Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bit wild how undervalued Dillingham's shooting is. I guess Sheppard takes all the oxygen out of the room - and for good reason, his shooting was incredible. Dillingham's is way up there. Here are the three point shooting percentages of the best shooters in 2023 and 2024:

Jared McCain .414
    Gradey .403
    Jordan Hawkins .388
    Brandon Miller .384

Rob Dillingham .444

All of these are at high volume, around 6-8 threes per 36 minutes.

I understand the Spurs won't take him, but don't understand how another team wouldn't. Looking at you, Detroit. If De'Aaron Fox is perfectly fine at the same size and weight, Dillingham will be fine. Just get that player who can fill up the bucket and provide playmaking.

But, yes, somehow just how good RD is at shooting is ignored. And not just in one category. There's not a category of shooting - step-backs, catch-and-shoot, spot ups, off-the-dribble - where he wasn't elite shooting from deep. On spot-ups, when someone drove and kicked out to him, he hit an absurd 54.5%.

https://x.com/redcooteay/status/1789...352825132?s=46
    Didnt appreciate Jared McCain's percentages. He's starting to get more buzz and wonder if he climbs into the Top 10. Seems like Dillingham has been most hurt by his inability to allay team concerns about his poor measurements bc he got hurt (really the thing weighing him down).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jared McCain and Reed Sheppard are the same height as him and a bit heavier. That extra weight is not going to do anything in the NBA. It might win you a possession here or there but probably not. They're all small.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didnt appreciate Jared McCain's percentages. He's starting to get more buzz and wonder if he climbs into the Top 10. Seems like Dillingham has been most hurt by his inability to allay team concerns about his poor measurements bc he got hurt (really the thing weighing him down).
    I guess. Like I said before, Dillingham was listed all year at exactly what he measured at the combine. This is just a lot of casuals flooding in and freaking out for some reason when it was perfectly obvious he was small. Once the ball is tossed in the center of the court, no one gives a about combine measurements. Do you know how long Jayson Tatum's arms are? No, because no one gives a crap if they're slightly longer or slightly shorter than they are.

McCain might go up the board, but his problem is that he's only a shooter. He's more like Jordan Hawkins last year, a great shooter but doesn't handle the ball or set up other players much. Maybe teams think he can play more of a facilitating role, but that's not what he did at Duke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox and Dilly are not the same size. Fox is a couple of inches taller and weighs 20 more pounds. Dilly will put on some weight as his body fills out, but you also don’t want him too big as quickness is one of his biggest assets.
    I agree. He has an Allen Iverson body type... who dominated a more physical era.

Does he has the same heart and drive tho? Because he's gonna be on the floor A LOT

He's so tough to choose bc he can be out of the league in 3y like becoming an allstar

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham might be the best shooter in this draft because in the NBA you can't just wait for open shots, you have to create shots, and RD seems great at step backs etc which is probably a better gauge of shooting for the next level. I think McCain is good at that as well. Those two could do better than Reed Sheppard (whom I want to call Resheed for some reason, but I digress).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, how much of Reed's open shots were due to playing alongside Dillingham? It's just a thought I had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A taller, skinnier Isaiah Thomas. Perfect.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs compe ion would pick with this dude and the Luka or Ant or SGA would abuse this little fellow
    Luka and Ant abuse 95% of the league.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My current mood is Dilly/Knecht. Just get ALL the shooting.

Again, I'm not going to be too disappointed in any choice the Spurs make outside of maybe two nonshooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, how much of Reed's open shots were due to playing alongside Dillingham? It's just a thought I had.

This thread on X has some cool charts comparing the shooting breakdowns of Sheppard and Dillingham: https://x.com/redcooteay/status/1790...559748778?s=46

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Again, I'm not going to be too disappointed in any choice the Spurs make outside of maybe two nonshooters.
    I like that too. I'm either Castle/Carter or Dilly/Knecht.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RD is small but super fast and dynamic. Also when you see his highlights he goes up and slams way easier than Wesley despite being shorter. He’s also a fine passer and another poster pointed out he believes RD was taking more difficult shots than Sheppard while still nailing 44% from 3.

In summary, I think this mitigates your measurement concerns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree, we have to get one shooter at 4 or 8, at least. Still leaves the door open to many options, including Castle at 4 or several longer wings at 8.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox and Dilly are not the same size. Fox is a couple of inches taller and weighs 20 more pounds. Dilly will put on some weight as his body fills out, but you also don’t want him too big as quickness is one of his biggest assets.
    Fox also has a 6'6.5" wingspan vs Dillingham's 6'3" wingspan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a decent chance Dilly won't be there at 8 tbh. Think a team like CHA might be interested in him as BPA, even if he doesn't really fit with them right now. LaMelo Ball is also injured all the time so they may see him as an insurance policy. Who knows. I'm still not ruling out Utah potentially moving up in this draft either.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Pritchard worth a top 8 pick? I'd say no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham as Pritchard is bizarre. They play nothing alike.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie is not a good defender. Tony Parker was not a good defender. I think PG defense is overblown for Elite Offensive Creators.
    Kyrie is actually a pretty good defender. If you'd watch this years playoffs you would know that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some guy typed random numbers on a spreadsheet and somehow that's objective and credible

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Pritchard worth a top 8 pick? I'd say no.

What's your order of preference for 8 assuming Castle goes at 4?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the problem with comps. Who was recently comped to Obi Toppin? And then someone was freaking out, "But Obi Toppin is bad at [such and such]." The hope is you're capturing playing styles, where they get shots, deficiencies, whether they have handles, and all this stuff.

I'm going to say, "Rob Dillingham comps to Stephen Curry." He's going to lead the team to four championships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie is actually a pretty good defender. If you'd watch this years playoffs you would know that
    Define good. Is he anywhere near Rajon Rondo, Marcus Smart levels? Jrue Holiday? All Defense team? No.

Kyrie isn’t doing anything that Dillingham can’t learn to do.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What's your order of preference for 8 assuming Castle goes at 4?
    Not rascal, but for me it's about immediate contribution from at least one of two picks.
    We can't really go into the season with two more prospects that aren't NBA ready when we have so many holes in our roster already.

If we get Castle, he'll surely be in the rotation and a positive contributor, so we can take a swing with #8.
    But then again, drafting both Castle and another non-shooter can't work unless Spurs get at least two legit shooters in FA or via trades.

Imo, Castle+Topic can't work. We'd want Castle to be the secondary creator, but both creators being non-shooters wouldn't work.
    Add Jeremy who can't play with either and the rotation just doesn't work.

If it's Castle at #4, then get either Dillingham or best wing available at #8.
    If Castle isn't there, then best wing available at #4 and BPA at #8.
    I wouldn't oppose getting a veteran big andd two wing rookies.

Thread Information