have the mental capacity, much less the training to "fight back" against a dude shooting up with two AR-15s.
    With children specifically it's all about prevention, not reaction. And prevention doesn't mean 100% success rate, because that's utopic, but at least reducing the damage as much as possible.
    I am not going to haggle with you over the definition of war. The point you dodged by using the "but that's war" was the US dumping resources into Ukraine while ignoring the slayings in our own country. This is where you said money isn't the issue but it certainly is. Otherwise we could fortify schools quite easily. Instead, another from the left here asked "what's the budget?".

We're not preventing anything by reacting by calling for change from groups we know aren't listening. Prevention is done before this happens, not after. It's not like we thought Sandy Hook would never happen again.
    What I mentioned is the type of thing people in Ukraine, which is the actual warzone you brought up, have to deal with every day. But this highlights that it was a terrible example. Nobody in their right mind thinks Uvalde, TX is or was any kind of warzone.
    It's a poor area with dilapidated schools and services. If your excuse for ignoring that and instead focusing on another country's struggles, that's the real side step made by using "but it's a war" excuse. Why does another country's war take precedence over our own children? Both result in deaths of innocents.
    Would be good one day to see what a conservative bill for gun regulation looks like. I'm hoping Mitch wasn't bluffing when he said he wanted Conryn to talk to Dems to come up with something to address this.
    Don't hold your breath.
    But, until then, "the left" is all we have to try to meaningfully address this in a legal manner, as flawed as it might be.
    That's bull . The left hasn't proven a single time that they are capable of doing anything, and this discussion has solidified that fact between you and I.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, every NRA touting Republican is calling for beefing up school security instead of figuring out better laws.

Making up is your wheelhouse, not mine.
    You make up cute sayings and repeat them ad nauseum, trying to make a meme until you realize no one picked it up, at which point you casually stop using it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I have no words, I have no words to say, I don't know what he was thinking. He had his reasons for doing what he did and please don't judge him," Ramos' mother, Adriana Martnez said. "I only want the innocent children who died, to forgive me."
    They should put one right between her ing eyes too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look back at Christian Chris thumbs up and you might get it.
    ing bigot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YOU gave an example of security ON AN AIRPLANE. I did not ask you anything about this.
    Like there was no security BEFORE getting on THE AIRPLANE.
    Dont change your . YOU know about TSA yet said absolutely nothing about TSA.
    All to use as an example for security in schools and you just flat out got it very wrong.

You need to stop. Or keep going.

edit: So in your example the teacher also needs to have assistance at her classroom before the kids enter the room I guess.
    Because a classroom is just like an airplane: classrooms can just fall out of the sky or ram buildings killing all the kids aboard I guess.
    I asked you... grand dad dementia
    Good lord

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, and you lay out your plans for getting a meaningful gun control bill through congress.

1. Armed security at each school.
    2. Locked doors with entry clearance required.
    3. Doors must be reinforced and any glass must be bullet proof.
    4. Schools must be fenced and gated with clearance needed to enter the non school bus gates.
    5. Metal detectors and scanners for backpacks
    6. Routine checks by patrols even when schools have onsite armed security
    7. Classroom doors can only open from the inside sans key
    8. Blocking the door with an object causes the door alarm to sound, similar to airport restricted entry doors.
    9. Regular canine patrol to detect any explosive devices

All this can be done at the state level without need to have congress authorize it.
    Meanwhile there is already no money for schools and people are complaining about the massive school taxes.

So lets just raise the taxes x times more.

Sounds like the best solution of all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile there is already no money for schools and people are complaining about the massive school taxes.

It's not a money issue according to ElNono

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make up cute sayings and repeat them ad nauseum, trying to make a meme until you realize no one picked it up, at which point you casually stop using it.
    Lol monologuing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apparently they're frequently first responders in the 100 mile border zone. they have a checkpoint in Uvalde and employ ~150 people locally. I'd not be surprised if that's more than the Uvalde PD.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...valde-shooter/

The closest checkpoint is 40 miles West out in Bracketville.

But the agents probably live in either Uvalde or Del Rio, but there is no actual checkpoint in Uvalde.

