Page 37 of 91 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How was his agent gonna force other GMs to offer his client a contract? Jesus Christ.

Reaves got absolutely everything out of the Lakers he could, including a trade kicker.
    He should have just played on a 1 year tender and cashed in next year. He’s worth way more than the MLE

at this point he’s legitimately one of the best bargain contracts in the nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, Bruce Brown got a 2 year/$45mil deal that pays him $8+mil more a year than Reaves, with the added flexibility of likely signing an even better contract in two years. In the last year or two of Reaves' contract, he'll basically be making the MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How was his agent gonna force other GMs to offer his client a contract? Jesus Christ.

Reaves got absolutely everything out of the Lakers he could, including a trade kicker.
    There is no “forcing” but what do you think agents do, man? Sit around by their phone and hope a team calls? For someone who usually has pretty good basketball takes, you sure are dense at times about the business side of things.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers having a of an off-season tbh.
    As much as I hate to admit it....you're right..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you realize how much the Spurs have acquired using their cap in the last few years?
    Yeah a handful of SRPs that will either be sold for future SRPs or outright cash

meanwhile next year we will have a very similar roster to the tank team but a much more expensive version of it after Vassell and Collins deals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ok, adding "Agents" to the list of thigns Mr. Body doesn't understand.

Are you not entertained? Davidicus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Count me in for wanting Lillard.

Yes our current strategy with Wemby is a very good one, but it's not the only good one.

Dame is CP3-like from a mentoring standpoint, but can actually play at an extremely high level for the next 3-6 years. I understand the "timeline" argument, but just because they won't align in a perfect storm does not mean that's the only route for a positive outcome, that is worth investing in:

Say we establish a smart, disciplined, and high-chemistry team over the next 2-4 years that other FA's want to come play for? What if Dame on the court gives Wemby space to breathe & grow, with opponent defenses not 100% laser focused on shutting him down? Wouldn't Dame surely mentor Sochan, Vassell, Keldon, etc. (whoever's left lol) into the best versions of themselves? Not to mention he plugs a major hole at PG. There are major positives to this 4-year timeline.

As for the money, yes he's got a huge contract but what are we spending that money on over 4 years that's better, in terms of getting Wemby to superstar status (the absolutely primary goal)? When Dame's contract is up, we max Vic's extension and re-sign Dame to a more appropriate contract as a veteran PG who can space the floor (and maybe he can still ball out after 4 years of Spurs load management + our new training facility).

So the goal would be around year 3-5 we've got some more rookies + 1-2 big FA's ready to ball for a championship.

This is all with a big asterisk that we can get Dame without selling the farm. Would take some poker-face negotiations since we aren't knocking on their door.

Second asterisk is I don't know who Dame is as a person, and I don't know Dame + Pop's relationship. I assume healthy on both counts.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was playing devil's advocate. I rationalized it the same way you did.

Here is my thing: Does Dame win you a ring I'm the next two years? I say no.
    You never know what players may want to join the Spurs if they see a Wemby/Dame team. Sometimes it's about big names drawing in other great talent. Then that's when you get into the championship conversation. Ok, you don't want Dame, fine. Who else do you see coming here anytime soon on their own will that's going to put us in championship contention? If you get a chance to get a player like Dame now, you take it and let the chips fall where they may.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no “forcing” but what do you think agents do, man? Sit around by their phone and hope a team calls? For someone who usually has pretty good basketball takes, you sure are dense at times about the business side of things.
    "Hey, I'll take you and your family out to see Indiana Jones at Alamo and I'll buy the food if you offer a contract to Austin."

"No."

"Oh, okay."

You're just being silly, man. Move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers did do that. They traded the farm for Jabbar.

the hypothetical is that Jordan finds his Pippen earlier than the age of 28.

I didn’t say anything about changing what GS did. I’m saying the Spurs can still follow that model because they would have their first and second star, while trying to get their third like the GS did with Draymond.

