Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Post Count
    Why would you brag about that? Are you one of those people that thinks not understanding something is a dunk on someone else?

I did both first rounders and in a separate list talked about every player drafted during the Duncan/Robinson era. But whether we're talking about 40 percent of 25 percent, there was never an avoidance of bigs.

You're applying a new designation to an older philosophy. Small-forwards and shooting-guards didn't used to be interchangeable, so the concept of drafting "wings", would've made less sense in the earlier parts of the Duncan's career. Regardless, you're mixing up your lists. They drafted three SG/SFs with first-rounders compared to three centers and four point-guards. They weren't drafting with Tony or especially Manu in mind during the Twin Towers era. They were too new and not established, hence why the Spurs immediately tried to sign Jason Kidd in 2003. The "forwards" who were drafted actually played PF in Europe. They weren't draft-and-stashes in the way Scola or Hanga was. They were as far as I can remember Americans who went over ala Thomas and Denmon. They weren't avoiding those positions then and definitely didn't avoid those positions in the Big Three era. Manu was usually a bench player during that time, so they obviously had a starting position open. They filled that position with guys like Barry and struggled for years to figure it out until Danny Green took the spot in 2011.

Football has a much larger number of incoming players to compensate. Moreover, you seem to be stuck on this idea that backups exist to replace starters, but that's not how it works in the NBA. Backups will play even if the starter is in perfect health. It's like how Danny Green and Manu Ginobili were both valuable and eventually well paid despite both being shooting-guards. You don't typically see starting QBs and their backups both being paid mid-sized and above contracts, because only one is supposed to play. That's sort of why I've never been comparing football to basketball and didn't suggest I was. They're different sports and relate to BPA differently. Football is more restrictive in some ways and less in other ways.

Baseball doesn't have a cap, actually. It just has a luxury tax.

Have you ever actually looked into the rate of movement for the NBA beyond what you "reckon to be the case"? Ignoring that the new CBA is specifically designed to make keeping teams together harder, I doubt you'll see many 10-man rotations that have stayed together multiple years. The Spurs keeping Parker, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Splitter, Mills, Ginobili and Diaw together from 2011 to 2015 is amazing, and even that's just eight guys with backup PFs and SFs changing. Two years before that window, only the Big Three were on the roster, and two years after Duncan, Splitter and Diaw were all gone. That was with the three stars constantly giving up money to keep things together. Thinking NBA continuity is easy is just wrong, regardless of if it's harder in other sports. There's almost always room for players to break through rotations.

As mentioned before, there's a 20-24 MPG role for a backup center of sufficient quality. That's worth a first-round pick, even ignoring that the Spurs need good trade pieces anyway and shouldn't pass up on talent that can become those pieces.
    TLDR.

It's not a brag. It's a taunt. I have explained why I do not believe it is worth reading your posts. I will demonstrate:

You could have written:

NBA players move around a lot according to metrics. It was a surprise the Spurs could keep together the team for the last championship stretch. However, even then shortly after 2014 Splitter and Boris were gone

Instead we get:

Have you ever actually looked into the rate of movement for the NBA beyond what you "reckon to be the case"? Ignoring that the new CBA is specifically designed to make keeping teams together harder, I doubt you'll see many 10-man rotations that have stayed together multiple years. The Spurs keeping Parker, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Splitter, Mills, Ginobili and Diaw together from 2011 to 2015 is amazing, and even that's just eight guys with backup PFs and SFs changing. Two years before that window, only the Big Three were on the roster, and two years after Duncan, Splitter and Diaw were all gone. That was with the three stars constantly giving up money to keep things together. Thinking NBA continuity is easy is just wrong, regardless of if it's harder in other sports. There's almost always room for players to break through rotations.
    You are a terrible writer and the best you will get is a skim.

Now of course, it is a strawman. I said it had a lower injury rate than the other leagues. You respond with tangential nonsense.

You are arguing a standard where the Spurs need to keep the entire roster. My argument is it is easier to keep together than most leagues.

I think your best part was to end with your preference to draft for backups in the NBA lottery. Shows your lack of wisdom well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to talk myself into Cody cause I’m getting the feeling he might be the pick at 8 if he’s on the board tbh.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to talk myself into Cody cause I’m getting the feeling he might be the pick at 8 if he’s on the board tbh.
    Yeah wouldn't mind taking a swing at 8 on Williams or maybe Holland. Carter's really low release point on his three scares me; unsure if I'd want him at 8.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 3 Days Ago at 12:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Between Cody, Holland and Salaun I'm not sure who I like best. Holland and Salaun both bring an intensity and (irrational) confidence, that I just don't think Cody possesses. I like his feel, but the upside swing with the first two just seems bigger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never liked Williams much when I watched him. He knew where to be and had good length and smoothness. I'm not worried about his strength; that will get better. What bothered me was how little he impacted games, that he was slow. He has good handles but is glacial to get to his spots. Reluctant and very slow getting his shot off. Very poor rebounder (strength is one thing, effort is another).

One of his marks was his incredible finishing around the rim, which is true. Very high. But they often seemed preposterous, he was constantly getting these crazy shots to go down. Problem was, these were crazy shots. He was constantly contorting himself to get them off - because he's slow, because he's weak - and those are going to get way, way harder in the NBA. If he keeps making such a crazy percentage, great. I don't think it'll happen.

Once he came back from injury, he was nearly unplayable. Colorado was better without him, and his minutes started going down. Maybe he was on a minutes restriction, but even so, he wasn't a first round draft pick at that point.

If it came to a choice at #8, I don't take him. I'm going Dillingham 100%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am still personally very high on Cody Williams (comparatively in this draft - not like generationally lol). I think many here would be mad if Spurs got him but hes one of my favorites at pick 8 if Spurs stay put.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am still personally very high on Cody Williams (comparatively in this draft - not like generationally lol). I think many here would be mad if Spurs got him but hes one of my favorites at pick 8 if Spurs stay put.
    I’m good with him at 8, if Reed or Castle are the pick at 4. I’ve tried, but I just can’t get there with Saluan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him as a player and would find it kind of funny, having him go up against his brother in the Chet/Wemby feud (with possibly Salaun joining OKC to add another level).

But listening to the OKC interview made me pause, when he mentioned the Lakers and how he grew up a fan of them. He probably will never become a star, but if so, it gave me "he will not stay" vibes. Because of that, I'd prefer Buzz, Knecht or Salaun and maybe even Da Silva.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him much like his fellow alumn he is low maintenance guy that fit in any locker room. He also came out as a 50/40 guy with defensive upside. He is the most Dwhite guy in this draft down to the confidence issues. Both don't have an inbetween game as well, a set shot from 3 and good touch at the basket.

Thread Information