Be better Texas Monthly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peter Arredondo, the school district police chief whose orders reportedly delayed response to the shooting at Robb Elementary School which killed 21, will join the Uvalde City Council, NBC reported.

Arredondo was elected to the Uvalde City Council three weeks ago, earning nearly 70% of the vote, according to the Uvalde Leader-News.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

It’s funny how right wing Christians know the Bible less than almost anybody else in this country. Probably by design tbh………. no, definitely by design

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sure there's money but it's all in Ukraine and other countries... It's called our laundering of our money and it's our politicians who are doing it. the USA right?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure there's money but it's all in Ukraine and other countries... It's called our laundering of our money and it's our politicians who are doing it. the USA right?
    Did your hero- Cucker Tarlson spoon feed you this propaganda?

Would you prefer we allow Russia to move on to Europe and continue taking countries - so you can cry LATER that we should have stopped them sooner?

ing moron.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is.
    I agree.
    Chris just flat out admitted he dislikes black people as well.
    Agreed they are stupid and lazy but he does not know why God made them this way.

This is another case of grumpa stepping into wrong field and thus the wrong cow dung.
    Does Grumpa realize some posters actually post to other posters concerning subjects you were never a part of and have no clue what is going on.
    Last edited by pgardn; 05-28-2022 at 11:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=DMC;10745947]Good lord [/QUO.TE]

What a fkn idiot.

I asked you... (as in trailing off in disbelief you dont have a clue which poster posted a request.)

Show me WHERE I ASKED YOU?
    grandad dementia
    Refer to the post number please.

But do keep going with your airport/airplane-school comparison.
    I like your pretzel logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peter Arredondo, the school district police chief whose orders reportedly delayed response to the shooting at Robb Elementary School which killed 21, will join the Uvalde City Council, NBC reported.

Arredondo was elected to the Uvalde City Council three weeks ago, earning nearly 70% of the vote, according to the Uvalde Leader-News.

So the FBI has figured out it is this guy who is responsible for stopping the police from going in.

Link.

Call me skeptical for not trusting the State of Red Texas and its ability to investigate anything.
    You a Ken Paxson guy snake? Have him investigate himself. See how that goes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s funny how right wing Christians know the Bible less than almost anybody else in this country. Probably by design tbh………. no, definitely by design
    Guns and prayers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wayne might tell you something like he speaks to god.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a fkn idiot.

I asked you... (as in trailing off in disbelief you dont have a clue which poster posted a request.)

Show me WHERE I ASKED YOU?
    grandad dementia
    Refer to the post number please.

But do keep going with your airport/airplane-school comparison.
    I like your pretzel logic.
    So how do you get to the plane in the first place?
    Any one checking anything? Like upon entering the airport any type of security?
    TSA schools would do I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

punch line, in a city of 16,000 he got 126 votes out of 182 total to win.

https://www.uvaldeleadernews.com/art...-city-council/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a different issue. Words matter. I guess electing reps that can get done is important as well. You're saying the other team keeps your team from winning. "Yay us! We got assault weapons banned" Gun owner: "This isn't an assault weapon per your description so I picked up two. It will hold the same magazines and fire at the same rate as the 'assault weapon', only it doesn't have the bayonet lug. I cannot bayonet people". Words matter.
    I said words matter when you have something to legislate. What goes into an actual law matters.

Here, we throw some ideas around, and nobody is expecting that to go into a law. When somebody says restrict to 10 bullets, does it really matters if it's a clip or a magazine? Are you really confused about what's being proposed?

Now you're talking about insurance but the discussion is about registration.

400 million firearms, these aren't consumable items. They aren't going away. If you cannot add them to the database and attach them to an owner, you're dead in the water. Also, as I pointed out before, you'd have to do away with the FOPA which opens more cans than you can close (like subguns).

How many people get pulled over with a firearm in their vehicle? The shooter didn't get pulled over. You're not going to make a dent in 400m firearms by searching vehicles after getting permission to do so (illegal search and seizure is still a thing). Even if you did a million a year, you'd need 400 years to get them all.
    No it isn't. We're talking about enforcement of regulations. I brought up cars because they're also personal property, they're regulated and there's effective enforcement. Even license plate readers and computers on police cars are a relative novelty considering the lifetime of vehicles, yet people historically had no problem abiding by regulations.