Wemby’s comments have more been aligned with winning now. I find it ridiculous that people think we’re still going to get a top 5ish picks for a year or two more. Those days are over.

also, folks have said that Dame’s contract ends at the right time to where it does not hamper any of our future plans.
    "Some players have tried to win the championship, win a ring for years, and haven't made it. I don't want to be one of those," Wembanyama said. "My goal is going to be to get closer and closer every time to the ring and to learn how to make it."

You're not wrong for wanting to get him help, but if we're going to mortgage anything it should be for a young player who can grow with him. Imagine two years from now Wemby has his NBA legs under him but Dame is starting to fall apart. It's not an unrealistic scenario since he's missed 77 games in the last two seasons. Another all star is tired of their team. They want to come here to play with Wemby but we've still got Dame under contract for two more years on what would be considered one of the worst contracts in the league. How do we get out from that and move on someone who could actually push us towards a championship? It would take all our draft capital just to get someone to take him off our hands. You're willing to risk that in order to go 41-41 for the next couple years and fight for a play in spot to get bounced in the first round AND get a crappy draft pick? Doesn't make sense. If we're going to go all in go after someone 5-7 years younger who will still be in their prime when Wemby is starting his.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers have crushed this FA and last trade deadline. They have gone from chasing names to actual team building and it sucks.

Pacers have done a great job and taking calculated gambles while securing their best player long term and having a young exciting roster

Spurs have done a great job but hard not to feel they took foot off gas a bit much…again, I like overall where we are at, but man, this was a disappointing FA so far overall opportunity wise and this is from someone who has been very vocal about SA needing to be patient too. They have been a little TOO patient in some regards unfortunately

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was playing devil's advocate. I rationalized it the same way you did.

Here is my thing: Does Dame win you a ring I'm the next two years? I say no.
    I say it gives us a brief (maybe 24-25 & 25-26) ahead of the young core's schedule, chance to ring if we caught some breaks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers have crushed this FA and last trade deadline. They have gone from chasing names to actual team building and it sucks.

Pacers have done a great job and taking calculated gambles while securing their best player long term and having a young exciting roster

Spurs have done a great job but hard not to feel they took foot off gas a bit much…again, I like overall where we are at, but man, this was a disappointing FA so far overall opportunity wise and this is from someone who has been very vocal about SA needing to be patient too. They have been a little TOO patient in some regards unfortunately
    Agreed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they not at the floor with the Cedi acquisition?
    Floor update:

Keldon Johnson – $20,000,000
    Doug McDermott – $13,750,000
    Devonte’ Graham – $12,100,000
    Zach Collins – $7,700,000
    Khem Birch – $6,985,000
    Devin Vassell – $5,887,899
    Jeremy Sochan – $5,316,960
    Malaki Branham – $3,071,880
    Blake Wesley – $2,504,640
    Charles Bassey – $2,500,000
    Jshua Primo – $4,341,600
    Victor Wembanyama – $12,158,760
    Tre Jones – ~$10,000,000
    Julian Champagnie – ~$3,000,000
    Cedi Osman – $6,718,842
    Lamar Stevens – ~$500,000

Current Total: $116,535,581
    Salary Floor: $122,400,000

So it looks like the Spurs are below the floor by about $6 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still about 6M or so south as it looks.
    Yeah but assuming Sid gets a deal and they fill out the roster I think they are actually pretty close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we really impressed the Lakers picked up Gabe Vincent, a player no one heard of a six months ago, and Taurean Prince? Oh yeah, they 'upgraded' from Mo Bamba to the other massively disappointing UT big man, Jaxson Hayes.

Rui and Austin Reaves were already on their team, so they kept them. Big deal. They made the WTC in the same way Dallas made the WTC the year before -- because somebody had to -- and both teams got slaughtered.

The Lakers are doing alright, finally not making splashy moves, but their fortunes still depend on Anthony Davis deciding he wants to play basketball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Father time finally caught up with Lebron and he's done.
    Their franchise player is 30 years old AD who simply can't stay healthy and he'll be up for an extension next summer.
    They're not going to win .

Which players should've Spurs chased?
    Reaves was obviously the player everyone wanted, but giving him the max would be a huge overpay and the Lakers would've probably matched it. The only thing Spurs missed was messing with the Lakers.

