Page 65 of 94 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2346
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yeah, Sochan looked a lot better on offense (except those ugly last few minutes) and showed point guard prowess last night

and he was a terror on defense

it’s just like last season… people forget he improved basically every game. His growth was exponential.

this is another “heS nOt a Pg” situation that people did with Dejounte
    He's still rusty, you can see it on his jump shot. 20 games into the season he'll be a different animal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s something to be said for force feeding a bigger player with the position. Anybody remember JKidd putting the ball into Giannis’ hands? He wouldn’t even let the media call him a point forward, correcting them every time: point GUARD. That kind of paid off.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy is still rounding into shape; once he gets right we will see him abusing smaller players on the reg ( must tighten up that handle/ not worried about the three point shot as much as the midrange ) ! Our defense will be suffocating sooner than later too.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is awesome. So easy to like him.

Doesn't really blow by people but he just keeps a steady dribble and just finds a way to keep backing people in. And I think once he gets more on a roll he'll just score more and more doing something so simple as that. I think in a few years once he gets some more polished scoring moves down, he's going to be a terror, in a quiet way.

Drinking the Kool aid even more, Pop and the front office might not want to trade a bunch of young players and picks to get some veteran, they might just be totally happy developing these great young players they have, and trading their draft picks to a team to get their draft picks later when they're not as good, in other words, just sort of punting down the field to get more awesome draft picks later once they're already winning. We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby is gonna play PF in the NBA, so you'll have to associate him with a strong big like Collins, Plumlee, Lopez... I mean, that's litterally what spurs are doing now, Wemby will never be left alone as the only big banging with the Embiids of the world.
    Wembanyama should become a great PF and a great C in a few years. He has the physical tools and the skill set to play both position. Where he will end up playing depends mostly on what kind of basketball Spurs want to play.

To me, and I may be wrong on that, I find Wembanyama at C the best option in 2/3 years.
    Last edited by Bruno; 10-21-2023 at 03:13 PM.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby will be a matchup nightmare at any frontcourt position. You could make the case that right now he's playing as much 3 as 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really like what i've seen with wemby being a perimeter pest/menace. and not just as a help defender, we've seen people struggle when he mans up. look at a lot of wiggins' possessions yesterday. couldnt really shake him. wemby will have to figure out over time exactly how much he can back off players while being able to make a good contest. that will come with experience. wasnt something he really had to deal with in france... and offensively he clearly thrives facing up and it really helps having Collins out there being able to score in the paint if the defense spreads out too much.

obviously things will change as wemby gets older and grows into his body a bit more, but i dont think its a foregone conclusion that PF/SF wont be his best spot going forward as well. now yeah, when he ages and loses some footspeed, you probably dont want him out there defending the perimeter as often

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wembanyama should become a great PF and a great C in a few years. He has the physical tools and the skill set to play both position. Where he will end up playing depends mostly on what kind of basketball Spurs want to play.

To me, and I may be wrong on that, I find Wembanyama at C the best option in 2/3 years.
    You’re selling him short.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really like what i've seen with wemby being a perimeter pest/menace. and not just as a help defender, we've seen people struggle when he mans up. look at a lot of wiggins' possessions yesterday. couldnt really shake him. wemby will have to figure out over time exactly how much he can back off players while being able to make a good contest. that will come with experience. wasnt something he really had to deal with in france... and offensively he clearly thrives facing up and it really helps having Collins out there being able to score in the paint if the defense spreads out too much.

obviously things will change as wemby gets older and grows into his body a bit more, but i dont think its a foregone conclusion that PF/SF wont be his best spot going forward as well. now yeah, when he ages and loses some footspeed, you probably dont want him out there defending the perimeter as often
    The way he awkwardly landed on at least two of his jump shots last night and the burden on his knees as he defends perimeter players like Wiggins will take its toll eventually. That kind of thing isnt sustainable, and to see him exhausted like he was after going 100% in the first quarter isn’t a fluke or a lack of NBA conditioning… it simply isn’t what you want ANY player to do no matter how GOAT level his skills are. Some of you want to kill Wemby, tbh. These NBA legends won championships when they stopped trying to do it all. Making Wemby as a do it all on both offense and defense isn’t going to take him far into the playoffs because exhaustion or injury will claim him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is awesome. So easy to like him.