The notion that we just shouldn't regulate because there's soooooo many weapons and it would be soooo inefficient or ineffective, flies in the face of that example.

I don't think old weapons matter because in the worst case it's exactly what we have now, nothing. They're not consumables, but they are fungible. Gun sales haven't stopped nor are struggling. People do buy new guns, transact their old ones, sell them or pass them on. So maybe we won't make a dent on the old guns, but if we can make a dent going forward, let's do it.

This shooter might've not been stopped by this, but there were other proposals, like not being able to purchase until you're 21, or even if he could purchase legally and pass a mental health examination, he shouldn't be able to have as many bullets, etc. Again, this isn't about a silver bullet (pun intended), it's about a comprehensive package that addresses a number of problems.

4th, unless you want to get a warrant. 2nd, unless you think tying a financial anchor to firearms in hopes that people won't buy them is simply a infringement, and not only that but it affects citizens disproportionately so possibly the equal protection clause under the 14th amendment. You can go for a majority to overturn those.
    Basically this is going to come down to our opinions.
    Out of the examples I cited, none require a warrant. Car stops only require probable cause, airport searches are exempted from 4th protection, if you submit yourself to a frisk, you're waiving your right. Zero cases of infringement on the 4th there.

The 2nd amendment is more complicated because it largely depends on what the law looks like. My understanding is that unless the court deems a regulation as precluding your average citizen from owning a weapon (be it due to undue burden, equal protection, etc), then it's legal and enforceable.

But obviously this will go all the way up to the SCOTUS and we'll find out.

I didn't say the NFA was confusing. Yes the NFA is pretty clear. I cannot buy a newly manufactured subgun but I can buy a pre-1986 transferrable one, pay a 200 dollar tax stamp and have even a belt fed, mounted machine gun, a 249 SAW, even a minigun. So what the NFA did was add the tax stamp. Much of subsequent revision was to protect the owner from criminal charges. It was FOPA that added the ban to manufacturing for sale to the public. It's not difficult to understand, but I'd bet even you had to go read it on the fly. That's fine and good, but the NFA has nothing to do with assault weapons (which aren't even real things, just a buzzword made up by opponents of the 2A). Assault rifles are covered under the NFA, but they are automatic weapons.
    I was merely responding to your argument that any law needs to be clear and concise. I cited the NFA as an example of such a law. Looks like the cats in DC got that one right. Glad we agree, you can probably stop worrying about that bit.
    The NFA has been revisited a number of times, and would likely need to be revisited here as well. Nothing wrong with that, happens all the time.

All regulations are legal, but they might not be cons utional. Don't confuse DC vs er to mean that, because the 2nd isn't unlimited, the infringements can also be unlimited.
    If I'm citing er vs DC, a case where a regulation was deemed uncons utional, then it's pretty clear I'm aware of that. I'm not confused about what was said in er, I'm merely pointing out what the court said in that case, which I think it's relevant when we're discussing the boundaries of regulating the 2nd Amendment (which we clearly can do, as seen in other big hits like gun-free zones, FOPA, NFA, etc).

It's in bent upon the powers that be to not just "do something" but to do something effective and meaningful. They've always been doing something.
    That sounds great, but when half of the power-that-be doesn't want to do anything, then nothing gets done. When it comes to this, nothing got done.

The last time we had anything meaningful, it was enacted as an ATF rule without intervention from Congress, and we still don't know if it's going to stick at all. That's not how you get anything done, much less anything effective or meaningful.

If you're just going to take the ball and go home, there's no game to be played, period.