Who else? No FA does much for this team. Brook would've been nice, but he's 35 and got paid by the Bucks.
    I'd like Spurs to get McDaniels, but it's not like there were any must have targets in this FA class.

And there will be many trade opportunities with half the league being close to blowing it up and most stars not being happy with their situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who else do you see coming here anytime soon on their own will that's going to put us in championship contention?
    The players they draft in 2024 and 2025

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Floor update:

Khem Birch – $6,985,000
    Jshua Primo – $4,341,600
    Tre Jones – ~$10,000,000
    Cedi Osman – $6,718,842

Still need a big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They obviously favor playing it ultra safe which means nothing atrocious is probably going to happen but that also really limits the upside. Honestly they're probably right to do things this way. I remember 2-3 years ago when everyone was all over Toronto's FO and look how bad they've ed up in that time span.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only devils advocate I can think of is if you are worried about Vassell knee at all and you know you have to pay him 100M+, is paying Vassell+another vet combined 45/50M any worse than just paying Dame in that context?

If you are doing the Bobby Marks deal where it’s Doug/Vassell/ChA pick only, the above question comes into play and makes it seem not as bad. I just doubt SA could get it done with just 1 pick
    Yeah, I mean, I'm not a super hard no against Lillard .... but it'd take something like Wemby requesting it and the Spurs not having to give up more than one first rounder.

Last year Lillard was great. The previous year though he was terrible for a lot of the season. He was dealing with an injury that season but if that's a preview of an old Lillard, that was not a pretty sight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big assumption we whiffed. More probably we never swung.
    True. After BW’s “we really like the off-season our guys have had” comment he made this week, it’s very possible Spurs were content and not interested in anything to begin with. Cedi sorta fell in their laps but he doesn’t move the needle at all. Spurs likely just want to see what they have this year with Wemby and co. and respond accordingly next Summer. The “slow and steady” approach that’s been rumored seems to be the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Hey, I'll take you and your family out to see Indiana Jones at Alamo and I'll buy the food if you offer a contract to Austin."

"No."

"Oh, okay."

You're just being silly, man. Move on.
    This may be your stupidest, fantasyland view of how things work yet.

Austin Reaves just got paid less than Max Strus and Bruce Brown. The agent’s ONLY job is to get him paid. Agents do this by getting on to phones with GM’s and talk to them about why they should be offering his guy a deal. It is obvious the RFA tag was a major hurdle in teams extending Reaves an offer - the agent’s job was to help those teams get over those reservations and secure the bag for his client. As it’s been reported, Reaves is represented by some clowns who only rep afterthought players. That’s also on him for hiring from the Bargain Bin.

I hope you’re never put in a position of negotiating anything of significance beyond buying a car, because you are obviously clueless about even the most basic of principles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Father time finally caught up with Lebron and he's done.
    Their franchise player is 30 years old AD who simply can't stay healthy and he'll be up for an extension next summer.
    They're not going to win .

Which players should've Spurs chased?
    Reaves was obviously the player everyone wanted, but giving him the max would be a huge overpay and the Lakers would've probably matched it. The only thing Spurs missed was messing with the Lakers.

Who else? No FA does much for this team. Brook would've been nice, but he's 35 and got paid by the Bucks.
    I'd like Spurs to get McDaniels, but it's not like there were any must have targets in this FA class.

And there will be many trade opportunities with half the league being close to blowing it up and most stars not being happy with their situation.
    Yup.

There was almost literally no viable players available. Meanwhile other teams assassinated themselves with massive overpays for FVV, Bane, and others. Some teams made tinkering changes, like Indiana and Cleveland. They did alright.

Meanwhile the Spurs keep their powder dry, pick up a couple possible rotation guys for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Floor update:

Khem Birch – $6,985,000
    Jshua Primo – $4,341,600
    Tre Jones – ~$10,000,000
    Cedi Osman – $6,718,842

Probably won't even have to give out any special deals to get there after they sign Sidy and whomever else to fill out the roster.

Thread Information