Doesn't really blow by people but he just keeps a steady dribble and just finds a way to keep backing people in. And I think once he gets more on a roll he'll just score more and more doing something so simple as that. I think in a few years once he gets some more polished scoring moves down, he's going to be a terror, in a quiet way.

Drinking the Kool aid even more, Pop and the front office might not want to trade a bunch of young players and picks to get some veteran, they might just be totally happy developing these great young players they have, and trading their draft picks to a team to get their draft picks later when they're not as good, in other words, just sort of punting down the field to get more awesome draft picks later once they're already winning. We'll see.
    He's effective despite being very obviously green. after seeing him keep the TO to a min last night, I really felt encouraged.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way he awkwardly landed on at least two of his jump shots last night and the burden on his knees as he defends perimeter players like Wiggins will take its toll eventually. That kind of thing isnt sustainable, and to see him exhausted like he was after going 100% in the first quarter isn’t a fluke or a lack of NBA conditioning… it simply isn’t what you want ANY player to do no matter how GOAT level his skills are. Some of you want to kill Wemby, tbh. These NBA legends won championships when they stopped trying to do it all. Making Wemby as a do it all on both offense and defense isn’t going to take him far into the playoffs because exhaustion or injury will claim him.
    id rather have him play like that for 30 minutes than have him play less effectively for 36

doesnt mean we want him sprinting up and down the court and then making super aggressive leaping closeouts every single possession. but its clearly a type of play that he is comfortable with and thrives in. then again, not every game will be against a warriors team where a guy as fast as wiggins is at the 4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id rather have him play like that for 30 minutes than have him play less effectively for 36

doesnt mean we want him sprinting up and down the court and then making super aggressive leaping closeouts every single possession. but its clearly a type of play that he is comfortable with and thrives in. then again, not every game will be against a warriors team where a guy as fast as wiggins is at the 4

Fair to have a different opinion. I’d rather have him play less effective if it means extending his career by lessening the risk for injury and any wear and tear. Yeah, it might mean less individual accolades but who cares.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 10-21-2023 at 08:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair to have a different opinion. I’d rather have him play less effective if it means extending his career by lessening the risk for injury and any wear and tear. Yeah, it might mean less individual accolades but who cares.
    its not the accolades. that version of wemby would have just an absurd impact on the game like we saw against GSW

he can always have some possessions off on offense, letting other guys like vassell, keldon, collins go to work while he just spots up. obviously flying up and down the court against the warriors and then taking jumpers off the dribble is going to be exhausting and not sustainable all game. but give me that wemby on defense who can be a decoy on offense when he needs a breather

defensively, playing him as a wing just lets him impact so much of the court area that its legitimately a game changer. there isnt really an NBA parallel, and closest thing i could think of is some amalgam of giannis and young anthony davis. in an nba era where defense is really hard to come by, somebody with that kind of impact on defense is the ultimate trump card. more so than being a gifted offensive scorer in a league where offense is somewhat easy to come by

Believe.
    Post Count
    Wemby is gonna play PF in the NBA, so you'll have to associate him with a strong big like Collins, Plumlee, Lopez... I mean, that's litterally what spurs are doing now, Wemby will never be left alone as the only big banging with the Embiids of the world. And I'm not even sure besides Devin anybody is guaranteed to be here in 2-3 years, if you make a big trade for a second star, you'll have to give.
    You think he’s going to stay a nineteen year old teenager for ever?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I noticed his landing too. In general I think he's jumping too much, often time without a reason. I know we're all excited about how good he looks, but it should be clear to everyone that Wemby didn't have much idea about what he was doing. On offense, he was running around trying to "get open" without caring at all if that actually fit with what other players were doing. In general, he's hopping around way more than a guy who can see over everyone and reach things way beyond anyone else would ever need to. I think the length of his legs means there's often a huge time difference in how long it takes him to land depending on whether he lifts his knees or not. That's going to make it harder to learn to consistently land properly. He basically jumped at everything on defense. He was out of position multiple times. He's just so ... Wemby, that he can be in multiple "positions" at once. He had yet more moments of leaking out before his team had secured the rebound and running himself out of plays as a result.