You attempted to define the right, I am telling you that's how many voters feel. You might be referring to officials but the right isn't just politicians. It is too late in Uvalde to try something else. When is it not too late? That "no deadline" mentality is why we won't change. We have 350m people, plenty human fodder to stave off any real pressure.
    I didn't try to define the right. I'm simply stating that "Want to be left alone" hasn't worked. "Want to be left alone" is actually a deep, deep philosophical divide between conservatives and liberals, that goes beyond weapons (and probably beyond this conversation). It almost always fails outside of a rural setting. Once you're connected and what you do affects a large number of people, the "Want to be left alone" almost always invariably fails. IMO, this is a losing race for conservatives, as urbanization continues apace, demographics shift and we continue to move into a more connected world.

Hasn't happened with gun regulation, which is what we are discussing.
    Of course it has, you've just said so above with the NFA. Nobody should expect the first version of any of these things to be perfect the first time around. They can always be revised.

If the goal is to say you did something, fine. I prefer a goal of protecting the asset, not chasing down the nebulous plasma of up and coming attackers via Minority Report scheme. Ideologue ideas of what we want others to pass vs what can be done locally. It would be nice if both could happen but likely neither happens, especially in poor schools along the border.
    The goal is to start somewhere. If you can't even get started and have a conversation, then there's nothing to talk about. It like a ing dogma.

The elephant in the room no one wants to talk about, a distraction. It must be the guns. Certainly nothing the left supports fuels any of it. So much for being a multifaceted issue.
    But the proposals here weren't just about guns. We talked about mental health as well, but when it comes to "mental health that might preclude you from owning a gun", then it's back to square zero. That's not "the left" doing that, BTW.

I am not going to haggle with you over the definition of war. The point you dodged by using the "but that's war" was the US dumping resources into Ukraine while ignoring the slayings in our own country. This is where you said money isn't the issue but it certainly is. Otherwise we could fortify schools quite easily. Instead, another from the left here asked "what's the budget?".
    I just didn't think I needed to explain how our country works. Congress has easily the most amount of power, then the Executive and Judicial share some.
    Congress was in agreement that helping Ukraine was in the best interest of the US, so they passed a law approving all that help. One half of Congress doesn't think gun regulation can help, the other half does. Law doesn't pass, no help is coming.

Money isn't an issue once Congress agrees on something. And unfortunately when it comes to this they do not. But should they come to an agreement, whatever that might look like, money is not going to be the obstacle here.

We're not preventing anything by reacting by calling for change from groups we know aren't listening. Prevention is done before this happens, not after. It's not like we thought Sandy Hook would never happen again.
    But nobody is looking at 100% effectiveness in prevention. The fact that we are aware that this will happen again, makes it even more logical that you would at least try to reduce the damage from these incidents.

Even a 20% prevention rate and reduced damage in the other 80% would absolutely be meaningful.

It's a poor area with dilapidated schools and services. If your excuse for ignoring that and instead focusing on another country's struggles, that's the real side step made by using "but it's a war" excuse. Why does another country's war take precedence over our own children? Both result in deaths of innocents.
    It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Ukraine is a war zone, Uvalde, TX is not. The security expectations in both places are, objectively, diametrically different.

Don't hold your breath.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. None of this matters as long as conservatives don't want to play ball. And it's only going to hurt them in the long run. We've seen this with Obamacare as well.

Once the Democrats had enough votes, they passed it, and then conservatives ed and moaned about it, but they're so devoid of ideas and the law proved to be popular enough, that once they had a majority to do something about it, they couldn't repeal it. They couldn't even agree how to reform it.

And instead of being part of the process, get some things they wanted in there, and get some of the credit for meaningful change, they completely fumbled it.

That's bull . The left hasn't proven a single time that they are capable of doing anything, and this discussion has solidified that fact between you and I.
    Not bull at all. Show me the last bill about mental health or any sort of gun regulation conservatives put on the floor. You just admitted as much above.

If Dems had the votes a lot of these things would be in place now, and conserva s would be like "repeal, repeal, repeal"... we've seen this movie before.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Such a weird flex, your cheering the murder of schoolchildren.

Why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a weird flex, your cheering the murder of schoolchildren.

Why?
    I read it as SnakeBoy trying to make out that Arredondo has a wide base of support in the community when in fact, he just won in a low turnout race.

Maybe SnakeBoy can clarify his own angle on this.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

He is colored.
    He is not white.

Thread Information