My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just under 5’11

always been skinny

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem with NHL is the season runs concurrent with the NBA. Don't think San Antonio fans will spend the money.
    they would.

lots of hockey fans in SA. the Rampage drew very well, one of the best in minor league hockey, and that was for a team that was half ass run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a bit of a headscratcher when SS&E sold the Rampage outside of the near-perfect COVID timing. I guess they were missing out of too many potential AT&T events with the dates already blacked out.
    minor league sports isn't a big money maker, hockey being the least, but it still, me as a long time season ticket holder and Blues fan, who they were an affiliate with, pissed me the off when they sold the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be cool, and only fair for SA to get a pro baseball team. And football team for that matter, but Jerry Jobes has evidently had a lickdown on additional NFL teams coming to Texas for decades. Can't wait for that little demon to exit stage down
    I can see it now 😎 The San Antonio Vaqueros 😂

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aware but SA is by far the largest city without a professional baseball and football team. If they can demonstrate a pre-existing plan for an NFL or MLB ready stadium plan in a really cool downtown location, you'd almost think it would just be a matter of time before one was awarded.
    Size isn't what matters as much as money and San Antonio is ranked in the 30s in both GDP and TV Market size. I think a football team could work if the stadium was built in between San Antonio and Austin.
    Last edited by SayTown; 07-17-2023 at 02:55 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be a thought to remove the Alamodome and build something more conscious of Basketball AND Football. This way they keep the a Bowl Game and UIL contract(s) , UTSA games (which really should be closer to campus), and a modern venue for concerts.

OR they just move the team to Austin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be a thought to remove the Alamodome and build something more conscious of Basketball AND Football. This way they keep the a Bowl Game and UIL contract(s) , UTSA games (which really should be closer to campus), and a modern venue for concerts.
    OR they just move the team to Austin

As long as tim duncan gets his statue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just checked Google maps. That’s almost as far from downtown as the ATT.
    I am half joking because I don't think they (the powers that be) would ever give up the golf course. Now, as the crow flies, it may be the same distance from downtown but there is a lot more entertainment around it then the AT&T center area of town. Proximity to the Pearl and Broadway have lots of pre and post game places to go.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to even consider getting rid of the Alamodome until it's not getting Final Fours anymore. Just stick a Spurs arena next to it like the Superdome.

And UTSA probably has the land for West Campus football stadium, but there's no way in I'm going to watch a September game burning my ass on aluminum bleachers. They desperately need to build an arena first for basketball and volleyball. Hang onto the dome for as long as is practical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to even consider getting rid of the Alamodome until it's not getting Final Fours anymore. Just stick a Spurs arena next to it like the Superdome.

And UTSA probably has the land for West Campus football stadium, but there's no way in I'm going to watch a September game burning my ass on aluminum bleachers. They desperately need to build an arena first for basketball and volleyball. Hang onto the dome for as long as is practical.
    Damn dumpster! I agree with you for a change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Used to be nothing better than watching Artis school some other visiting center resulting in victory then hitting the Riverwalk (or just that bar at the bottom of the older Marriott) when the Spurs played at Hemisfair. The Spurs should be downtown as close to the Riverwalk as possible. I suggest the area near Nueva and Navarro streets, not much there except a few old buildings and parking lots to buy out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While being close to the Riverwalk might be great for fans, it might be the opposite of what Spurs are looking for.

A fan going to a Riverwalk bar/restaurant after a game will generate no money for Spurs. If Spurs build a new arena, I expect it to be surrounded by bars/restaurants linked to them that will generate additional revenues. Most/all sports' franchises around the world follow that model when building a new arena/stadium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While being close to the Riverwalk might be great for fans, it might be the opposite of what Spurs are looking for.

A fan going to a Riverwalk bar/restaurant after a game will generate no money for Spurs. If Spurs build a new arena, I expect it to be surrounded by bars/restaurants linked to them that will generate additional revenues. Most/all sports' franchises around the world follow that model when building a new arena/stadium.

Wrong.........Riverwalk money directly affects the Spurs. Restaurants, bars and hotels will gain revenue which in turn......... Investors will have more cashflow to throw at the Spurs. Season tickets, luxury boxes, etc. Its a win win being close to downtown.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think that's less of a concern if SS&E continues to get money from all the operations of the arena as they currently do with the AT&T Center, around which there is still basically nothing. If they really want to try to control everything around a new arena, it starts to limit the potential downtown sites to Fox Tech (probably kicking the Missions out of the picture) or Lone Star. Lone Star would likely have to be a super ambitious multiuse plan starting from scratch like the Domain or East Village in Austin. It would not be impossible but would be a real shift in perspective attempting to create a destination instead of dropping into or next to an existing destination.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 07-18-2023 at 01:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wherever the Spurs play next, it will be awash in promises and exist in compromise and disappointment. Politicians will get rich off it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"The Spurs’ search for a downtown location for a new arena took a step forward Thursday when the University of Texas Board of Regents conditionally approved a plan to lease or sell the Ins ute of Texan Cultures property to the city of San Antonio."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be an awesome location

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to happen. I'm not sure if there's any pushback from the conservation society, but it seems like everything is lining up from what I understand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many field trips during my elementary and middle school years to that museum (and also a random Gypsy King concert once). Hopefully they find a new home for it if even just for nostalgia’s sake.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ITC was too big and disorganized as an ins ution. They kept misallocating funds. But due to their dysfunction over the decades, maybe the Spurs can get back downtown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice. Hopefully we get that new arena in the next 5 years. Would be nice to host an AS game in San Antonio again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great location. Fond memories of sliding down the hill on a cardbox box during the TX Folklife Festival as a kid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wherever the Spurs play next, it will be awash in promises and exist in compromise and disappointment. Politicians will get rich off it.

Thread Information