As he matures, he's going to get rid of this wasted movement. If the coaches don't get him to do that, then what will is players who have had time to scout Wemby how to take advantage of jump and fling his arms around. He's very likely to have games where he's saddled with foul trouble really quickly. He's going to realize that he can have nearly the same impact on shots just by existing and save his bursts for low-risk opportunities to deflect high-percentage shots. That combined with figuring out his place in the offense is going to lead to him playing a more physically sustainable style. Wemby's nowhere near as good as he's going to be. It's easy to see some of the highlights and think he's basically a star already. That may be true, but Prime Wemby will be a very different player than the one we see today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Old Duncan on one leg was still an awesome rim protector because he got smarter over the years and got better at timing, positional understanding, etc

wemby will have a similar evolution as long as he wants to

in the meantime he has a wemby sized margin of error

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting rid of wasted movement will happen and that is when he’ll become a 35+ mpg force.
    Until then we might be frustrated to find him playing lower minutes than you’d like to preserve his health and his energy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I noticed his landing too. In general I think he's jumping too much, often time without a reason. I know we're all excited about how good he looks, but it should be clear to everyone that Wemby didn't have much idea about what he was doing. On offense, he was running around trying to "get open" without caring at all if that actually fit with what other players were doing. In general, he's hopping around way more than a guy who can see over everyone and reach things way beyond anyone else would ever need to. I think the length of his legs means there's often a huge time difference in how long it takes him to land depending on whether he lifts his knees or not. That's going to make it harder to learn to consistently land properly. He basically jumped at everything on defense. He was out of position multiple times. He's just so ... Wemby, that he can be in multiple "positions" at once. He had yet more moments of leaking out before his team had secured the rebound and running himself out of plays as a result.

As he matures, he's going to get rid of this wasted movement. If the coaches don't get him to do that, then what will is players who have had time to scout Wemby how to take advantage of jump and fling his arms around. He's very likely to have games where he's saddled with foul trouble really quickly. He's going to realize that he can have nearly the same impact on shots just by existing and save his bursts for low-risk opportunities to deflect high-percentage shots. That combined with figuring out his place in the offense is going to lead to him playing a more physically sustainable style. Wemby's nowhere near as good as he's going to be. It's easy to see some of the highlights and think he's basically a star already. That may be true, but Prime Wemby will be a very different player than the one we see today.
    True on so many levels.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan could play point guard for this team long term, Wemby would not even play center enough to maximize the value of a star point guard. We are already built like early BOS and MIL. Defensive versatility at that guard position is more valuable for how this roster is constructed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan could play point guard for this team long term, Wemby would not even play center enough to maximize the value of a star point guard. We are already built like early BOS and MIL. Defensive versatility at that guard position is more valuable for how this roster is constructed.
    I agree big homie!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

people should watch this. Look who played PG there and scored 30

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham was the PG. I'm not saying that as a way to twist out of this. The team literally started Branham instead of Jones and said Malaki was the PG. In fact, some outlets still think Branham is a point-guard.

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/sa...tor-wembanyama

There's a lot to like with the young prospects on the San Antonio Spurs roster, but with so many, it can be easy to get lost in the fray.

But for point guard Malaki Branham, he shouldn't be someone that's overlooked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

people should watch this. Look who played PG there and scored 30
    Looks like from about 2 minutes onward in that higlight vid did he run point. Mostly in the 4th q

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is true. There are definitely stretches there where he ran point. I was mistaken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham was the PG. I'm not saying that as a way to twist out of this. The team literally started Branham instead of Jones and said Malaki was the PG. In fact, some outlets still think Branham is a point-guard.

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/sa...tor-wembanyama
    it’s basically equal to the playstyle we run now, with PG by committee. He ran point plenty of times, so he should still be able to get his numbers that way

Thread Information